Fringe players

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Fringe players

We now have a significant number of fringe players, from players who have played some VFL this season, to those in the side proving themselves or developing, as well as those not performing at their peak. I've not included any VFL players who haven't played AFL this year (or vice versa).

Who would you look at playing/rotating out of these players? Only including those who have been in the team so far this year. Have listed career games as perspective for experience. I've not included Hickey as that's a separate discussion.

Only 6 of these 12 guys played against GWS - so we need to exclude 6 of them.

Gresham - 25 games
Savage - 114 games
Dunstan - 58 games
Acres - 32 games
Lonie - 31 games
Armitage - 152 games (return from injury)
Long - 2 games
Stevens - 76 games
McCartin - 19 games
Wright - 32 games
Minchington - 26 games
Weller - 96 games (return from injury)

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Re: Fringe players

Otiman wrote:We now have a significant number of fringe players, from players who have played some VFL this season, to those in the side proving themselves or developing, as well as those not performing at their peak. I've not included any VFL players who haven't played AFL this year (or vice versa).

Who would you look at playing/rotating out of these players? Only including those who have been in the team so far this year. Have listed career games as perspective for experience. I've not included Hickey as that's a separate discussion.

Only 6 of these 12 guys played against GWS - so we need to exclude 6 of them.

Gresham - 25 games
Savage - 114 games
Dunstan - 58 games
Acres - 32 games
Lonie - 31 games
Armitage - 152 games (return from injury)
Long - 2 games
Stevens - 76 games
McCartin - 19 games
Wright - 32 games
Minchington - 26 games
Weller - 96 games (return from injury)
Happy predicament for the coaches, isn't it.

I can remember times when we were scatching to put 16 to 18 AFL standard players on the park.

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

We have cover for most positions now albeit the players in the wings may not be as good as the one's on the park but we don't have any real cover for the tall backs. If Brown or Carlisle go out for any length of time then we really only have Goddard who has only just returned to playing and looks a bit rusty and slow. Do we have any other tall back cover?

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Jacks Back wrote:We have cover for most positions now albeit the players in the wings may not be as good as the one's on the park but we don't have any real cover for the tall backs. If Brown or Carlisle go out for any length of time then we really only have Goddard who has only just returned to playing and looks a bit rusty and slow. Do we have any other tall back cover?
Bruce can play backline if needs be.

ace
Saintsational Legend

Jacks Back wrote:We have cover for most positions now albeit the players in the wings may not be as good as the one's on the park but we don't have any real cover for the tall backs. If Brown or Carlisle go out for any length of time then we really only have Goddard who has only just returned to playing and looks a bit rusty and slow. Do we have any other tall back cover?
Goddard does not look slow, he is slow.
He is not a super tall 210cm ruckman so he needs to be able to move.
Unless he learns to run he may as well forget about an AFL career.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.