A win

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

ace
Saintsational Legend

Re: A win

saints66 wrote:
Toy Saint wrote:Happy to get the 4 points, albeit an underwhelming performance....we're travelling better than Hawthorn and Sydney...
why compare ourselves with Hawthorn, we want them to come last
Because if Hawthorn come last and we come second last we get to draft No1 and No2

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
stevie
Saintsational Legend

Not sure why some people are calling the Lions shite - they have some gun players, some great youngsters. They were keen as yesty and will not be an easy team to beat until perhaps mid season when injuries and fatigue set in. They had a real crack against us as they did against the Bummers last week.

A very good point about the Perth heat too. I watched the Eagles game v Tiges and they looked pretty flat most the game which didnt help when the rain set in. Even the first qtr of the Suns/Hawks game yesty, the sun was beaming strong with the 440pm kickoff. I was sitting facing it all that first qtr and while it wasn't really hot, it would have been warm on the field for the Hawks. Taking nothing away from the suns who were unbelivably good especially after half time when the game was still in reach of the Hawks. the Sus would've rolled any team i reckon. Their pace and running to postion was brilliant. By the end of the game the Hawks were a shattered, shocked rabble. with Geelong, Eagles and us to play they could well be 0-6

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Lions have a strong midfield (albeit shallow) + Daniel Rich

Then kids, and GOPs

They are a bottom 4 team easily

barneyboyz
Club Player

ace wrote:
Vazelos wrote:Jack Steele and Blake Acres are very good... Gresham is a star.. I am waiting for a look at at Ben Long and Koby Stevens there is some decent talent still to come in and let's not forget Jack Steven and David Armitage to come back.
I'm waiting for a look at our 2017 number one draft pick compliments of Hawthorn.
He is going to be an elite superstar.
How funny would that be?

St. Kilda Football Club. Going strong, since 1960 :wink:
bigred
Saintsational Legend

Should have won by ten goals.

If we played a 5% better team we would have been done like a dinner.

Bad kicking is bad football and after three weeks of it, enough is enough.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

I think the focus on our bad goal kicking is overshadowing how poorly we played overall.

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

TONY do you think Richo has ever considered that his game plan is too taxing for our current list to sustain? They looked really flat yesterday after their huge effort against WCE. We are meant to be the fittest we have ever been but look at times like they are running around in 'gum boots'. Something has to change as even Brisbane owned the centre corridor yesterday!

longtimesaint
Club Player

I think Brisbane is a side on the up with a very strong midfield, and don't forget we had our best in and under midfielder out as well as our best clearance player.
Also if we had just converted the easy shots we would have won by 50 plus points.
Hopefully we put it all together against Collingwood.

One year will be our year
kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

Johnny Member wrote:I think the focus on our bad goal kicking is overshadowing how poorly we played overall.
If we kicked straight we would have won by 8 goals without our two best midfielders.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

37 shots at goal is just not good enough :evil:

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
To the top
SS Life Member

Every side is going to take some beating this season - and in regards Brisbane, it took a masterclass from the former Captain to get us across the line last season in a shoot out where their class mids and a few others saw them score easily

Brisbane beat Gold Coast who have now thrashed Hawthorn

And they were competitive in their other match

In this completion a win is a win so take them and move onto the next week

This week we hopefully welcome back Steven and Armitage which will make us better

Who goes out?

That will be the result of the spread courtesy of the return of those two to the mid field rotations

And I will say again I do not like Bruce rucking - and Carlisle is not an option because he is too valuable to our defence

We need our 3 forwards in Bruce, Membrey and McCartin

So it will be mid sized players under pressure with the return of Steven and Armitage

Plus there is Sandringham performances - albeit in the wind and rain so not on a fast surface

Stats I do not rely on BUT given we did not chip to accrue you could start by looking from the bottom up from the Stats listing

There are a couple of mid sized players there!

IluvHarvey
SS Life Member

tony74 wrote:There are no easy games. Take the win. Will give the boys a lot of confidence.
P.S. For all the doubters out there it is only round 3.
Don't waste your breath Tony.
The world is ending don't you know!

"It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress."
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

As extreme as some skeptics may seem... That is twice as far the other way.

Who has suggested anything as such

What a silly comment

the dome
Club Player

Nathan Burke's observation

Another radio experience of the game for myself bu enjoyed N.Burke commentating, he noted at the end of the game that the Saints are Nb.1 for Inside 50s BUT kicking through the big sticks is deplorable atm. It's got me thinking that perhaps there's no kicking practice going on or very little forward focus on simple kicking for goal, could it be so ?
If the kicking can go up a notch it'll mean more of those inside 5os should convert into 6 pters.
Maybe the guys can regain their mojo for kicking @ goal against those swannie conquering pies @ the Dome.

Every year I look forward to a good performance & perhaps a win against collingwood.
Wishing everyone a happy weekend next weekend. :D

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

IluvHarvey wrote:
tony74 wrote:There are no easy games. Take the win. Will give the boys a lot of confidence.
P.S. For all the doubters out there it is only round 3.
Don't waste your breath Tony.
The world is ending don't you know!
dont be silly - i woke up today and its carry on as normal
it may only be round three - but have you bothered watching any of the other games
The only team below us that are worse than us I would say with any degree of confidence is brisbane -

We would not have beaten the suns if we played them on sunday did you see the way ripped hawthorn apart ?
Pies have been very competitive in their two loses and the win against swans was very Dogs like
Dogs and Swans are probably behind the rest of the comp in preparation but will get rolling - you would almost want to play them now
Blues have got a very good on-ball brigade and are going to improve with games
Did you see the Freo vs Dogs game - it looked like the dockers of 2015
Hawks and Roos have a bit of adjustment this year but they both have good lists and will become more competitive than their current ladder position indicates
Yep we had a ton of scoring opportunities against a backline made up of Brissy kids but the missed shots are just an indication of sloppy effective disposal around the ground in general
Yep its only rnd3 but Each game is important

Seeya
Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

I don't know why people direct angst towards Tony74.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Who directed angst

Why do people think any criticism of the club or players is personal??

The defensive nature suggests an inferiority complex

Seriously

They are footy players, we comment on their performances, that's all

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

I just don't understand why it's directed at Tony74.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

'What about the children?'

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:'What about the children?'
But doesn't the dude just come on here to give an insight into the inner workings at the club?

If people don't agree with it, I don't understand why they shoot the messenger?

Why even debate with the messenger?

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Relax,

No one is attacking Tony, he loves the club, sound like a positive bloke and nice guy at that.... He does sugarcoat, and we could get absolutely molested and he would relay that the coaches and players are bitterly disappointed, but look forward to the next challenge...

It was a win.. A loss would have been interesting?

But it was far from impressive... That's all

twirlyhair
Club Player

MC Gusto wrote:I feel like we are a bunch of good ordinary players. We'll make the finals over the course of the next few seasons but we'll never do much damage...certainly won't win the big one.
Shame but that's how it looks. To win the big dance you need elite talent and I just don't see it in our team.

Gresh could get there. Acres too. Who else? Seriously who? Ross?

Dunno maybe a bit harsh but compare that to the talent the dogs, gws, etc have and where are we? Basically Richmond
So pretty easy to judge and then critize our teams players. However I would love to know what you would do if you were running the club. Details please?

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

twirlyhair wrote:
So pretty easy to judge and then critize our teams players. However I would love to know what you would do if you were running the club. Details please?
We all love stkilda and we all hope that we become the best team in the comp
The best team in the comp is measured by GFs not just having a shot but actually winning them

Tony74 gives an insight which I'm sure most appreciate
But we all bring different insight and perspectives
It's what makes humans what we are & seeing things differently is vitally important

Seeya
kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

twirlyhair wrote:
MC Gusto wrote:I feel like we are a bunch of good ordinary players. We'll make the finals over the course of the next few seasons but we'll never do much damage...certainly won't win the big one.
Shame but that's how it looks. To win the big dance you need elite talent and I just don't see it in our team.

Gresh could get there. Acres too. Who else? Seriously who? Ross?

Dunno maybe a bit harsh but compare that to the talent the dogs, gws, etc have and where are we? Basically Richmond
It involves a time machine.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
Stephen Theodore
SS Hall of Fame

CURLY wrote:
BigMart wrote:Sorry mate,

I want more than a win against a basket case, after a three year rebuild... I want us to be a good team

On what I've seen, that we are not, not by a long stretch... in fact, if you were honest, you'd have to agree that we are disappointing at this point in time
Played in the heat in Perth last week and ran our arse off and clubs have always struggled backing up after Perth trips let alone in the arvo heat. Brisbane are very much up and about like most teams that change coaches early in the season. Not the best effort but over 30 shots on goal showed we clearly had the better of the game.
+ 1