time to try Longer?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Re: time to try Longer?

Zac Smith is a monster and good in the HO department

But Longer was poor

repta
Club Player

Our ruck is going to be the difference for us this year.
- Hicky has been soundly beaten
- Longer horrible
- Bruce.... had there ever been a words ruckman? (I am not bashing him about his forward work... but i think it is suffering because of the ruck work).

Forget Fyfe... can't win out of the centre of you don't have an even change in the ruck.

Free kick Selwood

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Again, Bruce is a non issue in the Ruck

Different story of he was played as a #1
But as back up, it's barely even anything worth worrying about?

nw7
Club Player

Hickey is a much better option than Longer. The game Longer played is the best he can do, Hickey's bad game is much better than Longer and his upside is really good. Yes he gets beaten in tap outs but so does Longer, however Hickey helps our mids when the ball hits the ground, takes crucial marks around the ground and make the opposition think twice about leaving him alone and runs a lot more than Longer. Bad move by selectors in this game could have helped us get over the line.

Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

If we are going to play Longer to win the hit-outs then we're better off playing Holmes. He is the best tap ruckman we have. But, like Longer, does nothing around the ground.
I'd rather Hickey's around the ground presence and pressure in the contests and clearances any day.

supersaints
Club Player

BigMart wrote:Supersaints

Everyone has a philosophy on how they would like the team to be selected, how they play, what structure they use???

That's the point of a forum

It's not just a place where you can cowardly and anonymously abuse people because you won't be held accountable?? I know that it would a lot more difficult to do that in person, with a concern that the other person might take umbrage and take you to task?!

In your reresponse, you're just hurling personal abuse? Not sure why? Do you always just play the man, or do you have alternate footy debate?

If so, let's hear that?
Bigmart
I'll assume you don't know anything about Philosophy but assume you believe your thoughts and ideas may be life changing or contributing to mankind somehow. Seeing 95% of the population use the term so loosely I will leave it at that.
But when your next sentence states " Quadrants of which there are four" I found mind blowing.... who would of thought there were four quadrants? It's one of your best "look at me" threads yet
Intresingly your "New Philosophy " is in now in align with what I have been posting about the rucks have discussed or debated for twelve months , I saw no reason to say " I told you so" . Is that the comment you wanted?

I could make the assumption that you are possibly making a thinly veiled threat? That being said I would say the same face to face, I'm not a coward.
I have paid the penalty in that I've had my fiirst warning in ten years , I know it's a pain in the ( oops can't say that word apparently) for the mods

And the president said " I did not have sex with that woman"
And our former president said " Football is like golf" 

Go Sainters !!!!!
saintbob
SS Life Member

We've tried him, now send him back to Sandy

kalsaint
Club Player

repta wrote:Hickey ok
Bruce is a terrible ruckman.

Saints bigger issue is the main ruck back up.

Saying that Hicky is getting badly beaten on occasions

I have always believed that rucks weren't that important if the midfield was performing well and had big bodies being prepared to protect outside ball carriers after any clearance to get some efficiency there. I still believe in the latter but the third up rule has changed my mind a bit about rucks roles.

Part time rucks made form key position players is now wasteful (like Bruce). These guys get double teamed or blocked out from returning to a good forward position reducing their effectiveness in getting off their man in attacking the goal. They get caught out in pockets way too much.

The second ruck should get a go. This could help defence of forwards or back men by resting the second choice ruck in pockets. This may rattle some opposition teams if they provide scoreboard pressure.

Alternatively we need to look at other ways to improve effectiveness from clearances. We fare really badly in the midfield at times and teams like Eagles, Adelaide, Sydney and Cats do well against us generally in this area and get cetral forward entries to goal with good conversion (yes I know Eagles didn't happen this year but 2 years before realised 100 point deficits).

Midfield clearances and clear winners are needed to make an effective forward line.

You need to protect the ball handler to increase posession efficiency