Changes for the Blues

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

satchmo
Saintsational Legend

Re: Changes for the Blues

Toy Saint wrote:
saynta wrote:
spert wrote:
Jacks Back wrote:
saynta wrote:According to the Saints coaches,Marshall is a boy in a man's body.

That would put him a long way off senior selection.
I think Marshall is too skinny for senior footy just yet.
We had another skinny Saint in the 1960s- Ian Cooper
That we did. And he was BOG in the 1966 grand final.
Ian Cooper was about 6'1" and about 70kgs, Marshall looks about 6'7" and appears to be around 90kg's

And I thought Cowboy was BOG in the Grand Final.
Cooper was BOG. Cowboy was only amazing! Barry Breen snatched it, and Bob Murray saved it. Every act counts.

*Allegedly.

Bring back Lucky Burgers, and nobody gets hurt.

You can't un-fry things.

Last Post
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Rest Rooey - bring in Paddy
Weller for Wright
Dunny for Stevens

tony74
SS Hall of Fame

The one thing the club really tried to develop this year with their trading and drafting was a replacement foe each player and position ( whether through injury or management ) Think we've achieved that so really any changes shouldn't make much difference to the way we play. There is one player/position that we haven't got a ready made replacement. Let's hope he's durable.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Straight swap.

Mav, if he is fit, for Koby.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

satchmo wrote:
Toy Saint wrote:
saynta wrote:
spert wrote:
Jacks Back wrote:

Ian Cooper was about 6'1" and about 70kgs, Marshall looks about 6'7" and appears to be around 90kg's

Cooper was BOG. Cowboy was only amazing! Barry Breen snatched it, and Bob Murray saved it. Every act counts.
I have heard a few names thrown about as BOG recently as well as over the years, including Stewie, the Doc and the Cowboy.

Make no mistake, Ian Cooper was clearly BOG.

Get yourself a copy of the game and see for yourself.

For the record, Ian is listed at 188cm and 76 kg and Marshall at 201cm and 98 kgs.

Rowan's not anywhere near as slight as Ian was, but his coaches don't think he is ready to step up just yet.
Last edited by saynta on Mon 08 May 2017 11:48pm, edited 2 times in total.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

tony74 wrote:The one thing the club really tried to develop this year with their trading and drafting was a replacement foe each player and position ( whether through injury or management ) Think we've achieved that so really any changes shouldn't make much difference to the way we play. There is one player/position that we haven't got a ready made replacement. Let's hope he's durable.
Let the guessing games begin. I say Jack Steven, a midfielder who can break away from packs. I'm not sure we have a replacement who can do it to the same degree.

I can't think of any other position we cannot cover adequately so long as the designated replacement isn't injured or otherwise unavailable.

SuperDuper
Club Player

bigcarl wrote:
tony74 wrote:The one thing the club really tried to develop this year with their trading and drafting was a replacement foe each player and position ( whether through injury or management ) Think we've achieved that so really any changes shouldn't make much difference to the way we play. There is one player/position that we haven't got a ready made replacement. Let's hope he's durable.
Let the guessing games begin. I say Jack Steven, a midfielder who can break away from packs. I'm not sure we have a replacement who can do it to the same degree.

I can't think of any other position we cannot cover adequately so long as the designated replacement isn't injured or otherwise unavailable.
Big Jakey Carlisle looks close to the hardest to replace, for mine...

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

SuperDuper wrote:
bigcarl wrote:

Josh Bruce can play chb and a Paddy can play ff.

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

Excellent point re: McCartin's added "presence" up forward.

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
satchmo
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
SuperDuper wrote:
bigcarl wrote:

*Allegedly.

Bring back Lucky Burgers, and nobody gets hurt.

You can't un-fry things.

Last Post
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

satchmo wrote:
bigcarl wrote:
SuperDuper wrote:
bigcarl wrote:

Yes, I thought about that, too. We did win well against a benchmark side without a massive contribution from him on Saturday. But yes, he's a once in a generation player and thus is hard to adequately cover.

Membrey to a degree could play wing and go forward and kick goals. He doesn't have Rooey's tank, though, Acres maybe as well.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

I don't think we have a replacement for either Carlisle or Brown right now...

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:I don't think we have a replacement for either Carlisle or Brown right now...
That's what I said on another thread yesterday. No tall back coverage apart from Goddard who is not currently fit enough or fast enough to be a ready replacement.

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:I don't think we have a replacement for either Carlisle or Brown right now...

Well one could play Roo or Bruce back and Paddy as a forward.

Goddard has only played 2 or 3 games (He was in the Development Squad first? So he probably needs another month or two of playing VFL first.

Plus Coghlan is also just back from injury.

Another possibility was that Marshall did play CHB at North Ballarat last season. But he would obviously be raw and I suspect only suited to playing on the really tall forwards.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

i think tony meant we have no player that could cover that position to near the same standard as the player. i would guess carlisle, could be brown. although, even though we have an obvious replacement, i reckon with the way he's playing we'd miss roberton a lot.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
ace
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote:Straight swap.

Mav, if he is fit, for Koby.
This

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
ace
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote:
satchmo wrote:
Toy Saint wrote:
saynta wrote:
spert wrote:
Jacks Back wrote:

I have heard a few names thrown about as BOG recently as well as over the years, including Stewie, the Doc and the Cowboy.

Make no mistake, Ian Cooper was clearly BOG.

Get yourself a copy of the game and see for yourself.

For the record, Ian is listed at 188cm and 76 kg and Marshall at 201cm and 98 kgs.

Rowan's not anywhere near as slight as Ian was, but his coaches don't think he is ready to step up just yet.
Ian Cooper was seriously tall for his era and skinny.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
SuperDuper
Club Player

bigcarl wrote:
SuperDuper wrote:
bigcarl wrote:

yep, indeed he could.. but I would rate that the worst like for like exchange on our list
Which is why my answer to Tony74 remains Jakey C.

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

SuperDuper wrote:
bigcarl wrote:

+1
Jake and Brown have allowed Robbo n Gears to really shine and it just seems to work so well.
Back 6 dynamic now damn great.
WCE and Geel games, the mids got blamed for that.
Tom Hawkins only got coupla cheap easy goals at the end so Brown blanketed him superbly until then.

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
tony74
SS Hall of Fame

SuperDuper wrote:
bigcarl wrote:
SuperDuper wrote:
bigcarl wrote:

yep, indeed he could.. but I would rate that the worst like for like exchange on our list
Who incidently didn't train today :D :D :D . Roo also.

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

tony74 wrote:
SuperDuper wrote:
bigcarl wrote:
SuperDuper wrote:
bigcarl wrote:

Who incidently didn't train today :D :D :D . Roo also.
Hoping it's just part of their recovery. Maybe doing laps at a local pool or something

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
stonecold
SS Life Member

Rooey and Jake to rest this week?????

So maybe three changes then!!!!!

'Cause StoneCold Said So'!!!!!

We will be great again once Billy is back playing!!!!!

The 'Last Post', it's the gift that keeps giving 📯📯📯📯📯
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

SuperDuper wrote:
bigcarl wrote:
SuperDuper wrote:Big Jakey Carlisle looks close to the hardest to replace, for mine...
You don't rate Bruce? I think he can do that role, not in the same way that Carlisle does, but he can do it adequately.

Pretty certain Riewoldt can do it too, probably as good or better even at 34.

PremiershipSaint
Club Player

Please not Dunstan or Lonie. They're VFL players.

longtimesaint
Club Player

Looking at our list we appear vulnerable if either Jake or Nathan Brown were to miss.
With Fisher and Dempsey retired we don't have another key defender on the list.

One year will be our year