Match thread v cats

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

resaintlee
Club Player

Re: Match thread v cats

If the umpiring hadn't squashed all hope of a win in the last quarter I'm sure it would have been a much closer game.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

SydneySainter wrote:Geelong had 24 frees out our 22. I think we have bigger problems than the umpiring.
They were 9-3 when we had control and not one goal to us from a free yet plenty to them.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
SuperSaint
Club Player

Tom_Sainter wrote:Midfield class was the difference today, Selwood and co killed us in the second half. Gresham struggled today but such a disappointing game from Billings after last week, can't remember how many times he turned it over. Looking for a big response from him next week
You are going to keep looking for a while. The turn overs were bad enough but his insipid attacks on the ball are what is even more concerning. A few times also he was hanballed in the clear by a teammate from a hard contest only to look backwards to try to handball off and ruining a potential forward thrust. He shows no heart and I am yet to see him win a genuine contest.

Minchington played so much better and showed more effort in one quarter today than what Billings has shown in 5 games.

takeaway
Club Player

Very good effort - showed we can beat anyone.

Got some bad decisions, Longer, Riewoldt injured, Steven etc ran out of legs, Gresham had a poor game, coaches should have tried harder to clamp down Selwood, Dangerfield, bit of experience won the game. Scoreboard flatters Geelong.

Developing sides main problem is playing 4 quarters. Good learning experience, we will be there in 2018-20 as planned.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Guthrie went to Billings which showed what Geelong thinks of his importance.

saintbob
SS Life Member

We really got exposed thru the middle in the last quarter Longer was out on his feet and their mids craved us up.

I wish Richo had've thrown Minch, Monty or even Long into the middle to get him into the game.

It was good effort, beaten by a better outfit on the day.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

We had no run

Our mids stopped running... and are slow anyway

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

I don't rate Geelong..

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Vazelos
Club Player

I saw enough today to know we are heading in the right direction. It was a high level game and yet again the umpires did us no favours. Cats to me look like a top 4 side, I will be surprised if this team doesn't play at the very least in a preliminary final injuries permitting.
The last part our list that we have not built completely, our mid field, showed what's lacking against elite teams.
When you have your No 1 draft pick who is in his 3rd season in the magoos it sets you back short term. If that pick had gone to a mid fielder hitting 50 odd games by now and/if we nailed our no 3 draft pick (Billings) who is in his 4 th season we would have the class we lack.
That will come I hope next year. We have two first round draft picks and heaps of room in the salary cap to be the big players at the end of 2017 and let's be honest that has been the plan from the start of the rebuild.
Defence is strong, Forward line is good and we hope to be better if/when Mc Cartin gets going.
Minchington nailed his spot for next week, Gresham played his poorest game and Long is learning the ropes in the big league.
We all want it now but we saw today we have a gap to get to the next level and it's in the mid field where that issue is.
Work in Progress but heading in the right direction.

#gosaintas
Club Player

shrodes wrote:
skeptic wrote:Geeez looking at the stats...
11 disposals to Dunstan... BM will go off about this later
Thing is he had a pretty good game, did the job on Danger for a chunk of the game and set up and kicked goals. I keep saying this but possies aren't everything.

Dunstan is a liability at the moment. 12 possies for a mid. 12 last week. Craps himself in front of goal. He would be the worst mid in the comp.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Yep

Possies aren't everything... well if you haven't got the ball someone else had... as a mid these days

Sub 20 is deplorable

12 is diabolical

Selwood, Danger, Duncan all had 12 or more in one quarter!!!

Possies aren't everything
Well the BOG had 43!!!!

PremiershipSaint
Club Player

SaintPav wrote:I don't rate Geelong..
They're a 5-8 side. Sticking with them for 3 quarters is nothing to get excited about.

Vazelos
Club Player

He scored a great goal but I have been a critic of Dunstan for the fact several in here pump his tyres up big time.
That's not touching the pill enough. Next year it's going to be interesting as room in that side will become tougher as we go for our elite mids.

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

#gosaintas wrote:
shrodes wrote:
Thing is he had a pretty good game, did the job on Danger for a chunk of the game and set up and kicked goals. I keep saying this but possies aren't everything.

Dunstan is a liability at the moment. 12 possies for a mid. 12 last week. Craps himself in front of goal. He would be the worst mid in the comp.
kicked a great clutch goal. kept danger quiet most of the game - that was his prime job, not to get the pill. when he got it he knew what to do with it. clear head on him, unlike many others. 1 clanger, 100% de. that hold off on the handball in the last showed, whilst others would have given up the ball. in the end danger got away from him, so he doesn't get a pass mark from me, but was a lot better than some on here that just look at the stats and not the game, realise.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote:I don't rate Geelong..
This. Beaten no one. Let off the hook tonight. Won't challeng. They're s***.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
dsav
Club Player

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Not that he played on Danger, but

Luke
4K 8hb 2t 1g
Danger
12k 19hb 4t 2g

I'd call that a hiding

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

desertsaint wrote:
#gosaintas wrote:
shrodes wrote:

kicked a great clutch goal. kept danger quiet most of the game - that was his prime job, not to get the pill. when he got it he knew what to do with it. clear head on him, unlike many others. 1 clanger, 100% de. that hold off on the handball in the last showed, whilst others would have given up the ball. in the end danger got away from him, so he doesn't get a pass mark from me, but was a lot better than some on here that just look at the stats and not the game, realise.
+1

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Not that he played on Danger, but

Luke
4K 8hb 2t 1g
Danger
12k 19hb 4t 2g

I'd call that a hiding
Danger had very little influence until the last.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Stats are never good, if they don't tell the story you want?! His numbers tell an obvious story...

Like Paddy and Hickey who were staunchly defended... I'll bet you he is dropped for Stevens.

AR doesn't read this forum, but like a few on here he has critical eyes... and even his pet Luke will finally go back to the VFL

Just imagine if Lonie only got 11 and 12 in successive weeks!!! We'd be allowed to unleash a Heath Shawism on him... and Lonies a small forward

Dunstan is not a good enough runner to be an AFL mid... he makes Armo look quick

repta
Club Player

Great effort today. Shame the team caught the early train back to Sandy.
Brown great pick up. Awesome to see Hawkins no influence (shame 2 goals in junk time)
Danger influence low in first half.
We need another quality mid.
Roo quiet ... worst game he has played in ages.

Phrase of the day... free kick Selwood

#gosaintas
Club Player

desertsaint wrote:
#gosaintas wrote:
shrodes wrote:

You say he was on Danger. I was there and he stood near Danger sometimes but wasn't on him at all. Was not a tag. Was a poor performer and is the worst mid in the comp at the moment.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote:
BigMart wrote:Not that he played on Danger, but

Luke
4K 8hb 2t 1g
Danger
12k 19hb 4t 2g

I'd call that a hiding
Danger had very little influence until the last.
That's like saying Winx lost half her races because she didn't show her class until the last 600m.

I'd rather be in front at the finishing line. Danger and Selwood showed their class when the game was there to be won.

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote:Guthrie went to Billings which showed what Geelong thinks of his importance.
Indeed. I know an assistant coach at NM who reckons JB is soft and of no concern to them in their planning. Reckons he is a bust who is nothing more than a GOP. I hope he's wrong, but it's always interesting to hear what the opposition thinks. FWIW, they Fear Steven, Roo, Ross, Carlisle, Newnes and Membrey at NM. Interesting, don't you think?

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!