Newnes' goal

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

kp83
Club Player

Newnes' goal

Did anyone else at the game notice this?

When Newnes kicked his goal in the 3rd quarter, there was a clear free kick given away by Acres in the build up. He jumped on the back of an opponent way too early and clearly infringed. Just as the umpire went to blow his whistle to pay a free against him one of our players accidentally ran into him (the ump) and they both hit the deck. The umpire got back up and went to put the whistle back in his mouth to blow the free but by then the play had continued too long and he just decided not to blow his whistle. Billings passed inside 50 and Newnes collected a handball (from Minch I think) and slotted it from 25 out on the run.

I thought I may have been mistaken with what I saw but all of us in our area said exactly the same thing at the same time. The umpire was definately going to pay a free against Blacres.

So my question is...does anyone that saw this remember who the player was that ran into the ump? Whoever he was is a freaking genius and got us an incredibly important goal!!!

GO SAINTS!!!!!!!!!!!!

maverick
Saintsational Legend

Re: Newnes' goal

It was Carlisle
I said the same thing at the time

SAAD
Club Player

Bout time we got one our way

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

kp83 wrote:Did anyone else at the game notice this?

When Newnes kicked his goal in the 3rd quarter, there was a clear free kick given away by Acres in the build up. He jumped on the back of an opponent way too early and clearly infringed. Just as the umpire went to blow his whistle to pay a free against him one of our players accidentally ran into him (the ump) and they both hit the deck. The umpire got back up and went to put the whistle back in his mouth to blow the free but by then the play had continued too long and he just decided not to blow his whistle. Billings passed inside 50 and Newnes collected a handball (from Minch I think) and slotted it from 25 out on the run.

I thought I may have been mistaken with what I saw but all of us in our area said exactly the same thing at the same time. The umpire was definately going to pay a free against Blacres.

So my question is...does anyone that saw this remember who the player was that ran into the ump? Whoever he was is a freaking genius and got us an incredibly important goal!!!

GO SAINTS!!!!!!!!!!!!
I saw and said the exact same thing. It didn't show the umpire getting bowled over on the telly but he was definitely going to blow his whistle when he did get bowled over. Oh well, you take em when you get em.

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
lewdogs
Club Player

Haha wow that's incredible. Was a huge goal too!

BackFromUSA
Saintsational Legend

Does Carlisle get the goal assist stat?

AwayInUSA no longer ... have based myself back in Melbourne for a decade of Saintsational Success (with regular trips back to the USA)

"Saintsational Player Sponsor 2007 - 2018"
WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

BackFromUSA wrote:Does Carlisle get the goal assist stat?
:mrgreen: :lol:

On TV, it was obvious, and Bwoose McA went "oh no, in the back" or something, but then nothing more was said AT ALL except he got excited at the goal the way he does for Cyril. Geez, it was funny

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
stevie
Saintsational Legend

Wow, I wondered why that one wasnt picked up! Yeah Bruce says' he got away with one there'. In the footage you dont see the ump go down or its quick and you arent looking for it. Bonus

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

It helps square the ledger on luck, which now reads for the last 50 years:

Saints 1
Opposition 17236

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

perfectionist wrote:It helps square the ledger on luck, which now reads for the last 50 years:

Saints 1
Opposition 17236
I don't know that this is exactly correct - please list the 17,236 incidents - I think you may have missed some.

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!