GT was on 4 Corners tonight

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

loris
Saintsational Legend

GT was on 4 Corners tonight

Thought provoking program tonight on elite athletes coming to terms with life after their athletic careers ended, some abruptly.
GT's input was very measured.

A show worth watching for all the keyboard warriors that pot young players - may make them be a little more reflective on some of the comments they make about young athletes who are only trying to reach their dreams.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Re: GT was on 4 Corners tonight

I wish GT was back on SEN again. Shame he was sacked because he refused to be AFL compliant.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

I saw it too Loris. I always thought GT had the players welfare at heart, while he was coaching the Saints. Many of his innovative ideas (pooh-poohed at the time by the "footy establishment" as "eccentric and dippy") such as leadership groups, and rotating captaincy are pretty much par for the course now. A very thought provoking and well produced programme. Agree 110% with your final comments Loris.

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
Vazelos
Club Player

GT has a touch of management genuis about him pity he is a flawed individual who put his ego and his own interests ahead of the club.

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

thejiggingsaint wrote:I saw it too Loris. I always thought GT had the players welfare at heart, while he was coaching the Saints. Many of his innovative ideas (pooh-poohed at the time by the "footy establishment" as "eccentric and dippy") such as leadership groups, and rotating captaincy are pretty much par for the course now. A very thought provoking and well produced programme. Agree 110% with your final comments Loris.
Sadly, the visionaries who go against the prevailing paradigm
(a distinct set of concepts or thought patterns, standards, accepted practice)
are pilloried, mocked and ostracised by their contemporaries.
The majority will follow like sheep.

Those same critics will adopt the new concepts much later, but never acknowledge or credit the source.
Nikola Tesla comes to mind. There are many others.

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

100% with you on this one WellardSaint. GT was (IMHO) the coach who had us playing effective and attractive footy during 2004-05 and who with better luck with injuries may well have broken our premiership drought, but who knows? I often ponder on the hypothesis of how GT would have coached the 2009 GF (with exactly the same personnel onfield)

Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

saintspremiers wrote:I wish GT was back on SEN again. Shame he was sacked because he refused to be AFL compliant.
It would be great to see GT and his forthright views back in the media. It would be a breath of fresh air compared to some of the sychophantic clowns you get in the media.

Did SEN really roll over to the AFL over GT? I would have thought that the AFL needed SEN more than SEN needed the AFL.

loris
Saintsational Legend

thejiggingsaint wrote:I saw it too Loris. I always thought GT had the players welfare at heart, while he was coaching the Saints. Many of his innovative ideas (pooh-poohed at the time by the "footy establishment" as "eccentric and dippy") such as leadership groups, and rotating captaincy are pretty much par for the course now. A very thought provoking and well produced programme. Agree 110% with your final comments Loris.
Yes Jiggster, he also Was a leader in trying to expose players to others less fortunate in life. Sure, players from clubs have always done the odd school visit, hospital visit, however GT created more. Saints were the first team to do 'community camps'. GT took Saints to Warrnambool,( a team he had coached) where they visited aged care homes, and did work for other community facilities in the area. Then the AFL adopted this model for all clubs as if it was the AFL's innovation, no public recognition of GT''s endeavours.

Remember, instead of players going off on their boozy overseas trips at end of season. Saints players under GT's guidance, agreed to put some of their own money into structured trips overseas. To UK, where the focus was on education from ex - Olympicians, training with elite athletes from other sports. Plus the very socially eye opening trip to South Aftrica the players went on. All these were part of GT's innovative methods at trying to install the need for players to be well rounded individuals. Then others clubs started following his methods - tho most used these o/s camps as more traing and team bonding exercises.

Yes GT was an innovator in certain areas. I guess with the tribe of children he had, it would naturally follow that one would be interested in developing youth.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

thejiggingsaint wrote:100% with you on this one WellardSaint. GT was (IMHO) the coach who had us playing effective and attractive footy during 2004-05 and who with better luck with injuries may well have broken our premiership drought, but who knows? I often ponder on the hypothesis of how GT would have coached the 2009 GF (with exactly the same personnel onfield)

IMHFO we would have won. At least GT would have played Max, and Ball (in the last quarter)

Trev from the Bush
SS Life Member

loris wrote:
Yes Jiggster, he also Was a leader in trying to expose players to others less fortunate in life. Sure, players from clubs have always done the odd school visit, hospital visit, however GT created more. Saints were the first team to do 'community camps'. GT took Saints to Warrnambool,( a team he had coached) where they visited aged care homes, and did work for other community facilities in the area. Then the AFL adopted this model for all clubs as if it was the AFL's innovation, no public recognition of GT''s endeavours.

Remember, instead of players going off on their boozy overseas trips at end of season. Saints players under GT's guidance, agreed to put some of their own money into structured trips overseas. To UK, where the focus was on education from ex - Olympicians, training with elite athletes from other sports. Plus the very socially eye opening trip to South Aftrica the players went on. All these were part of GT's innovative methods at trying to install the need for players to be well rounded individuals. Then others clubs started following his methods - tho most used these o/s camps as more traing and team bonding exercises.

Yes GT was an innovator in certain areas. I guess with the tribe of children he had, it would naturally follow that one would be interested in developing youth.
Pre-season community camps
Pre-season overseas training camps
Leadership groups
Rotating captaincy
"Apart from that, what else have the Romans done for us?"

It shites me to tears listening to the media pack, that mercilessly ridiculed Thommo at the time, now take his innovations for granted. And credit others for them!

Saint supporter since '62
thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

Yes, Trev, GT had a pivotal role in lifting the fortunes of our club during the period 2000-07. I often think of how bright our future looked from 2002 as our young guns came of age. Gee some of those games we saw still bring me joy when I watch a DVD from my collection of past games. It's nothing short of a tragedy, though somehow intrinsically part of our club's historical talent to implode, that Grant Thomas, Rod Butterss and Brian Waldron were such dynamic and innovative guys, but sadly also flawed characters whose egos and personalities provided fuel for the "perfect storm" (2005-06) resulting in their collective demise. Flawed characters? Undoubtedly, but then WHO isn't? But gee they got things moving and shaking at the club, and lifted our aspirations. I feel a debt to these guys.

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

Yes, Trev, GT had a pivotal role in lifting the fortunes of our club during the period 2000-07. I often think of how bright our future looked from 2002 as our young guns came of age. Gee some of those games we saw still bring me joy when I watch a DVD from my collection of past games. It's nothing short of a tragedy, though somehow intrinsically part of our club's historical talent to implode, that Grant Thomas, Rod Butterss and Brian Waldron were such dynamic and innovative guys, but sadly also flawed characters whose egos and personalities provided fuel for the "perfect storm" (2005-06) resulting in their collective demise. Flawed characters? Undoubtedly, but then WHO isn't? But gee they got things moving and shaking at the club, and lifted our aspirations. I feel a debt to these guys.

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Kosi spoke about life after footy today

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Vazelos wrote:GT has a touch of management genuis about him pity he is a flawed individual who put his ego and his own interests ahead of the club.
That's right. How dare he try to financially look after himself and his family. How dare he be a flawed individual when everyone else around him was so perfect at St Kilda

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

thejiggingsaint wrote:Yes, Trev, GT had a pivotal role in lifting the fortunes of our club during the period 2000-07. I often think of how bright our future looked from 2002 as our young guns came of age. Gee some of those games we saw still bring me joy when I watch a DVD from my collection of past games. It's nothing short of a tragedy, though somehow intrinsically part of our club's historical talent to implode, that Grant Thomas, Rod Butterss and Brian Waldron were such dynamic and innovative guys, but sadly also flawed characters whose egos and personalities provided fuel for the "perfect storm" (2005-06) resulting in their collective demise. Flawed characters? Undoubtedly, but then WHO isn't? But gee they got things moving and shaking at the club, and lifted our aspirations. I feel a debt to these guys.
spot on Jiggster. GT was very interested in player welfare. Well ahead of his time. I'll never forget the time he asked me the difference between a psychiatrist and psychologist. He was interested until I told him what it might cost to bring in a proper, professionally run program. I don't think he meant to be unsupportive, it's just he kept a very careful eye on the sheckles. Could've been great, GT. Only his ego got in the way. Could've coached us to multiple flags. I still genuinely believe that.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
Stephen Theodore
SS Hall of Fame

loris wrote:Thought provoking program tonight on elite athletes coming to terms with life after their athletic careers ended, some abruptly.
GT's input was very measured.

A show worth watching for all the keyboard warriors that pot young players - may make them be a little more reflective on some of the comments they make about young athletes who are only trying to reach their dreams.
Also seen it, and agree 100%

remboy
SS Hall of Fame

Trev from the Bush wrote: Pre-season community camps
Leadership groups
Rotating captaincy

It shites me to tears listening to the media pack, that mercilessly ridiculed Thommo at the time, now take his innovations for granted. And credit others for them!
GT copped it big time from the media who seemed to take every opportunity to tell the world that he only got the coaching role because he had mates in high places. At least he had coached a team before.
Who had Buckley, Hird or Voss coached before they were gifted their jobs? And yet nobody seems to question their appointments. How many of them have been anywhere near as successful as GT?

Opinions are like arseholes, everybody's got one.
saynta
Saintsational Legend

remboy wrote:
Trev from the Bush wrote: Pre-season community camps
Leadership groups
Rotating captaincy

GT copped it big time from the media who seemed to take every opportunity to tell the world that he only got the coaching role because he had mates in high places. At least he had coached a team before.
Who had Buckley, Hird or Voss coached before they were gifted their jobs? And yet nobody seems to question their appointments. How many of them have been anywhere near as successful as GT?

Excellent post.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

WellardSaint wrote:

Those same critics will adopt the new concepts much later, but never acknowledge or credit the source.
Yes and history always has a way of remembering more kindly than we were...
GT the gifted genius with management speak , belief clouds and training services...
As gifted as Mussolini

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

WellardSaint wrote:

Yes and history always has a way of remembering more kindly than we were...
GT the gifted genius with management speak , belief clouds and training services...
As gifted as Mussolini

“Yeah….nah””
Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

FFS :roll:

In the words of Terry Wallace...I'm gunna spew...if I read any-more of this bullshite.
Talk about rewriting history :roll:

- GT invented leadership groups?
When I played at local level in the late 70's & early 80's we have a selection committee.
This included the Caption, VC, DVC and 3 senior players plus the coach and Chairman.
This senior group of players also conducted the bulk of training and we had a back captain and a forward captain on match day.
Sound familiar?
GT may or may not (and I'd love to see the proof he did) have coined the expression "leadership group" but the fact is they have been around forever in football.

- GT invented community Camps?
Sheedy was taking the playing group to indigenous communities in the NT and Tiwi in the early 1990's.
I guess Sheedy (a real innovator, not a pseudo GT innovator) and his indigenous camps fail by comparison to GT (or should that be ME2) taking the team to Wanambool.

- Rotating Captaincy
How did that work out for the messiah?
Great teams are led by great leaders and when a strong leader emerges you do not change for change sake. How many on here wanted to strip Roo of the captaincy over the last 8 years, haven’t read too many posts saying rotate the captain!
How many clubs have implemented GT’s great captaincy rotation policy since 2005?

How is the rotating captaincy pretty much par for the course now???
What club uses this policy?
The Saints certainly don't, the Hawks have had two captains in their premiership era.
I don't see the cats changing their captaincy.

- GT developed cross training with elite athletes and overseas training camps?
Ron Barassi & Tom Hafey anyone?
Barass had his players training with elite track runners and ballerinas for balance and poise in the 1970’s. T-Shirt Tommy had basket ballers, athletes and Rugby training and influences in the early 1980’s when he was at Sydney. John Kennedy was a fitness innovator in the 60's with Kennedy's commandos, these great and successful coaches were real innovators. GT :lol:

- How would have GT coached in the 2009 Grand Final?
Well despite having the best list in the AFL in 2004 & 2005 GT didn’t get us to a grand final did he! Like Geelong in the 1990’s (who at least made GF’s but couldn’t win one) GT was all out attack and didn’t have the defensive structure and game plan to reach the peak.
And for those who still say Max should have played can only remember Max at his best when he was a gun defender and heart and soul of the team. Max in 2009 was finished and was not nearly the player we recall.

- GT after coaching the saints.
How did GT get the gig? His best mate was the president and went through a mock process to replace Blight. After he was cut from the Saints how many clubs came chasing his signature to coach them? GT the innovator, the man ahead of the game and his time. How many clubs wanted him when he was sacked by the Saints? Zero, nil, zip, nada, SFA!

GT – FFS! Should never have been appointed coach of the club in the first place.
Had we got a real coach at the time we’d be sitting here now enjoying the 2000’s that netted us a better haul of silverware than the cats.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Joffa Burns wrote:FFS :roll:

In the words of Terry Wallace...I'm gunna spew...if I read any-more of this bullshite.
Talk about rewriting history :roll:

- GT invented leadership groups?
When I played at local level in the late 70's & early 80's we have a selection committee.
This included the Caption, VC, DVC and 3 senior players plus the coach and Chairman.
This senior group of players also conducted the bulk of training and we had a back captain and a forward captain on match day.
Sound familiar?
GT may or may not (and I'd love to see the proof he did) have coined the expression "leadership group" but the fact is they have been around forever in football.

- GT invented community Camps?
Sheedy was taking the playing group to indigenous communities in the NT and Tiwi in the early 1990's.
I guess Sheedy (a real innovator, not a pseudo GT innovator) and his indigenous camps fail by comparison to GT (or should that be ME2) taking the team to Wanambool.

- Rotating Captaincy
How did that work out for the messiah?
Great teams are led by great leaders and when a strong leader emerges you do not change for change sake. How many on here wanted to strip Roo of the captaincy over the last 8 years, haven’t read too many posts saying rotate the captain!
How many clubs have implemented GT’s great captaincy rotation policy since 2005?

How is the rotating captaincy pretty much par for the course now???
What club uses this policy?
The Saints certainly don't, the Hawks have had two captains in their premiership era.
I don't see the cats changing their captaincy.

- GT developed cross training with elite athletes and overseas training camps?
Ron Barassi & Tom Hafey anyone?
Barass had his players training with elite track runners and ballerinas for balance and poise in the 1970’s. T-Shirt Tommy had basket ballers, athletes and Rugby training and influences in the early 1980’s when he was at Sydney. John Kennedy was a fitness innovator in the 60's with Kennedy's commandos, these great and successful coaches were real innovators. GT :lol:

- How would have GT coached in the 2009 Grand Final?
Well despite having the best list in the AFL in 2004 & 2005 GT didn’t get us to a grand final did he! Like Geelong in the 1990’s (who at least made GF’s but couldn’t win one) GT was all out attack and didn’t have the defensive structure and game plan to reach the peak.
And for those who still say Max should have played can only remember Max at his best when he was a gun defender and heart and soul of the team. Max in 2009 was finished and was not nearly the player we recall.

- GT after coaching the saints.
How did GT get the gig? His best mate was the president and went through a mock process to replace Blight. After he was cut from the Saints how many clubs came chasing his signature to coach them? GT the innovator, the man ahead of the game and his time. How many clubs wanted him when he was sacked by the Saints? Zero, nil, zip, nada, SFA!

GT – FFS! Should never have been appointed coach of the club in the first place.
Had we got a real coach at the time we’d be sitting here now enjoying the 2000’s that netted us a better haul of silverware than the cats.

You have outdone yourself JB, but please tell us what did the caption say. :wink:

Max would have done better than the clown Lyin picked. Max was shattered. I know because I saw and spoke to him at Etihad the following morning.

GT was a good coach imho. Not a great coach, but a good coach all the same.

Why the hate? Did he cut your grass or something?

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote:You have outdone yourself JB, but please tell us what did the caption say. :wink:

Max would have done better than the clown Lyin picked. Max was shattered. I know because I saw and spoke to him at Etihad the following morning.

GT was a good coach imho. Not a great coach, but a good coach all the same.

Why the hate? Did he cut your grass or something?
GT mowing grass now? His best mate must be the President of Jim's Mowing :wink:

Nothing personal, I think he was handed the keys to a Ferrari but he was still on his L-Plates and couldn't drive it.
Should never have been made coach in the first place.

Of course Max would have been shattered and would have thought he could of should of played, he was a true warrior.
Bt Maz was finished, where did he play in 2010? Did any other AFL club pick him up as a player?
Fact with 2009 is if we kick 3 of the 5 sitters we missed in the first half we win. Schneider misser from the top of the square FFS.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.