How many time how many excuses???

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

Re: How many time how many excuses???

Thanks remboy! Just differing opinions, differing perspectives, sometimes expressed in a lively manner, but no malice intended.

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

We are below Essendon ffs.
We beat Collingwood and Lions - both bottom 4 sides

Spud
Club Player
Location: Near the You Yangs, or as my wife used to call it, the Dugongs.

thejiggingsaint wrote:HEY Spud! Good to get your +1 :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
A lazy plus 1, but you get the sentiment.

The Recruit
Club Player

Con Gorozidis wrote:We have won a few meaningless games against the Cats and then we all carry like we won a GF. Last year we beat them in a pointless dead rubber and we all popped champagne like we had won the Superbowl.

The reality is they beat us in all the meaningful games - and Sunday was a meaningful game.
Disagree with this. Round 14 win kept our finals hopes alive.....?.

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

thejiggingsaint wrote:White Winmar...... just why do you bother? really? "This year is already gone"....now THAT attitude is why "we've won one flag in 144 years" I'll take "blueskying" ANY day of the week over schitt like "This Year is already gone"
Just throwing a bit of reality in there, Jiggster. I was talking in terms of finals, which history would suggest is nigh on impossible from our current position. Our form has been disappointing, to say the least. Have you seen our draw over the next 6 weeks? On current form we'll be lucky to make the turn at 4-7. Unlike last year, our draw in the second half of the year doesn't get easier. For some reason, ninth place last year earned us the second hardest draw in the competition this year (according to Champion Data). I bother because I love the saints and I'm allowed to feel disappointment and express it. Just because I don't blue sky everything doesn't make my view any less valid. Blue skying doesn't help anymore than expressing disappointment and reality. In fact, blue skying is delusional.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

thejiggingsaint wrote:Teflon...who the phuck is "making excuses"? Who the phuck says I accept "near enough"? you don't know me from a tin of paint, so how the phuck would YOU know what I "accept"? Being positive about the real strides we've made, does'nt mean that I enjoy or accept defeats and poor performances. I'll take "Blueskying" ANY day of ANY week over posts like: "we're going to lose three in a row" and other similar defeatist schitt. The Cats "culture"? you've got to be kidding! a club that managed to out-choke even Port Adelaide in big games from 1963-2007, hey give the catters time mate, a few seasons out of finals and you'll see the colour of THEIR blood!
Jiggster in keeping with your theme - who phuck cares about YOU? I dont, yup I dont know you and could not give a shyte to know you - why? cause I read enough of your 'oh please leave the boys alone...' tripe on here to know we aint each others cup of tea - Im ok with that.
BTW I'll take the Cats 'mediocre' last decade over ours anyday if thats OK by you - we can all be selective..
So you stay in 'blue sky la la land' and I'll keep my views that for too long we as a club have accepted mediocrity and not demanded a genuine culture of success where we dont idolise individuals (see our list of cult heroes and empty Premiership Cup stand for details..) and make excuses for players who arent up to it.

Better still - why dont you get off the fence, quit sprouting the 'get behind the boys' rubbish and do something interesting and tell us all HOW we are going to improve?? (be careful you may have to form a VIEW that a player isnt up to it.....scary stuff I know...) - unless again, youre going to tell me that we are already good enough to win the thing this year??

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:We are below Essendon ffs.
We beat Collingwood and Lions - both bottom 4 sides
Careful Con - the blue sky brigade will be after you but yep agree with your REALITY.

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

White Winmar wrote:
thejiggingsaint wrote:White Winmar...... just why do you bother? really? "This year is already gone"....now THAT attitude is why "we've won one flag in 144 years" I'll take "blueskying" ANY day of the week over schitt like "This Year is already gone"
Just throwing a bit of reality in there, Jiggster. I was talking in terms of finals, which history would suggest is nigh on impossible from our current position. Our form has been disappointing, to say the least. Have you seen our draw over the next 6 weeks? On current form we'll be lucky to make the turn at 4-7. Unlike last year, our draw in the second half of the year doesn't get easier. For some reason, ninth place last year earned us the second hardest draw in the competition this year (according to Champion Data). I bother because I love the saints and I'm allowed to feel disappointment and express it. Just because I don't blue sky everything doesn't make my view any less valid. Blue skying doesn't help anymore than expressing disappointment and reality. In fact, blue skying is delusional.
Plus 1 great post WW.

“Yeah….nah””
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

The Recruit wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:We have won a few meaningless games against the Cats and then we all carry like we won a GF. Last year we beat them in a pointless dead rubber and we all popped champagne like we had won the Superbowl.

The reality is they beat us in all the meaningful games - and Sunday was a meaningful game.
Disagree with this. Round 14 win kept our finals hopes alive.....?.
Was a dead rubber for them though.

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:
thejiggingsaint wrote:Teflon...who the phuck is "making excuses"? Who the phuck says I accept "near enough"? you don't know me from a tin of paint, so how the phuck would YOU know what I "accept"? Being positive about the real strides we've made, does'nt mean that I enjoy or accept defeats and poor performances. I'll take "Blueskying" ANY day of ANY week over posts like: "we're going to lose three in a row" and other similar defeatist schitt. The Cats "culture"? you've got to be kidding! a club that managed to out-choke even Port Adelaide in big games from 1963-2007, hey give the catters time mate, a few seasons out of finals and you'll see the colour of THEIR blood!
Jiggster in keeping with your theme - who phuck cares about YOU? I dont, yup I dont know you and could not give a shyte to know you - why? cause I read enough of your 'oh please leave the boys alone...' tripe on here to know we aint each others cup of tea - Im ok with that.
BTW I'll take the Cats 'mediocre' last decade over ours anyday if thats OK by you - we can all be selective..
So you stay in 'blue sky la la land' and I'll keep my views that for too long we as a club have accepted mediocrity and not demanded a genuine culture of success where we dont idolise individuals (see our list of cult heroes and empty Premiership Cup stand for details..) and make excuses for players who arent up to it.

Better still - why dont you get off the fence, quit sprouting the 'get behind the boys' rubbish and do something interesting and tell us all HOW we are going to improve?? (be careful you may have to form a VIEW that a player isnt up to it.....scary stuff I know...) - unless again, youre going to tell me that we are already good enough to win the thing this year??
They've also won 3 flags in recent times, Jiggster. I'd take their history over ours, anytime. Hell, I'd just take the '09 premiership. You're bagging them and they have nine flags to our one? A few seasons out of the finals. Who gives a puck if you've got 9 in the bank. Might I remind you we've spent the past 5 out of the finals with a sixth to come this year. I think you might need a reality check.

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:

They've also won 3 flags in recent times, Jiggster. I'd take their history over ours, anytime. Hell, I'd just take the '09 premiership. You're bagging them and they have nine flags to our one? A few seasons out of the finals. Who gives a puck if you've got 9 in the bank. Might I remind you we've spent the past 5 out of the finals with a sixth to come this year. I think you might need a reality check.

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

Success puts bums on seats.
How many in the crowd for the Tigers+Dees game?
We would never ever get that many.

More wins, better performances, might bring a few more through the gates, which could get them better timeslots next year.
The club needs to build on last year, where "Oh, so sad, just missed out on finals by %"
with some blind fans forgetting the thrashings.
Well, we got close to WCE in Perth, so travel issue seems to be solved.
Now they need to address last qtr blowouts. Will that take a whole year to solve, too?
Hmm the coaching staff are deluded if they think a few tweaks will rocket us into the 8.

I posted a few days ago about my Ladder Predictor showing us at 9 wins this year. There may be an extra 2-3 wins there, still not really enough

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
dragit
Saintsational Legend

WellardSaint wrote:Success puts bums on seats.
Aren't they the worst two performing sides of the past 20 years?

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:
The Tiges have won 5, so their bandwagon fans are crawling out of the woodwork.
Last year, Rd One, Tigers and Carlscum got over 70k
I suggest Tigers fans are a bit more loyal than ours, although some elements burn membership cards when they lose a lot of games.

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Waltzing St Kilda
SS Hall of Fame

I just wish I could get more excited about the players of this era.

Look at some past eras:

Baldock, Stewart, Cowboy, Big Carl, Ross Smith, Bob Murray, Barry Lawrence, Stuart Trott, etc., etc.

Lockett, Loewe, Harvey, Burke, Winmar, Frawley, Spider, Aussie Jones, etc. etc.

Riewoldt, Gehrig, Lenny, Dal Santo, Milne, Ball, Goddard, Fisher, Montagna etc., etc.

Today:

Steven? Riewoldt and Montagna still?

dragit
Saintsational Legend

WellardSaint wrote:
dragit wrote:
I suggest Tigers fans are a bit more loyal than ours, although some elements burn membership cards when they lose a lot of games.
So it's not really about success then, unless we are talking premierships from decades ago building loyalty… which is not a crazy concept.

I don't think us winning 4 in a row would bring in a full house last week, maybe a couple of thousand more?

Maybe if we'd won 65, 71, 72, 73, 97, 04, 09 & 10 we'd have bigger turn outs now.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:
WellardSaint wrote:
dragit wrote:
So it's not really about success then, unless we are talking premierships from decades ago building loyalty… which is not a crazy concept.

I don't think us winning 4 in a row would bring in a full house last week, maybe a couple of thousand more?

Maybe if we'd won 65, 71, 72, 73, 97, 04, 09 & 10 we'd have bigger turn outs now.
Winning 1913 would have made us a power house.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

the loss against the cats was a bad one. the media have lost interest in us...they highlight Selwood and Dangerfield to the point of being sickening..... I am still upset about that game and will be for awhile. showed so much promise only to run out of legs once again.

this has been the story so far this year. all the hope we had for a big year is slowly disappearing ...watching Collingwood go down the gurglar won't cut it. I'm not confident.

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

despite a better defence we are not the team we were at the end of 2016. A fair bit off it. Treading water and struggling with it. I think we'll click as we get fitter, but should have been ripe from day one. Need to show more momentum if we want to attract talent.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Waltzing St Kilda wrote:I just wish I could get more excited about the players of this era.

Look at some past eras:

Baldock, Stewart, Cowboy, Big Carl, Ross Smith, Bob Murray, Barry Lawrence, Stuart Trott, etc., etc.

Lockett, Loewe, Harvey, Burke, Winmar, Frawley, Spider, Aussie Jones, etc. etc.

Riewoldt, Gehrig, Lenny, Dal Santo, Milne, Ball, Goddard, Fisher, Montagna etc., etc.

Today:

Steven? Riewoldt and Montagna still?
I hear you.

I remember the buzz when we landed a young Riewoldt in 2000 and followed up with the Hamil/Gehrig coup......we were choc full of young talent with Harvs, Lenny et al running round the midfield.....I too miss not having that calibre of cattle but maybe that's been our problem.....maybe this time around we get the chance to build a more stable chassis.....but IMO playing some of the players we are now and have been for some time wont get us that. Lets get serious about carrying to many unskilled players and if so lets focus on introducing more of the kids who can hit targets under pressure......they wont all be stars but a strong base. Parallel to that, lets look for midfield class - 1 top line FA spend up, 2 recruit the BEST mids available

“Yeah….nah””
spert
Saintsational Legend

The defence is pretty reasonable, but Richo and his team are failing to address the ineffective midfield and forward line- our real weak points, and I reckon the coaching crew have been caught with their pant's down so far. Poorly prepared, poor start to the season, running out of legs by 3/4 time. I think Richo will be under close scrutiny if we keep playing like a bunch of individuals rather than a team for the rest of this season.

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

Still early days. WAY too early to believe that the "season has gone already" results this season ( despite what some want to interpret from them) are still an improvement on 2016. Bad kicking for goal, particularly at relatively easy distances and angles, at set-shot positions has KILLED us. The West Coast game was lost through bad kicking. Melbourne were allowed to survive that second quarter, due in some measure to poor kicking. I'm well aware that I'm setting myself up to be shot down in flames, but this season has a L-O-N-G way to go yet. Yes, we're all disappointed and frustrated at performances so far, we all have our own take on what's wrong and what could be done to improve. The REALITY however, is that it's the coach and his staff along with the players who have the means to get us back to the top. Other than expressing opinions, folk on this forum have little to do with the process, other than to give the guys our backing in their efforts. The least we can do, is to give that.

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

We've won 2 games already - in 2000 we only won 2 games all year.
Looking at the fixture objectively, I can't see us winning any less than 12 games this year. I also can't see us winning 13 games either. 12 wins and a healthy percentage with the draw we've got would be a slight improvement. I don't think we'll make finals this year though.
Hawks - win
Giants - loss
Carlton - win
Swans - win
WB - loss
Crows - loss (60 points +)
Kangaroos - loss
Suns - win
Freo - win
Tigers - win
Bombers - win
Swans - loss
Power - loss
Eagles - win
Demons - win
Kangaroos - win
Tigers - loss

12 ins 10 losses

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend

samuraisaint wrote:We've won 2 games already - in 2000 we only won 2 games all year.
Looking at the fixture objectively, I can't see us winning any less than 12 games this year. I also can't see us winning 13 games either. 12 wins and a healthy percentage with the draw we've got would be a slight improvement. I don't think we'll make finals this year though.
Hawks - win
Giants - loss
Carlton - win
Swans - win
WB - loss
Kangaroos - loss
Suns - win
Freo - win
Tigers - win
Bombers - win
Swans - loss
Power - loss
Eagles - win
Demons - win
Kangaroos - win
Tigers - loss

12 ins 10 losses
Norf n Tiges will beat us twice each.
Eagles n Suns will beat us.
Reason? Our forwards are rubbish, Skunk is gone, Bwoose can't mark and Paddy will play poorly when he gets in.
Dockers will win in Perth, frees will again be the issue

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

WellardSaint wrote:
samuraisaint wrote:We've won 2 games already - in 2000 we only won 2 games all year.
Hawks - win
Giants - loss
Carlton - win
Swans - win
WB - loss
Kangaroos - loss
Suns - win
Freo - win
Tigers - win
Bombers - win
Swans - loss
Power - loss
Eagles - win
Demons - win
Kangaroos - win
Tigers - loss

12 ins 10 losses
Norf n Tiges will beat us twice each.
Eagles n Suns will beat us.
Reason? Our forwards are rubbish, Skunk is gone, Bwoose can't mark and Paddy will play poorly when he gets in.
Dockers will win in Perth, frees will again be the issue
Where has Skunk gone?
Paddy will be ok.

Posting 20 years of holey crap!