Goddard

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

Re: Goddard

Brown has played well - the move has reinvigorated him. Just getting away from brainless bucks must be a relief. But we've been under the radar a fair bit. Things will step up now. Watch them trying to isolate Brown a lot more and try and put him under pressure with his kicking. Brown been pretty injury riddled and I don't have a huge amount of faith in his body.

Brown to the club did worry me as a top-up move that would stop Goddards development. Ideally Goddard would be starting to form his partnership with Jake right now. You need a super-tight back two to deal with the pressures of high-level footy.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

I don't think Goddard and Brown are in competition.

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

They are. Very much so. They will be grooming Goddard to be that central pillar the defence revolveds around. He is strong, will get stronger and is also a very good flat kick for a big man. Not quick but if can read the play well should be able to cover things well.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

On the last line?

Don't reckon he has the attributes

Readers of the play, and motion players are not normally used as last line defenders or forwards.

Attributes are normally
Speed off the mark, power and reaction time. Ability to defend or beat a defender.
I don't think Hugh or indeed Carlisle are suited deep

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Does Hugh mainly play full back in the VFL?

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

There is no such thing as a "last line' anymore. You want a really fluid system with defenders covering each other as oppo players are designed to try ad run defenders out of position. Brown will often press up quite high if required following his man or setting up the press and then you see Jake, Gears or Gilbo acting like a sweeper. Can't be one-dimensional on the backline just as you can't on the forward line. Coaches are too good at manipulating static setups.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

There absolutely is

Those anchors are referred to as 'deep' forwards or 'last line'

And if all forwards push up... wicket keeper (which you don't want to allow Alex dance or Dane Rampe to do)

At stoppage, the last line defender will take the most appropriate deep forward.

The general set up is a fish bone set up, sometimes 'U' set up or pair/mini cluster

You will rarely see Nathan brown dragged up high, he will just roll on to the deep tall if they switch
Carlisle will pick up the higher forward

Geary, Roberton, Webster and the other defender will also constantly switch opponents so they set up in the right position to play their role. It's why theirs is so much finger pointing and communication at stoppage behind the footy as they shuffle and organise

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Nick Coughlin plays Full Back at Sandy, Darragh Joyce has also played as a deep defender

Hugh played at CHB last week, occasionally was dragged deeper

loris
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:There absolutely is

Those anchors are referred to as 'deep' forwards or 'last line'

And if all forwards push up... wicket keeper (which you don't want to allow Alex dance or Dane Rampe to do)

At stoppage, the last line defender will take the most appropriate deep forward.

The general set up is a fish bone set up, sometimes 'U' set up or pair/mini cluster

You will rarely see Nathan brown dragged up high, he will just roll on to the deep tall if they switch
Carlisle will pick up the higher forward

Geary, Roberton, Webster and the other defender will also constantly switch opponents so they set up in the right position to play their role. It's why theirs is so much finger pointing and communication at stoppage behind the footy as they shuffle and organise
That was a very informative post BM............ it's what I've observed in games, however you explain it so logically.

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:Does Hugh mainly play full back in the VFL?
You're on the money D-man. From what I've seen he plays very deep a lot of the time in that real anchor role. He's very vocal too. They are clearly grooming him to be that general set-up type that all premiership teams have who can get the defence re-organised on the fly like Hodge, Maxwell, etc. They tend to play behind the ball a fair bit so they can see the whole field.

But FB/CHB are almost meaningless distinctions these days like FF/CHF. Some people are stuck in a really antiquated way of thinking. AFL footy is so much about fluidity these days. Any sort of static structure gets exploited straight away. With the over-crowding of modern footy being able to cleverly create gaps on the field that quick players can run on to to open up play and score goals has been crucial ever since Pagens paddock.

Goddards speed is a bit of concern but if he has footy smarts that won't be an issue. From what I've seen he reads the play pretty well. Needs to get his tank up to lug all that weight around. Hopefully will be a brilliant deep anchor backmen for us and is clearly being developed that way with Carlisel the more aggressive, searching CHB type. I don't see why you couldn't "manage" Brown a few weeks and try God out. If Brown went down we need a backup who can slot in nicely if we want to play finals dis year.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Is as fast as Billy Longer

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
dragit
Saintsational Legend

Apparently he measured elite in the draft testing:

2.98 sec - 20m sprint
&
10.48 min - 3km

So he can't be too bad when fit.

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

dragit wrote:Apparently he measured elite in the draft testing:

2.98 sec - 20m sprint
&
10.48 min - 3km

those numbers mean nothing to me.
I think 12 seconds for 100m is almost Olympic standard, that's all I know...
When I lived in Melbourne, I ran the Tan Track in about 18 minutes, but I know Tiger Matthew Richardson could do it in about 11 or 12 minutes :shock:
(He has longer legs than me, I measure 168 cm, he is at least 10cm taller)

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

WellardSaint wrote:

2.98 sec - 20m sprint
&
10.48 min - 3km

When I lived in Melbourne, I ran the Tan Track in about 18 minutes, but I know Tiger Matthew Richardson could do it in about 11 or 12 minutes :shock:
10.48 for 3k is quick. Maybe he's only good in straight lines as his change of direction isn't much chop. I hope he can play some good footy for Sandy and demand a spot in the firsts

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
saynta
Saintsational Legend

WellardSaint wrote:

2.98 sec - 20m sprint
&
10.48 min - 3km

No. One of the irish guys runs sub 11 seconds for 100 metres.