Lenny still working for us -----

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Lenny still working for us -----

http://www.saints.com.au/news/2017-05-0 ... ving-acres
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
'Never Give up'

That's the attitude of St Kilda midfielder Blake Acres, and it's a lesson he learned early in his career from former Saints champion midfielder Lenny Hayes.

The Saints 2013 first-round draft pick (No.19 overall) is still developing his craft, but some commentators have likened the 21-year-old's game style and physique to that of his former teammate Hayes.

Hayes retired at the end of 2014, at the end of Acres' first year at St Kilda.

The young midfielder said comparisons between himself and Hayes, while humbling, were a little farfetched.

"Lenny is a great man and he was a star," Acres told AFL.com.au.

"I don't think I'm anywhere near his level. I'm humbled to be compared with him but I'm nowhere near him.

"He taught me a lot in my first year. I suppose I just try to play my own way but if people think it looks a bit like Lenny then that's their opinion."

Interestingly, Hayes was in the Giants' coach's box, watching Acres on Friday night at Etihad Stadium.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

In the 12 months Acres spent with Hayes, he said the most important thing the 297-gamer taught him was to never give up.

"He had that never give up attitude and I've got a big part of that in my game," Acres said.

"When it comes to the fourth quarter I feel like I'm at my best and able to run over the ground a bit better. I look at Lenny, and he never ever gave up so I try to be like that."

Improvements in his fitness has also been a key factor in Acres' ability to have a big impact late in games.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
The Linton Street Flash
Club Player

Re: Lenny still working for us -----

The club should move heaven and earth to bring Lenny back as a midfield coach.

Next year we'll be seriously contending against the Giants for the flag, Lennys intel would be priceless.

...not to mention the phenomenal spiritual boost it'd give the whole club.

BRING BACK LENNY!!!

Look again it's the Flash!!
ace
Saintsational Legend

Re: Lenny still working for us -----

Lenny Hayes is GWS's midfield coach while Robert Harvey is Collingwood's midfield coach.

Robert Harvey will soon be unemployed as a result of Buckley's impending sacking.
Incoming senior coaches always get to chose their own assistants.

I suspect that Lenny may be the better midfield coach, at least his ideas have not been polluted by Buckley.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.