Is Gresham trying too hard to do the spectacular?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Re: Is Gresham trying too hard to do the spectacular?

Gresh was poor today. Time to rotate someone else through the seniors for a while I yhink,

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

Lonie should spend the year at Sandy, i doubt he'll ever be best 22.

It's why club lists continually evolve, some players just don't cut it.

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote:I notice with Gresh, his decision making is very hit and miss.

He gets the ball, does his step and it's either a goal or bad turnover

An area of his game that could be better is ability to move the ball on when under pressure w/o being mercurial... a handball to a runner, kick it to a 1 on 1 etc

His every touch doesn't have to be the direct play to goal
Gresh tries to do the mercurial all the time, when all that is needed is to move the ball on or kick a goal. Pretty hard to kick a goal on the wing. Just settle down young fella!

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Clubs are aware he doesn't take the first option... he will take on the defender.

So when selling candy now, the opposition don't fall for his dummy handball, knowing he won't give it.... he needs to take the first option some times

Griggsy
SS Life Member

Words can't express how thankful I was for Roo blocking for Bruce when Gresham snapped it inside 50 in the last. Was an extremely fortunate end to that play. Gresh didn't look and had no idea there was even anyone there and wasnt a particularly high kick to create a contest.

I agree with others, needs to find a balance between creativity and being sensible by playing the odds.

carn_sainter
Club Player

No way I would drop him. He just needs to re-adjust to the pace of the game. I think more time in the thick of things will help and we should get him at stoppages and centre clearances a little bit more. Had an off game against the blues.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Though one advantage of a stint at Sandi is that he can be played as a a full time mid for a string of games.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Griggsy wrote:Words can't express how thankful I was for Roo blocking for Bruce when Gresham snapped it inside 50 in the last. Was an extremely fortunate end to that play. Gresh didn't look and had no idea there was even anyone there and wasnt a particularly high kick to create a contest.

I agree with others, needs to find a balance between creativity and being sensible by playing the odds.
I think if you will find that kick was intentional and went to instructions from the coaching staff. What makes it better is that it was a no look attempt that worked.

1 Gresh is clearly a player who undersrands his role,
2 He plays the way he is instructed to, and
3 He has been given a little bit of licence to do what comes naturally.

Greshams strength, balance, skill and intuitive play will make him a gun. Sinclair is similar. They are both like Mitchell has been for a long time. Class.

He and Lonie are different but them competing for the same spot is probably healthy.

gessdoss

CQ SAINT wrote:
Griggsy wrote:Words can't express how thankful I was for Roo blocking for Bruce when Gresham snapped it inside 50 in the last. Was an extremely fortunate end to that play. Gresh didn't look and had no idea there was even anyone there and wasnt a particularly high kick to create a contest.

I think if you will find that kick was intentional and went to instructions from the coaching staff. What makes it better is that it was a no look attempt that worked.

Greshams strength, balance, skill and intuitive play will make him a gun. Sinclair is similar. They are both like Mitchell has been for a long time. Class.

He and Lonie are different but them competing for the same spot is probably healthy.

I agree with this it feels like people are being a bit harsh considering he has kicked 11/11 this season.

sure he has missed some goals but he is consistently dangerous and keeps the opposition guessing easily in top 10 players.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Gresham is not in our top ten players... perhaps in the top ten wrt talent

Delivering on that consistently is another thing?

He should split time between Sandy and StK imo because I don't want him to be a small forward... if he was able to help Jack Steven (by giving him a chop out at stoppage) we will be a better outfit. We need another 'breakaway' mid

Proph3t of egan
Club Player

saintsRrising wrote:Though one advantage of a stint at Sandi is that he can be played as a a full time mid for a string of games.
I was about to say that as well

Fortius quo Fidelius means Strength through Loyalty. . . I think
citywest

Gresham will win the 2019 Brownlow.

Griggsy
SS Life Member

CQ SAINT wrote:

For a team that dominated inside 50s and consistently found opposition players for turnovers I genuinely hope that wasn't the instruction by coaches in the 4th quarter. We ended +2 for marks inside 50.