Changes for the Blues

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saint64
Club Player

Changes for the Blues

I wonder whether Roo might be rested this week, as he did look a bit sore against the Giants. If so, is Marshall a sneaky chance of being elevated? Did Paddy do enough to come in if he is not suspended?

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

Re: Changes for the Blues

saint64 wrote:I wonder whether Roo might be rested this week, as he did look a bit sore against the Giants. If so, is Marshall a sneaky chance of being elevated? Did Paddy do enough to come in if he is not suspended?
Paddy definitely did. 7 the week before, 2 this week and helped set up about another 3 others. If not suspended in for Roo would be a great idea in a very winnable game against the blues. Other than that you have to reward a great win with no other changes for mine. Might be tough on Weller but he needs to earn a spot in a team that took down the premiership favorites.

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

I was disappointed with Paddy's effort yesterday. If he cops a week give him one more game at Sandy then bring him back.
For next week I definitely would consider promoting Marshall and giving Roo a rest.

Trev from the Bush
SS Life Member

saint64 wrote:I wonder whether Roo might be rested this week, as he did look a bit sore against the Giants. If so, is Marshall a sneaky chance of being elevated? Did Paddy do enough to come in if he is not suspended?

Know anybody game enough to make such a suggestion to him? Good luck with that.

Saint supporter since '62
Goose is king
SS Hall of Fame

I don't see Roo being rested.

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

Trev from the Bush wrote:

Know anybody game enough to make such a suggestion to him? Good luck with that.
Last time I checked the match selection make the calls who plays not the players. Richo had the balls to move Roo out of the forward line whether he wanted to or not so I don't think he'll flinch if he feels Roo needs a break. The inmates don't run the asylum anymore like under GT.

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

borderbarry wrote:I was disappointed with Paddy's effort yesterday. If he cops a week give him one more game at Sandy then bring him back.
For next week I definitely would consider promoting Marshall and giving Roo a rest.
Seriously what were you watching. On a shitty day for big forwards he hit pack after pack smashing up the ballarat backs who played with real determination. Kicked 2 set up a few others and opened space for Marshall. Take Paddy out and we probably lose. This Paddy-hate is blinding people. Crazy.

Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

Bluthy wrote:
borderbarry wrote:I was disappointed with Paddy's effort yesterday. If he cops a week give him one more game at Sandy then bring him back.
Seriously what were you watching. On a shitty day for big forwards he hit pack after pack smashing up the ballarat backs who played with real determination. Kicked 2 set up a few others and opened space for Marshall. Take Paddy out and we probably lose. This Paddy-hate is blinding people. Crazy.
Agreed, Paddy had a reasonably solid game in diabolical conditions for big blokes. If Roo is rested Paddy should be an automatic in.

Winmar
Club Player

Bluthy wrote:
I think he might have been referring to the incident which may lead to Paddy's suspension, rather than his effort during the rest of the game. He can correct me if I'm mistaken.

saintbob
SS Life Member

Roo will definitely be rested, Richo will make sure of that.

Paddy will come in if he gets cleared, otherwise Marshall may get upgraded and debut against the Blues.

spert
Saintsational Legend

No Paddy hate from me, I just don't reckon he is as good as some would like.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Just to weigh in...
I know it's contentious but I was happy with Paddy's effort yesterday as well.

The challenge for Paddy IMO is it's unclear to me if he should be a muscle bound contested mark machine (which appears to be what he's going for) which brings the challenges of lack of size and age to the front...
Or whether he should be more of a Josh Bruce running type

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

No Paddy hate from me either, but I am entitled to be disappointed with a player who gets himself reported in a match like that. Also I dont know whether he is playing to instructions or not, but he spends too much time too far from goals.

longtimesaint
Club Player

Weller has to come back if fit for either Wright or meatball.
We have Gresh and Billings forward so we don't need both of Wright and meatball.

One year will be our year
Toy Saint
SS Hall of Fame

longtimesaint wrote:Weller has to come back if fit for either Wright or meatball.
We have Gresh and Billings forward so we don't need both of Wright and meatball.
Not so sure that Weller is 'entitled' to replace either Wright or Minchington.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Toy Saint wrote:
longtimesaint wrote:Weller has to come back if fit for either Wright or meatball.
At the start of the year I would have said yes he was...
But MAV has been down... way down so far this season. Let him earn his way in. I would say if the 2, Dasher is the safest at the moment so if he wants Wright's spot, let him displace the man

Vazelos
Club Player

That's the culture of a strong team when you don't want to drop out because you may not get straight back in.
All the dropped players are performing strongly at the zebras and some up and comers like Rice, White and Mc Kenzie doing well also. Pressure builds high performance.

longtimesaint
Club Player

skeptic wrote:
Toy Saint wrote:
At the start of the year I would have said yes he was...
But MAV has been down... way down so far this season. Let him earn his way in. I would say if the 2, Dasher is the safest at the moment so if he wants Wright's spot, let him displace the man
Mav was very good against Hawthorn with 28 possessions and two great goals.
He wouldn't have lost his place except for injury.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Roo would feel insulted if was asked to rest

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Weller - ordinary?

Check his numbers

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

I reckon Paddy, so long as he's not suspended, comes in whether Riewoldt is rested or not.

Rooey goes back to wing if he does play. Bruce to chf. Membrey a flank. Paddy to ff, which is his best position and the one he has a future in.

It's not as if we haven't played all of Bruce, Paddy and Membrey forward successfully before.

I don't know who you'd drop after such a good win though. It would tough on whoever it was.

As for Paddy, I'm not sure what they've told him about where he needs to improve. Maybe they want to give him an extended run in the VFL to get some confidence up. To get in by weight of goals. It will be interesting.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Paddy was average against inferior opposition, in average conditions.

If we look at the entire pre season/season... Marshall is close... but not required.

I would say

In
Weller
Out
Wright or Minch? Neither played poorly.

Roo will play unless injured

saynta
Saintsational Legend

According to the Saints coaches,Marshall is a boy in a man's body.

That would put him a long way off senior selection.

longtimesaint
Club Player

BigMart wrote:Paddy was average against inferior opposition, in average conditions.

If we look at the entire pre season/season... Marshall is close... but not required.

I would say

In
Weller
Out
Wright or Minch? Neither played poorly.

Roo will play unless injured
Minch was quiet after the early goal -I think Weller would come back in.

George27
Club Player

Watching the replay ( more than once !) across the weekend, I thought Minchington did some good things in the last quarter. I think he will keep his spot.