Toby Greene

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

Re: Toby Greene

:x
Moods wrote:
White Winmar wrote:I'm with you about the soccer, Saynta. The beautiful game, or the boring game? I had to laugh when I came across a research project done by An expert in violence at soccer matches and hooliganism in British culture. I can't remember the author's name but it was published around 1994, when I was still a detective, so I was interested in the results as to the motivation and psychology behind individual and group violence at sporting venues.

One of the major reasons given for violence at the soccer was that it was basically a boring game, with long periods in which little happened to captivate or hold the attention of fans. A bit of a case of the devil finding work for idle hands. Frustration was built by the difficulty in scoring and the lack of goals, the object of the game. In which other game can you play for 90 minutes and not achieve the primary objective? Imagine a score of 0/0 after a session of cricket. A tennis rally that lasted 90 minutes without a winning shot. An AFL or rugby match without a score for that period? No wonder the idiots would riot. IMHO, the most overrated sport on the planet. If it hadn't been for England colonising half the world, I doubt it would be anything but a curiosity, played in the counties of England and Scotland.
Why hasn't cricket taken off around the world then? If the only criteria is the poms colonising half the world why didn't the world get into cricket?

For mine I love sport. The theatre of it, the atmosphere, the intensity. I spent 6 weeks in England about 20 years ago. I took a mild interest in the EPL whilst in Melbourne, but nothing more than watching Ian Rush score some goals in the highlights in WWOS on a Sunday morning. By the end of my time in England I could hold a conversation with locals on the train about the sport. The point is, if you allow yourself to assimilate with the culture/society you find that you enjoy the things that they do. I reckon Aussie Rules is the best game in the world bar none. It's the obvious reason women are so desperate to play it. However I've never understood how ppl are so dismissive of other sports. Go to an EPL game live and there's an atmosphere like I've never experienced at a sporting event - and I've been to at least 20 AFL GF's. Watch guys attack the ball with their feet whilst another player comes charging in knowing that a false move could mean a broken leg. Racing back for a header is almost the same as backing back for a mark. It takes a lot more courage than I ever gave it credit - just because players roll around on the ground like sooks faking for a free doesn't mean it doesn't take courage to play it. And it's as skillful as anything I've seen as well. Off side rule makes it hard to score which makes it frustrating as well as intriguing.
All good points, Moods, but I beg to differ about cricket. About a third of the world's population follow it, and it was widely played in the USA and Canada up until the 20's, when baseball took over. Ashes touring teams still played games there until the 50's. It was then essentially seen as an elitist sport, whereas baseball was the people's game. There are over 30 countries that play well enough to qualify for the World Cup and the game is growing in Europe and the states because of the sub continental diaspora. Southern Africa is well catered for, with Kenya, Namibia, Zimbabwe and the Saffers.

Cricket faced the same difficulties as Aussie Rules in getting established because of the size and type of playing fields, along with the time taken to play the game and complexity of the rules. As team sports go, I think only soccer would have cricket covered for popularity. The simplicity of soccer, the ease of playing with a round ball, with its predictable behaviour and the smaller space required were all factors in it catching on. I can admire the skills on show and acknowledge how good the pros are, it's just it doesn't float my boat the way AFL does. I don't think anything compares to the combat without bullets that AFL is. Soccer players as courageous and tough as AFL players? Give me a spell, moods. They're not trained to be courageous. I doubt they would last long in an AFL game, physically or mentally. You have to be one tough hombre to play elite level AFL.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
meher baba
Saintsational Legend

ace wrote:
meher baba wrote:I'll believe he's going to get two weeks when I see it in the press. He's a star from a club that the AFL desperately wants to succeed. Remember Barry Hall in 2005...

BTW, "Western Sydney's own AFL team" won a thriller against the reigning premiers last night. What sort of coverage did it get in the Sydney press and media: stuff all.

The whole Sydney and Queensland AFL thing is basically a fantasy. GWS look certain to win a few premierships over the next decade or so, with a team full of Victorians, and the only meaning it will have is in terms of the additional money the AFL got through TV rights by dint of being a "national" competition.

And that isn't going to matter in a few years' time, once the IT boffins have finished refining their technology for internet live broadcasts onto big screen TVs. And then we can expect to see teams like GWS and the Suns, and perhaps even the Swans and Lions, slowly fade away.
The IT people argument is irrelevant.
The AFL owns the content rights even if comes to you by osmosis.
It just means more people will have access.
And that will always be the AFL big money stream.
Yes, but internet streaming will change the entire market structure. There will no longer be such a thing as a national free to air television market, nor a national single-source subscriber market in the form of FOXTEL: which are the markets which currently drive the price of TV sports broadcast rights, and which therefore makes it imperative for the AFL to have teams in NSW and Queensland.

In a subscriber-driven television market, the AFL TV audience will consist entirely of those people who pay for subscriptions to watch games and then actually turn them on and watch them: and completely reliable numbers of these will be available to advertisers. If there are relatively stuff-all AFL viewers in NSW and Queensland, then teams such as GWS and the Giants will be virtually meaningless either in terms of subscription revenue or advertiser revenue. And then they will need to be able to stand on their own two feet, which of course they can't.

Or the AFL can continue to fund the continuing existence as a sort of vanity project, but I doubt that, under this scenario, the other clubs would countenance more than one team in NSW and one in Qld.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
Moods
Saintsational Legend

White Winmar wrote::x
Moods wrote:
White Winmar wrote:I'm with you about the soccer, Saynta. The beautiful game, or the boring game? I had to laugh when I came across a research project done by An expert in violence at soccer matches and hooliganism in British culture. I can't remember the author's name but it was published around 1994, when I was still a detective, so I was interested in the results as to the motivation and psychology behind individual and group violence at sporting venues.

One of the major reasons given for violence at the soccer was that it was basically a boring game, with long periods in which little happened to captivate or hold the attention of fans. A bit of a case of the devil finding work for idle hands. Frustration was built by the difficulty in scoring and the lack of goals, the object of the game. In which other game can you play for 90 minutes and not achieve the primary objective? Imagine a score of 0/0 after a session of cricket. A tennis rally that lasted 90 minutes without a winning shot. An AFL or rugby match without a score for that period? No wonder the idiots would riot. IMHO, the most overrated sport on the planet. If it hadn't been for England colonising half the world, I doubt it would be anything but a curiosity, played in the counties of England and Scotland.
Why hasn't cricket taken off around the world then? If the only criteria is the poms colonising half the world why didn't the world get into cricket?

For mine I love sport. The theatre of it, the atmosphere, the intensity. I spent 6 weeks in England about 20 years ago. I took a mild interest in the EPL whilst in Melbourne, but nothing more than watching Ian Rush score some goals in the highlights in WWOS on a Sunday morning. By the end of my time in England I could hold a conversation with locals on the train about the sport. The point is, if you allow yourself to assimilate with the culture/society you find that you enjoy the things that they do. I reckon Aussie Rules is the best game in the world bar none. It's the obvious reason women are so desperate to play it. However I've never understood how ppl are so dismissive of other sports. Go to an EPL game live and there's an atmosphere like I've never experienced at a sporting event - and I've been to at least 20 AFL GF's. Watch guys attack the ball with their feet whilst another player comes charging in knowing that a false move could mean a broken leg. Racing back for a header is almost the same as backing back for a mark. It takes a lot more courage than I ever gave it credit - just because players roll around on the ground like sooks faking for a free doesn't mean it doesn't take courage to play it. And it's as skillful as anything I've seen as well. Off side rule makes it hard to score which makes it frustrating as well as intriguing.

All good points, Moods, but I beg to differ about cricket. About a third of the world's population follow it, and it was widely played in the USA and Canada up until the 20's, when baseball took over. Ashes touring teams still played games there until the 50's. It was then essentially seen as an elitist sport, whereas baseball was the people's game. There are over 30 countries that play well enough to qualify for the World Cup and the game is growing in Europe and the states because of the sub continental diaspora. Southern Africa is well catered for, with Kenya, Namibia, Zimbabwe and the Saffers.

Cricket faced the same difficulties as Aussie Rules in getting established because of the size and type of playing fields, along with the time taken to play the game and complexity of the rules. As team sports go, I think only soccer would have cricket covered for popularity. The simplicity of soccer, the ease of playing with a round ball, with its predictable behaviour and the smaller space required were all factors in it catching on. I can admire the skills on show and acknowledge how good the pros are, it's just it doesn't float my boat the way AFL does. I don't think anything compares to the combat without bullets that AFL is. Soccer players as courageous and tough as AFL players? Give me a spell, moods. They're not trained to be courageous. I doubt they would last long in an AFL game, physically or mentally. You have to be one tough hombre to play elite level AFL.
Interesting history lesson and I'm not being sarcastic. I had no idea that cricket was ever played in the USA. I would argue that when the 2nd largest country (population wise) is fanatical about the game, then this distorts the popularity of the sport. About 6 countries play the game seriously and countries like Holland and Ireland are about as serious about it as us Aussies are about Lacrosse.

Not sure that I said that it takes as much courage to play soccer as AFL, just that it takes courage. I only make that point as a common criticism is that it's a game for the weak.

I played footy (Aussie Rules) for 20 odd years and it's bloody scary sometimes, even at lower levels. It's why it builds such enormous comradeship. Players feel like they've actually been through something together and builds respect among guys like nothing else I know. Watching an AFL game up close can be genuinely intimidating. My eldest daughter's eyeballs nearly pop out of her head at how hard the players hit and their desperation for the pill.

supersaints
Club Player

It's interesting that a cowardly king hit from behind gets two weeks under the current system ....used to be about four weeks in the gold old days .. you can get the same two weeks in a collision with no intended malice.
That being said in the gold old days he would have got his just deserts dealt out by the opposing team.. no one likes a sniper

And the president said " I did not have sex with that woman"
And our former president said " Football is like golf" 

Go Sainters !!!!!
evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

This thread.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

GWS pretending to be be hard done by with 'we might challenge'.
What a chirade

Deliberate
High
Clenched fist
High impact
Caused injury
Clearly late
Player has a record

Was 2 weeks clearly.

stjohnc
Club Player