Spud and Dal on Paddy

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

Spud and Dal on Paddy

Posted by SEN on FB.

St Kilda great Danny Frawley has issued a blunt warning to Saints forward Paddy McCartin.

“He’s got to get more competitive, it’s as simple as that,” Frawley told SEN Breakfast.

“That’s his DNA - compete.”

In his third season since the Saints made him the first overall selection at the 2014 national draft, the soon-to-be 21-year-old key forward has struggled to find form.

He was a late withdrawal from the opening round side that lost to Melbourne with what the club termed hamstring awareness, but proceeded to play three quarters in the VFL a day later.

Recalled for the trip to Perth to tackle West Coast the former Geelong Falcon kicked two goals in an improved display but managed just five disposals and two marks in the fighting win over Brisbane.

While Frawley said improved competitiveness was the key for McCartin, another Saint legend Nick Dal Santo was far more blunt in his assessment.

“He hasn’t shown enough for me,” Dal Santo said.

“I’d like to see more progress in his game.”

McCartin, who debuted in Round 3 2015, kicked 14 goals from 11 matches last season, including five bags of two despite suffering two serious bouts of concussion.

The 1-2 St Kilda tackles Collingwood at Etihad Stadium on Sunday in what shapes as an interesting team selection for the full forward given the lack of key defenders at the Pies.

Will the coaching look to stretch the Pies or opt to leave McCartin out given his presence could make the forwardline top heavy alongside Tim Membrey, Josh Bruce and former skipper Nick Riewoldt, who played predominantly forward in the victory over the Lions.

The Saints have won only one of their past 10 matches against the Magpies.

Thoughts?

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
stonecold
SS Life Member

Re: Spud and Dal on Paddy

Oldest trick in footy, assistant coaches give the boy a nudge!!!!

'Cause StoneCold Said So'!!!!!

We will be great again once Billy is back playing!!!!!

The 'Last Post', it's the gift that keeps giving 📯📯📯📯📯
dragit
Saintsational Legend

I think it shows that it's not just rabid fans who are a bit disappointed.

stonecold
SS Life Member

dragit wrote:I think it shows that it's not just rabid fans who are a bit disappointed.
Your entitled to that opinion!!!!!

dragit
Saintsational Legend

stonecold wrote:
dragit wrote:I think it shows that it's not just rabid fans who are a bit disappointed.
Your entitled to that opinion!!!!!
Thank you, but it's not really my opinion… some greats of the games have expressed that Paddy's form has been pretty disappointing.

#gosaintas
Club Player

He has been disappointing. Jogs around like he's disinterested and can't hold a mark. When he gets a shot at goal he misses. Time for some games at Sandy.

Saint wagga
Club Player

It's a pity he hasn't played closer to 30 games over his first two seasons, because then i'd be much more inclined to spell him to Sandy after his effort against the lions, but the fact he has had such a disjointed run at senior footy due to diabetes management and head knocks...I think we just need to suck it up and presevere if he isn't injured, almost regardless of form (within reason of course, but which young forward hasnt had a quiet game or two!!). If we are having this discussion this time next year after he plays say 15 games this year - then i'd be much harsher in my assessment. Fair?

Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

Whether they go with Paddy or not, we don't want to take Riewoldt out of the midfield and play him forward. We'd be playing right into Collingwood's hands, their midfield is the danger.

To the top
SS Life Member

Given his performances v Melbourne I am of the view that his absence in Round 1 was telling

So there you go!

As with the practice game v PA our entries to the forward line were ordinary last weekend kicking frequently to their extra defender and then going to the pockets (hence the score line) ignoring the "hot spot" where McCartin was

On the couple of occasions we did actually attack the "hot spot" he was in front forcing the spoil

Was Montagna running in off McCartin in front, a spoil by 2 defenders and the spill ?

That said he did appear to be labouring physically but that can be the impression when sides are switching - and they have a player back who can kick as their guy was after all our points

He had bullit disposal which was catching us out and leaving us exposed on the fat side of the ground

I think McCartin and Bruce are the 2 central components of our attack - and allow Membrey to ply his height as the 3rd option

On any given week one of those may appear to have an off day because of entry target - then we have Riewoldt drifting and even Acres last week

Summary?

McCartin is a key component of this side

saintbob
SS Life Member

To the top wrote:Given his performances v Melbourne I am of the view that his absence in Round 1 was telling

So there you go!

As with the practice game v PA our entries to the forward line were ordinary last weekend kicking frequently to their extra defender and then going to the pockets (hence the score line) ignoring the "hot spot" where McCartin was

On the couple of occasions we did actually attack the "hot spot" he was in front forcing the spoil

Was Montagna running in off McCartin in front, a spoil by 2 defenders and the spill ?

That said he did appear to be labouring physically but that can be the impression when sides are switching - and they have a player back who can kick as their guy was after all our points

He had bullit disposal which was catching us out and leaving us exposed on the fat side of the ground

I think McCartin and Bruce are the 2 central components of our attack - and allow Membrey to ply his height as the 3rd option

On any given week one of those may appear to have an off day because of entry target - then we have Riewoldt drifting and even Acres last week

Summary?

No doubt he's a key component of the side and I imagine Richo and Co built the game plan around him, obviously his form has been really poor so it will be very interesting what the coaches come up with if they decide to drop him.

Is there a plan B???

spert
Saintsational Legend

To the top wrote:Given his performances v Melbourne I am of the view that his absence in Round 1 was telling

So there you go!

Summary?

The opposition don't see Paddy as a threat I believe, and his form doesn't warrant any extra consideration by opposition coaches, as he has no form! This has been a very ordinary start to the season for Paddy, and I think he will spend a bit of time in the VFL learning about hard work both on and off the ball.

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

He's a fat, lazy dud. So there's only one solution. The oldest solution. He needs to go to the backline.

stonecold
SS Life Member

perfectionist wrote:He's a fat, lazy dud. So there's only one solution. The oldest solution. He needs to go to the backline.
Who????? BigMart, not very nice!!!!!

<<< MOD EDIT. POSTER WARNED FOR BAITING> >>>

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

perfectionist wrote:He's a fat, lazy dud. So there's only one solution. The oldest solution. He needs to go to the backline.
That thought had also crossed my mind. Seriously. Not the fat, lazy dud bit. The move to the back line.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Not bad StoneCold

183 and 78kg - not fat
Still play in the midfield at 43 and either run or ride everyday, play cricket, golf, tennis, footy - not lazy

What you think you know about me, is probably a bit off the mark, see, you've got no idea what I've done, what I do and who I am...

What I will tell you, I am pretty comfortable with my understanding of footy

stonecold
SS Life Member

BigMart wrote:Not bad StoneCold

183 and 78kg - not fat
Still play in the midfield at 43 and either run or ride everyday, play cricket, golf, tennis, footy - not lazy

What you think you know about me, is probably a bit off the mark, see, you've got no idea what I've done, what I do and who I am...

What I will tell you, I am pretty comfortable with my understanding of footy
What League????? Happy to take you on in any of those sports, bar tennis (sport for blokes that are s*** at cricket and riding bikes (too many Latte's for me)!!!!!

Too bad your not into boxing or Martial arts, that's right in my wheelhouse!!!!!

Happy to accept any challenge, and you know less about me than I know about you now!!!!!

stonecold
SS Life Member

stonecold wrote:
Who????? BigMart, not very nice!!!!!

<<< MOD EDIT. POSTER WARNED FOR BAITING> >>>
Fine Mods, happy to cop that, but how about you do something about the PaddyWhacka who is way out of line and disrespectful to a young St.Kilda footballer who needs time!!!!!

Give the kid a break, not much of a forum if we can not even look out for the real st.Kilda people!!!!

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

I am not sure how 'you're gonna take me on?' And I'm not at all interested either

I don't have to prove myself to you, as you are completely irrelevant

I can still get a kick at my age, in fact I had about 25 on the weekend... that's good enough for me ATM ... I've had my day

As far as Cricket goes, well that is my #1 sport, very comfortable with what I've achieved there

stonecold
SS Life Member

Good for you being so happy with your lot, tell me what league champion and I'll come down for a kick!!!!!

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

I thought a superstar like you would be ripping it up on big coin somewhere?

Just imagine if you did happen to play against... and beat me? Wow, that'd be an achievent!!!

That's, if you did...

I suggest maybe concentrate on yourself and give it a rest ...

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Mart, Stonecold. Enough tit for tat please. Stick to the topic of the thread please.

Your tit for tat is boring and clogging up the thread.

Thanks.

stonecold
SS Life Member

Fair enough, happy to wait for PM from the other party and deal with it from there!!!!!

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

White Winmar wrote:
That thought had also crossed my mind. Seriously. Not the fat, lazy dud bit. The move to the back line.
Won't work. He will be a liability, with his poor recovery;
-no second efforts
-he can't move quick enough to cover another opponent
-and he can't mark either, so no Shinna-type saving grabs.
Robbo and Gilbo love being loose in the backline, so Paddy will be a millstone around their necks.

He seems to be a bring-to-ground-if-no-mark player, forward line that's ok for Gresh or Lonie to crumb.
Down back against Crows, well, Betts will just swoop like a seagull on a hot chip (that's not racist!) and snag a bag

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

BigNote is that pesky annoying kid that everyone loves to hate. He's part of the SS fabric and
our version of Sam Newman. Mods, it's all good fun and just let it go. It's what SS is about.

Anyway, back to Paddy. If he can't clunk marks and kick many goals, he just needs to create contests and have
little Lonie or The Gresh at his feet to shark goal opportunities. That method could work well for all involved

Eventually, we need Paddy to both want AND get the pill himself, but this is step 1

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

If McCartin was doing everything right and wasn't playing very well - then we'd have something to worry about.

But he's doing plenty wrong, and hence has plenty of scope for improvement. Which is generally what happens with young, developing big guys. That's why they take time to develop - because they are too big to be faster than most blokes at AFL level, and they aren't mature enough to be as strong as most blokes at AFL level.

Expecting a big 20yo with only 20 games under his belt to be crashing packs, and playing a traditional 'big man' role, is crazy.

Expecting a big 20yo to run like the wind for 4 quarters is crazy.

He seems to have been around for a while, and I suspect therein lies the cause for concern from some. But in reality, he's only played 20 games and has been hurt a bit.