Dave Armo

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Re: Dave Armo

Postby Moods » Mon 17 Apr 2017 1:13pm

At his best he's easily in our best 22, however he is also easily replaceable with the plethera of similar type mids we have at our disposal right now. Without being unkind, his injury is one of the simplest covered in our team and we shouldn't miss a beat.
Moods
SS Life Member
 
Posts: 3398
Joined: Fri 05 Jun 2009 3:05pm

Re: Dave Armo

Postby samoht » Mon 17 Apr 2017 2:29pm

Armo this year is averaging 12 less disposables per game compared to 2015 (16 compared to 28).
That's almost 50% down!
He's probably spending less time in the guts/sharing the workload .. which might partly explain this?
But, if he was 100%, he'd be in the guts, wouldn't he?

All I know is, we'd be a whole better team with him at 100%.
Probably finish 3 or 4 spots higher.

If it'll help ..
Maybe give him a rest - 3 or 4 games in a row if need be - and let Stevens and Steele take over duties?
A fit Stevens would give us the 16 possessions we're getting out of Armo, I would think.
Have you read my latest ebook, The Fugitive Soldier?
http://www.amazon.com/The-Fugitive-Sold ... ve+Soldier
.. you can sample the first 2 chapters for free, by clicking on the above link.
User avatar
samoht
SS Life Member
 
Posts: 3844
Joined: Sun 14 Mar 2004 10:45am
Location: Victoria

Re: Dave Armo

Postby Joe Bloggs » Mon 17 Apr 2017 2:48pm

saynta wrote:
Joe Bloggs wrote:Not in the best 22 at this stage.



Rubbish. That is only your opinion, not fact.[/quot

Of course it is ...der. good footballer but has no pace anymore.
Joe Bloggs
Club Player
 
Posts: 278
Joined: Sat 13 Dec 2014 3:06pm

Re: Dave Armo

Postby Con Gorozidis » Mon 17 Apr 2017 8:42pm

Armo may well be cooked.
Not sure exactly what his medical issues are but I think he is cooked.
Maybe the club already knows this which is why we were so keen on Steele.
User avatar
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend
 
Posts: 21547
Joined: Thu 19 Jun 2008 4:04pm

Re: Dave Armo

Postby SemperFidelis » Mon 17 Apr 2017 10:44pm

I'm not sure he's cooked. But I'd like him to be 100% right to take the field.

He did some tremendous things at 80%. But @ 100% he does not get run down in a tackle (even if his mate misses the shepherd).

Make sure he's right.
Always loyal
SemperFidelis
SS Life Member
 
Posts: 2954
Joined: Fri 16 Sep 2011 2:41pm

Re: Dave Armo

Postby saint-stu » Tue 18 Apr 2017 5:04pm

Bloody hell we're quick to write off youngsters as dud selections and quick to write of veterans as cooked.
Last edited by saint-stu on Wed 19 Apr 2017 2:46pm, edited 1 time in total.
1ac46a38
saint-stu
Club Player
 
Posts: 869
Joined: Thu 22 Nov 2007 8:27pm

Re: Dave Armo

Postby White Winmar » Tue 18 Apr 2017 5:26pm

After such optimism preseason, I was looking forward to an injury free Armo lifting our midfield. He looks to be struggling physically. If he's 100% he's a very important player. Looking at him on the weekend, he looks about 75% at best. He's such a warrior, he'd be up for anything, but a couple of weeks off entirely might not be the worst idea. Our sports science team has a fine track record in managing the players' injuries. In them I trust. We'll need Armo come August and September, when big, strong bodies thrive.
I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
User avatar
White Winmar
Saintsational Legend
 
Posts: 4830
Joined: Tue 02 Jun 2009 10:02pm

Re: Dave Armo

Postby Griggsy » Tue 18 Apr 2017 5:58pm

saint-stu wrote:Bloody hell we're quick to write off youngsters as dud selections and quick to write of veterans as cooked.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Cooked may be excessive but he doesnt look 100%. Last year he wasnt 100% and played 22 games, this year we actually have depth by adding Steele and Stevens. He needs to come out. How can anyone expect a guy to get to 100% if hes getting hammered into the turf week in week out.
User avatar
Griggsy
SS Life Member
 
Posts: 2524
Joined: Mon 21 Jul 2008 1:41am
Location: WA

Re: Dave Armo

Postby skeptic » Wed 19 Apr 2017 7:16am

Griggsy wrote:
saint-stu wrote:Bloody hell we're quick to write off youngsters as dud selections and quick to write of veterans as cooked.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Cooked may be excessive but he doesnt look 100%. Last year he wasnt 100% and played 22 games, this year we actually have depth by adding Steele and Stevens. He needs to come out. How can anyone expect a guy to get to 100% if hes getting hammered into the turf week in week out.


The problem is it's round 5 and he's just back from an offseason
User avatar
skeptic
Saintsational Legend
 
Posts: 8170
Joined: Wed 10 Mar 2004 7:10pm

Re: Dave Armo

Postby saintspremiers » Wed 19 Apr 2017 6:47pm

elizabethr wrote:They all walk tall with Armo in the game. Will do it all again for this week !!


You're not the slight bit biased are you Aunty Armo?!
i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend
 
Posts: 22892
Joined: Tue 01 Feb 2005 4:25pm
Location: Trump Tower

Re: Dave Armo

Postby elizabethr » Wed 19 Apr 2017 9:07pm

saintspremiers wrote:
elizabethr wrote:They all walk tall with Armo in the game. Will do it all again for this week !!


You're not the slight bit biased are you Aunty Armo?!

Lawn Bowls have "bias"
nothing to say
elizabethr
Club Player
 
Posts: 649
Joined: Tue 04 Oct 2011 10:58pm
Location: qld

Re: Dave Armo

Postby WellardSaint » Wed 19 Apr 2017 10:22pm

elizabethr wrote:
saintspremiers wrote:
elizabethr wrote:They all walk tall with Armo in the game. Will do it all again for this week !!


You're not the slight bit biased are you Aunty Armo?!

Lawn Bowls have "bias"

As do the umpires.
Umpires and lawn bowls have an identical number of brain cells, by the way
***free White Winmar
Parole date 30 June
***WW is in the same league as the Dalai Lama, Nelson Mandela, Benino Acquino,
as well as Aung San Suu Kyi
(a Burmese politician lady who was held under house arrest by the ruling military junta in Burma/Myanmar)...

**making Saintsational Great Again***
WellardSaint
SS Life Member
 
Posts: 3054
Joined: Sat 26 May 2012 11:25am
Location: Red Dwarf- The Jupiter Mining Corp ship

Re: Dave Armo

Postby White Winmar » Wed 19 Apr 2017 10:29pm

WellardSaint wrote:
elizabethr wrote:
saintspremiers wrote:
elizabethr wrote:They all walk tall with Armo in the game. Will do it all again for this week !!


You're not the slight bit biased are you Aunty Armo?!

Lawn Bowls have "bias"

As do the umpires.
Umpires and lawn bowls have an identical number of brain cells, by the way

And lawn bowls have more personality! :D
I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
User avatar
White Winmar
Saintsational Legend
 
Posts: 4830
Joined: Tue 02 Jun 2009 10:02pm

Re: Dave Armo

Postby mickey » Wed 19 Apr 2017 10:31pm

I was by the race, he limped in at half time & looked in pain whilst talking to a medico. At the start of the third he came on 2 minutes after the rest of the team, me thinks his groin problem has returned. Would be surprised if he plays this week given Jack's return.
mickey
 
Posts: 19
Joined: Fri 15 Mar 2013 8:58am

Re: Dave Armo

Postby kalsaint » Thu 20 Apr 2017 3:22am

Bluthy wrote:Brave effort and great physicality around the ball, but shouldn't have played if wasn't completely right. What happened to this rotation idea? I guess the future doesn't matter as much as the present. What if Richo is ending Armo's career early by playing him injured? Richo played the hell out of Dunny too and he needed a shoulder reconstruction at his early age.

#usetheswholesquad


Resembles Luke Balls later days at the Saints. Groins, speed loss, struggling to get best form due to injury setbacks. Best idea is to put him on a tagging role and use Ross as the inside man for while , unless the injury is debilitating.
Midfield clearances and clear winners are needed to make an effective forward line.

You need to protect the ball handler to increase posession efficiency
kalsaint
Club Player
 
Posts: 1688
Joined: Sat 24 Apr 2004 10:24pm
Location: Kalgoorlie WA

Re: Dave Armo

Postby Saint wagga » Fri 21 Apr 2017 12:37pm

Silver lining - Armo has only produced 1 season (2015) where he was an A grade midfielder...he's been very solid at other times, and done some great inside work, but he's no gun. The common thread has been our midfield is too slow and one dimensional. Well now Armo is likely out for months if not the season, that will give someone 20 games to stake a claim to become part of our midfield...guys like Acres and billings, koby Stevens, minchington, Gresham etc...to pick up the load and potentially be better than Armo's output and take our midfield to the next level.
Saint wagga
Club Player
 
Posts: 920
Joined: Sat 27 Apr 2013 7:44pm

Re: Dave Armo

Postby saynta » Fri 21 Apr 2017 12:40pm

saint-stu wrote:Bloody hell we're quick to write off youngsters as dud selections and quick to write of veterans as cooked.



Yep. Too true and so annoyingly sad.
saynta
Saintsational Legend
 
Posts: 4385
Joined: Wed 10 Mar 2004 3:53pm

Re: Dave Armo

Postby ace » Fri 21 Apr 2017 12:57pm

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/t ... 2b8b18ab29

Don't know why the soreness, medical scans next week, may need surgery !
Out for an extended period.
The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
User avatar
ace
Saintsational Legend
 
Posts: 6305
Joined: Sun 16 Dec 2007 3:28pm
Location: St Kilda

Re: Dave Armo

Postby Saint wagga » Fri 21 Apr 2017 1:01pm

Our Coach on Armo's injury in response to him being possibily brought back too soon... "“It was one of those injuries where it wasn’t going to get any worse, but hopefully you can pull up better. That wasn’t the case. He’s a sore boy, so he’ll need to have a spell.”...

Is it just me or does that make sweet F*** all sense?? It wasn't going to get any worse?!?!? isn't that exactly what happened!! He's pulled up so much worse that he's now looking at probably a couple of months on the sideline with or without surgery...could even be season ending!! That's why you don' get the coach to try and talk sports medicine. Either defer to the club medico or say nothing, otherwise you run the risk of looking and sounding very dumb!
Saint wagga
Club Player
 
Posts: 920
Joined: Sat 27 Apr 2013 7:44pm

Re: Dave Armo

Postby saynta » Fri 21 Apr 2017 1:21pm

Saint wagga wrote:Our Coach on Armo's injury in response to him being possibily brought back too soon... "“It was one of those injuries where it wasn’t going to get any worse, but hopefully you can pull up better. That wasn’t the case. He’s a sore boy, so he’ll need to have a spell.”...

Is it just me or does that make sweet F*** all sense?? It wasn't going to get any worse?!?!? isn't that exactly what happened!! He's pulled up so much worse that he's now looking at probably a couple of months on the sideline with or without surgery...could even be season ending!! That's why you don' get the coach to try and talk sports medicine. Either defer to the club medico or say nothing, otherwise you run the risk of looking and sounding very dumb!



Good post.

I agree with your comments.

Armo looked to me like he was playing injured.

Still managed 17 possessions last week

His critics should hang their heads in shame.
saynta
Saintsational Legend
 
Posts: 4385
Joined: Wed 10 Mar 2004 3:53pm

Re: Dave Armo

Postby Con Gorozidis » Fri 21 Apr 2017 1:37pm

I guess this is both good and bad news.
Bad news that he is injured and sidelined.
Good news that it explains why his form has been so down. A sore groin is a nightmare for playing footy so he has probably only been going at 40% capacity.
User avatar
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend
 
Posts: 21547
Joined: Thu 19 Jun 2008 4:04pm

Re: Dave Armo

Postby SuperDuper » Fri 21 Apr 2017 1:40pm

saynta wrote:
Saint wagga wrote:Our Coach on Armo's injury in response to him being possibily brought back too soon... "“It was one of those injuries where it wasn’t going to get any worse, but hopefully you can pull up better. That wasn’t the case. He’s a sore boy, so he’ll need to have a spell.”...

Is it just me or does that make sweet F*** all sense?? It wasn't going to get any worse?!?!? isn't that exactly what happened!! He's pulled up so much worse that he's now looking at probably a couple of months on the sideline with or without surgery...could even be season ending!! That's why you don' get the coach to try and talk sports medicine. Either defer to the club medico or say nothing, otherwise you run the risk of looking and sounding very dumb!



Good post.

I agree with your comments.

Armo looked to me like he was playing injured.

Still managed 17 possessions last week

His critics should hang their heads in shame.


Good player but needs to be fit ...
Getting his body right is only the first step... he then needs to re-do a mini pre-season before returning

A half fit Armo who has to modify his training to get up each weak is barely best 22 whilst a fully fit Armo can make a real impact.

Use our depth to take a long term approach with Armo... maybe returning after the bye or even later if necessary so he only returns in tip top condition.
SuperDuper
Club Player
 
Posts: 822
Joined: Sun 25 Mar 2012 9:45pm

Re: Dave Armo

Postby dragit » Fri 21 Apr 2017 3:26pm

Saint wagga wrote:Is it just me or does that make sweet F*** all sense?? …sounding very dumb!

You also have to wonder why after playing and finishing really sore on the 16th of April… he can't get a scan till at least the 26th ?

Surely if he potentially needs surgery we should be fast tracking the scan and surgery to give him the best chance of playing again sooner?

He could have already had that surgery if it's necessary…
User avatar
dragit
Saintsational Legend
 
Posts: 11602
Joined: Tue 29 Jun 2010 11:56am

Re: Dave Armo

Postby SemperFidelis » Fri 21 Apr 2017 4:25pm

dragit wrote:
Saint wagga wrote:Is it just me or does that make sweet F*** all sense?? …sounding very dumb!

You also have to wonder why after playing and finishing really sore on the 16th of April… he can't get a scan till at least the 26th ?

Surely if he potentially needs surgery we should be fast tracking the scan and surgery to give him the best chance of playing again sooner?

He could have already had that surgery if it's necessary…


They could shove him into Vic House today for scans, no probs - it's more likely a case of really bad inflammation/swelling; scans likely won't help until they can get a clear look.

If it's OP my recollection is it can take a while to clearly diagnose.

On any view, it's bad.
Always loyal
SemperFidelis
SS Life Member
 
Posts: 2954
Joined: Fri 16 Sep 2011 2:41pm

Re: Dave Armo

Postby dragit » Fri 21 Apr 2017 4:59pm

It's a shame, I'm not giving up on him just yet, he's only 28, not 35. Hopefully he can get his body right, because I think he's still capable of playing some very good football.
User avatar
dragit
Saintsational Legend
 
Posts: 11602
Joined: Tue 29 Jun 2010 11:56am

PreviousNext

Return to Saintsational Fan Forum (open to all ages)

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider], BazzaBreen66, Bing [Bot], borderbarry, Impatient Sainter, jonesy, meher baba, Sainter_Dad, saynta, Spud, St Loxton, supersaints and 22 guests