Player Review: Updated after 16 games (from 7 games earlier)

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Player Review: Updated after 16 games (from 7 games earlier)

Acres, Blake: Looks like Blacres is 'arriving". He has recently started to really put on display some of the characteristics that we have long looked for. Power running out of packs. Hard to tackle and keeps those hands free to dish off the ball. And improving use of the ball. Marks with full arm extension very high "Roo like". His GWS game was shall we say very "Bont-like".
Armitage, David: After dominating the last JLT game so that we thought he was back injury has again limited him.
Battle, Josh: Has showed some good glimpses of what may come as a third tall forward. Still completing his VCE and with our number of marking targets the club can afford to groom him slowly.
Billings, Jack: Jack is now playing good consistent football. Looks to be working harder and if his accuracy on goal had not have been the 4 goals 12 that it is we would all be more excited.
Brown, Nathan: Nail on head. Boy did our recruiting team nail this value pick-up. Along with Jake he is a main reason that we are no longer being monstered by big opposition forwards. It has also freed up our flankers to excel.
Bruce, Josh: Working just as hard as ever. Which is Roo-like which is amazing. Not quite nailing the marks like he can though, but remains a most valuable contributor.
Carlisle, Jake: Big Jake is just getting better and better and is clearly benefting from playing regular football again aftera year off. His early games were a bit disappointing but he is looking very good now and along with Brown has proven to be a very capable key defensive pairing this year.
Connellan, Ray . Both of our Irish lads after having never played AFL before are doing very well at the VFL level considering this.
Coughlan, Nicholas : Out injured initially and has is only getting to play now.
Dempster, Sean: Retired. We will miss him.
Dunstan, Luke: Has gone backwards.
Freeman, Nathan: Is now on the park player regular games and this last week rolled out quite a good game including with 8 tackles showing that he is no at ease putting his body on the line. Still might make it!
Geary, Jarryn: Well I thought he improved last season and I believe he has stepped up again. I am sure too that he is probably enjoying playing with two true tall key defenders.
Gilbert, Sam: Remains Mr Versatile and in the last two games has strengthened that reputation by becoming our relief ruck. while his kicking is sometimes problematic his energy and pressure are both enormous.
Goddard, Hugh: Great to see him back playing. Early days though.
Gresham, Jade: Still exhibits his class and in the last two games I was pleased to see him abandon trying to be a highlights player. Playing mainly in the small forward role he is going ok. He certainly is quite polished with snap crumbing goals.
Hickey, Tom: Great game against the Swans in the JLT and then ok, but not good after that. Importantly he was not racking up the possessions he needs to offset his ruckwork in comparison to Longer. The third man up rule change looks to have worked against him. It is good however to have the choice of both Longer and Hickey.
Holmes, Jason : Will not make it.
Joyce, Darragh : Both of our Irish lads after having never played AFL before are doing very well at the VFL level considering this.
Long, Ben: showing great promise. In his two AFL games he looked quite good, but just did not find enough of the ball. Plenty to work with.
Longer, Billy: The ITK's were singing his praises pre-season and that too was the vibe you got from our coaches. Hickey's outstanding JLT game denied him the nod initially but he has played well since coming in. His game against Mummy was superb and in particular in the last quarter when the game was their to be won. Would still love him to have more impact around the ground though.
Lonie, Jack: In his 4 games he was ok, but just did not really have the impact that he needs to have with the opportunities that he had. Busy but not effective.
Marshall, Rowan (: RAW EXCITEMENT. A long way to go, but he takes good marks and kicks at goal very well for a ruckman. So much so that he is arguably more a key position player than ruck prospect. However big forwards like Paddy well knows also have to have endurance and being able to exert forward pressure and The Marshall is behind in both regards.
McCartin, Patrick: Doing ok, but not great and unfortunately for Paddy at a time when the coach wants forwards who not only can kicks goals but who can apply great forward pressure. However unlike some I think he will continue to get better and better as his fitness continues to improve over the next few seasons. with Bruce, Roo and Membrey all playing well there are no games to be gifted for a marking forward.
McKenzie, Daniel: I think that he may have been a bit too distracted by his post-season trip to Japan as he came back not the player he was at the end of last season. Not in body, but in how he was playing. This week in the VFL we saw the good DMak again.
Membrey, Tim: Most of his stats are up on last year except the most important one for a forward. Kicking on goal. 11 goals 9 is ok, but not a patch on the 44 goals 18 of last year. As out "third tall" forward though he ticks pretty much all the boxes.
Minchington, Darren: Small forwards are most likely always going to be up and down in their possessions. In his 3 games back as a whole he has done quite well. But their is enormous competition for his position in the team.
Montagna, Leigh: His stats and games this year are once again of a high standard. He just churns out good football.Yes the last game against the GWS was quiet, but with all of our young mids putting their hands up on the day Joey did not have to be in our best.
Newnes, Jack: Mr Invisible, Mr Reliable, Mr Just Get's The Job Done. Week in week out has good numbers and plays well. There is no real flash to to his game but I am sure gives what the coaches want.
O'Kearney, Nick : Have not seen a lot of him this season.
Phillips, Edward: Have not seen a lot of him this season.
Pierce, Lewis: I suspect the arrival of The Marshall has doomed whatever hope Pierce may have had for being a ruck foward in the seniors.
Rice, Bailey: I really, really like what I have seen this season. You can see in the way he plays the hallmarks of being a good player. He never looks rushed, reads the play well, thinks things through, uses the ball well, has good defensive skills and is a hardnut. His biggest problem that he is understudy for Geary! and that is going to make it very hard to crack it for regular senior games this year.
Riewoldt, Nick: Outstanding. Need we say more?
Roberton, Dylan: Has been our out and out improver for 2017 with AA form.
Ross, Sebastian: If not for Robo would be our biggest improver of 2017. Ross has never had more than two 30 or more disposal games in a row. He has now had 4 such games in a row! Possibly more importantly he is doing more damage with the ball and also looks to be a harder and quicker runner.
Savage, Shane: Has not been bad, but others have been better.
Sinclair, Jack: Well I am biased as I have long thought that this guy just screams CLASS. He is now fitter and has learnt how to find the ball more while also improving his defensive game and tackling pressure. Watching Jack closely in the replays of his two most recent games I am even more excited now by his poise and deft ball use that creates opportunities for team-mates in good positions.
Steele, Jack: A hard tackling inside mid who has proven to be an inspired pick up for the Saints. He will only get better too. Remember that he has only played 24 games, but at the GWS that he did not really get much of a chance to play as a mid and so he is really only learning to play as a mid at AFL level now with the Saints. I cannot wait till him moves from his "Ls" to his "Ps".
Steven, Jack: Elite. and now that we are starting assemble a proper midfield I think that we are about to see the best of Jack.
Stevens, Koby: But for a seafood meal and 4 days in hospital the St Kilda season may well have produced another win or two. The injection of Stevens and Sinclair into our midfield group has produced a profoundly positive effect. Though credit too must go to Longer's ruckwork.
Webster, Jimmy: Another of our big improver's this year. And another who has probably been assisted by having two genuine key defenders to play with. His flat kicks are fast and powerful, only ruined by the occasional howler. However note that Jimmy has only racked up 57 games. The best is yet to come.
Weller, Maverick: Stats wise he is having his best year ever apart from his tackle count which is a little low. Despite good numbers though he started the season with perhaps less polish and his goalkicking being more errant. Against the Hawks though Mav was at his best.
White, Brandon: Have seen little of him this year.
Wright, Nathan: looked good in the JLT, but with a quiet opening game was dropped. Against GWS he posted handy numbers.
Last edited by saintsRrising on Wed 12 Jul 2017 2:21am, edited 9 times in total.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
maverick
Saintsational Legend

Re: Player Review: After 7 games

Great post, nailed it imo
I especially like the Sinclair one.
I agree he oozes class

shrodes
SS Life Member

Good post. I find it interesting to see how Carlisle and Brown have impacted the rest of our backline. Robbo is clearly benefiting and has gone to the next level.

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

shrodes wrote:Good post. I find it interesting to see how Carlisle and Brown have impacted the rest of our backline. Robbo is clearly benefiting and has gone to the next level.
Last year's back 6 seemed to be all over the shop, in fact 2015 as well. It was almost like we were praying that Fisher of 2009 would magically reappear.
Apart from the Perth and Cats games, the back 6 dynamic has been so good now, it's unreal.

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

WellardSaint wrote:
shrodes wrote:Good post. I find it interesting to see how Carlisle and Brown have impacted the rest of our backline. Robbo is clearly benefiting and has gone to the next level.
Last year's back 6 seemed to be all over the shop, in fact 2015 as well. It was almost like we were praying that Fisher of 2009 would magically reappear.
Apart from the Perth and Cats games, the back 6 dynamic has been so good now, it's unreal.
Yes our back 6 is looking really good now and has an excellent mix of attack and defense now. We can now structure up well against all teams rather that being a mismatch against any team that had good big forwards.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Excellent post. Nothing I could fault.

repta
Club Player

Great post.

Gilbert might be Mr Versatile but could also be Captain Choas. When i see him running for the ball i know something is going to happen. Hit up a lead, turn it over, kick it out on the fuĺl, bowl over a player or three (friend or foe).

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

Gilbo could be the bipolar flash. The difference between his best and worst is vast. I hate being bipolar. It's awesome!

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

Gilbo could be the bipolar flash. The difference between his best and worst is vast. I hate being bipolar. It's awesome!

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Yes Gilbo can be variable. But one aspect that has always been outstanding is his workrate and willingness to put his body into the contest.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Updated Player Review: After 16 games.

Well what a topsy turvey season it has been, both for the Saints as a whole and for individual players forms. Seb Ross has been a stand out, and a break out though. It looks like at long, long last we now have another elite player.

Acres, Blake: Looks like Blacres is 'arriving". He has recently started to really put on display some of the characteristics that we have long looked for. Power running out of packs. Hard to tackle and keeps those hands free to dish off the ball. And improving use of the ball. Marks with full arm extension very high "Roo like". His GWS game was shall we say very "Bont-like".

Acres has unfortunately remained good one game and ordinary the next.

Armitage, David: After dominating the last JLT game so that we thought he was back injury has again limited him.

Gone with a bad groin injury for now.

Battle, Josh: Has showed some good glimpses of what may come as a third tall forward. Still completing his VCE and with our number of marking targets the club can afford to groom him slowly.

Has been showing promising signs at VFL despite some injury issues.

Billings, Jack: Jack is now playing good consistent football. Looks to be working harder and if his accuracy on goal had not have been the 4 goals 12 that it is we would all be more excited.

Has looked excellent since being moved back as a permanent forward. However his goalkicking remains problematic.

Brown, Nathan: Nail on head. Boy did our recruiting team nail this value pick-up. Along with Jake he is a main reason that we are no longer being monstered by big opposition forwards. It has also freed up our flankers to excel.

Continues to be a real asset as a very solid and reliable full back.

Bruce, Josh: Working just as hard as ever. Which is Roo-like which is amazing. Not quite nailing the marks like he can though, but remains a most valuable contributor.

Surprisingly he has kicked 25 goals 17 behinds. I say that as he has missed some absolute soda from less that 20m. His work rate has been stellar, even when he went a quiet patch. He remains a good asset as a mobile key forward.

Carlisle, Jake: Big Jake is just getting better and better and is clearly benefiting from playing regular football again aftera year off. His early games were a bit disappointing but he is looking very good now and along with Brown has proven to be a very capable key defensive pairing this year.

Jake is now starting to show some elite talent in games, and has also been more attacjing to drift forward as well.

Connellan, Ray . Both of our Irish lads after having never played AFL before are doing very well at the VFL level considering this.

Progress has been steady.

Coughlan, Nicholas : Out injured initially and has is only getting to play now.

Year is a bit of a nothing year.

Dempster, Sean: Retired. We will miss him.

Backline has been very good this year with Jake and Browny, and so we are not really missing Sean on the field.

Dunstan, Luke: Has gone backwards.

Improved. But his lack of a tank still hurts his game and Stevens has taken over his slot in the team as an upgrade.

Unlike many now, I still believe that Dunstan has good talent. But if he cannot improve his running ability his career may well be limited in future.

Freeman, Nathan: Is now on the park player regular games and this last week rolled out quite a good game including with 8 tackles showing that he is no at ease putting his body on the line. Still might make it!

Has just been getting better and better. The club has indicated that despite this that they are taking the cautious path with him, and so his St Kilda debut may well now be next season. However his recent VFL form has been so impressive that it now looks like that he will go ok at AFL level.

Geary, Jarryn: Well I thought he improved last season and I believe he has stepped up again. I am sure too that he is probably enjoying playing with two true tall key defenders.

Remains a rock.

Gilbert, Sam: Remains Mr Versatile and in the last two games has strengthened that reputation by becoming our relief ruck. while his kicking is sometimes problematic his energy and pressure are both enormous.

Has hada fabulous year. Has played well even when many of his team mates have had bad games.

Goddard, Hugh: Great to see him back playing. Early days though.

Early days indeed, as was soon out with a major foot injury. Thank god we picked up Brown!

Gresham, Jade: Still exhibits his class and in the last two games I was pleased to see him abandon trying to be a highlights player. Playing mainly in the small forward role he is going ok. He certainly is quite polished with snap crumbing goals.

After some quieter games has improved to be a consistent contributor. Continues to demonstrate class and you just know that over time that he will get better and better.

Hickey, Tom: Great game against the Swans in the JLT and then ok, but not good after that. Importantly he was not racking up the possessions he needs to offset his ruckwork in comparison to Longer. The third man up rule change looks to have worked against him. It is good however to have the choice of both Longer and Hickey.

Well Longer has come in, and the coaches value his ruckwork and so Hickey has not been recalled.

Holmes, Jason : Will not make it.

Still racking up huge HO tallies in the VFL, but disposals are few.

Joyce, Darragh : Both of our Irish lads after having never played AFL before are doing very well at the VFL level considering this.

Like his fellow Irishman continues to look promising.'

Long, Ben: showing great promise. In his two AFL games he looked quite good, but just did not find enough of the ball. Plenty to work with.

Had so, so form in the VFL, but after being recalled for the Tigers match rolled out quitea good game.

Longer, Billy: The ITK's were singing his praises pre-season and that too was the vibe you got from our coaches. Hickey's outstanding JLT game denied him the nod initially but he has played well since coming in. His game against Mummy was superb and in particular in the last quarter when the game was their to be won. Would still love him to have more impact around the ground though.

Despite my sceptiscism, Billy has been continuing to improve and his last game against the Tigers was his best quality game yet. I do remain personally concerned about his work around the ground. but the tigers game showed promise.

Lonie, Jack: In his 4 games he was ok, but just did not really have the impact that he needs to have with the opportunities that he had. Busy but not effective.

Well after being recalled Lonie has improved his effectiveness and is doing quite ok, without actually being good. But also remember that he has only played 35 games.

Marshall, Rowan (: RAW EXCITEMENT. A long way to go, but he takes good marks and kicks at goal very well for a ruckman. So much so that he is arguably more a key position player than ruck prospect. However big forwards like Paddy well knows also have to have endurance and being able to exert forward pressure and The Marshall is behind in both regards.obviously

The club is concentrating on his football education, as they are now playing him as a key defender at Sandi.

McCartin, Patrick: Doing ok, but not great and unfortunately for Paddy at a time when the coach wants forwards who not only can kicks goals but who can apply great forward pressure. However unlike some I think he will continue to get better and better as his fitness continues to improve over the next few seasons. with Bruce, Roo and Membrey all playing well there are no games to be gifted for a marking forward.

Unfortunately his having another season from hell.

McKenzie, Daniel: I think that he may have been a bit too distracted by his post-season trip to Japan as he came back not the player he was at the end of last season. Not in body, but in how he was playing. This week in the VFL we saw the good DMak again.

Has been up and down at VFL level. After being recalled for the Tigers game he rolled out quite a reasonable game. Ball use remains prblematic though.

Membrey, Tim: Most of his stats are up on last year except the most important one for a forward. Kicking on goal. 11 goals 9 is ok, but not a patch on the 44 goals 18 of last year. As out "third tall" forward though he ticks pretty much all the boxes.

Has kicked 26 goals 12 now. So has added 15 goals 3 since my last report! Has had quite a good year and his last 4 games have been excellent. Much easier being a good forward when our midfield is up and about!

Minchington, Darren: Small forwards are most likely always going to be up and down in their possessions. In his 3 games back as a whole he has done quite well. But their is enormous competition for his position in the team.

Up and down still. Out injured now though.

Montagna, Leigh: His stats and games this year are once again of a high standard. He just churns out good football.Yes the last game against the GWS was quiet, but with all of our young mids putting their hands up on the day Joey did not have to be in our best.

Joey has in the main had an excellent year.

Newnes, Jack: Mr Invisible, Mr Reliable, Mr Just Get's The Job Done. Week in week out has good numbers and plays well. There is no real flash to to his game but I am sure gives what the coaches want.

Like the Duracell Bunny he just keeps going, and going!

O'Kearney, Nick : Have not seen a lot of him this season.

Going by the match reports has had an impressive VFL season. Remains a bit lightly built for AFL level.

Phillips, Edward: Have not seen a lot of him this season.

Just back after being injured.

Pierce, Lewis: I suspect the arrival of The Marshall has doomed whatever hope Pierce may have had for being a ruck foward in the seniors.

The season that isn't.

Rice, Bailey: I really, really like what I have seen this season. You can see in the way he plays the hallmarks of being a good player. He never looks rushed, reads the play well, thinks things through, uses the ball well, has good defensive skills and is a hardnut. His biggest problem that he is understudy for Geary! and that is going to make it very hard to crack it for regular senior games this year.

Has been on the main very good in the VFL. I am somewhat surprised that he has not debuted yet. Possibly the only reason is that he has been playing as a defender, and our backline has been excellent all year.

Riewoldt, Nick: Outstanding. Need we say more?

Has had some injury issues. But still showed quite reasonable form, and then in the Tigers game destroyed Rance who had been in great form all season.

Roberton, Dylan: Has been our out and out improver for 2017 with AA form.

Well Seb is now the No 1 improver for 2017 form. But Robbo has been excellent.

Ross, Sebastian: If not for Robo would be our biggest improver of 2017. Ross has never had more than two 30 or more disposal games in a row. He has now had 4 such games in a row! Possibly more importantly he is doing more damage with the ball and also looks to be a harder and quicker runner.

Well Ross has just gotten better and better. His ball use has now improved too, and his disposal count remains fantastic.

He is now our most improved Saint this year.

Savage, Shane: Has not been bad, but others have been better.

After being banished fora while played a really good game against the Tigers including some good contested marking.

Sinclair, Jack: Well I am biased as I have long thought that this guy just screams CLASS. He is now fitter and has learnt how to find the ball more while also improving his defensive game and tackling pressure. Watching Jack closely in the replays of his two most recent games I am even more excited now by his poise and deft ball use that creates opportunities for team-mates in good positions.

After being dropped has now come back with 5 games in a row of over twenty disposals, and what disposals. Sincs is an excellent. He reminds one of an earlier 35 in how when he runs forward with the ball how he always seems to be able to hit a target. Also like the other 35 he is excellent in traffic.

Steele, Jack: A hard tackling inside mid who has proven to be an inspired pick up for the Saints. He will only get better too. Remember that he has only played 24 games, but at the GWS that he did not really get much of a chance to play as a mid and so he is really only learning to play as a mid at AFL level now with the Saints. I cannot wait till him moves from his "Ls" to his "Ps".

Went a little quiet and was dropped. But has bounced back well. He is a tackling machine.

Steven, Jack: Elite. and now that we are starting assemble a proper midfield I think that we are about to see the best of Jack.

Has not handled some heavy tagging that well this year. But has played better of late, as has our whole midfield unit.

Stevens, Koby: But for a seafood meal and 4 days in hospital the St Kilda season may well have produced another win or two. The injection of Stevens and Sinclair into our midfield group has produced a profoundly positive effect. Though credit too must go to Longer's ruckwork.

Koby has had a good year for us. Plus he has shown that he can tag while still racking up plenty of ball himself. His good form has also squeezed out Dunstan.

Webster, Jimmy: Another of our big improver's this year. And another who has probably been assisted by having two genuine key defenders to play with. His flat kicks are fast and powerful, only ruined by the occasional howler. However note that Jimmy has only racked up 57 games. The best is yet to come.

Have loved Jimmy's contribution this season.

Weller, Maverick: Stats wise he is having his best year ever apart from his tackle count which is a little low. Despite good numbers though he started the season with perhaps less polish and his goalkicking being more errant. Against the Hawks though Mav was at his best.

His year has remained ordinary and while his numbers were ok, his ball use was not. I suspect that he has been playing with a dodgey ankle for a while. He should be rested till fully recovered and then made to come back through the VFL while we get games into Lonie and Long instead.

White, Brandon: Have seen little of him this year.

Reportedly has been on the improve in the VFL.

Wright, Nathan: looked good in the JLT, but with a quiet opening game was dropped. Against GWS he posted handy numbers.

Simply put, he just does not find the ball often enough.

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

Re: Player Review: Updated after 16 games (from 7 games earl

Good effort.
From the little I've seen of Connellan, I reckon he'll make it. Haven't seen much of Joyce.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"