Mav Weller

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

loris
Saintsational Legend

Mav Weller

One posters comment I'd like to read on my following opinion on Mav Weller's form this year is Big Mart.

I think Weller has bulked up too much this year and his endurance and speed (initial power in his movement) is suffering.

I can recall an interview Mav did last season ( or it may have been early pre-season) on Saints.com where he stated that he is challenged by doing weights, loves them. However, he realised he can't get too gung ho with weights, his body tends to bulk up easily and that can be detrimental to his enduranc. I think the interview said the Saints sports conditioning team were attempting to work a balance for him.

Well IMHO, either the sports conditioning team has got it wrong or Mav has followed his passion and has overdone the weights in the pre season. He is way too bulked up and it's detrimental to his role this year.

Maybe Hamill as his forward coach might not be the best advisor for him also. Hamill may have bought a good defensive bent to our forwards. I think Mav is playing the similar role Hammil did on the forward lines......... be a bowling ball first, hopefully the mayhem you cause to the opposition defenders, can have them second guessing, then you can have the skills to go on the offensive. IMO Hamill had more skills than Mav to operate on that premis, Mav wants to be the enforcer on the forward line.

I've noticed a number of times when Mav has been in a position to possibly mark cleanly, he's too intent on where the opposition players are coming from, so he's more committed to having body on body connection with them, at times he spreads his legs out to ward them off. So with such a focus on the player and not the drop of the ball he muffs up the mark.

I feel his bulked up body, might help when tackling, as opponents sure feel they have bee tackled when Mav does connect.but he's robbed himself of any explosive power or endurance to chase.

I'd like your opinion Big Mart.......... because you were the only poster who agreed with me when I initially said I felt that Freeman's problem with his hammies were possibly because he looked like a young kid who had bulked up too early in his career, before his growing body & legs were able to cope with such upper body development. I think I might have been on the money there, as I notice this year Freeman is a much leaner version of the lad we got from Collingwood. He looked like the Incredible Hulk when he first arrived at the Saints.

Big Mart, is always spot on re players and their body conditioning, I guess that's his professional eye as a former PE teacher........ my only skill is as a perver on male bodies!!!!!!!!

PS. I had a good perve on Paddy at the Saints v Eagles match, yes he is a leaner version of Paddy last season in his torso & thereis a bit of muscle definition in his arms - but there is absolutely no muscle definition in his legs at all. Tree trunks, needs to build up the v muscles above the knees or he could come down with knee problems IMHO.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Re: Mav Weller

Poor Mav. Who would have thought all that strength would go to waste. Best you go on a diet my friend.

Posting 20 years of holey crap!