VFL Rd 5 Sandringham vs Coburg

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Re: VFL Rd 5 Sandringham vs Coburg- Radio

RODOS wrote:
CURLY wrote:How'd Tommy Goodwin ruck for Coburg we were all over him before going cold last pre season.
lippy
Yeah he has a crack loves the physical stuff

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
RODOS
Club Player

was there for the second half.

- paddy was basically unstoppable if it was kicked anywhere near him. Too strong in the one on ones, clunked them in the packs, clunked them with the single mitt, eyes for the footy but still cleaned up anyone that got in his way
- long was very classy in the last. Paddy won it for us, but long was robin to his batman
- Dmac is a bull and hits in hard. Nice goal in the dying stages, 50 out near the boundary
- Red headed irishman has a nice kick on him. Spotted up paddy in the fifty in traffic in the third, just in front of me - everyone else was kicking it over his head.
- Coburg had a lot of numbers in the back fifty in the third, our forwards couldn't find much space - but for the second half of that quarter we played a high press, maybe in response to their flooding, and although scoring was hard we were in control. In the last quarter coburg gave us more space in our forward 50, hence paddy getting on top
- Phillips went down in the last and looked in serious trouble
- Lots of talk re RoMA, and he looks very good, but as far as playing FF, paddy is the man and it was clear he was instructed to play deep as the #1 target in that last quarter
- Got a bit heated out there at stages, long is fiery character, he's gonna miss some games over the course of his career. They were giving it to Pmac too but he wasn't paying it too much attention. Seemed pretty confident in himself which is nice and the opposite of his body language earlier on in his career when playing seniors. He seemed hungry too. A sandy player (long?) got a free right in front of goal in the 3rd quarter, paddy tried to play on and kick it himself. It went through but the ump called it back.
- NOK is building
- Hughey was strong down back in the third, building also

It was a pretty drab, overcast day, but much better conditions than what the boys are used to at sandy with the wind coming off the bay.
Last edited by RODOS on Sun 14 May 2017 7:18pm, edited 1 time in total.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Thanks for the report!

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

RODOS wrote:was there for the second half.

- paddy was basically unstoppable if it was kicked anywhere near him. To strong in the one on ones, clunked them in the packs, clunked them with the single mitt, eyes for the footy but still cleaned up anyone that got in his way
- long was very classy in the last. Paddy won it for us.
Sounds like he is demanding selection.

RODOS
Club Player

bigcarl wrote:

- paddy was basically unstoppable if it was kicked anywhere near him. To strong in the one on ones, clunked them in the packs, clunked them with the single mitt, eyes for the footy but still cleaned up anyone that got in his way
hope so! :D

saynta
Saintsational Legend

RODOS wrote:
bigcarl wrote:

Thanks for the report mate.

How was young Freeman.

RODOS
Club Player

saynta wrote:
RODOS wrote:
bigcarl wrote:

Thanks for the report mate.

How was young Freeman.
No trub. Re Freezer - I didn't see him. Heard he copped a head knock and didn't come back on, may have been before I got there. Either that or he was playing on the far wing and was just too far away.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Thanks mate. Much appreciated.

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

Bruce out, Paddy in.

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
RODOS
Club Player

CURLY wrote: Yeah he has a crack loves the physical stuff
Yeah I wasn't paying too much attention to the coburg boys, but there were a few ball ups in front of me and in one of them the 'burg ruckman laid a crunching tackle. I remember thinking how I was glad I didn't choose football as a career path. Be interesting to see how he went hit out wise. Seemed like a big, Preuss-type ruck

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

From the preview early in the week -
Part of the issue for Sandy has been closing out game as the Zebras are yet to win a fourth quarter. With Coburg coming off three straight losses by over 10 goals, Sandringham would feel confident that if they can find some separation early, they could punish the Lions as the game goes on.
Unfortunately Sandy DID NOT create seperation early But DID play the last quarter well- It was the ONLY quarter they played well-
Coburg ran the ball freely all day until the last- with the Zebras players corralling and playing off the Coburg players. Coburg players marked and kicked , creating space. Plenty of head shaking from the Saints coaches who were sitting in the stands.

Yes Paddy had a good last quarter but did miss a couple, and Marshall was moved further up the ground

Freeman collided with a Coburg player front on when taking a mark- I said as he got up- he looks concussed- when play went down the other end he was checked by Drs and did not play the last or most of the 3rd.

anyone hear what Ed suffered?- I thought knee but someone else thought ankle- he certainly didn't move.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:Coburg are winless with a percentage of 53 before this game and we only just beat them. What are the excusss this week?

Too cold, too cloudy, maybe not enough wind??
In 1995, I seem to recall that a young and hopeless St. Kilda outfit beat the crap out of a Carlton team that would go on to be premiers...
Sometimes teams and players can just turn it on

dsav
Club Player

shrodes
SS Life Member

- paddy was basically unstoppable if it was kicked anywhere near him. Too strong in the one on ones, clunked them in the packs, clunked them with the single mitt, eyes for the footy but still cleaned up anyone that got in his way
- long was very classy in the last. Paddy won it for us, but long was robin to his batman
- Dmac is a bull and hits in hard. Nice goal in the dying stages, 50 out near the boundary
- Red headed irishman has a nice kick on him. Spotted up paddy in the fifty in traffic in the third, just in front of me - everyone else was kicking it over his head.
- Coburg had a lot of numbers in the back fifty in the third, our forwards couldn't find much space - but for the second half of that quarter we played a high press, maybe in response to their flooding, and although scoring was hard we were in control. In the last quarter coburg gave us more space in our forward 50, hence paddy getting on top
- Phillips went down in the last and looked in serious trouble
- Lots of talk re RoMA, and he looks very good, but as far as playing FF, paddy is the man and it was clear he was instructed to play deep as the #1 target in that last quarter
- Got a bit heated out there at stages, long is fiery character, he's gonna miss some games over the course of his career. They were giving it to Pmac too but he wasn't paying it too much attention. Seemed pretty confident in himself which is nice and the opposite of his body language earlier on in his career when playing seniors. He seemed hungry too. A sandy player (long?) got a free right in front of goal in the 3rd quarter, paddy tried to play on and kick it himself. It went through but the ump called it back.
- NOK is building
- Hughey was strong down back in the third, building also

It was a pretty drab, overcast day, but much better conditions than what the boys are used to at sandy with the wind coming off the bay.
Who rucked for Sandy and how did they go with big Hickey out?

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Lewis and Holmes rucked
Good to hear Ed seems ok and was up again
Around the state leagues: Who starred in the twos for your club?

State league affiliate: Sandringham (VFL)
This weekend: Coburg v Sandringham - Sunday, May 14, 2pm, Piranha Park

Luckless midfielder Nathan Freeman came off the ground just before half-time due to concussion and didn't return in the second half of Sandringham's 11-point come-from-behind win.

The yet-to-debut Freeman, whose career has been ravaged by repetitive hamstring injuries, has played at VFL level in the past five weeks after struggling with a hip complaint in recent months.

Sandringham coach Lindsay Gilbee described Freeman's injury concern as "a slight head knock that wasn't going to be risked in the second half".

"He went low on a ball and got caught head-high," Gilbee told AFL.com.au on Sunday.

The Zebras coach added key forward Paddy McCartin "not only banged the door down but kicked off the hinges as well" after his four-goal performance, while Shane Savage had 33 touches and "used the ball well" playing on the wing and across half-back.

First-year midfielder Ed Phillips, the No.56 pick in the 2016 NAB AFL Draft, sustained an apparent lower leg injury and was taken off the ground on a stretcher.

"He seemed to be up and OK in the rooms after the game … so he'll get scanned to see what the extent of that injury is," Gilbee said.
Last edited by saintbrat on Mon 15 May 2017 6:55pm, edited 2 times in total.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Wayne42 wrote:Bruce out, Paddy in.
You serious or trolling again??

The question is if Paddy came in, who would he replace? I can't see Skunk or Baroose being dropped and we won't rest Roo.

And why mess with the structure in such a big game against the improving Swines?

I'd leave Paddy in the Magoos. Maybe the following week play him against Footscray

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Vc v C
Last edited by saintbrat on Mon 15 May 2017 6:57pm, edited 2 times in total.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
RODOS
Club Player

shrodes wrote:
Holmes mainly, pierce did a bit.

Holmes was funny to watch, while everyone else on the ground were sledging and complaining to the umps, holmes looked like he was in another world, completely focused on learning his job. No one bothered giving him any lip. I think he did well but I was on the fence in the pocket (whichever end we were kicking to) so a lot of the match was obscured.

Next time i'll take a more holistic approach, like this guy - :shock:

maverick
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:
Wayne42 wrote:Bruce out, Paddy in.
You serious or trolling again??

The question is if Paddy came in, who would he replace? I can't see Skunk or Baroose being dropped and we won't rest Roo.

And why mess with the structure in such a big game against the improving Swines?

I'd leave Paddy in the Magoos. Maybe the following week play him against Footscray
Maybe because the structure on Saturday did not work, roo needs to play on a wing.
Time and time again we bombed the ball long and had no marking option

shrodes
SS Life Member

RODOS wrote:
shrodes wrote:
Holmes mainly, pierce did a bit.

Holmes was funny to watch, while everyone else on the ground were sledging and complaining to the umps, holmes looked like he was in another world, completely focused on learning his job. No one bothered giving him any lip. I think he did well but I was on the fence in the pocket (whichever end we were kicking to) so a lot of the match was obscured.

Next time i'll take a more holistic approach, like this guy - :shock:
Good stuff, thanks. Have they played Marshall in the ruck much this year? Or is he playing permanent forward?

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

HIT OUTS and other Stats...

Holmes 29

Pierce 29

Marshal 2 Which would suggest that he did not ruck much.
14 disposals, 8 marks 3 goals 1, 5 tackles and rated our 4th best.

Paddy
18disposals, 14 marks 4 goals 5, 1 tackle and rated our 4th best.

Rice 3rd best.

And NOK second best with his disposals. Possibly the first time that NOK has been rated that high?

DMak rated our best player.

So it could well be DMak and Rice competing for Websters place.

Personally I would love Rice to debut. He just looks like a "footballer".. Reads the play well and makes good decisions. Is solidly built too.
Last edited by saintsRrising on Mon 15 May 2017 5:40pm, edited 2 times in total.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

shrodes wrote:. Have they played Marshall in the ruck much this year? Or is he playing permanent forward?
Being played as a key forward from what I have seen,

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Also of interest from the reports is that DMak played forward some of the time and inded he scored one goal.

So while he is not a small small at 184cm perhaps our coaches are thinking of trialing him as a small forward option?

maverick
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:HIT OUTS and other Stats...

Holmes 29

Pierce 29

Marshal 2 Which would suggest that he did not ruck much.
14 disposals, 8 marks 3 goals 1, 5 tackles and rated our 4th best.

Paddy
18disposals, 14 marks 4 goals 5, 1 tackle and rated our 4th best.

Rice 3rd best.

And NOK second best with his disposals. Possibly the first time that NOK has been rated that high?

DMak rated our best player.

So it could well be DMak and Rice competing for Websters place.

Personally I would love Rice to debut. He just looks like a "footballer".. Reads the play well and makes good decisions. Is solidly built too.
I agree SRR I would like rice in the team.
We can't lose sight of constant development and we must promote players earning their spots in the twos.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

maverick wrote:
I agree SRR I would like rice in the team.
We can't lose sight of constant development and we must promote players earning their spots in the twos.
Agree.

I think that we need to keep rotating players through the seniors.

Sincs has thrived in his new role.

Long was not quite up to it yet, but will have learnt.

I have a feeling that they will go for Rice or DMak to replace Webster rather than Savage.