Last Big Win v Hawks

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Newman
Club Player

Last Big Win v Hawks

It was 20 years ago in 1997 ....

Round 16 Sat 19 Jul Hawks Waverley Park 43181 Win 141-62 Won by 79 points.
R. Harvey 40 possessions. P. Everitt, S. Loewe, J. Heatley 4 goals each.

It was the first of 9 wins in a row - but tragically what should have been 10 in a row - was a loss to the Crows in GF.

George27
Club Player

Re: Last Big Win v Hawks

Yep, and couple of years later, at the same venue, we led them 11.5 to 1.2- and lost. Spider did his na-na.

In my memory our best win against them was at Princes Park in 1976, when we came from 45 points down in third, to win by 25, after Paul Callery got knocked out ( it turned out it was from friendly fire).

The two finals in 71 still hurt. That flag was ours. Terrible sliding doors moments.

Anyway, great win yesterday. Watching it again as I type this.

Newman
Club Player

Oh that's right ... the 1998 game. Remember watching that. Awful. That actual loss hurt us very badly. From memory we lost a lot of self belief after that loss. Savour the replay. I'll watch today. It was the Hawks Tassie record that concerned me the most in yesterday's game. Great to break that record.

Stephen Theodore
SS Hall of Fame

George27 wrote:Yep, and couple of years later, at the same venue, we led them 11.5 to 1.2- and lost. Spider did his na-na.

In my memory our best win against them was at Princes Park in 1976, when we came from 45 points down in third, to win by 25, after Paul Callery got knocked out ( it turned out it was from friendly fire).

The two finals in 71 still hurt. That flag was ours. Terrible sliding doors moments.

1971 G.F. still leaves a sour taste, 20 odd points up in the wet at 3/4 time

Russman
Club Player

Round 13 2006 at Etihad by 70 points was another useful win.
I was at that game and Hawthorn were insipid that day. We should have won by 100+ but we took the foot off the pedal in the last quarter and they scored 5 junk goals.

Do , or Do not , There is no try.
magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Stephen Theodore wrote:
George27 wrote:Yep, and couple of years later, at the same venue, we led them 11.5 to 1.2- and lost. Spider did his na-na.

Yep. Wouldn't happen today.

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
Trev from the Bush
SS Life Member

Stephen Theodore wrote:

My wife says that, when she wakes me in bed in the middle of the night, I am sweating and saying "bugger Bob Keddie" repeatedly!

Saint supporter since '62
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Stephen Theodore wrote:

We were up by as much as 26 points late in the third..

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Late in the third we were up by 28 points. Almost double Hawthorn's score.

Waltzing St Kilda
SS Hall of Fame

Newman wrote:Oh that's right ... the 1998 game. Remember watching that. Awful. That actual loss hurt us very badly. From memory we lost a lot of self belief after that loss. Savour the replay. I'll watch today. It was the Hawks Tassie record that concerned me the most in yesterday's game. Great to break that record.
Actually '99. Timmy's first year as coach. Playing great footy to that point but it all fell apart.
The defining moment? Spider gives away two successive 50m penalties (or was it three?),
resulting in Hawks goal. Timmy drags him and Spider trudges off, glaring at
the coaches' box. Authority breached, respect lost, end of story.

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

Waltzing St Kilda wrote:
Newman wrote:Oh that's right ... the 1998 game. Remember watching that. Awful. That actual loss hurt us very badly. From memory we lost a lot of self belief after that loss. Savour the replay. I'll watch today. It was the Hawks Tassie record that concerned me the most in yesterday's game. Great to break that record.
Actually '99. Timmy's first year as coach. Playing great footy to that point but it all fell apart.
The defining moment? Spider gives away two successive 50m penalties (or was it three?),
In 98, we lost a final to Norf and Alves lost the confidence of the board.
Timid Timmy was anointed by the board.

Then, in the comeback game by the Hawks when they ran over us,
Timmy said some players "have heads as big as a boarding-house pudding"

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

WellardSaint wrote:
Waltzing St Kilda wrote:
In 98, we lost a final to Norf and Alves lost the confidence of the board.
Timid Timmy was anointed by the board.

Then, in the comeback game by the Hawks when they ran over us,
Timmy said some players "have heads as big as a boarding-house pudding"
I believe in 98 we lost finals to Sydney and Melbourne

To the top
SS Life Member

I recall us beating Hawthorn when their home ground was Princes Park

It was a very big day because of our record at that ground

Then when we actually beat Carlton there!

St Kilda had the intention of Drafting Watson with the view of introducing him to the Club as a potential future Coach

However Essendon got wind somehow and got in before us with Watson then playing in a premiership side

To get in before Essendon Watson was appointed St Kilda Coach believing Essendon were going to anoint him as Sheedy's successor

The second guessing did not work because Watson did not have the authority to successfully coach

And he never went on to coach Essendon because of his failings at St Kilda

loris
Saintsational Legend

Trev from the Bush wrote:
Stephen Theodore wrote:

My wife says that, when she wakes me in bed in the middle of the night, I am sweating and saying "bugger Bob Keddie" repeatedly!
I did it really hard Trev. Not only witnessing Bob Keddie destroy us. Worse still , Bob & his wife lived in Villa Unit next to mine in Lyndhurst Crescent Hawthorn, so I suffered his presence as a neighbour for years untill he split with his wife. Tho I must admit he had a bloody fantastic body to perve on through the kitchen window, when he was working shirtless in the backyard. :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

Waltzing St Kilda
SS Hall of Fame

loris wrote:
Trev from the Bush wrote:
Stephen Theodore wrote:

I did it really hard Trev. Not only witnessing Bob Keddie destroy us. Worse still , Bob & his wife lived in Villa Unit next to mine in Lyndhurst Crescent Hawthorn, so I suffered his presence as a neighbour for years untill he split with his wife. Tho I must admit he had a bloody fantastic body to perve on through the kitchen window, when he was working shirtless in the backyard. :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:
By the sound of Trev's nocturnal mutterings, he had a thing for Keddie too.