VFL Rd 4- Sandringham vs Nth Ballarat- TV game

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

spiral3
Club Player

Re: VFL Rd 4- Sandringham vs Nth Ballarat- TV game

lots of Saints hierarchy in attendance
Ameet, Finnis, Richo (giving whiteboard tips to Gilbee at Qtr time), all the assistants
Saw Blake and Steele floating around too - do they live with Dunstan?

saw Goddard and Paddy shoulder to shoulder and very little difference in height,
listed at 196 & 194 on Saints site, they looked very similar, Paddy at least 194 if Hugh is 196

White has a fair bit of height about him too, wouldn't be surprised if he was over the listed 188cm

pretty disappointing game from Sandy all round, as others have said, they looked slow. Ballarat got them with run a number of times
though Paddy was pretty reasonable, though opponent gave away a fair bit of height.
report was a downer, not a great kick from Rice that lead to the situation, wasn't the best option, Paddy outnumbered. Paddy was silly though, hope he doesn't get rubbed out.
not a big fan of Lonie, love his passion and endeavour but just too manic. much prefer the cool head of Sinclair, or grunt of Minch or Wright
Nice to see Freeman burst away and hit up Long with a neat kick, hope he keeps getting game time

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

as I said yesterday -'when you watch this on TV you will have no idea of the weather conditions'

extremely dark, wet and windy be end of the game-

although both teams used to that Ballarat can be just as bad.

http://www.saints.com.au/news/2017-05-0 ... h-ballarat

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
minneapolis
Club Player

samoht wrote:We probably won 40 more hitouts but the clearances ended up pretty even - we won them by a puny 8 (45 to 37).
Who rucked after Hickey went down?

Nothing better than a good Dad Joke.
spiral3
Club Player

Holmes

ace
Saintsational Legend

spiral3 wrote:Richo (giving whiteboard tips to Gilbee at Qtr time)
Just Richo reminding Gilbee that prime role of Sandringham is the development of St Kilda players.
And Richo wanting to see this player play in this position.
The result of game is secondary.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
ace
Saintsational Legend

Good to see Richardson being hands on.
Wanted to see what talent he has and what needs developing
Ensuring that all of them know what is expected of them to play saints footy.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

ace wrote:Good to see Richardson being hands on.
On the radio yesterday when Richo was asked whether he would go to watch the Sandi game or the Blues game (as our next opponents) Richo stated that when he could he would always prefer to go and watch our developing players and so would be watch Sandi.

He said that he would watch the Bles game later at home from his study as he would have vision from that game from many camera angles and could slow mo etc.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Hang on... I thought you can't analyse or comment on a game... Unless you're there?

I remember that discussion

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Hang on... I thought you can't analyse or comment on a game... Unless you're there?

It is better at the game. Which is why Richo went to Sandi game and not the MCG.

Richo also has access to more camera angles than you or I do as for example he quoted having access to behind the goal vision. The Sandi game would not have as much vision available.

And this obviously has not occurred to you, but Richo also has assistants :idea: who not only would be at the MCG, but others who would prepare his vision for him.

Now from my perspective watching a game with only publicly available TV vision denies me a whole raft of information on how players are setting up, covering opponents etc. I also cannot monitor the bench etc, etc.

With TV you might suddenly have a forward appear on screen in space. But how did he achieve it?

Also at the game I might specifically watch a player for a while, rather than ball watch. etc etc.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Hang on... I thought you can't analyse or comment on a game... Unless you're there?

Look at Moi!

Look at Moi!

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
older saint
SS Life Member

Watched on TV and first time have seen rookie listed Marshall. Extremely impressed with how he moves. Was strange pick when we grabbed him as a rookie considering our abundance of rucks however makes sense now- best available.

Thought Rice and Lonie were very good also.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

older saint wrote:Watched on TV and first time have seen rookie listed Marshall. Extremely impressed with how he moves. Was strange pick when we grabbed him as a rookie considering our abundance of rucks however makes sense now- best available.

Thought Rice and Lonie were very good also.
Yes the wraps on Marshall were very good and watching him play now several times he looks to living up to those wraps. Big plus is that he seems mobile enough to also play key position. He has been going more than ok as a key forward with us . At Ballarat he also played CHB with some success.

Rice: Of the younger players I thought his game was the one where you thought the most that yes he is capable of playing senior football now. Unfortunately for Rice, Geary has a lock on the small defender position in the seniors.

Lonie: It was fantastic to see him win so much of the ball and to be constantly in the play. Unfortunately I felt that he just rushed his disposal too much and too often nothing much happened as result as the ball did not land in good spots.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Lonie won the footy under immense pressure, in the wet... He had to rush his disposal or he'd get tackled?

He played as a pure inside mid, over half of his possessions were contested

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Does anyone know of inside mids that do not get tackle pressure applied to them?

The ones who can still use the ball well get rated higher. When Lonie can do this he will get rated higher.

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

http://www.saints.com.au/news/2017-05-0 ... h-ballarat
Injury watch

In worrying signs for the Zebras, they lost defender Elliot Le Grice (leg) and ruckman Tom Hickey (knee) to injuries before half-time, with the extent not yet known.

Hickey’s absence meant Jason Holmes was left to shoulder rucking duties and while he doesn’t often possess high disposal numbers, his five tackles and tap work was significant.

Who stood out?

St Kilda rookie Rowan Marshall continues to impress with strong form at VFL level, finishing with three goals and six marks, forming a key partnership in attack alongside Paddy McCartin.

Marshall has now kicked two or more majors in the first four rounds of the season, highlighting that Alan Richardson has another key forward prospect on his list.

Well held by Tobias Thoolen, McCartin was still formidable on the end of two important goals and five marks by siren’s end.

Jack Lonie gathered a game-high 37 disposals and seven tackles to step up in the midfield, along with Luke Dunstan (27 disposals, nine tackles) and Shane Savage (27 disposals, six tackles).

VFL coach Lindsay Gilbee was also pleased with the input from Nathan Freeman, who put on pressure with eight tackles, 15 disposals and a goal himself.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Perhaps check the kicking efficiency of the pure insiders in the game?

That is, first receive possession player... many Hand Ball well... check their foot skills

Cotchin would be amongst the best, Ward... but they are not elite kicks
Cotch rarely kicks more than 30, Ward just to a contest

Ablett is a different story...

Adams, Viney, Swallow, J.Selwood, Rockliff, Cripps, Watson, Priddis

None are elite by foot, mostly because of the role they play.

Here's a situation

M.Boyd played as an inside mid for 12 years, knock on him was foot skills
Moved to HB and barely misses a target
Makes a difference when your not kicking out of a stoppage being tackled

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Oh,

Forgot to mention the wind and rain? Conditions were terrible.... great excuse for Paddy

Not for disposal of a player who we are allowed to criticise?

As you can see, I think he gets a tough run... Dunstan had of got 37 touches... he'd have his own thread with humble pie discussed
But he did not, on the same day in the same midfield the power inside mid on a wet day vs a 72kg forward pocket... Lonie was far better. He got the ball moving forward from congestion constantly

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Interesting that virtually the only comment connected to the Saints on one of the Monday Football shows ( T F) was about Paddy getting reported- they then stated he was suspended-- which he is not--

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:"Perhaps check the kicking efficiency of the pure insiders in the game?
OMG, OMG, OMG! You are a genius. Why oh why has no one ever thought about this for inside mids before?????

I mean geeze I would never of thought of factoring this in. It is such an obvious point and why, oh why did I not factor it into my considerations? A: Because I did. Everyone does.
BigMart wrote:Oh,

Forgot to mention the wind and rain? Conditions were terrible....
LOL. You know BM we know it was raining, we know it was windy and so it is pretty comical that you even bother raising it as if somehow I, or others, did not allow for the weather.

BigMart wrote: Not for disposal of a player who we are allowed to criticise?

As you can see, I think he gets a tough run... Dunstan had of got 37 touches... he'd have his own thread with humble pie discussed
Ok..here we go with BigMart 101. Try and distract with red herrings.....
BigMart wrote:
But he did not, on the same day in the same midfield the power inside mid on a wet day vs a 72kg forward pocket... Lonie was far better. He got the ball moving forward from congestion constantly
Err how is that in anyway counter to what I wrote? Tough run? How was my comment tough?

Lonie: It was fantastic to see him win so much of the ball and to be constantly in the play. Unfortunately I felt that he just rushed his disposal too much and too often nothing much happened as result as the ball did not land in good spots.

The way you are prattling on one would think that I bagged the s*** out of Lonie. Whereas in fact I praised him with just concern flagged about one aspect of his game,

My god you love trying to redifine what people said or even implied. You do realise that this actually weakens your ability to debate?

Also ask yourself this then, why did Lonie did not get BOG with 37 disposals, rather than 4th best? Maybe, just maybe the coaches thought that there was an aspect of his game not quite up to scratch? :idea:

Lonie has had little time in the midfield. He will be the better for it and I personally hope that the coaches continue to play him on the ball as it will hone his game more than playing as small forward for Sandi.