Tom Hickey injury?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

Tom Hickey injury?

Has anyone heard any news regarding Hickey's injury?

Rocket
Club Player

Re: Tom Hickey injury?

It didn't look good. His leg got stuck and twisted on a sharp angle.

Assume scans this morning. Fingers crossed.

SemperFidelis
SS Life Member

Always loyal
Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

Bummer for the big dude. Longer gets an extended shot at it now. Hopefully Hicks can come back strong later in the year and push for selection. Its great to have two strong rucks pushing each other - they've helped each other get better no doubt.

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

News could be worse and there is a bye in there but it will now give Billy a run at it

That said its pretty harsh on Hickey saying he has been in poor form when in the 3 games he has played he has averaged 12 possessions, 3 marks, 4 tackles, 30 hitouts and doing so against against arguably the 3 best ruckman in the league in Gawn, Martin and Grundy.

Still a big fan and hopefully this short break will freshen him up

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
supersaints
Club Player

Nows youls all know why I've been bangin on about Ruck depth for the last two years, stand up all yous who wanted Longer traded by now.. it's like bangin ya head on the wall but once more our ruck stocks are on par with other teams.. you need a second ruck who can play adequately to cover injury and form. Longer is ok the long stint will help advance him further... That being said I hope Hickey Recovers quickly ....

And the president said " I did not have sex with that woman"
And our former president said " Football is like golf" 

Go Sainters !!!!!
Vazelos
Club Player

We have plenty of rucks opens up the door now for others to perform at Sandy and possibly senior team...

Toy Saint
SS Hall of Fame

Not sure Holmes is up to senior selection....

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Toy Saint wrote:Not sure Holmes is up to senior selection....
Agree with your there unfortunately.

Probably his last year.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Bummer. Well at least we have a capable replacement in Longer. He's not the footballer that Hickey is, but he has his strengths as demonstrated against Mumford.

A knee injury while being managed. Very unlucky for the big bloke.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

What about Lew-dog Pierce, how's he going?

I've heard a few people say he's going to be the best of the lot, but 5 years in he's played 1 game and seems to be our 5th choice ruckmen now?

I know big guys take a long time, but there's only so many years you can keep a player on your list without playing senior games… Ruckmen almost need to be drafted 2-3 years later than anyone else.

I thought Witts was a bit of a spud, but he looks to be just hitting his straps now at 24.

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

supersaints wrote:Nows youls all know why I've been bangin on about Ruck depth for the last two years, stand up all yous who wanted Longer traded by now.. it's like bangin ya head on the wall but once more our ruck stocks are on par with other teams.. you need a second ruck who can play adequately to cover injury and form. Longer is ok the long stint will help advance him further... That being said I hope Hickey Recovers quickly ....
At the end of last year we offered Longer to GWS in a trade. We were keen to get it done, they were keen to get him. In the end he didn't want to go, so it fell through. Seems the club wasn't that keen on him, either.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

He has begun his therapy

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Lewie is contracted till the end of 2019. We have plenty of ruck depth and Lewie is a big man on the move!

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
stonecold
SS Life Member

Bernard Shakey wrote:Lewie is contracted till the end of 2019. We have plenty of ruck depth and Lewie is a big man on the move!
On current form, on the move to where?????

'Cause StoneCold Said So'!!!!!

We will be great again once Billy is back playing!!!!!

The 'Last Post', it's the gift that keeps giving 📯📯📯📯📯
Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

stonecold wrote:
Bernard Shakey wrote:Lewie is contracted till the end of 2019. We have plenty of ruck depth and Lewie is a big man on the move!
He's not scared of the dark and will be playing senior AFL footy before you can turn the lights on.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
supersaints
Club Player

White Winmar wrote:
supersaints wrote:Nows youls all know why I've been bangin on about Ruck depth for the last two years, stand up all yous who wanted Longer traded by now.. it's like bangin ya head on the wall but once more our ruck stocks are on par with other teams.. you need a second ruck who can play adequately to cover injury and form. Longer is ok the long stint will help advance him further... That being said I hope Hickey Recovers quickly ....
At the end of last year we offered Longer to GWS in a trade. We were keen to get it done, they were keen to get him. In the end he didn't want to go, so it fell through. Seems the club wasn't that keen on him, either.
So you know this as fact first hand..really ..... seems crazy we would then go out and offer him a contract extension, if we didn't want him.

Go Sainters !!!!!
supersaints
Club Player

White Winmar wrote:
So you know this as fact first hand..really ..... seems crazy we would then go out and offer him a contract extension, if we didn't want him.

Seems Ammet Bain's is a liar then, cause he wants him, here's what he said
ST KILDA says it is committed to retaining ruckman Billy Longer despite the 23-year-old falling behind Tom Hickey in the pecking order.

The club's chief operating officer Ameet Bains told NAB AFL Trade Radio that Longer was needed to provide competition in the ruck.

"We're not looking to trade Billy, we signed him for two years earlier this year," Bains said.

"He was outstanding in 2015 … (but) had a pretty disjointed season this year and Tom Hickey had a breakout year and emerged like Billy did the previous year.

"We're in a really fortunate position where we've got ruckmen who are at similar parts of their career that are quite competitive against each other.

"That's driving the guys in a really productive way."

Go Sainters !!!!!
supersaints
Club Player

White Winmar wrote:

Seems Ammet Bain's is a liar then, cause he wants him, here's what he said
ST KILDA says it is committed to retaining ruckman Billy Longer despite the 23-year-old falling behind Tom Hickey in the pecking order.

The club's chief operating officer Ameet Bains told NAB AFL Trade Radio that Longer was needed to provide competition in the ruck.

"We're not looking to trade Billy, we signed him for two years earlier this year," Bains said.

"He was outstanding in 2015 … (but) had a pretty disjointed season this year and Tom Hickey had a breakout year and emerged like Billy did the previous year.

"We're in a really fortunate position where we've got ruckmen who are at similar parts of their career that are quite competitive against each other.

"That's driving the guys in a really productive way."

Go Sainters !!!!!
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

They are also valuable commodities who could get us something more than a back up?

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

saintbrat wrote:He has begun his therapy
He's moving well already

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

supersaints wrote:
White Winmar wrote:
If the market has interest, you're pretty foolish to ignore what might be in it for you as a club. It was a possible deal for Steele, or to get us back into the second round for the pick used on Freeman. Lonie and Sinclair also attracted interest. In the end, none of it eventuated and they settled for our second pick in this year's draft. I can assure you Billy was on thin ice in 2016. Came back to preseason in less than ideal shape, plus surgery and concussion issues, Hickey's great improvement along with Lewis Pierce coming on, he'd fallen way down the pecking order. Remember, even Holmes was preferred to him. He was last in the order and seen as dispensable. In view of all that, if someone offered you Jack Steele for Longer at the end of 2016, what would you have done? Player's fortunes can turn around very quickly. Just look at Hickey and Longer now between this year and last.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
stonecold
SS Life Member

Bernard Shakey wrote:
stonecold wrote:
He's not scared of the dark and will be playing senior AFL footy before you can turn the lights on.
Oh, okay, where did he play last week????? Think you might find Marshall is ahead of him at this point and he airnt ready yet!!!!!

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

Just because they played Pierce in the Development league, it doesn't mean he's behind Holmes. It could be to give him a full game in the ruck rather than backup to Hickey in the Sandy seniors.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
stonecold
SS Life Member

kosifantutti wrote:Just because they played Pierce in the Development league, it doesn't mean he's behind Holmes. It could be to give him a full game in the ruck rather than backup to Hickey in the Sandy seniors.
Who said he was behind Holmes?????