Rd 4 team vs Pies

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

stonecold
SS Life Member

Re: Rd 4 team vs Pies

millarsaint wrote:I'm a fan of Sinclair but he's had plenty of goes and has wasted a lot of them. Doesn't get enough of the ball. Perhaps they're developing him as a mid and need him to tick all the boxes as a mid, bit of a change around for him. They've given him a pretty decent number so reading something into that they must clearly rate him. Look how long they worked Seb in the VFL for the role he's executing now. And don't mention Eli.
+1, Too much common sense for some posters though!!!!!

'Cause StoneCold Said So'!!!!!

We will be great again once Billy is back playing!!!!!

The 'Last Post', it's the gift that keeps giving 📯📯📯📯📯
To the top
SS Life Member

Since debuting in 2015, Sinclair has played 27 games and kicked 22 goals.

Except for 1 quarter against a very, very poor Essendon Sinclair has not shown me that he is AFL standard.

Run of the mill size, so some pretty hot competition.

Bruce G McAbee
Club Player

Just a thought re Paddy, he was good in Perth and it was warm, maybe he was a bit flat after that. It does happen to some players.

Think of me long enough to make a memory.
carn_sainter
Club Player

Moods wrote:Very happy with these changes.

And I'll say something here that goes against the grain of everyone on this forum. Roo is not a midfielders arsehole. Sure he collects possessions, but he's too slow to move the ball on and his field kicking under pressure is sus. He's in the top 3 fwds in the competition. Play him in the fwd line. I'm happy for the coaches to release him into the midfield to lose the tag, so to speak. But his best footy is lead up and mark, turn and kick goal. Good mids create play, with quick hands, squaring kicks etc. Roo, in my view, had made it look like he has handled the transition well because, let's face it, he's a champ. But great mids are good when the ball hits the ground. This is not Roo's strong suit. Play him in the fwd line. He'll kick 3 and set up 4-5 more.
Roo's field kicking is quite good in my memory.

He's not a clearance midfielder but god damn we need somebody to link the back half of the ground with the front half and he is perfect. Plus he can then push from the wing to the forward line and get a shot on goal.

I think he is a very good wingman type and that it's very necessary for us since we don't have anyone besides Jack Steven who can take the ball from the D 50 and hit someone within one kick from a shot on goal. We need a link man and he is perfect. I also like Acres for the role but nobody can do it as well as Riewoldt.

We have a serious problem with clean ball use out of defence (it's not just goal kicking, our inability to hit leading players and instead give the ball up to a throw-in or ball-up this year has been atrocious) and with players leading up to the ball. Far too much bombing down the line so far.

A player like Roo in that role is our best chance of overcoming that.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Yes, you get a lot of the ball playing as a small forward. Nathan Wright had it on a string in his time in that position... Lonie, Minchington, Templeton and Gresham the same...

The best small forward in my time averaged about 11-12 pos a game - Milne

Especially hard when it's natural mids trying to play as small forwards who 'pressure'

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Acres was more effective than McCartin when he took his place at FF last week. It show's where Paddy is at. He'll get better, but some hard work at VFL level won't hurt him right now.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

carn_sainter wrote:Roo's field kicking is quite good in my memory.

He's not a clearance midfielder but god damn we need somebody to link the back half of the ground with the front half and he is perfect. Plus he can then push from the wing to the forward line and get a shot on goal.

I think he is a very good wingman type and that it's very necessary for us since we don't have anyone besides Jack Steven who can take the ball from the D 50 and hit someone within one kick from a shot on goal. We need a link man and he is perfect. I also like Acres for the role but nobody can do it as well as Riewoldt.

We have a serious problem with clean ball use out of defence (it's not just goal kicking, our inability to hit leading players and instead give the ball up to a throw-in or ball-up this year has been atrocious) and with players leading up to the ball. Far too much bombing down the line so far.

I'm with you.

Riewoldt's playing great football on the wing and reverting to a kick it to Nick mentality will serve no good long-term purpose.

We need to look to the future and multiple routes to goal, not one predictable route, is the way to go.

We have Membrey and Bruce and I'm backing McCartin to make an impact before the season is out despite this temporary set back.

Let Riewoldt do what he likes to do and run all day, with the occasional cameo forward.

prwilkinson
SS Hall of Fame

We're due to kick straight at some point... Saints by 27. Hope Long lights it up on debut.

The_President
Club Player

Bluthy wrote:So we are going back to "kick it to Roo"? The whole idea was to move Rooey out of the forward line to let the next-gen get space and take responsibility. Now when the pressure is on (don't worry - Richo loves pressure) it back to type for Richo - conservative to the extreme. Don't worry about pumping games into Paddy like he needs.

Richo is really setting the team up for the future. Brilliant to bring a 29 old injury ridden defender - I assume he'll play for us for 10 years. We are so lucky to have a bold coach like Richo. I wonder if we could get special compensation to get Scneids back on the list and pump another season worths of games into him. Richo is such a forward thinker with real vision. So, so lucky to have him. Just disappointed we didn't drop Acres and Billings - we don't need talented, creative players out there. The more stodge the better.

I honestly think that we are better balanced with one less key forward.
Membrey & Bruce work well together. Both lead hard & crash packs to create for the smalls.

When Bruce goes into the ruck, Roo might go deep forward.

The "kick it to Roo" mentality is passed. Pretty sure Nick has a license to go & do whatever he wants on the ground. Now that we have two very good lead up players in Membrey & Bruce, who both lead up high into the wings and then push back into the space that the other left behind. We don't have to rely on Nick. Defenders have to play on Bruce & Memmbre because both are capable of kicking a bag. That leaves Nick to float back into space and out mark a midfielder or their third defender.

As for picking up Brown, he was cheap & we needed someone. Chips was cooked. Carlisle was an unknown aftermissing a year + having hip surgery & poor Goddard was already out for at least half the season.
Brown was a freebie & in all honesty, a rather good pick up - even only just for a year. He showed plenty last weekend, I felt both him and Carlisle worked really well together.. both improved dramatically on their efforts the week before.

Yes, Brown has struggled with injury in his career. But he is also a premiership fullback, and a rather good one when up and going. If, for nothing else. He is a good stopgap until Goddard is healthy, and also, a fantastic teacher for Goddard.

Back on Paddy & the forward line... Everyoje wants Paddy to be great & want him to be given an extended run, but he did look very ordinary last week. Going back and dominating a few VFL games like he did last year won't hurt him. He's still only young AND we do have other options up forward right now.. which isnt a bad thing and isn't harming his development.
This is a guy who had two unfortunate headknocks last year & kicked two quick ones against the Tigers & then broke his collarbone... he hasn't been lucky so far, that's footy. He has shown enough that he will be great (with some luck) and having old Nick around to not only teach him, but let him run around in the VFL and dominate some games, whilst not having to deal with the pressure & expectation of dominating AFL games straight away can only be a good thing in the long run.

the dome
Club Player

Good Luck Ben Long (if in this Sunday)

Glad Ben is one of our young guys contending for his own spot in the team.
Good Luck Ben

Good luck Sainters on Easter Sunday. :D

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

I'm just hoping Paddy can be as good as Jack Watts, who is becoming a valuable player at the Dees, albeit nota champion

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
dragit
Saintsational Legend

Good post the_president...

I reckon we tend to bomb it in more with tall targets hoping for a big contested grab rather than playing smart and actually finding a player if any height in a good position...

Where will long play? Forward or back?

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:This fixture is a real gift.
We got partially screwed in Rd 2 by the umps but this is an opportunity for pay back.
An Away game v Pies at Etihad is a very good fixture for us.
Need the 4 points.
Agree. Similar to us getting both of our games against Melbourne at Etihad last year. Major factor helping us to win 12 games in 2016 IMO. Collingwood have only won 1 out of their past 7 games at Docklands, and their one win was against us when we were absolutely shot and Fsolo kicked 4 goals in the first quarter or something ridiculous like that.
Think last week's malaise was due to the game the week before against the Eagles on the big ground in the Perth heat. They struggled against Richmond last weekend too and rebounded well against the Swans, and I think we will do the same.

Big chance tomorrow. 50/50 but if we can nail our chances I think we'll win.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
saintbob
SS Life Member

To the top wrote:Since debuting in 2015, Sinclair has played 27 games and kicked 22 goals.

Except for 1 quarter against a very, very poor Essendon Sinclair has not shown me that he is AFL standard.

Run of the mill size, so some pretty hot competition.

Sinclair is a way better prospect than Lonie, its an absolute joke Lonie is still getting a game

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
carn_sainter wrote:Roo's field kicking is quite good in my memory.

I'm with you.

Riewoldt's playing great football on the wing and reverting to a kick it to Nick mentality will serve no good long-term purpose.

We need to look to the future and multiple routes to goal, not one predictable route, is the way to go.

We have Membrey and Bruce and I'm backing McCartin to make an impact before the season is out despite this temporary set back.

Let Riewoldt do what he likes to do and run all day, with the occasional cameo forward.
I agree with the above. Some ppl just have no idea :lol: :lol:

To the top
SS Life Member

As I put previously, I am gob smacked that Long has not taken Lonie's spot (given Long has been included).

But I do not agree Sinclair is the answer - or Minchington.

The best prospect we have as a small forward is Gresham and that is why the progress of Freeman will be vital.

Wright is honest, hard at it and has pace which places pressure - but is not also evasive and damaging.

I do not subscribe to "defensive forwards", because all forwards should bring defensive pressure AND be creative and damaging.

A "defensive forward" is just a waste of a player.

Didn't we learn anything from the Lyon years?

prwilkinson
SS Hall of Fame

Who is getting to the game tomorrow avo? I'll be there... with a couple of maggies supporters unfortunately...

longtimesaint
Club Player

prwilkinson wrote:Who is getting to the game tomorrow avo? I'll be there... with a couple of maggies supporters unfortunately...
I suppose we will be badly outnumbered
Still be worth it if we can win.

One year will be our year
desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:I'm just hoping Paddy can be as good as Jack Watts, who is becoming a valuable player at the Dees, albeit nota champion
I'm just hoping he can be as good as Kosi!

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
longtimesaint
Club Player

desertsaint wrote:
saintspremiers wrote:I'm just hoping Paddy can be as good as Jack Watts, who is becoming a valuable player at the Dees, albeit nota champion
That's a high expectation as Kosi was a very good player curtailed unfortunately by injury.

One year will be our year
saynta
Saintsational Legend

prwilkinson wrote:Who is getting to the game tomorrow avo? I'll be there... with a couple of maggies supporters unfortunately...
The missus and I were going, but now will put the family first.

Still watch on fox of course.

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

longtimesaint wrote:
desertsaint wrote:
That's a high expectation as Kosi was a very good player curtailed unfortunately by injury.
he was indeed. forgotten by many that knock him.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
saynta
Saintsational Legend

desertsaint wrote:
longtimesaint wrote:
desertsaint wrote:
he was indeed. forgotten by many that knock him.

I would never knock Kossi. Never.

Bit like shooting bambi to my way of thinking.

Love the guy.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Lonie is now a whipping boy... because he's small, it's hilarious...

We are allowed to bag him... he's the same age as Paddy, he's 72kg and we can write him off... if we suggest any criticism with Paddy it's howled down, with FFS he's only 21, give him time!!!!! Surely a man of 72kg can be given a little time to adjust to AFL level footy?... or is that only given to 'big blokes'

Why can't both Lonie and Sinclair be afforded the same?!

Is it's because Paddy was a number 1 dp that we so desperately want him to succeed that we refuse to accept he may not? Yet are readily able to accept the failure of a couple of low picks/rookies

They (Jack and Jack) play the worst possible position to make a consistent impact... the ball is rarely directed through them... yet they have to make the best of their opportunities. Lonie is a small forward, but really hard for Jack S... who imo is a midfielder

I will do a comparison of numbers of all three... all have played similar amounts, generally forward
I'll see what comes of it

George27
Club Player

saynta wrote:
The missus and I were going, but now will put the family first.

Still watch on fox of course.
I will also be relegated to watching on Foxtel. We are hosting 20 people for Easter Sunday lunch. I had considered sneaking out after main course, and hoping no one would notice, but I reckon Mrs George would ( eventually ) spot my absence , and the locks would be changed by the time I got home!

Fortunately we have some interstate guests , who have agreed with me that this game will be perfect post- lunch TV viewing .

Make lots of noise, Sainters !