Acres

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

snoopygirl
SS Life Member

Re: Acres

Lenny himself has said himself that Acres will be one of the best. I am a huge fan & look forward to seeing his improvement over the coming years. He has a great size physique & while he doesn't look fast he covers a lot of ground with his long loping running style.

Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend
Location: The terraces at Moorabbin, in the pouring rain.......

Johnny Member wrote:
Teflon wrote:
Johnny Member wrote:I must be watching a different Acres.

I hear the Benny Hill theme playing every time he gets it.
This has to bea p!sstake? you seriously don't see the ability just the young mistakes?
I've been leading the 'Acres will be a gun' cheersquad for the past 2 years. But.....

Firstly, the mistakes you refer to, are the exact same mistakes he's always made. To the point, where the chronic lack of polish becomes a concern.

Not making the distance from 40m. Turning it over consistently. Fumbles. Missed targets. Missed goals.

Now I've barracked for him and still do, because of the positives - size, 'x-factor', potential......but that's it. He doesn't get it heaps, and has never, ever been negated by the opposition. For obvious reasons. Reality is, and we all know it - the reason we barrack for him is blind faith because we have absolutely no one else standing out as being any good (Gresham aside).

We're clutching.

I'm definitely not giving up on him, but gee, if tonight's game is getting people excited, I think that says more about how desperate Saints fans are than anything else.
I don't think people are excited out of desperation, I think it's because of the fundamental traits Acres displays. He has some size, he covers the ground at pretty reasonable pace (although with long strides and without looking quick, maybe that's where the BJ comparisons come from) and he instinctively moves through traffic and creates space for himself. You cannot teach those traits and I suspect that's why his natural game is to run and carry, and players that do that open up the game for you. Still makes the young player blunders at this stage and will be up and down a bit, but there is a LOT to like......

The heavy metal artist formerly known as True Believer!
IF you look around the room and can't identify who the sucker is, then it's probably you!
whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

Eyespy wrote:Acres has become my favourite player ! Kid has so much natural ability and oozes X factor ! i think with consistency of being played in the 1's he's going to get better and better ! Makes the odd mistake from time to time but I love the fact that he's willing to take on the game and as he gains experience he's going to become more and more unstoppable ! watch this space # futurestar
This! :!: :!:

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

His ability to break tackles is a huge weapon. Will get better and better. Will find more composure with more games and starts to realise he doesn't need to blast away quickly quite as much. But is beautiful long kick too which can destroy oppo zoning and get them back peddling.

He is just one of those players I love going to the footy to watch. Those bullocking runs are so damn exciting - you don't know what could happen! And then he might take a speccie or kick an amazing 50m goal. If he can keep his development going, should be a great, if slightly unpredictable, weapon. But then unpredictably is not necessarily a bad thing. Teams are full of predictable players training in bog standard AFL decision making. Someone who does something different is hard to defend.

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

Bluthy wrote:His ability to break tackles is a huge weapon. Will get better and better. Will find more composure with more games and starts to realise he doesn't need to blast away quickly quite as much. But is beautiful long kick too which can destroy oppo zoning and get them back peddling.

He is just one of those players I love going to the footy to watch. Those bullocking runs are so damn exciting - you don't know what could happen! And then he might take a speccie or kick an amazing 50m goal. If he can keep his development going, should be a great, if slightly unpredictable, weapon. But then unpredictably is not necessarily a bad thing. Teams are full of predictable players training in bog standard AFL decision making. Someone who does something different is hard to defend.
I haven't seen him kick a 50m goal.

I've seen him try, and shank it or not make the distance.

Vazelos
Club Player

Acre's ceiling is very high, there isnt anything he cant do, his potential is limitless.
He needs to perfect a lower projectory field kick and he will be a club champion for sure.
High marks, gut running, inside and outside, tackling, side step, appetite for the contest he has shown it all.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Acres is getting close to a breakout game. Coming very soon for all the doubters.

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

magnifisaint wrote:Acres is getting close to a breakout game. Coming very soon for all the doubters.
But....do you think that he'll be a guy that although brilliant, will always have you face palming at least twice a week?

I get that feeling from him. Which worries me.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Johnny Member wrote:
Bluthy wrote:His ability to break tackles is a huge weapon. Will get better and better. Will find more composure with more games and starts to realise he doesn't need to blast away quickly quite as much. But is beautiful long kick too which can destroy oppo zoning and get them back peddling.

I haven't seen him kick a 50m goal.

I reckon I only ever saw Lenny kick one and that was when he absolutely had to. Somehow willed it over the line.

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:Steele named ahead of Acres in the best on the AFL report which I think is pretty odd.

Really promising game from Blake, great to see his confidence building despite a few clumsy errors.
Steele played a better game. Acres was encouraging, but Steele did a heck of a lot.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Johnny Member wrote:
magnifisaint wrote:Acres is getting close to a breakout game. Coming very soon for all the doubters.
But....do you think that he'll be a guy that although brilliant, will always have you face palming at least twice a week?

I get that feeling from him. Which worries me.
My feeling is he could be a 25 possession a game line breaking mid... if he can do that consistently I'd be okay if he shanks one or two a game

dragit
Saintsational Legend

desertsaint wrote:
dragit wrote:Steele named ahead of Acres in the best on the AFL report which I think is pretty odd.

Really promising game from Blake, great to see his confidence building despite a few clumsy errors.
Steele played a better game. Acres was encouraging, but Steele did a heck of a lot.
I thought Steele was good, but Acres was definitely more influential on the game.

Acres was taking the game on and getting the ball into dangerous positions, 13 kicks, 4 rebound 50's, 4 inside 50's.

Steele was applying great pressure with 9 tackles, but only had 5 kicks.

Both were good.

spert
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:
desertsaint wrote:

I thought Steele was good, but Acres was definitely more influential on the game.

Acres was taking the game on and getting the ball into dangerous positions, 13 kicks, 4 rebound 50's, 4 inside 50's.

Steele was applying great pressure with 9 tackles, but only had 5 kicks.

Both were good.
Acres really moves to the ball into an attacking position at all costs- he doesn't need a huge amount of possessions to be effective. Steele is strong and a great tackler, though needs to get a bit more run in his game and get ball on foot a lot quicker.

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

If we're looking for a breakout game, Blacres has already had it. Last year against the Dees, first time around. As Molly would say, "Do yourself a favour," and YouTube it. For those of you who doubt Blacres star potential, it was that game, followed by several towards the end of the year that had those who know a bit about football, very excited indeed, including none other than Mr. Leonard Hayes esquire.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
loris
Saintsational Legend

White Winmar wrote: Mr. Leonard Hayes esquire.
Protocol is, if one uses 'Esquire', one drops off the 'Mr'. :wink: :wink: :wink:

The above is a very unlikely WW slip up!!!! :P

The_President
Club Player

desertsaint wrote:

Steele had the most tackles (9) for the game and the most pressure acts (26)
Also had 8 contested possessions to go with his 20 for the game (90% eff)

Feel like Steele will be that player that you don't always notice, but then you look closer & he's also getting the ball out into space/on the bottom of the pack

supersaints
Club Player

A lot to like ... When we drafted him I was concerned his highlight reel resulted in a turnover or poor disposal, it was a bit hard to see what the fuss was about.... however he does some very exiting things, and a couple of dumbass things , but he's always prepared to take the game on.
I'll get yelled David an for the s but he reminds me of a young Gilbert, hopefully he will blossom ok to something great , or he may polarize like Gilbert seems to.
I think he has a huge upside

And the president said " I did not have sex with that woman"
And our former president said " Football is like golf" 

Go Sainters !!!!!
The_President
Club Player

Think Newnes needs some recognition as well.

When I think of Newnes, I picture him running when everyone else seems spent.. he seemed to be back to his better games from last year.

Constantly getting the ball on a flank, running, taking a few bounces and launching it long.

Had 32 touches & gained 766m - the most on the ground by a fair distance.

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

supersaints wrote:A lot to like ... When we drafted him I was concerned his highlight reel resulted in a turnover or poor disposal, it was a bit hard to see what the fuss was about.... however he does some very exiting things, and a couple of dumbass things , but he's always prepared to take the game on.
I'll get yelled David an for the s but he reminds me of a young Gilbert, hopefully he will blossom ok to something great , or he may polarize like Gilbert seems to.
I think he has a huge upside
I hope you're wrong - but I fear you're right.

We have seen over the years how soul destroying it is to see blokes make howling stuff ups week after week.

I agree with all the 'lots to like' comments about Acres, but as yesterday showed us - there's plenty to be concerned about with him too.

supersaints
Club Player

A lot to like ... When we drafted him I was concerned his highlight reel resulted in a turnover or poor disposal, it was a bit hard to see what the fuss was about.... however he does some very exiting things, and a couple of dumbass things , but he's always prepared to take the game on.
I think he has a huge upside....

Go Sainters !!!!!
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

He does nice things

Supporters massively overrate him on real output terms

Should end up good player

Eyespy

Johnny Member wrote:

I haven't seen him kick a 50m goal. The kids going to be a star !

Here you go !! Now you have !!
http://m.saints.com.au/video/2014-05-12 ... first-goal
Last edited by Eyespy on Mon 17 Apr 2017 4:13pm, edited 1 time in total.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Supporters massively overrate him on real output terms
No they don't… he's 21, played only 29 games and is very exciting.

His real output by numbers ranks right next to Petracca who you were banging on about like sliced bread 2.0 just yesterday.

supersaints
Club Player

Oops that was I'll get yelled down for this... bloody preemptive text

Go Sainters !!!!!
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Stop mis-representing me?

I compared him to Paddy (and Weller) who are struggling CP is doing OK

CP is no gun yet, neither is Acres, nor is Gresham

We blow our bolts over kids early, write them off early and I think we get over excited

On another thread someone claimed Gresham was the best player with the ball he's seen? I don't know if that person only started watching football this year?? But that's a ridiculous comment!!!

I say, be impressed by them, as I am, recognise they have deficiencies and need to improve and just let them develop

FFS - every decent kid is compared to Lenny Hayes!!!

We absolutely overrate a few, and we are also quick to write off!!!

People think I have written off Paddy - absolutely not!!!
I have concerns about his athleticism and I know he is not currently performing
Have I put a line through him, NO