Who is out for Jack Steven next week

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Vazelos
Club Player

Who is out for Jack Steven next week

From all accounts our best mid fielder is back next week..
Who is out?
A mid fielder straight swap or a small forward?
Big decision we don't have too many injuries or suspensions!

Griggsy
SS Life Member

Re: Who is out for Jack Steven next week

I'd like long to stay but don't see it happening. I would also like to see Stevens but won't happen.

Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

Vazelos wrote:From all accounts our best mid fielder is back next week..
Who is out?
A mid fielder straight swap or a small forward?
Big decision we don't have too many injuries or suspensions!
I think Armitage may not be fully fit, I would suggest that would be the change.

saintbob
SS Life Member

LONIE

Vazelos
Club Player

I want Long to stay in... I actually see a Dunstan or an Armitage for mine out because I think Lonie may be safe for now.
There are a lot of Dunstan lovers in this forum but I'm not one of them although I thought he was good against the Lions.
I respect him as a footballer but the mix with Armitge concerns me long term. They are too similar. His kicking for goals today was terrible again.
Hard decision glad I'm not Richo.

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

Natural attrition, Armo may struggle.

No way Long goes out, the coach would be thrilled with his attack on the ball and man.

Those who knock Dunstan don't see the heavy work he does inside.
He is also the only player other than Steven that can win a clear Centre bounce clearance and break from the square.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
barwon saint
Club Player

Break from the square !! you mean crawl from the square.Took a mark 35 meters straight in front and passed to Billings who missed.Sandy please.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Joffa Burns wrote:
Those who knock Dunstan don't see the heavy work he does inside.
He is also the only player other than Steven that can win a clear Centre bounce clearance and break from the square.
Interesting POV - I know BM is a critic of his in the sense that he doesn't get enough possessions and looking at the stats alone (as I've been at work all day) - 5 kicks and 6 handballs doesn't seem to flattering though 7 tackles is fantastic.

Vazelos
Club Player

If Dunstan didnt do anything on the inside then I struggle to see what else he could provide. His goal kicking has been deplorable of late, yesterday again in 80/20 positions he missed (admittedly not the only one.) I wouldn't say he is exceptional with his hands either which is almost a must when you are slow. He is very strong and committed and has a tough mind to compete which will serve him well but some of the posts in the past like, " Future Captain' and 'most respected player within the group' has me scratching my head a little. He obviously is an outstanding person for those commenting on inside information but he is a work in progress and I have a gut feel will get better when we start putting elite players next to him. I personally dont like the Armitage/Dunstan combination, way too similar for mine and when they are both down we get smashed in the middle.

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

Vazelos wrote:If Dunstan didnt do anything on the inside then I struggle to see what else he could provide. His goal kicking has been deplorable of late, yesterday again in 80/20 positions he missed (admittedly not the only one.) I wouldn't say he is exceptional with his hands either which is almost a must when you are slow. He is very strong and committed and has a tough mind to compete which will serve him well but some of the posts in the past like, " Future Captain' and 'most respected player within the group' has me scratching my head a little. He obviously is an outstanding person for those commenting on inside information but he is a work in progress and I have a gut feel will get better when we start putting elite players next to him. I personally dont like the Armitage/Dunstan combination, way too similar for mine and when they are both down we get smashed in the middle.
He is an inside mid. Laid 7 tackles and negated pendlebury. whilst not his best game by a long shot, he did the job required. he has kicked a goal every game until yesterday - had one shot. yes it was poor, like most. billings is there as a goal kicking outsider - kicked 1-4. Both still did their jobs well enough to play next week.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Armo looks a bit cooked to me.

Jack Steven for Armo.
Meatball for Lonie.

Vazelos
Club Player

st.byron wrote:Armo looks a bit cooked to me.

Jack Steven for Armo.
Meatball for Lonie.
That looks very possible.
Meatball was outstanding for the zebras.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

11 touches for a mid is terrible... really, why can't we just say that?!

Why is he a protected species, his game was terrible, 11 touches by a really dangerous small forward is maybe acceptable

But an inside mid with average disposal... it's poor.

Let's actually call it how it is

And suggesting he does all the hard work... here's the thing. All inside mids are required to smack in at stoppage, that's the role of all of them.

Luke fumbled a, bread and butter centre clearance which cost a goal, he hardly got his hands on the footy, and tackled a bit because he was second to the ball....

I'll be blunt
Lonie, McCartin and Dunstan are just not fit enough! It's why they cannot get space, they can't work over opponents.