Saint Nick 2018!!!!!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

stonecold
SS Life Member

Saint Nick 2018!!!!!

In talks with Club to play on next year.....Apparently?????

'Cause StoneCold Said So'!!!!!

We will be great again once Billy is back playing!!!!!

The 'Last Post', it's the gift that keeps giving 📯📯📯📯📯
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Re: Saint Nick 2018!!!!!

Roo has been stating publicly for a while that he wants to play on in 2018.

ie When he injured his knee recently he stated that initially that thoughts of his career being over and not being able to play on in 2018 as intended flashed through his mind.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
St Chris
SS Hall of Fame

It was mentioned during the commentary last week - that talks had begun.

I imagine the "talks" wouldn't take long.....

Ameet: Hey Nick, wanna play next year?
Nick: Yep.
Ameet: Same as this year then?
Ameet: All done, thanks for stopping by. Same time next year?

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Am I completely off the mark by saying that he is playing just as well as he ever was?

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
stonecold
SS Life Member

SaintPav wrote:Am I completely off the mark by saying that he is playing just as well as he ever was?

I think that's a pretty comment, maybe, not quite at as good as his best years, but, Geez, not far away!!!!!

'Cause StoneCold Said So'!!!!!

We will be great again once Billy is back playing!!!!!

The 'Last Post', it's the gift that keeps giving 📯📯📯📯📯
St Chris
SS Hall of Fame

He's playing an easier position now - on the wing, drifting forward with a mismatch.

Much easier than being double or triple teamed inside 50.

He was a warrior to play KPF for so long, now he's using the skills he has (footy smarts, his endurance etc) to excel further up the ground.

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote:Am I completely off the mark by saying that he is playing just as well as he ever was?
Bullseye. I look forward to him winning the Norm Smith in 2018. He'll also be the first father in the AFL to play a senior game with his son. It's only 16 years away. By that time he'll probably be playing as a spare man across half back, but will still be racking up the marks and kicks. Btw, does anyone know if he's broken Dempsey's all time record for marks yet?

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
st.byron
Saintsational Legend

All being well will put him in 350+ games territory.

Only 15 players in the history of the game have reached that mark. Bernie Quinlan the only other KP forward.

Proph3t of egan
Club Player

White Winmar wrote:
Bullseye. I look forward to him winning the Norm Smith in 2018. He'll also be the first father in the AFL to play a senior game with his son. It's only 16 years away. By that time he'll probably be playing as a spare man across half back, but will still be racking up the marks and kicks. Btw, does anyone know if he's broken Dempsey's all time record for marks yet?
57 more marks, so in about 5-6 games

Fortius quo Fidelius means Strength through Loyalty. . . I think
mr six o'clock
Saintsational Legend

Proph3t of egan wrote:
White Winmar wrote:
57 more marks, so in about 5-6 games
Yes , fingers crossed !
Also needs just 10 more contested marks to be the first person to break 1000 .
And 3 more goals to reach the 700 club .
Hopefully he can get them against the Cats on Sunday

In red white and black from 73
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

He should play on until 2020 IMO. Long enough to win a flag.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
chook23
Saintsational Legend

Only 56 marks behind record holder Gary Dempsey....

Fantastic effort!!!

saint4life
Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

I would assume Joey would be negotiating whether he'll be playing on next year as well.

For Rooey to surpass both Dempsey's record for most career marks and then reach the 350 game milestone would be quite a remarkable feat. We're lucky to witness such an incredible athlete play for St.Kilda all this time.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

I don't think the Roo dog should play on next year for the good of himself and the good of the club. Reasons:

- Will go out on top as a champ still playing great footy
- We have so many great young forwards to get games into and you can incl Battle and Marshall in that. They need a spot on the field to play
- He inhibits other young forwards as he cover so much ground. Similar problem Swans have with Buddy.
- Will force others to step up into a leadership role on and off the field
- I've always thought Roo was almost too determined to win games off his own boot. Maybe GT got that into him at a young age as GT seemed obsessed with Rooey. Someone should have said to him that its about him playing his defined role for the bigger picture of the team. By taking up so much space on the field, he is stopping other parts of the team working and become too one-dimensional
- Richo will ALWAYS be tempted to throw Rooey forward to win games - without Rooey Richo is forced to back youth and development them
- We already have a lot of talls - Hickey, Brown, Carlisle, Bruce, Paddy, MEmbers is semi-tall. What if we want to get Marshall or Battle or Pierece or Longer in? With Rooey he makes that hard as become are too tall and not agile enough to put the necessary pressure on
- Whilst Roo is a great target and marking unit playing that wing role, he lacks the speed and agility you want from wingers. He is possibly stopping Dmac or White or Long playing that role and giving us great drive and brilliant kicking into the forward 50.
- Rooeys marking and competing in the air is great, but his kicking and pressure can be ordinary. We need more good kicking and agility on the ground. We can look too slow with Rooey in the midfield.

remboy
SS Hall of Fame

He's still our best player so he should play on if he wants to. Unless anyone thinks we shoukd follow the Hawks example and trade him to another side for pick 70.

Opinions are like arseholes, everybody's got one.
Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

remboy wrote:He's still our best player so he should play on if he wants to. Unless anyone thinks we shoukd follow the Hawks example and trade him to another side for pick 70.
The good of the club ALWAYS has to come first. Clubs have to make hard decisions about when its time to tap great players on the shoulder. Roo isn't excused from that. WE don't exactly have a stocked trophy cabinet. Time to be ruthless to develop the best team we can for the future for a proper tilt at a flag.I think Rooey inhibits development of other players. Time to move into a post-Rooey era - will be terrifying not to have him there to bail our ass out but also exciting to see who will step up.

remboy
SS Hall of Fame

Bluthy wrote:
remboy wrote:He's still our best player so he should play on if he wants to. Unless anyone thinks we shoukd follow the Hawks example and trade him to another side for pick 70.
The good of the club ALWAYS has to come first. Clubs have to make hard decisions about when its time to tap great players on the shoulder. Roo isn't excused from that. WE don't exactly have a stocked trophy cabinet. Time to be ruthless to develop the best team we can for the future for a proper tilt at a flag.I think Rooey inhibits development of other players. Time to move into a post-Rooey era - will be terrifying not to have him there to bail our ass out but also exciting to see who will step up.
I don't disagree with that and if he was getting in the way of a younger player I'm sure he'll step aside. Personally, I think there's others who could go before him and he's still a valuable player. As you said though, maybe it would give give Richo the chance to point the finger at a few others and say 'it's your turn to put in'.
I would imagine that if Roo wants to go on and we say no he will have 17 clubs ringing his manager and I could not stand the tjpught of him playing anywhere else (not that I think he would).

Opinions are like arseholes, everybody's got one.
citywest

For the good of the team I hope he retires at the end of this year. This is his 17th year and his body is finished. But apart from that, the sooner St Kilda get used to playing without him the sooner we will the premiership. I know a lot of people are again going to call me a troll and ban the f***wit but I stick by what I am saying.

Vazelos
Club Player

You want to retire Nick Riewoldt on what premise?
His form? It's elite still.
His age? If we are in the premiership window soon and his form is elite why would you rid yourself of an elite player?
We let another Tasmanian go at the end of 1970 that cost us a flag.
His performances thus far have been outstanding so for mine he plays on in 2018.

citywest

Vazelos wrote:You want to retire Nick Riewoldt on what premise?
His form? It's elite still.
His age? If we are in the premiership window soon and his form is elite why would you rid yourself of an elite player?
We let another Tasmanian go at the end of 1970 that cost us a flag.
His performances thus far have been outstanding so for mine he plays on in 2018.
I wanted Harvey to retire a year earlier than he did. Lo and behold, as soon as he retired we played in 3 grand finals in a row. :idea:

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Absolute certainty to go on with current form

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

citywest wrote:For the good of the team I hope he retires at the end of this year. This is his 17th year and his body is finished.
Citywest, you do post some things that appear to bear no relation to facts. The above for example. His body is finished? Have you watched him this year? On what basis do you say his body is finished?

citywest

st.byron wrote:
citywest wrote:For the good of the team I hope he retires at the end of this year. This is his 17th year and his body is finished.
Citywest, you do post some things that appear to bear no relation to facts. The above for example. His body is finished? Have you watched him this year? On what basis do you say his body is finished?
Both of his knees are ticking time bombs Byron.
Why did you ignore the rest of my post?????
But apart from that, the sooner St Kilda get used to playing without him the sooner we will the premiership. I know a lot of people are again going to call me a troll and ban the f***wit but I stick by what I am saying.
and also.....
I wanted Harvey to retire a year earlier than he did. Lo and behold, as soon as he retired we played in 3 grand finals in a row.

ace
Saintsational Legend

Hawthorn traded out Sam Mitchell and Jordan Lewis to free up salary cap space for Mitchell mark 2 and O'Meara.
I hope Riewoldt and Montagna are both on absolute fortunes.
That would mean their retirements would create massive holes in our salary cap.
Holes that could be filled by importing multiple elite free agents.
Enough to not only replace Riewoldt and Montagna but also make a far greater contribution.
But we should do this more grace than Hawthorn - waiting until the players are ready to retire rather than trading them out.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
james rose
Club Player

citywest wrote: I wanted Harvey to retire a year earlier than he did. Lo and behold, as soon as he retired we played in 3 grand finals in a row.
[/quote]

Strange argument.

What if we said, we wanted Harvey to play on another year or two. Lo and behold if he had of we would have won 3 flags.