How I would trade 2017:2018

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

ChrisRyanSaints
Club Player

How I would trade 2017:2018

Priorities; Rockcliff, J.Kelly Z.Jones and P.Wright/Equivilent
And wait for it ...
Trade P.McCartin. Heres why
Bruce, Membrey, Battle. - future
To make 194cm paddy a focus is old school when we have 3 quality key forwards.
Look at hawks era - gunstan, breust rioli puo they shared the forwardline no major focus beast.

Lets get a second ruckman/forward. Can Longer/Hockey/Pierce do this? Great if so otherwise lets get a P.Wright.

Rockcliff, J.Kelly, Z.Jones for 2 first rounds and cash

P.McCartin (in form but still one dimensional) for P.Wright/Equivilent

This way wed be competing (well we actually may surprise this year if good run continues) but defo in 2018 and with P.Wright instead of paddy it means we have better structure to keep competing 2019 onwards

I am really concerned we are going to make paddy the forward focus. Hes a great kid and has beautiful skills but does he fit for us?? Knowing we have 3 forwards faster more agile. We should spend paddy to get hat second skilled ruck/forward.

Club Player

Re: How I would trade 2017:2018

Old school?? Watching Kennedy last night shows what a mobile big strong marking forward can offer a team. Paddy will be that, more so than Bruce and Members.

the invisible and the non existent look very much alike
Goose is king
SS Hall of Fame

You left Roughead, Hale and Franklin out of the Hawks era. Add them in, make an argument and we can discuss.
Bruce and Membrey aren't even in the top 10 goal kickers this year. McClunken is required.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Do we need Z Jones? Seems very similar to Newnes imo.

I know you cant have too many good players so I would take him if he wants to come - just dont see him as priority.

I think we need more information on Battle on Marshall before we make any big decisions on Paddy.

If Marshall is actually good then Hickey might be trade bait.

I am all in for Josh Kelly but if he decides to stay up there then I am happy to simply enter the draft with 2 first rounder OR trade up to a top 3 pick and just get the next Josh Kelly out of the draft.

Clearly we would get a a top 4 draft pick for Paddy. So we could end up with two top 5 draft picks. 2 and 3 for example.
Last edited by Con Gorozidis on Sat 13 May 2017 12:02pm, edited 1 time in total.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

ChrisRyanSaints wrote:
I am really concerned we are going to make paddy the forward focus.
Why?

Today there will be 4 marking targets in Bruce, Membrey, Roo and Weller.

I doubt very much that the club will convert to only one target.

That the club last year picked up Battle and Marshall is a clear sign to me that they want a range of marking targets.

Though as Packer showed with Ch9. If the price is right you sell. Is there a trade "Alan Bond" out there?

Meanwhile we just keep getting Paddy fitter, and fitter each year.

Also some players are more a slow burn. Look at Lynch. Was quiet with both us and the Crows for a number of years at each club before he arrived.
Last edited by saintsRrising on Sat 13 May 2017 12:24pm, edited 1 time in total.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
The_President
Club Player

We're in a very fortunate position right now.

For the first time in his short career, Paddy is playing VFL because he's been told he's not up to AFL level...Not because
- He's young
- Recovering from injury/headknocks.

It's probably the first time in his whole footballing life that he's been told he isn't worthy of a place in the best team.

This is where we'll find what Paddy is made of. He clearly has more natural ability than Bruce (No offence Josh)
Bruce hasn't been setting the world on fire.. works extremely hard, but drops simple marks and misses easy shots.

If Paddy wants to work in the VFL, he'll demand a place in the side. It all comes down to how hard he wants to work.

If he earns his spot back, he'll be a monster for us.. If he doesn't he'll be talked about like Tambling and co... It on him.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote: I am all in for Josh Kelly but if he decides to stay up there then I am happy to simply enter the draft with 2 first rounder OR trade up to a top 3 pick and just get the next Josh Kelly out of the draft.
You make it sound so easy Con. If only it were so easy to identify just who will be elite before they're drafted.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

st.byron wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote: I am all in for Josh Kelly but if he decides to stay up there then I am happy to simply enter the draft with 2 first rounder OR trade up to a top 3 pick and just get the next Josh Kelly out of the draft.

You make it sound so easy Con. If only it were so easy to identify just who will be elite before they're drafted.
Is it all that hard?
Kelly was pick 2. Bont was pick 4.
I mean it was common knowledge they were pretty good.
Everyone knew Kelly was going to be good before he was drafted.
If you have two top 5 picks u can get guarantee at least one gun.

twirlyhair
Club Player

ChrisRyanSaints wrote:Priorities; Rockcliff, J.Kelly Z.Jones and P.Wright/Equivilent
And wait for it ...
Look at hawks era - gunstan, breust rioli puo they shared the forwardline no major focus beast.

Lets get a second ruckman/forward. Can Longer/Hockey/Pierce do this? Great if so otherwise lets get a P.Wright.

This way wed be competing (well we actually may surprise this year if good run continues) but defo in 2018 and with P.Wright instead of paddy it means we have better structure to keep competing 2019 onwards

I am really concerned we are going to make paddy the forward focus. Hes a great kid and has beautiful skills but does he fit for us?? Knowing we have 3 forwards faster more agile. We should spend paddy to get hat second skilled ruck/forward.
Would be crazy to loose Paddy. Has shown that he can clunk marks, and that is what we need. Bruce is not cutting it as a marking forward, great pressure and competes really well, but he can't be relied on to take the grabs that Paddy will be able to. He's critical to our moving forward.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
st.byron wrote:

Is it all that hard?
Kelly was pick 2. Bont was pick 4.
I mean it was common knowledge they were pretty good.
Everyone knew Kelly was going to be good before he was drafted.
If you have two top 5 picks u can get guarantee at least one gun.
It's a lottery. Have a look at this list of all time draft picks. Even in the last 10 years plenty of hits but plenty of misses as well. I'm sure at the time the people who selected them all thought they were going to be guns because they were top 5 picks.

http://www.afl.com.au/draft/draft-history

ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

polak, clark, sampi

4,5, and 6 in the super draft

Brennan, Walsh, 3 and 4

Silvia, Ray, McClean 3,4,5

4 Tambling

3 Ellis

Gumbleton, Hansen luenberger, 2, 3and 4

Masten, Morton, Grant, 3,4 and 5

Hartlet Hill 3, and 4

Trangrove, Morabito, Cunningham, 2,4 and 5

Bennel, poles 2 and 5

Hoskin-Elliot, Buntine, 4 and 5

Mostly GOP's players there, with only a few real duds but just shows even top 5 picks aren't all superstars despite everyone knowing they have talent

takeaway
Club Player

In 2-3 years Paddy will be our best big forward by a long shot. I am surprised he has been given so many games in the ones to date. He is a big lug and was always going to take time.
He is currently learning how to contest and minimise his chances of getting his head whacked, needs a bit more fitness (diabetes is not ideal), but he already knows how to move around the forward line.

The impatience of some on this forum is unbelievable, or do we just blindly follow Barrett?

Given the 2014 draft again, and knowing our current forward setup, at No. 1 I would take .... Paddy McCartin

saynta
Saintsational Legend

ChrisRyanSaints wrote:Priorities; Rockcliff, J.Kelly Z.Jones and P.Wright/Equivilent
And wait for it ...

I

You are having a lend of all of us, aren't you?

Yes , very funny. Ha ha, :D :lol: :roll: :mrgreen: