Game plan. Are we being honest with ourselves?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

ace
Saintsational Legend

Re: Game plan. Are we being honest with ourselves?

White Winmar wrote:Point number 2 sums it up in 25 words or less, SRS. Apart from Steven and Roo, we don't have players who can really change the momentum of a game. It was interesting how we flagged when Steven and Roo went off. Cheatwood and Dangermouse murdered us, especially when it counted. Cheat wood all night and danger when he got off the leash in the last. It's why you need elite talent to be a genuine top 4 threat. Martin or Fyfe, anyone?
Both

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
Toy Saint
SS Hall of Fame

Are we discussing the Game Plan or the quality of our list and recuriting?

We chose to draft Paddy McCartin ahead of all others, he's a gun stay-at-home forward in the mold of the great Tony Lockett. If we're looking for an alternate game plan why not play Paddy out of the goal square? This would straighten up our mids, they'd have confidence to kick it long to the big man with the strong hands.

How would our opponents handle that? What if Sydney left Buddy in the goal square? It would only take a few 'sling-shot' moves over the 'wall' to ensure the defender stayed with him.

This is an alternate plan. It is a roll of the dice, and it's potentially exciting. There could be side benefits, Paddy would burn less energy and require fewer breaks, and I'm pretty sure it would give our mids confidence and a great target. If in doubt, kick long to Paddy, otherwise pass to a team mate in a much better position.

saint64
Club Player

Toy Saint wrote:Are we discussing the Game Plan or the quality of our list and recuriting?

We chose to draft Paddy McCartin ahead of all others, he's a gun stay-at-home forward in the mold of the great Tony Lockett. If we're looking for an alternate game plan why not play Paddy out of the goal square? This would straighten up our mids, they'd have confidence to kick it long to the big man with the strong hands.

How would our opponents handle that? What if Sydney left Buddy in the goal square? It would only take a few 'sling-shot' moves over the 'wall' to ensure the defender stayed with him.

This is an alternate plan. It is a roll of the dice, and it's potentially exciting. There could be side benefits, Paddy would burn less energy and require fewer breaks, and I'm pretty sure it would give our mids confidence and a great target. If in doubt, kick long to Paddy, otherwise pass to a team mate in a much better position.
Paddy may well still be a really good player for us, but I think we should avoid Tony Lockett comparisons. Lockett had about 200 goals by the same stage of his career. Lockett was a lead up forward, a crumbing and snapping forward, an overhead pack marking forward and a wrecking ball forward all in one. I can see what you are saying - he is probably better suited to playing from the goal square. Unfortuately though to date defenders have found it too easy to spoil and run off him. Perhaps that will change once he improves his strength and athleticism.

Freebird
Club Player

A good game plan relies on your midfield running and creating - unfortunately, we only have Jack.

Can't have a good game plan with a week midfield!

mullet
Saintsational Legend

After 9 rounds last year North were atop the ladder unbeaten and we were in 13th spot with only 3 wins.

Long way to go

Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

mullet wrote:After 9 rounds last year North were atop the ladder unbeaten and we were in 13th spot with only 3 wins.

Long way to go
Indeed, there is very much of this season to come and there will be many twists and turns.Richmond are NOT a 5-0 team and Sydney are not a 0-5 team for a start.

mullet
Saintsational Legend

Linton Lodger wrote:
mullet wrote:After 9 rounds last year North were atop the ladder unbeaten and we were in 13th spot with only 3 wins.

Long way to go
Indeed, there is very much of this season to come and there will be many twists and turns.Richmond are NOT a 5-0 team and Sydney are not a 0-5 team for a start.
Totally Agree

saint64
Club Player

saint64 wrote:
Toy Saint wrote:Are we discussing the Game Plan or the quality of our list and recuriting?

Paddy may well still be a really good player for us, but I think we should avoid Tony Lockett comparisons. Lockett had about 200 goals by the same stage of his career. Lockett was a lead up forward, a crumbing and snapping forward, an overhead pack marking forward and a wrecking ball forward all in one. I can see what you are saying - he is probably better suited to playing from the goal square. Unfortuately though to date defenders have found it too easy to spoil and run off him. Perhaps that will change once he improves his strength and athleticism.
Correction: Plugger only had 107 goals by this stage (after round 5, third season)

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Are you really counting Pluggers 1983 as season 1... he came in as a kid playing in the fp that year for a trial basically

He only turned 17 during that season.... I think what was referring to was Same age....

The round you're referring, round 5 1985... plugger had only just turned 19. Paddy is nearly two years older than that

And Plug had already won a goal kicking award, about to win number 2

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

Comparing McCartin to plugger is like comparing Scott Watters to Norm Smith!
Let;s just show a bit of patience and see what he turns into.

Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

BigMart wrote:Are you really counting Pluggers 1983 as season 1... he came in as a kid playing in the fp that year for a trial basically

He only turned 17 during that season.... I think what was referring to was Same age....

The round you're referring, round 5 1985... plugger had only just turned 19. Paddy is nearly two years older than that

And Plug had already won a goal kicking award, about to win number 2
And Plugger was one of the greatest players of all time. However, Paddy has some of his traits, one being his reading of the ball in flight. I think people underestimate what a strength that's going to be.