time to try Longer?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

Re: time to try Longer?

bigcarl wrote:
Griggsy wrote:Mentally preparing for the long and longer puns today.
Ever hear the one about Viv Richards and Joel Garner when they stopped for a pee on a bridge?
Something about cold and deep????

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Just in case you're all not aware Rhys Stanley is an emergency. Be cool to see him play and get flogged by Billy

They have Zac Smith as ruck who is new to the club from GC and also Parfitt and Stewart who debuted this year, so a bit different to last year, plus cocky is playing which should be a good tussle with Long

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Sainter_Dad wrote:
bigcarl wrote:
Ever hear the one about Viv Richards and Joel Garner when they stopped for a pee on a bridge?
Something about cold and deep????
:D

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Supersaints

Everyone has a philosophy on how they would like the team to be selected, how they play, what structure they use???

That's the point of a forum

It's not just a place where you can cowardly and anonymously abuse people because you won't be held accountable?? I know that it would a lot more difficult to do that in person, with a concern that the other person might take umbrage and take you to task?!

In your reresponse, you're just hurling personal abuse? Not sure why? Do you always just play the man, or do you have alternate footy debate?

If so, let's hear that?

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

Could make it hard for the commentators:

"Lonie kicks it long...not to Long but just long. Ross picks it up and kicks even longer...actually to Long this time not Longer,. Long chasing it along the boundary where he taps it to Longer who goes long....not to Long but long..oh I give up."

shrodes
SS Life Member

Bluthy wrote:
Could make it hard for the commentators:

"Lonie kicks it long...not to Long but just long. Ross picks it up and kicks even longer...actually to Long this time not Longer,. Long chasing it along the boundary where he taps it to Longer who goes long....not to Long but long..oh I give up."
Lucky for the commentators Lonie was omitted.

I'm sure soon enough we'll hear "Longer to Long who gets it off to Stevens, handball to Steven, Jack to Jack to Jack to Jack to Jack... GOAL!"

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

Don't mind Longer's game so far.
Personal numbers probably not much different to Hickey's, but opposition has even less stats.

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

He's woeful.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

I wouldn't say he's woeful but in the worst kept secret ever he simply needs more presence outside of centre.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Time to try Hickey

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote:I wouldn't say he's woeful but in the worst kept secret ever he simply needs more presence outside of centre.

I'd say he's woeful.

Goose is king
SS Hall of Fame

Ok can we now put Longer in the "Break in case of emergency" cabinet?

shrodes
SS Life Member

Thought he did alright in the middle, but woeful when needing to drop into defence

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Marshall in With Hickey

Hemi Baxter
Club Player

In fairness, although he was clearly already tiring, he came to the bench just when we stopped with about 5 minutes to go in the third quarter with what looked like a knock to his hip. After that he was just walking and a few others were in the same boat.
He has improved a little ibut he still can't take a mark around the ground, he's very slow and his kicking is below average.

shrodes
SS Life Member

Hemi Baxter wrote:In fairness, although he was clearly already tiring, he came to the bench just when we stopped with about 5 minutes to go in the third quarter with what looked like a knock to his hip. After that he was just walking and a few others were in the same boat.
He has improved a little ibut he still can't take a mark around the ground, he's very slow and his kicking is below average.
In fairness he also only got that knock because of poor defensive effort. Standing still in Cats forward line while Blicavs leads into you is never going to go well.

Hemi Baxter
Club Player

Yup, I forgot to add in his lampost impersonations in the backline.

Griggsy
SS Life Member

Hemi Baxter wrote:Yup, I forgot to add in his lampost impersonations in the backline.
He knows he is allowed to jump right?

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

Thought Longer was ok but I was afraid he'd find the pace of AFL on a warm day too much after over a year out of it. Will be better for the run. As a 22yo is a good sign he can hold his own in the wrestling contests and used his big body pretty well in the middle to give our mids some protection and blocking. Obviously the growth for him is to increase his effectiveness around the ground. By the way Bruce had one hit out. Gunna be tough without a decent partner to help.

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

The time to try Longer is longer gone. He's not up to it and never will be. We tried to trade him at the end of last year, so clearly our staff thought the same thing. Let's get what we can and cut our losses. Marshall, Peirce and Holmes are the future. Second rounder for Billy? That's what was on offer. I think it will be a third rounder at best this year. Pick 8 in his year. A classic example of a dud big man who went way to early.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
Trev from the Bush
SS Life Member

Bluthy wrote:Thought Longer was ok but I was afraid he'd find the pace of AFL on a warm day too much after over a year out of it. Will be better for the run. As a 22yo is a good sign he can hold his own in the wrestling contests and used his big body pretty well in the middle to give our mids some protection and blocking. Obviously the growth for him is to increase his effectiveness around the ground. By the way Bruce had one hit out. Gunna be tough without a decent partner to help.

Agree Billy was good in the ruck contests. Unfortunately, football is not all about ruck contests and that is where we missed big Tom's mobility around the ground today.

Watching Billy (trying to) run is akin to watching a galloping brontosaurus. One with a foot abscess!

I, too, am pleased that Billy can ruck so well given his youthfulness. However, players usually slow down with age, not get quicker. Any currency we had with Billy as a trade option was lost to day by exposing him.

Saint supporter since '62
mightysainters
SS Hall of Fame

Simply awful.. He is far too slow and gives absolutely nothing around the ground..

Couldn't even beat Zac Smith in hitouts which is meant to be his strength..

He is a plodder

Wombat15
Club Player

First proper AFL game hes played since 2015. Suffered concussion related issues all of last year plus the shoulder reco. thought he was very good considering our midfield were simply outclassed in the end.

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

mightysainters wrote:Simply awful.. He is far too slow and gives absolutely nothing around the ground..

He is a plodder
I think you might be closer to the truth, MS. He's a mega dud. We make excuses for him because he's a "big man". Truth is he's no good, who couldn't catch a cold in the Antarctic. Just let Billy go. He ain't no hero. He's just a fool with his life.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
prwilkinson
SS Hall of Fame

White Winmar wrote:
mightysainters wrote:Simply awful.. He is far too slow and gives absolutely nothing around the ground..

He is a plodder
I think you might be closer to the truth, MS. He's a mega dud. We make excuses for him because he's a "big man". Truth is he's no good, who couldn't catch a cold in the Antarctic. Just let Billy go. He ain't no hero. He's just a fool with his life.
Reminds me of Cain Acland. Better to stick with Tommy Hickey.