It's time Paddy

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

spert
Saintsational Legend

Re: It's time Paddy

Over to you Paddy

The_President
Club Player

We're in a very fortunate position right now.

For the first time in his short career, Paddy is playing VFL because he's been told he's not up to AFL level...Not because
- He's young
- Recovering from injury/headknocks.

It's probably the first time in his whole footballing life that he's been told he isn't worthy of a place in the best team.

This is where we'll find what Paddy is made of. He clearly has more natural ability than Bruce (No offence Josh)
Bruce hasn't been setting the world on fire.. works extremely hard, but drops simple marks and misses easy shots.

If Paddy wants to work in the VFL, he'll demand a place in the side. It all comes down to how hard he wants to work.

If he earns his spot back, he'll be a monster for us.. If he doesn't he'll be talked about like Tambling and co... It on him.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

meher baba wrote:Gee some of you have no patience. Monster forward targets like Paddy take time to develop. I still think he's a good chance of making it, but he's not playing well enough at the moment to force out either Bruce or Membrey. If he's as good as some of you think, this will happen fairly soon.

As for those putting forward the idea of resting or (quelle horreur) retiring Riewoldt and playing McCartin: unless you are privy to medical information about Riewoldt's injuries, you're just emitting hot air. It might well be that Riewoldt has the sort of injury/injuries that goes better when he plays than when he doesn't. Terry Lamb, a champion rugby league player for the Bulldogs in Sydney, hobbled around in daily life and was unable to train for the last few years of his career. But, with some physio and pain-killers before each game, he turned out week after week and managed to captain a premiership-winning team in 1995.

I wouldn't rule out Riewoldt playing in another GF before he retires (please God).
Paddy doesn't need to displace Bruce or Membrey. We've played all three forward with some success. The question really is whether Rooey's dodgy knee will allow him to play a midfield role like last year.

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

We have to get used to this new era of huge money offers for young players - Boyd, Sculley, Kelly, Franklin etc. Its the new model, bold approach to winning flags and if you think Paddy is exempt from it you are dreaming. Big forwards are in huge demand as they create the structure that gets you in GF's - Boyd & FRanklin. The quality big forwards tend to go very high in the draft so if you do't have those high picks you need to throw huge sums of cash to get them, enough that can set them up for life and be almost impossible to resist.

Collingwood desperately need a big forward, likewise Hawks with Vickery struggling. Brisbane look like losing Schache and will want to replace him. Freo could use Paddy, Blues could too. Geelong will need a replacment for Hawkins and Paddy is a geelong boy. There will be suitors and there WILL be a huge money offer for him with the increase in the cap letting teams be creative.

Sam Reid said early days his diabetes was an issue but as he got older it became much less of an issue. Paddy is ready to burst out and will want to play seniors. Opportunity + money could equal leaving. IF Roo plays on next year Paddy may feel a move is in his best interests. Why would he have an loyalty to ST Kilda? He didn't choose to come here and hasn't been played a hella lot.

WAtch this space.

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
meher baba wrote:Gee some of you have no patience. Monster forward targets like Paddy take time to develop. I still think he's a good chance of making it, but he's not playing well enough at the moment to force out either Bruce or Membrey. If he's as good as some of you think, this will happen fairly soon.

As for those putting forward the idea of resting or (quelle horreur) retiring Riewoldt and playing McCartin: unless you are privy to medical information about Riewoldt's injuries, you're just emitting hot air. It might well be that Riewoldt has the sort of injury/injuries that goes better when he plays than when he doesn't. Terry Lamb, a champion rugby league player for the Bulldogs in Sydney, hobbled around in daily life and was unable to train for the last few years of his career. But, with some physio and pain-killers before each game, he turned out week after week and managed to captain a premiership-winning team in 1995.

I wouldn't rule out Riewoldt playing in another GF before he retires (please God).
Paddy doesn't need to displace Bruce or Membrey. We've played all three forward with some success. The question really is whether Rooey's dodgy knee will allow him to play a midfield role like last year.
When we play all three we are one player short in the midfield IMO. We've looked more balanced with only two full-time target forwards plus Roo. And our midfield has run out the game.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

meher baba wrote: When we play all three we are one player short in the midfield IMO. We've looked more balanced with only two full-time target forwards plus Roo. And our midfield has run out the game.
Exactly.

At present it is not Paddy vs Roo, but Paddy vs Sinclair.

Adding Sin's has not only added an excellent ball user, but allows our midfielder to run deeper and be rotated more.

Once Paddy gets aerobically fit enough that may change somewhat. But for it to do so Paddy needs to be able to run all day and provide support to the midfield.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

we play our best 22. paddy will play when he shows he is good enough. in footy opportunities come all the time. through others above you dropping form, through injuries, through suspensions, and most importantly through your own form demanding the chance. if we play someone purely to keep them interested we're on the wrong path. getting worried about paddy leaving because of family and friends and media speculation serves no good end.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

meher baba wrote:Paddy doesn't need to displace Bruce or Membrey. We've played all three forward with some success. The question really is whether Rooey's dodgy knee will allow him to play a midfield role like last year.
When we play all three we are one player short in the midfield IMO. We've looked more balanced with only two full-time target forwards plus Roo. And our midfield has run out the game.[/quote]

I don't see Membrey as a key forward. He's the perfect third tall alongside two true key forwards.

I repeat. I don't think Paddy has to displace either he or Bruce to get a gig. Richo had no qualms about playing all three forward last season and he won't again.

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

I don't worry whether Paddy will develop and be a regular, or whether he leaves at end of next year.
Don't care.
All I know is, the coaches are looking at the whole team as a fully-functioning unit, and when they determine
that Paddy can play in the seniors, they'll bring him in.
Bruce had a purple patch in 2015, kicked a lot of goals, but has lost his mojo last year and can't fire.
So he's in the picture as one of our forwards.
We do have others in the VFL who might step up instead of Paddy, if we lose Paddy to the almighty $$

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
To the top
SS Life Member

Today showed why McCartin should be in the side

Membrey is not a KPP - at 188cm he is mid field size not key position size

So Membrey plays under our KPP's

Minchington and Sinclair showed today why they do not consolidate at AFL level - they may show signs periodically but those efforts are only periodic not consistent

And they do not kick goals

So change the structure and change the players with McCartin in and Minchington and Sinclair not in the same side

Then we will get some adequate return from our F50 entries which did not happen today and very nearly cost us big time

spert
Saintsational Legend

Sinclair did ok today, probably got more footy smarts than anyone in our team and just needs to keep getting games under his belt. Minch just didn't do enough, same goes for

Weller.

To the top
SS Life Member

We also got caught out with defensive pace to close down space and opportunity

Gilbert and Carlisle were superb, Roberton was worn by Silvagni and with Webster off we had a problem

Brown did the job expected

We even had Roo setting up deep in defence!!

So our defensive effort impacted on our ability to kick goals

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

WellardSaint wrote:I don't worry whether Paddy will develop and be a regular, or whether he leaves at end of next year.
Don't care.
$$
You don't care if our no. 1 pick power forward that we've invested lots of time and energy in already leaves? Serious? Jesus lets get rid of Billings while we are at it yeah. WE don't need these pesky high pick talented kids hey. Just more of the meat and potatoes types I guess. WE can be the next North that can only scrape into prelims. Yay!

saynta
Saintsational Legend

citywest wrote:Hypothetical - If Geelong (or any other team), came to us and offered a top 5 pick and a top 10 pick for Paddy I would take it. Imagine what Baines would be able to do during trade week with picks 5 and 10 (Paddy's picks), pick 4 (Hawthorn's pick) pick 14 (our own pick if we finish 5th) and our future 2018 first pick. :D

Where the f*** are geelong going to get two top ten picks from. They dont even have what they need to get ablett back to sleepy hollow ffs. :roll:

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Don't think Mickey Milkshake agrees with you mate.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/s ... ee8ce8585f

"Steve Johnson, Nick Riewoldt, James Kelly, Lindsay Thomas, Josh Gibson, Shaun Burgoyne, Jobe Watson and Brett Deledio should all ask themselves if it’s time at season’s end.

It is incredibly difficult to single these players out because I have the utmost respect for them all.

They are each men who have starred in the competition at different stages.

Their bodies have been punished, smashed year upon year. They have dedicated themselves to their clubs for more than a decade. It takes a toll, eventually.

This is not personal, it is football. And football is unforgiving. A fresh batch of teenagers join the ranks every year, fired up to take on the big boys, and time is on their side.

Experience is on the other side.

So do you retire when the tank is empty, or when there’s still a little petrol left?

When your dignity is in tact and the crowd still has an appetite to watch you play, or when you’re on your last legs and in and out of the senior team?

STEVE JOHNSON has been a massive hit for GWS.

They gained experience and flair and he has capitalised on effective delivery into the forward line. With a good list they were able to absorb his deficiencies — including his lack of ability to put genuine pressure on the opposition backs.

It has now gone pear-shaped. He has lost length in his kicking, dropped off in pace, and can’t hold a tackle. It is my observation that he has turned to using tricks to win possession because his body won’t allow for the agile moves he once displayed. Time is ticking.

Mick Malthouse says ideally Nick Riewoldt would play every second week.

Talk of extending NICK RIEWOLDT’s contract is premature.

The Saints’ star has played some ripping games this year, though he has also played some poor ones, particularly against GWS where he looked every inch his 34 years and slower than he once was.

His effectiveness in the backline is questionable, with unreliable decision-making and execution adding to the pressure on the St Kilda defenders to get the ball out of the danger zone.

Forward, he is constantly in the same contest as Josh Bruce, who as a consequence has lost the edge he had gained last year because he can’t get a good run at the ball.

If Riewoldt played every second game with a rest in between he would be wonderful for the Saints, but that is not going to help their run at finals if other players are therefore in and out of the team. It is a dilemma for player and coach."

ps...Stevie j did win the game against the filth earlier today.

To the top
SS Life Member

Geelong's season and time is done

How they beat us with their last quarter surge was a savage indictment on us not a reflection of them

So who do they have that would fit into our side - Stanley?

And the speculation on McCartin on this site is an abject nonsense thru the bottom of the 300th schooner - skulled

McCartin will be central to St Kilda for the next generation - as will be the remainder of our high draft picks over the last couple of seasons and as will be the players we have sought and obtained from other sides starting with Carlisle and Freeman

Why the hell would you mess with that build?

Then we have 2 First Round Draft Picks come the end of this season plus any free agent who compliments the build

And I still think we are in it with a shot in a very, very open season

So lay off the abject nonsense

SemperFidelis
SS Life Member

Paddy will be a star. Our star. Needed a spell in the twos.

Will trust the coaches to work out when he should come back in. If he kicks a few tomorrow he's a big, big chance, because whilst Roo on one leg is worth 1.5 of most others, I'd love him to have a rest before we play the Dogs.

And today showed there is still a place for a BIG forward. Too many easy marks against inside our 50.

Paddy is going nowhere.

Always loyal
Vazelos
Club Player

Our forward line needs a strong Paddy Mc Cartin.. Membrey and Bruce are not KPP with presence..
It will happen... I hope sooner than later

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

What has Paddy actually done to demand a place?

Should he be gifted a game on his Junior Ability?

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:What has Paddy actually done to demand a place?

Should he be gifted a game on his Junior Ability?
Yes of course

His lack of pace is a valuable asset in today's game

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
ace
Saintsational Legend

SemperFidelis wrote:Paddy will be a star. Our star. Needed a spell in the twos.

Will trust the coaches to work out when he should come back in. If he kicks a few tomorrow he's a big, big chance, because whilst Roo on one leg is worth 1.5 of most others, I'd love him to have a rest before we play the Dogs.

And today showed there is still a place for a BIG forward. Too many easy marks against inside our 50.

Paddy is going nowhere.
I think "Paddy is going nowhere" is the problem.
He needs to gets more mobile.
He needs to get separation from defenders not competing in marking contests with them.
A forward who takes lots of uncontested marks is better than a forward who takes a few contested marks.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
ace
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote:Have friends who went to Paddy's folks wedding.

Paddy was well and truly in the oven by that stage.

Not that there is anything wrong with that
Over 21 years and he still isn't cooked.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
Toy Saint
SS Hall of Fame

So many posters on these type of forums are such negative keyboard experts, and look at the glass as half full.

Was reading the Collingwood forum on Big Footy and a poster was calling for Darcy Moore to go back to the VFL to learn his trade. He gave the example of a professional club like St Kilda and they way we were managing Paddy by teaching him his trade in the 2's

Personally I was keen to rest Roo against Carlton in favor of Paddy, but the club obviously thought differently. Oh well, I'll just trust they know a bit more than me.

Our team is 5th on the ladder and our drafting has been pretty good. Sure Billings isn't Bontempelli, but we all agreed St Kilda made the right decision at the time. The recuriters don't have the benefit of chrystal balls, and don't have the advantage of hindsight.

A power key forward is a rare comodity, and the Saints chose Paddy ahead of Patracca. Patracca was always ready to go, and Paddy was always going to need more time. It was a reasonable decision.

Lets hope Paddy kicks goals at Sandringham, forces his way into the team, performs well and develops into a good reliable key forward and is part of a solid St Kilda dynasty.

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

Toy Saint wrote:So many posters on these type of forums are such negative keyboard experts, and look at the glass as half full.

Was reading the Collingwood forum on Big Footy and a poster was calling for Darcy Moore to go back to the VFL to learn his trade. He gave the example of a professional club like St Kilda and they way we were managing Paddy by teaching him his trade in the 2's

Personally I was keen to rest Roo against Carlton in favor of Paddy, but the club obviously thought differently. Oh well, I'll just trust they know a bit more than me.

Our team is 5th on the ladder and our drafting has been pretty good. Sure Billings isn't Bontempelli, but we all agreed St Kilda made the right decision at the time. The recuriters don't have the benefit of chrystal balls, and don't have the advantage of hindsight.

A power key forward is a rare comodity, and the Saints chose Paddy ahead of Patracca. Patracca was always ready to go, and Paddy was always going to need more time. It was a reasonable decision.

Lets hope Paddy kicks goals at Sandringham, forces his way into the team, performs well and develops into a good reliable key forward and is part of a solid St Kilda dynasty.
I realise it may have been a grammar error (I know I do this) but to be negative is to have the glass half empty - Positive is to have the glass half full.

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!