Paddy Whackas, enough already!!!!!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

To the top
SS Life Member

Re: Paddy Whackas, enough already!!!!!

The resident analyst of McCartin's under performance also presents that Minchington and Sinclair are star AFL midfielders playing in the VFL because they are played out of position in the AFL - and therefore are superior to Steven, Armitage, Ross, Montagna, Riewoldt, Acres, Steele, Gresham and Stevens who has been delayed by illness

Enough said!

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:
Paddy is an 'elite talent' AFL player whom I'd expect to tear it up at the level below.

If he plays another month, I'd not only hope, but expect him to kick 7-10 in a game or two.
I agree to an extent.

7-10 may be slightly unrealistic, due to the nature of modern footy. But, a genuinely big game that hits the scoreboard would be expected in the short to medium term. I say 'medium' term as I think we underestimate the negative impact missing big chunks of footy has had on McCartin's game.

Concussions, hamstrings, collar bones.

The guys we're comparing him to, have already played more games than him!

I think if he gets to play regular footy and puts together games on the trot, I'd expect him to start to have a real influence - particularly at VFL level.

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

We have to move away from this concept of our forwards needing to kick bags of goals. I doesn't work in modern footy - it makes your team one-dimensional. You have literally a team of people who's job is to spend huge amounts of time week after week how to stop guys who put their head above the trenches by kicking bags of goals or playing well. You've got to spread the load everywhere to be sustainably complex on the field and not be easily unpacked.

How may flags did we win with Locket and Roo? We've got to move away from this Big forward goal kicking messiah complex. It will force midfielders to step up and kick goals too. If they see we are struggling on the scoreboard they will have to be more proactive an risk orientated to get goals and Richo should be drumming that into them. Its the teams responsibility to kick goals not the forwards. Dogs did well without huge goal kicking forwards and it made them really hard to unpack.

One of the problems with Roo was he was not good at sharing the ball and setting up other players. He's slow to get it to his foot (smothered on the goal line anyone) and then is pretty chippy with his kicking I have no doubt one of the reasons we picked Paddy is because he is a very good field kick, very clever at picking out targets and hitting them up and bringing others into the game. That will be a huge asset. At them moment he is poor below his knees but I believe he will keep getting better there.

I'm really happy with Paddy's 3 goals. I almost guarantee you he gave goals off. His job is more complex than kicking goals. Like Hawkins he's there to play a key pack splitting role to open things up for others and make defenders think twice which benefits the team.

citywest

Bluthy wrote:We have to move away from this concept of our forwards needing to kick bags of goals. I doesn't work in modern footy - it makes your team one-dimensional. You have literally a team of people who's job is to spend huge amounts of time week after week how to stop guys who put their head above the trenches by kicking bags of goals or playing well. You've got to spread the load everywhere to be sustainably complex on the field and not be easily unpacked.

How may flags did we win with Locket and Roo? We've got to move away from this Big forward goal kicking messiah complex. It will force midfielders to step up and kick goals too. If they see we are struggling on the scoreboard they will have to be more proactive an risk orientated to get goals and Richo should be drumming that into them. Its the teams responsibility to kick goals not the forwards. Dogs did well without huge goal kicking forwards and it made them really hard to unpack.

One of the problems with Roo was he was not good at sharing the ball and setting up other players. He's slow to get it to his foot (smothered on the goal line anyone) and then is pretty chippy with his kicking I have no doubt one of the reasons we picked Paddy is because he is a very good field kick, very clever at picking out targets and hitting them up and bringing others into the game. That will be a huge asset. At them moment he is poor below his knees but I believe he will keep getting better there.

I'm really happy with Paddy's 3 goals. I almost guarantee you he gave goals off. His job is more complex than kicking goals. Like Hawkins he's there to play a key pack splitting role to open things up for others and make defenders think twice which benefits the team.
Hey Bluthy, have you ever studied statement analysis? I know the answer is no because if you had you would not have made the above comment. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I guarantee that you have absolutely no idea whether Paddy gave off any goals. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

What is an almost guarantee?

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
Club Player

Qualifying an absolute is 110% wronhheaded

the invisible and the non existent look very much alike
BigD
Club Player

He lost me at the Sandy game yesterday.
Apart from looking disinterested much of the time that I saw him, terrible body language and little or no second efforts, he took to remonstrating with people in the crowd at least a couple of times.
Standing there and swearing back at the guys on the terrace at the Sautner Goal end with his back to the game when the ball was swept away up the other end.
Nothing too offensive was said to him either. Just normal supporter banter.
He's definitely a long way off....sadly.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

You can't say that

There are protected species at StK?! He is the main one...

Dunstan, Gresham, Hickey and Acres another few

Now Lonie, there's a player you can bag, Gilbert, Brown, now Webster

Don't criticise on what you see, criticise on who you are allowed to...

satchmo
Saintsational Legend

Do you even iron?

Can't criticise players, because you never do that.

*Allegedly.

Bring back Lucky Burgers, and nobody gets hurt.

You can't un-fry things.

Last Post
Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

Paddy should have played seniors today. That would have meant Harry Taylor would have had to have gone back. Now Taylor didn't do much, yet Carlisle had to stand him, meaning we got little offensively from Carlisle. We would have also disrupted Geelong if they had to shift Taylor back. Based on the measure Paddy was dropped, then Membrey should be dropped next week. Not that I personally think he should be dropped, but he has done no more than Paddy in his last 2 games.

Hickey should have also played and we might have been happy tonight.

Then again its becoming apparent that we have a fitness issue as well.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Isn't carlisles job to play on a key forward

Or would the opposition just allow him to take marks in the backline

Carlisle has had the same impact most games

12t
6m

Which is sound

Brown has been a lot better

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

The selectors need to start making a call on whether to include McCartin as a permanent player in the senior lineup or leave him in the VFL. It's just no good bringing him in sporadically. The only way he'll develop now is to give him consistent game time.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
repta
Club Player

BigD wrote:He lost me at the Sandy game yesterday.
Apart from looking disinterested much of the time that I saw him, terrible body language and little or no second efforts, he took to remonstrating with people in the crowd at least a couple of times.
Standing there and swearing back at the guys on the terrace at the Sautner Goal end with his back to the game when the ball was swept away up the other end.

Is that correct? Very very sad if true.

Hope they can get him back on track. Otherwise he is heading for oblivion. A primadonna with an once of natural talent but cant be bothered doing the hard work. The list of AFL players that fill that bill can fill the telephone book.
Shame ... he has some of the hardest workers around him ( harvey, roo...). It wont naturally.

Second efforts take energy. He isn't fit enough and carrying too much weight therefore struggles for second efforts and gets frustrated when not rewarded on first attempt.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Doesn't he have to EARN games like every other player?!

shrodes
SS Life Member

repta wrote:

Hope they can get him back on track. Otherwise he is heading for oblivion. A primadonna with an once of natural talent but cant be bothered doing the hard work. The list of AFL players that fill that bill can fill the telephone book.
Shame ... he has some of the hardest workers around him ( harvey, roo...). It wont naturally.

Second efforts take energy. He isn't fit enough and carrying too much weight therefore struggles for second efforts and gets frustrated when not rewarded on first attempt.
Sad if true. I can't see it though. We've lamented on here Paddy's lack of mongrel, can't imagine the kid arcing up at some crowd members.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

shrodes wrote:
repta wrote:

Sad if true. I can't see it though. We've lamented on here Paddy's lack of mongrel, can't imagine the kid arcing up at some crowd members.
I agree. bulls*** I would think, seeing the coach said he was one of Sandy's better players.