VFL Rd 1 Sandy vs Bombers

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

Re: VFL Rd 1 Sandy vs Bombers

magnifisaint wrote:McCartin only 2 goals. Looks like he had a poor game
I'm not sure who to believe here. I might stick with the people who watched the game.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

What, you don't believe he only kicked 2?... seems to be the case?

saynta
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:What, you don't believe he only kicked 2?... seems to be the case?
No, he doesnt believe paddy had a poor game.

Neither do I.

carn_sainter
Club Player

Thanks to everyone with reports and comments.

I am a massive fan of both Meatball and Sinclair. They are perhaps smaller than average, but seriously clever, skilled, nousy footballers. I reckon they both have good afl careers ahead of them and I would love to see them in the seniors. Meatball could be a real gun midfielder with time.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

kosifantutti wrote:
I'm not sure who to believe here. I might stick with the people who watched the game.
No 1 draft pick full forward kicks 2 goals in the VFL. Must have been best on ground then!

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
SuperSaint
Club Player

Right now on form Meatball should be in the seniors instead of Billings and today's performance proved it. If Billings plays another another poor game tomorrow waiting for the ball to come to him, he should be dropped.

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

SANDRINGHAM 11.12 (78) d ESSENDON 10.11 (71)

Telling facts: Darren Minchington (28 disposals) was the difference in the first half, kicking three of his four goals before half time to help the Zebras to a 34-point lead. The home team restricted Essendon to just one goal in the first half, before holding off a fast finishing Bombers’ side, as the visitors kicked seven of the last 11 goals in the game to fall short by seven points.

Leading goalkickers: Sandringham – Minchington 4, McCartin, Marshall, Wright 2 / Essendon – McKernan, J.Merrett 2

Next up: Rd 2 - Sandringham v Richmond / Essendon v Collingwood
http://websites.sportstg.com/assoc_page ... D=54494024

play by play of scores
http://websites.sportstg.com/round_info ... PLAYBYPLAY

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

magnifisaint wrote:
kosifantutti wrote:
No 1 draft pick full forward kicks 2 goals in the VFL. Must have been best on ground then!
I'm looking forward to your assessment of the rest of the team from the game you didn't see.

To the top
SS Life Member

IMO Gresham is the proverbial ahead of "Meatball" and "Sincs" whose nicknames seem to attract a following

And I would trust that Billings and Freeman both leave them in their wake

Already ahead of them are Steven, Armitage, Ross, Dunstan, Acres, Steele, Montagna and Stevens

So that is 11 ahead of the VFL performers - and who do you drop to include them in the side?

Then we get a look at Long tomorrow and Lonie is still in the side, ahead of Wright

So they may be favourites and they may be AFL Stars in waiting in the opinion of some but the facts are that they are a long way down the list at St Kilda which is a good sign

Handy VFL footballers but they are at VFL level for a reason

Then we have a couple of First Round Draft Picks at season's end - and who we can attract to the Club

saint-stu
Club Player

magnifisaint wrote:
kosifantutti wrote:
He was good. Certainly not poor but didn't dominate either. Took some very nice lead up marks outside the F50, but was triple teamed most times I50. He did bring the ball to ground a few times which helped the team. He crashed into a pack without looking and I thought he was going to hurt himself. He got up slowly and played the rest of the game unaffected.

1ac46a38
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

My impressions
Paddy is almost too unselfish- saw him do it last week and again today- Rather than trust himself to kick the goal/ go long he will go for the pass.
Mckenzie seemed to be hit head high not once but twice

the 2 Irish lads did very well for their first serious hit out with Conollan coming of second best not once but twice from head high contact- they also have some synergy between themselves.

The Bombers played dirt- and got away with it- Billy in particular was rag dolled buy Mckernan repeatedly- elbows used regularly from many of their players.

Sandringham would benefit from the number of Bomber fans who turned out and the Players BBQ ran out midway during the last quarter.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
saynta
Saintsational Legend

saint-stu wrote:
magnifisaint wrote:
kosifantutti wrote:
He was good. Certainly not poor but didn't dominate either. Took some very nice lead up marks outside the F50, but was triple teamed most times I50. He did bring the ball to ground a few times which helped the team. He crashed into a pack without looking and I thought he was going to hurt himself. He got up slowly and played the rest of the game unaffected.

Thanks st stu.

Don't you just love these armchair critics who didnt even see the game, live or on tv but can tell that a players performace was poor, despite what those at the game have stated.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Jade has performed a bit better than the other smaller... not by the proverbial, but a few effective touches a game.

Sinclair is played out of position in the AFL

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

saintbrat wrote:My impressions
Paddy is almost too unselfish- saw him do it last week and again today- Rather than trust himself to kick the goal/ go long he will go for the pass.
Mckenzie seemed to be hit head high not once but twice

the 2 Irish lads did very well for their first serious hit out with Conollan coming of second best not once but twice from head high contact- they also have some synergy between themselves.

The Bombers played dirt- and got away with it- Billy in particular was rag dolled buy Mckernan repeatedly- elbows used regularly from many of their players.

Sandringham would benefit from the number of Bomber fans who turned out and the Players BBQ ran out midway during the last quarter.
Pretty much agree with you bratty, although I think Paddy is trying too hard. He needs to be more relaxed and selfish.
Dmac had a concussion test in the first quarter and was hit again in the third.
The Irish boys are full on and do seem to look after each other. One was on his knees after a tackle when the other was coathangered. They both came off at the same time.

The rabble behind the northern goal were quite amusing. Glad they were paying customers.

Nobody really put their hand up for a game next week, except maybe Stevens.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
stonecold
SS Life Member

BigMart wrote:What, you don't believe he only kicked 2?... seems to be the case?
PaddyWhacka!!!!!

'Cause StoneCold Said So'!!!!!

We will be great again once Billy is back playing!!!!!

The 'Last Post', it's the gift that keeps giving 📯📯📯📯📯
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

I really want Koby in the ones ASAP. He is a genuine like for like Chips replacement IMO and together with Gilbo can break lines and give excellent drive from half back.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Just reporting, what I assumed were the facts? How many do you believe he kicked?

Honest truth,

On a beautiful day for forwards, I would have hoped our top draft pick (#1) from 3 years ago might tear a VFL backline a new arse?!

I watch a lot of VFL and generally when a quality kid, top end talent plays, the reality is, they take the piss
I've seen,
Ball, Dal, Joey, BJ, Armo, Jack, Tom L, Billings, Raph, Fisher, Milne all tear it up when they've lined up in what is to them, an inferior level
Even
Mini, Ferg, Geary, Minch, Lonie, Sincs, CJ
All consistently perform at a very high standard at the lower level

I hope Paddy does the same, as he should, he should really be head and shoulders above either young AFL or Average mature aged defenders.
Like it or not, he came with the tag... best 18yo player in the country in 2014

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Just reporting, what I assumed were the facts? How many do you believe he kicked?

Honest truth,

On a beautiful day for forwards, I would have hoped our top draft pick (#1) from 3 years ago might tear a VFL backline a new arse?!

I watch a lot of VFL and generally when a quality kid, top end talent plays, the reality is, they take the piss
I've seen,
Ball, Dal, Joey, BJ, Armo, Jack, Tom L, Billings, Raph, Fisher, Milne all tear it up when they've lined up in what is to them, an inferior level
Even

I hope Paddy does the same, as he should, he should really be head and shoulders above either young AFL or Average mature aged defenders.
Excellent!
Another review of Paddy's performance from someone who didn't see the game.

stonecold
SS Life Member

Assumed????? Exactly, watch a lot of VFL and still play footy as well as being an expert on St.Kilda, WOW, anything you carnt do?????

'Cause StoneCold Said So'!!!!!

We will be great again once Billy is back playing!!!!!

The 'Last Post', it's the gift that keeps giving 📯📯📯📯📯
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Did you see it?

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Just reporting, what I assumed were the facts? How many do you believe he kicked?

Honest truth,

I've seen,
Even

Your a joke to criticise a game you've never watched lol

<warning for baiting - do not attack the poster - only argue the content of the post>

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

It's You're a joke

That's okay, never resort to correcting people normally... I make errors, don't really proof?

Just didn't appreciate the comment

Please point out where I reviewed the game?

Just commented on the fact Paddy didn't have a big day in front of the sticks... 2 goals and read reviews of those who watched... sounds like he did ok? Doesn't sound like he dominated... like the players I alluded to did generally?

But, I was ACTUALLY referring to the numerous times I've seen Paddy play VFL

Anyways

Wrote for Luck
Club Player

BigMart's right though, I was there, he really should be tearing it up, in those conditions, against a number of players playing their first competitive hit out, and especially so considering he was dropped. Good enough game/effort, but can't help but come away a little disappointed (as our number one pick) on this occasion. He looks massive now. Needs to throw his weight around more. Create fear.

Pills 'n' Thrills and Heartaches
ace
Saintsational Legend

millarsaint wrote:My wrap from second quarter to half way through last;

Paddy - not so hungry, took a couple of decent grabs, seemed to be double teamed, thought he busted his finger at one point
O'Kearney - noticeable, fluid footballer and brave, looks Monty like
Stevens - did some awesome things inside, so cluey and tough
Freeman - looks in good condition, didn't see his explosive pace, but moved well through dense traffic, got into good positions
Joyce and Connellan - combined brilliantly in one passage of play coming out of defence. Another; Connellan took great chest mark on wing and burst past an opponent to left foot kick to Wright for easy goal top of the square. If he's not a left footer it was a brilliant kick at top speed, because it was a good kick anyway.
Marshall - got involved a lot and used his height, just didn't hold as many as he should have
Wright - seemed ok
Minchington - brilliant footballer, good game
Longer - serviceable
Battle - after a good mark missed a sitter, a little quiet
Phillips - if I'm getting him right I thought he was solid. Reminded me of Seb, impressed, and looks good size too
White - did one passage of play out of defence that was brilliant, looks sensational on the gallop and in the air
Sinclair - seemed to be in among it a lot of the time, some strong tackling
McKenzie - did some nice things, worked hard
Rice - thought he was great to watch, looks the real deal, composed and thick set, assured type of player, closes in nicely

That's probably about it and for the most part glass half full. A good win for the Zebs who were up against drug cheats enthused to fight back.
That's 16 saints listed players, not much chance of a game (number of places) if you are zebras listed player.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

kosifantutti wrote:
magnifisaint wrote:
kosifantutti wrote:
I'm looking forward to your assessment of the rest of the team from the game you didn't see.
Geez I wonder if he played midfield. Must have considering he didn't get too close to the goal posts.

Posting 20 years of holey crap!