Can we not get back into Tasmania?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

Re: Can we not get back into Tasmania?

Johnny Member wrote:http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/f ... zs08k.html

http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2016-07-0 ... ht/7571982
http://m.afl.com.au/news/2015-08-05/whe ... n-tasmania

My understanding is, and I'm happy to be corrected, is that its not that lucrative at all. The AFL dont see it that way and I wouldn't be surprised if Hawthorn pull out after this contract ends.

I also dont believe the AFL wanted us there.
Some really interesting links there Johnny, which I'd previously failed to know about. Thanks for posting them. :)

From my reading, the deal is lucrative, at least for the Dawks - went a long way to saving them from insolvency when they first went there as paupers. Though you're right, Tassie government funding could be a problem if withdrawn.

repta wrote:NO NO NO NO NO.

I can't work out what the benefit of selling our home games actually provides the club.

Positives
- More cash
- more 3/4 game members
- bigger basis for sponsorship

Cons
- 9 interstate games a year... eg almost every second week.
- takes out ability for a 16 game membership
- close to zero publicity in Melbourne for the game (eg SEN and foxtel only)
- less publicity /air time takes away from attractiveness to sponsors
- cant win interstate/overseas

Therefore i see it as you sell your soul for some quick cash. With hopefully improving stadium deals we won't have to resort to prostituting ourselves to the highest bidder.
I hear you repta. Selling one's soul and prostituting oneself are to be avoided at all costs. I'd add risking being relocated to that list also.

But since we're doing pros (of all kinds :wink: - and I'd add access to 'our' own Tassie academy players as a huge pro that's not on your list above) and cons, I'd like to propose the following. If we could swing it, and this should avoid your (our) fears, I'd be very happy for us to look at...

- Playing an annual six home games. Three in both of Lonny, and beautiful Hobart.
- (As a fallback if really pushed, we could consider extending this agreement (as follows) to seven games annually.)
- For temperature and general comfort of the punters reasons, I'd be pushing for early and late in the season games, and during daylight hours. (Though I wouldn't turn down a Friday night opportunity.)
- And we should be guaranteed one Friday night free-to-air game a season - on top of whatever we're allocated based on form.
- Correspondingly less 'other' interstate away games, though happy to play Victorian clubs in promotional-type games, like the Dreamons in Alice. (Our beloved desertsaint has been waiting far too long).
- Each of the Tassie games to be made up for, with our members getting admission to the equivalent number of Saint's away games. (Victorian or interstate away games.) Plus two an extra Saint's away games, as compensation for the loss of 'home member's rights' at such games.
- And, those Saint's members attendance numbers at said 'compensation' games to be credited to our coffers, just as they would be if our members rocked up to a 'normal' saint's home game. We could even end up 'hijacking the crowd numbers' at some away games. :twisted:
- Our Tassie games to be televised on free-to-air TV. (It makes perfect sense, if the AFL is fair dinkum about promoting Tassie footy. :wink: )
- The academy idea, with exclusive access to players is a must. We get elite young talent, and, we also maintain the strong and proud history of Tasmanians who have played for our great club.

The non-negotiable imperative to all this though, is to maintain our presence in Victoria! Home, purpose and meaning for our great club, are centred in St Kilda. Any Tassie deal would not and should not ever be part of some precursor to an eventual relocation!!!

I can't speak for others, but personally, I'd be backing Matt and Ameet to deliver on getting us such a deal. :D

Thoughts?

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

Glad we walked from Tasmania and furious if we revive the NZ nonsense.

We are a Melbourne team, specifically the bayside team, that is where our supporter base is concentrated and that is our spiritual home. Any of this playing games interstate nonsense creates a risk of relocation when times are bad. Who knows, Hawthorn may end up in Tassie permanently.

If we're getting raped in our stadium deal, man up and fight to fix it. I can live with playing at the Docklands, aside from the deal. However, I would prefer that the AFL built a 35,000 seater at Moorabbin and we move back. Despite the fact that I now live in the Western Suburbs.

Tassie deserves its own team playing its home games in Launceston & Hobart. In the end that will probably be a RELOCATED Nth Melbourne. Yet the AFL props up two unviable teams in QLD and an unviable team in NSW. If Sydney has a few lean years, they will struggle too.

Just one home venue for me thanks.
Last edited by Linton Lodger on Wed 03 May 2017 2:02pm, edited 1 time in total.

repta
Club Player

Stadium at Moorabbin.... bring it on....
Play GWS, GC, Freo, PA and any other team with no supporter base in Melb.

Bring footy back to the people

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

No

StKilda is our Name

We haven't been there for 60 years

Moorabbin

We haven't been there for 25 yrs playing, 7 training

Waverley

We haven't been there for 18 years

Seaford... home training base since 2011

Etihad has been our HOME GROUND since 2000

Don't care where our home is... as long as we make money, and supporters get to see us

asiu
Saintsational Legend

i also don't really care where 'home' is either as long as we survive.
after that basic
thriving wherever we are would be a bonus.

my local team that i grew up with in the TFL ... folded.
Dust.
Gawn.

no thanks on repeating that with the Saints.

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
santazzi
Club Player

asiu wrote:i also don't really care where 'home' is either as long as we survive.
after that basic
thriving wherever we are would be a bonus.

my local team that i grew up with in the TFL ... folded.
Dust.
Gawn.

no thanks on repeating that with the Saints.
Is that team Sandy Bay?? If so ditto. It was Roos junior club.

asiu
Saintsational Legend

yep ... a Seagulls boy.

down the hill (mt nelson) over the fence and in through the hedge just to left of the top gates.

Loved everything to do with em.
Great footy side.

asiu
Saintsational Legend

i didnt know that about Rooey
.... thought all his mob played for Clarence

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Chris Riewoldt, Jack Riewoldt

Played at Clarence

Nick played u11 at Sandy Bay

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Linton Lodger wrote:Glad we walked from Tasmania and furious if we revive the NZ nonsense.

We are a Melbourne team, specifically the bayside team, that is were our supporter base is concentrated and that is our spiritual home. Any of this playing games interstate nonsense creates a risk of relocation when times are bad. Who knows, Hawthorn may end up in Tassie permanently.

If we're getting raped in our stadium deal, man up and fight to fix it. I can live with playing at the Docklands, aside from the deal. However, I would prefer that the AFL built a 35,000 seater at Moorabbin and we move back. Despite the fact that I now live in the Western Suburbs.

Tassie deserves its own team playing its home games in Launceston & Hobart. In the end that will probably be a RELOCATED Nth Melbourne. Yet the AFL props up two unviable teams in QLD and an unviable team in NSW. If Sydney has a few lean years, they will struggle too.

Just one home venue for me thanks.
GWS will eventually end up being based in Canberra.

They got more people to the GWS V Doggies game at Manuka Oval than the Roos did to their game V the Suns at the Dome. And it was f****** freezing from all accounts.
Last edited by saynta on Wed 03 May 2017 4:44pm, edited 1 time in total.

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

repta wrote:Stadium at Moorabbin.... bring it on....

Keep the dream Alive, repta. I wish this could happen, but fear it will ever eventuate. I reckon the first time Sandy plays at Moorabbin, hopefully in saints' colours, it will be a lockout. Even against the poor drawing interstaters, I reckon we would sell out a 25k stadium. What about reviving the old animal enclosure? You know it makes sense. Now all we need is someone to stump up 100 million or so. State government for half and name it the Lindsay Fox stadium in exchange for the cash. Or Linfox stadium. Whatever. Make it happen!

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

White Winmar wrote:
repta wrote:Stadium at Moorabbin.... bring it on....

Keep the dream Alive, repta. I wish this could happen, but fear it will ever eventuate. I reckon the first time Sandy plays at Moorabbin, hopefully in saints' colours, it will be a lockout. Even against the poor drawing interstaters, I reckon we would sell out a 25k stadium. What about reviving the old animal enclosure? You know it makes sense. Now all we need is someone to stump up 100 million or so. State government for half and name it the Lindsay Fox stadium in exchange for the cash. Or Linfox stadium. Whatever. Make it happen!
The AFL wants to build another stadium, so why not? The Junction would be a consolation, but going back to Moorabbin would be a dream. It could primarily be St Kilda's home, with Melbourne & possibly Hawthorn playing low drawing games against interstate teams there.

Hawthorn's supporter base is mainly in the East and south of the Yarra, whatever supporter base Melbourne has is in the south.

I don't know why they want to build stadiums all in the same bloody area. The govt shouldn't allow them to.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

They are training facilities ... who cares where they are?

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

when so many were trying to get out of it.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Anyone get the sense that we play better outside these days...

We seem more suited to the conditions

Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

BigMart wrote:They are training facilities ... who cares where they are?
Wot duh is going on around this place??? :shock:

First we had Saynta channelling Pluggsy.

Now, you're doing it Martin.

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational