Shades of RL

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Shades of RL

Yesterday's game reminded me of some of those times from back in the Ross Lyon era. Dogged defending, slow, stonewalling, grinding and unattractive footy and then winning it in fugly fashion.

Given the seemingly diminished level of skills displayed so far this year, is there a good chance we'll be seeing more of that?

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

Re: Shades of RL

Robbo got big numbers, but a lot of them were he and Brown and others simply kicking sideways and backwards.
The ball movement seemed accurate at times, but yes it was just like a solid grind that RL was so in love with.
Agree with ya there. Manic mad scrambling and just stuff around, retaining possession.

In the last qtr, due to fatigue or what, the Filth got a lovely run on, which the Cats will be looking at.
If we can't control the game and stifle a comeback, what hope do they have in Adel against a skilled team of quick movers that will take anybody apart when they're on.
Pressure smesher, if Crows win clearances and surgically pick through us, it's going to be a repeat of 2016 in Crowland.

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
saintbob
SS Life Member

Collingwood have got virtually the same game plan, that's why it was such an ugly game to watch.

Most teams have, but the difference is their better skill level which tends to open the game up a bit more

Joe Bloggs
Club Player

Sainternist wrote:Yesterday's game reminded me of some of those times from back in the Ross Lyon era. Dogged defending, slow, stonewalling, grinding and unattractive footy and then winning it in fugly fashion.

Given the seemingly diminished level of skills displayed so far this year, is there a good chance we'll be seeing more of that?
Was thinking the same thing. Very RL

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

Is Richo RL 2.0, or Bevo 2.0?

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

I was at the game, then watched it on TV last night. That was a game played under finals like pressure, hence some of the wayward skills (I exclude kicking for goal). That's why the compusure of Billings, Acres and sometimes Gresham, was something to get excited about.

We are developing the best back six in the competition, that's something to be happy about. Collingwood's back six was also superb yesterday, we just had better forwards. We also corrected our vunerability to conceding multiple goals at times we lose the midfield battles. We lost clearances yet had far more inside 50's than our opponents. We were patient and calm when they blocked the corridor.
Our forward entries are high, forward line is functioning well, just not finishing.

He's not Bevo 2.0 or RL 2.0, he's Richo. He has actually utterly outcoached Bevo on a few occasions. When do we get Bevo's Bulldogs? About Rd 8? I'm looking forward to that one.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

ust my opinion from being there but,

Collingwood played 7 defenders & 5 forwards from the first bounce. They kept that formation all game.
Roberton was our 'spare' in defence and hence his massive number of disposals. Interestingly the 2 coaching panels gave Seb Ross 9 votes for the game and Roberton 5 votes so they also apparently recognized he had no opponent for much of the game.

Our coaching panel elected not to 'man up' the extra Collingwood defender preferring to go with attacking from our back half, which is what happened with the discrepancy towards Collingwood in the clearances.
After midway through the 2nd qtr our better disposal from the back half allowed us to get on top of them and it was only our poor kicking at goal in the third which allowed them to think they still had a chance. Had we kicked straight the game would have been well and truly over by 3/4 time.