Changes v Hawks

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Changes v Hawks

In: Hickey, McCartin, Stevens/Sinclair
Out: Longer, Long, Dunstan

Hickey for Longer a no-brainer.

We need to persevere with Paddy and I feel he gives the forward line an extra dimension. Rotate he and Bruce between FF and CHF.

I think Paddy is an old-fashioned full forward and will eventually be at his best in that role as one of the bookends. Bruce needs to find some separation on his opponents and CHF may help him there.

Dunstan needs a spell and Stevens/Sinclair deserve a shot.

I also want to see Acres given more of a go at the centre clearances. Gresham also, though his form was lousy yesterday.

Apart from Jack S. and the accumulator Seb Ross, we lack creativity and spark there. Hickey will help.
Last edited by bigcarl on Mon 24 Apr 2017 9:50am, edited 1 time in total.

longtimesaint
Club Player

Re: Changes v Hawks

I agree with these changes and would give Sinclair the spot ahead of Koby.
We need to have plenty of pace as that is what Hawthorn struggle with.
We need to test their aging stars.

One year will be our year
Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

Outs:
Long - Not up to senior level just yet
Longer - Doesn't give us anything around the ground
Dunstan - Doesn't get enough possessions as a midfielder
Gresham - Tries to do too much 'me me me' stuff. It's a team game Jade
Bruce - Doesn't do enough as a forward and a deplorable 2nd ruck option
Webster - Butcher
Gilbert - Doesn't do enough most weeks for an experienced player

Ins:
Sinclair
Hickey
Stevens (if fit)
Wright
Marshall (rookie upgrade for Dempster)
Rice
McKenzie

I could change a few more but they never make too many changes so I'd go for the first 3 in each category as a minimum

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
Saint wagga
Club Player

bigcarl wrote:In: Hickey, McCartin, Stevens/Sinclair
Out: Longer, Long, Dunstan

Hickey for Longer a no-brainer.

We need to persevere with Paddy and I feel he gives the forward line an extra dimension. Rotate he and Bruce between FF and CHF.

I think Paddy is an old-fashioned full forward and will eventually be at his best in that role as one of the bookends. Bruce needs to find some separation on his opponents and CHF may help him there.

Dunstan needs a spell and Stevens/Sinclair deserve a shot.

I also want to see Acres given more of a go at the centre clearances. Gresham also, though his form was lousy yesterday.

Apart from Jack S. and the accumulator Seb Ross, we lack creativity and spark there. Hickey will help.
Pretty on the money with Those changes I reckon!

Not sure why Long was rushed in and leap frogged minchington and Sinclair to be honest. He looks a talent for sure but why wasn't he forced to earn his spot with half a dozen good games at Sandy? Baffling decision imo.

Longer was disappointingly what I remember from 2015, like playing with 17 on the ground in general play and his 'physicality' around stoppage is a myth, he doesn't create space and is no Mumford like bullocking beast. Putting it bluntly he's a s*** afl ruckman and Hickey would have made a big difference on the weekend but that's a moot point now.

Vazelos
Club Player

We lose a game to a top 4 undefeated team and you want to make 8 changes?!!
Gresham? Seriously that's just crazy stuff.
There may be 2 changes, 3 the most I predict.
At some stage this year player like White need to be looked at over players like Gilbert who are at the end.
This will happen when form permits and not positions gifted.

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

as they say in Dads Army....... DONT PANIC! DONT PANIC! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Give the guys a few more weeks and we'll see improvement. NOBODY said that the rebuild was going to be smooth sailing. Stick with it folks!
Go Saints! (to hell with the rest!)

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
SemperFidelis
SS Life Member

Once again I'm pretty sure fitness will dictate changes. Dunnie may not get enough of the ball in clearance but he kicked a blinder yesterday, so I can't see him going out.

Long for Sincs

If Mav's not fit, Wrighty or Stevens in.

Who's our best ruckman against Benny Mac?

Always loyal
Proph3t of egan
Club Player

Still don't understand the Gilbert hate. He does his job week in week out. Thought he was one of the better players yesterday.

Fortius quo Fidelius means Strength through Loyalty. . . I think
ace
Saintsational Legend

SemperFidelis wrote:Once again I'm pretty sure fitness will dictate changes. Dunnie may not get enough of the ball in clearance but he kicked a blinder yesterday, so I can't see him going out.

Long for Sincs

If Mav's not fit, Wrighty or Stevens in.

Who's our best ruckman against Benny Mac?
Benny Mac can't jump.
He prefers to wrestle with his opponent creating a no win ruck contest.
Benny is a slow runner but he has seriously improved his around the ground since his St Kilda's days.
Longer can out jump Benny but he proved against Geelong that is of little value because his hitouts are rarely to advantage.
Longer is little value around the ground.
Hickey can't jump but a no win ruck contest is acceptable because he is more mobile than Benny around the round.

Hickey IN Longer & Long OUT

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
maverick
Saintsational Legend

In
Mccartin Sinclair white
Out
Weller long Dunstan

Assume Stevens won't come up
Need more run and carry
Balance up forward is out which means Bruce and membrey get no separation

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Proph3t of egan wrote:Still don't understand the Gilbert hate. He does his job week in week out. Thought he was one of the better players yesterday.
Agree, I gave him votes. Some see only the negatives and conveniently forget the positives.

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
Proph3t of egan wrote:Still don't understand the Gilbert hate. He does his job week in week out. Thought he was one of the better players yesterday.
Agree, I gave him votes. Some see only the negatives and conveniently forget the positives.
Gilbert 15 possessions and 55 fantasy points on the afl site (15th best) Gresham had 35 points (3rd worst) and Dunstan 45 (17th best). Take off your rose coloured glasses people. We want players that want to play for the red white and black on not for themselves or for the pay packet.

“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

Gilbert is a liability. Has been since 2011. Should've traded him for something worthwhile circa. 2013. Thanks Pelican. Clubs were lining up to give usa Kate first rounder, early second rounder for him. Rejected them all. Thanks genius.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

Out: Long & Longer

In: Hickey & Mc Cartin

I know that K Stevens & Sinclair are deservedly pressing their claims, but who do you drop? I know there is a view here that Dunstan should be dropped, I don't agree. He does a lot of good work at the coalface, the sort of stuff that doesn't necessarily rack up stats. He monsters opponents at the coal face, gets his hands on it and gets it out. I thought his game was solid yesterday.

I'd also like to see DMac get a go, but what do you want to do, drop Roberton or Webster? No way.

Then there's the drop Gilbo people, sorry he has been really good, nothing wrong with his game yesterday.

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

Drop Gilbo. Drop Webster. Bring in DMac and Stevens. Roberton is a gun. Leave him in. McCartin needs to play, as does Sinclair. As do Rice and White. C'mon Richo. Show some imagination. 217 is done and dusted. Let's make it about 2018 and beyond"

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
BringBackMadDog
Club Player

Jacks Back wrote:
bigcarl wrote:
Gilbert 15 possessions and 55 fantasy points on the afl site (15th best) Gresham had 35 points (3rd worst) and Dunstan 45 (17th best). Take off your rose coloured glasses people. We want players that want to play for the red white and black on not for themselves or for the pay packet.
Thats right because fantasy points score is the only way to determine a players effectiveness. Plus your second sentence completely contradicts your first sentence. Fantasy scores are generally higher for those players that chase possessions, players that do the team things, block, shepherd, keep their opposition from having impact (the unselfish stuff and the team stuff) usually score less fantasy points.

#gosaintas
Club Player

At least Gilbert is good for a chuckle. Apart from that...not so much.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

We get it. You don't like Gilbert. Don't see any signs of him being dropped though, so the people who matter at the club clearly rate him very highly.

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

If we are going to select McCartin, FFS, we need to show some faith and leave him in. This back and forth from VFL to AFL is just no good for the lad's confidence.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

drop em all, bring in our vfl team, and give us a real reason to whinge!

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

Vazelos wrote:We lose a game to a top 4 undefeated team and you want to make 8 changes?!!
Gresham? Seriously that's just crazy stuff.
There may be 2 changes, 3 the most I predict.
At some stage this year player like White need to be looked at over players like Gilbert who are at the end.
This will happen when form permits and not positions gifted.
You obviously can't read a complete post where I said we will make no more than 3 changes (the first 3 I listed would be my choice).

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

BringBackMadDog wrote:
Jacks Back wrote:
bigcarl wrote:
Thats right because fantasy points score is the only way to determine a players effectiveness. Plus your second sentence completely contradicts your first sentence. Fantasy scores are generally higher for those players that chase possessions, players that do the team things, block, shepherd, keep their opposition from having impact (the unselfish stuff and the team stuff) usually score less fantasy points.
Gilbert was 7th change on my list but, as I said, they won't make more than 3 changes.

fugazi
Saintsational Legend

Dunstan l has got to go....if only to send a message that 12 touches ain't good enough

Longer out

Long out....will be a player, needs to get a tank

DMac , Stevens and Hickey IN

White for Webster or Gilbert....we need to start selecting ball users

Nee!
longtimesaint
Club Player

Do any of you posters that want radical changes ever watch the matches? -there is so much rubbish spoken.
Dropping either Webster or Gilbert is plain stupid -Webster had a quiet game and made one bad turnover but was among oukvery best the week before.
Gilbert is one of our most desperate players and does more 1%'eras than anyone.
To bring in a kid like White who is not even in the best at Sandy is laughable.
It is time to realize that we are a developing side and at this stage will not often best top four sides.
With another pre-season and further draft/trading we might be there next year.

One year will be our year
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Radical changes

No

Just obvious ones?!

Why can't we just do what Luke Bev does and drop players who don't perform