Small Forwards?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

Small Forwards?

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/d ... vuguq.html

Interesting.

Are we on the wrong track?

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

Re: Small Forwards?

Interesting, yes. But I'd still like at least 2 talls in our forward fifty when the ball is being kicked high and long. Like all winning sides, a pre-requisite is a combination of both....... PLUS that even more important commodity: SKILL! Good post though, makes for interesting reading! Thanks for sharing it JM!

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
Milne
Club Player

Our forward line is in great shape without a Milne type player, we just need to convert more of our chances.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Johnny Member wrote:http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/d ... vuguq.html

Interesting.

What track do you mean?

"Having assembled his own brigade of small forwards this year – Daniel Rioli, Jason Castagna and Dan Butler "" who in hewight are: Daniel Rioli 179, Jason Castagna 181 and Dan Butler 182.

Saints this week have:
Gresham 177
Minch 179
Sinclair 180
Weller 182
Billings 184

PLUS have also had play forward this year;
Lonie 174
Long 182
Wrright 185

I don't think that the Saints are lacking playing small forwards this season, and indeed in some games IMO we have had too many in the one team.

The Tigers have won 5 yeas, but have also had a very soft draw. Let's see how they and their forward line go over the next 4 weeks after playing some tougher opponents.
Last edited by saintsRrising on Fri 28 Apr 2017 4:52pm, edited 2 times in total.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
St Chris
SS Hall of Fame

The main function of small forward in today's football is to pressure the ball coming out and create forward-half turnovers.

I have no idea of the stats but I reckon our small brigade do this pretty well. Even Bruce is a machine when the other team has the ball - remember the goal he kicked when Jimmy Gwilt coughed it up last year, and he very nearly replicated that last week against the Cats (if i remember correctly, he gave away a soft free in his desperation)

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

Is the Bruce-McCartin-Membrey '3 pronged tall attack' outdated?

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

SaintsRrising; excellent points mate! IMHO Jade Gresham is going to be an absolute GUN! He's still only 19 with a lot to learn, yesterday shows amazing maturity in some tight situations.

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:
Johnny Member wrote:http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/d ... vuguq.html

Interesting.

What track do you mean?

"Having assembled his own brigade of small forwards this year – Daniel Rioli, Jason Castagna and Dan Butler "" who in hewight are: Daniel Rioli 179, Jason Castagna 181 and Dan Butler 182.

Saints this week have:
Gresham 177
Minch 179
Sinclair 180
Weller 182
Billings 184

PLUS have also had play forward this year;
Lonie 174
Long 182
Wrright 185

I don't think that the Saints are lacking playing small forwards this season, and indeed in some games IMO we have had too many in the one team.

The Tigers have won 5 yeas, but have also had a very soft draw. Let's see how they and their forward line go over the next 4 weeks after playing some tougher opponents.

I dont think its a question of personnel - but more a question of structure.

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

:D +1 JM! :D

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Johnny Member wrote:Is the Bruce-McCartin-Membrey '3 pronged tall attack' outdated?

Well based on the Tigers (who were the focus of the article) starting 6 in the forward line this week this week, then no:

FF Dustin Martin 187 Jack Riewoldt 195 Kamdyn McIntosh 192

HF Daniel Rioli 179 Todd Elton 197 Dan Butler 182'

It is actually taller than the Saints starting 6 which has 3 smalls, a medium and 2 talls.
Tigers have 2 smalls, 2 mediums and 2 talls.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

If you look at the current top 6 teams none are really playing tiny forward lines, and indeed the Saints at times would have played smaller forward structures this year than many of them. Remember to also compare who is on the bench rotating through.

Today teams do not so much play set forward structures, but have a number of players moving through it. On average this year IMO the Saints have had in too many games too many dedicated small forwards rather than the reverse.

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

I think the title of the article sums it up!

Damien hardick says........keep moving, nothing to see here.
Triple premiership coach Damien Hardwick who has always been ahead of the curve :roll:

It is all about the cattle available.
I dont see the GWS dropping Patton, Lobb or Cameron this week.
If you have three gun talls, play them all, if your smalls are better than your talls play them instead.

Hardwick has moved on Vickery and replaced him with one of Rioli, Georgie Costanza or Butler.
No wonder he is preferring an extra small forward to an extra tall :D
If he had Franklin available to him, would he fit the extra tall in?

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

St Chris wrote:The main function of small forward in today's football is to pressure the ball coming out and create forward-half turnovers.

I have no idea of the stats but I reckon our small brigade do this pretty well. Even Bruce is a machine when the other team has the ball - remember the goal he kicked when Jimmy Gwilt coughed it up last year, and he very nearly replicated that last week against the Cats (if i remember correctly, he gave away a soft free in his desperation)
Last year? That play you mention was in 2015, when Bwoose was actually making an impact.
2016 was a forgettable one for Bwoose, who gave nothing but a lot of blood and sweat, and giving us fans a truckload of tears
Maybe you forgot last year, I'd like to

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
Griggsy
SS Life Member

Johnny Member wrote:Is the Bruce-McCartin-Membrey '3 pronged tall attack' outdated?
yup, shame it lasted only a year....Adelaide are terrible with walker, jenkins and lynch :P Eagles Kennedy, Darling + Resting ruck (when they dont have them all injured)

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

Lonie, Long, Gresham, Sinclair, even NOK - we've got em. Richo doesn't know how to use them properly. Long looks a likely type with his speed, tackling agression and run down ability - needs some time to develop. Members is a medium forward. So you can have Bruce/McCArtin as your twin towers that most premierships team have. Just one big forward to go through is too simplistic. Marshall could be an option as the ruck-fwd and maybe that puts some pressure on Bruce and McCartin to be the number 1 forward. Bruce is struggling to get back to that marking powerhouse he was. If he can't show he can be a genuine power-forward, his spot could come under pressure. He's not really a pack splitter and is struggling to get separation on the lead. Who are you Bruce?

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Joffa Burns wrote:I think the title of the article sums it up!

Damien hardick says........keep moving, nothing to see here.
Triple premiership coach Damien Hardwick who has always been ahead of the curve :roll:

It is all about the cattle available.
I dont see the GWS dropping Patton, Lobb or Cameron this week.
If you have three gun talls, play them all, if your smalls are better than your talls play them instead.

Hardwick has moved on Vickery and replaced him with one of Rioli, Georgie Costanza or Butler.
No wonder he is preferring an extra small forward to an extra tall :D
If he had Franklin available to him, would he fit the extra tall in?
I will be really pissed if we don't beat Richmond.

If we don't we'll know for sure that the rebuild has failed and that we really are sh*t.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.