Changes for the Blues

Re: Changes for the Blues

Toy Saint wrote:
spert wrote:
Jacks Back wrote:
saynta wrote:According to the Saints coaches,Marshall is a boy in a man's body.

That would put him a long way off senior selection.
I think Marshall is too skinny for senior footy just yet.
We had another skinny Saint in the 1960s- Ian Cooper
That we did. And he was BOG in the 1966 grand final.
Ian Cooper was about 6'1" and about 70kgs, Marshall looks about 6'7" and appears to be around 90kg's

And I thought Cowboy was BOG in the Grand Final.
Cooper was BOG. Cowboy was only amazing! Barry Breen snatched it, and Bob Murray saved it. Every act counts.

Rest Rooey - bring in Paddy
Weller for Wright
Dunny for Stevens

The one thing the club really tried to develop this year with their trading and drafting was a replacement foe each player and position ( whether through injury or management ) Think we've achieved that so really any changes shouldn't make much difference to the way we play. There is one player/position that we haven't got a ready made replacement. Let's hope he's durable.

Straight swap.

Mav, if he is fit, for Koby.

satchmo wrote:
Toy Saint wrote:
spert wrote:
Jacks Back wrote:

Ian Cooper was about 6'1" and about 70kgs, Marshall looks about 6'7" and appears to be around 90kg's

Cooper was BOG. Cowboy was only amazing! Barry Breen snatched it, and Bob Murray saved it. Every act counts.
I have heard a few names thrown about as BOG recently as well as over the years, including Stewie, the Doc and the Cowboy.

Make no mistake, Ian Cooper was clearly BOG.

Get yourself a copy of the game and see for yourself.

For the record, Ian is listed at 188cm and 76 kg and Marshall at 201cm and 98 kgs.

Rowan's not anywhere near as slight as Ian was, but his coaches don't think he is ready to step up just yet.
Last edited by saynta on Mon 08 May 2017 11:48pm, edited 2 times in total.

tony74 wrote:The one thing the club really tried to develop this year with their trading and drafting was a replacement foe each player and position ( whether through injury or management ) Think we've achieved that so really any changes shouldn't make much difference to the way we play. There is one player/position that we haven't got a ready made replacement. Let's hope he's durable.
Let the guessing games begin. I say Jack Steven, a midfielder who can break away from packs. I'm not sure we have a replacement who can do it to the same degree.

I can't think of any other position we cannot cover adequately so long as the designated replacement isn't injured or otherwise unavailable.

SuperDuper

tony74 wrote:The one thing the club really tried to develop this year with their trading and drafting was a replacement foe each player and position ( whether through injury or management ) Think we've achieved that so really any changes shouldn't make much difference to the way we play. There is one player/position that we haven't got a ready made replacement. Let's hope he's durable.
Let the guessing games begin. I say Jack Steven, a midfielder who can break away from packs. I'm not sure we have a replacement who can do it to the same degree.

I can't think of any other position we cannot cover adequately so long as the designated replacement isn't injured or otherwise unavailable.
Big Jakey Carlisle looks close to the hardest to replace, for mine...

SuperDuper wrote:

Josh Bruce can play chb and a Paddy can play ff.

Excellent point re: McCartin's added "presence" up forward.

SuperDuper wrote:

satchmo wrote:
SuperDuper wrote:

Yes, I thought about that, too. We did win well against a benchmark side without a massive contribution from him on Saturday. But yes, he's a once in a generation player and thus is hard to adequately cover.

Membrey to a degree could play wing and go forward and kick goals. He doesn't have Rooey's tank, though, Acres maybe as well.

I don't think we have a replacement for either Carlisle or Brown right now...

dragit wrote:I don't think we have a replacement for either Carlisle or Brown right now...
That's what I said on another thread yesterday. No tall back coverage apart from Goddard who is not currently fit enough or fast enough to be a ready replacement.

dragit wrote:I don't think we have a replacement for either Carlisle or Brown right now...

Well one could play Roo or Bruce back and Paddy as a forward.

Goddard has only played 2 or 3 games (He was in the Development Squad first? So he probably needs another month or two of playing VFL first.

Plus Coghlan is also just back from injury.

Another possibility was that Marshall did play CHB at North Ballarat last season. But he would obviously be raw and I suspect only suited to playing on the really tall forwards.

i think tony meant we have no player that could cover that position to near the same standard as the player. i would guess carlisle, could be brown. although, even though we have an obvious replacement, i reckon with the way he's playing we'd miss roberton a lot.

saynta wrote:Straight swap.

Mav, if he is fit, for Koby.
This

satchmo wrote:
Toy Saint wrote:
spert wrote:
Jacks Back wrote:

I have heard a few names thrown about as BOG recently as well as over the years, including Stewie, the Doc and the Cowboy.

Make no mistake, Ian Cooper was clearly BOG.

Get yourself a copy of the game and see for yourself.

For the record, Ian is listed at 188cm and 76 kg and Marshall at 201cm and 98 kgs.

Rowan's not anywhere near as slight as Ian was, but his coaches don't think he is ready to step up just yet.
Ian Cooper was seriously tall for his era and skinny.

SuperDuper

SuperDuper wrote:

yep, indeed he could.. but I would rate that the worst like for like exchange on our list
Which is why my answer to Tony74 remains Jakey C.

SuperDuper wrote:

Jake and Brown have allowed Robbo n Gears to really shine and it just seems to work so well.
Back 6 dynamic now damn great.
WCE and Geel games, the mids got blamed for that.
Tom Hawkins only got coupla cheap easy goals at the end so Brown blanketed him superbly until then.

SuperDuper wrote:

yep, indeed he could.. but I would rate that the worst like for like exchange on our list
Who incidently didn't train today :D :D :D . Roo also.

tony74 wrote:
SuperDuper wrote:

Who incidently didn't train today :D :D :D . Roo also.
Hoping it's just part of their recovery. Maybe doing laps at a local pool or something

Rooey and Jake to rest this week?????

So maybe three changes then!!!!!

SuperDuper wrote:
SuperDuper wrote:Big Jakey Carlisle looks close to the hardest to replace, for mine...
You don't rate Bruce? I think he can do that role, not in the same way that Carlisle does, but he can do it adequately.

Pretty certain Riewoldt can do it too, probably as good or better even at 34.

PremiershipSaint

Please not Dunstan or Lonie. They're VFL players.

Looking at our list we appear vulnerable if either Jake or Nathan Brown were to miss.
With Fisher and Dempsey retired we don't have another key defender on the list.