Joey time wasting in goal square

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

BackFromUSA
Saintsational Legend

Re: Joey time wasting in goal square

I know that Joey has said to the contrary and so have others within the club but I don't think it was time wasting or clever or even deliberate at all.

This is how I saw it, but stand to be corrected

As the ball went forward to Joey in the goal square all alone - I swear I heard a whistle. Maybe Joey did too. So he thinks - free to us or free to them? If I play on and kick the goal it could be 50 metres against us - I better look and check. Looks up and realises that it was either a free to us or the umpire has called advantage - but he has stopped. So to indicate that he is still playing on, he does the mini bounce in the square in a low position (to minimise risk the ball can bounce away) and then only when he sees Rockliff approach does he turn and kick the goal. The delay (I believe) was purely to ensure he wouldn't give away 50. The mini bounce wasn't showboating, it was to ensure the umps knew he accepted the call of advantage - if he did not do that - then the umpire MIGHT take the ball back to where the free kick was paid. Smart football. But non of it related to running down the clock or time wasting or being arrogant / cheeky.

AwayInUSA no longer ... have based myself back in Melbourne for a decade of Saintsational Success (with regular trips back to the USA)

"Saintsational Player Sponsor 2007 - 2018"
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

BackFromUSA wrote:I know that Joey has said to the contrary and so have others within the club but I don't think it was time wasting or clever or even deliberate at all.

As the ball went forward to Joey in the goal square all alone - I swear I heard a whistle. Maybe Joey did too. So he thinks - free to us or free to them? If I play on and kick the goal it could be 50 metres against us - I better look and check. Looks up and realises that it was either a free to us or the umpire has called advantage - but he has stopped. So to indicate that he is still playing on, he does the mini bounce in the square in a low position (to minimise risk the ball can bounce away) and then only when he sees Rockliff approach does he turn and kick the goal. The delay (I believe) was purely to ensure he wouldn't give away 50. The mini bounce wasn't showboating, it was to ensure the umps knew he accepted the call of advantage - if he did not do that - then the umpire MIGHT take the ball back to where the free kick was paid. Smart football. But non of it related to running down the clock or time wasting or being arrogant / cheeky.
You really should ban yourself from here and the internets.

There is no time nor place for something as commonsense as this.

Imagine if that was the media "line" from the beginning?

There would be no "story"!!!

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Genies arse

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

What I find interesting was ARs response?

Very emotive, childish and lack of awareness?!

To not know what Joey was doing in that moment, not knowing his player well enough and putting 1 and 1 together was strange.
It was pretty obvious imo, we had momentum, no Brisbane player came to him, why be in a hurry to kick it? Took time off the clock, gave mids a breather, said to the Lions we are in complete control of you and its game over!

Those around me at the time went mad, I told them it was calculated and intended not only to send a message but purposely waste time. It was obvious, Joey is easily our smartest player, and the one from our list that will be a senior coach.

If it was A young player like Lonie showboating, yes, appropriate response

But give a veteran some credit?!

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

BackFromUSA wrote:I know that Joey has said to the contrary and so have others within the club but I don't think it was time wasting or clever or even deliberate at all.

I thought the same thing..to me he was looking at the ump.

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

Just quietly, how good was Steele's shepherd??

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:What I find interesting was ARs response?

To not know what Joey was doing in that moment, not knowing his player well enough and putting 1 and 1 together was strange.
It was pretty obvious imo, we had momentum, no Brisbane player came to him, why be in a hurry to kick it? Took time off the clock, gave mids a breather, said to the Lions we are in complete control of you and its game over!

Those around me at the time went mad, I told them it was calculated and intended not only to send a message but purposely waste time. It was obvious, Joey is easily our smartest player, and the one from our list that will be a senior coach.

Geez you make a lot of assumptions. Maybe you should have been a scientist. Richardson has the cameras on him all the time. He was probably caught up in the emotion of the game and like the rest of us was expecting Joey to run in and kick the goal. Only in hindsight were people coming up with their theories on why he did it. Mark Jackson did it in the 80s but it was an arrogant gesture to the opposition. Do you think it's not a good look by Richardson?

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
Moods
Saintsational Legend

I still cannot believe for a second that Joey is serious and ppl are buying his explanation. It was about 5 seconds of time he bought. 5 seconds. The time was so miniscule it wouldn't have made a dot of difference. It was half way through a quarter. Whilst he is buying 5 seconds of time for us he is also buying 5 seconds for the opposition. 1 Bris player ran at him, the rest were resting as well. It simply defies logic the explanation given. Even IF it was his intention it was ill thought out. Any wonder AR was confused. Once the goal is kicked the players get about 30 sec's to 40 sec rest anyway.

Why the hell would AR have any idea what Joey was doing unless we do stuff like that every week? I have no idea what Joey was doing or thought he was doing but whatever it was it was ridiculous and I reckon AR would have told him don't bother with that again, JUST PLAY THE GAME!

saynta
Saintsational Legend

I can't believe you guys are still discussing this.

IluvHarvey
SS Life Member

Really? To me AR acted as every Coach under the pressure of coaching a team who, due to their own faults (inaccurate kicking) had let an inferior team back into the game, would have.

I commend you for the fact that you always know exactly what is going on. Your football knowledge is far ahead of anyone on this board and apparently our coaching staff.

"It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress."
stevie
Saintsational Legend

why did he need to bounce the ball when he wasn't moving?

Darth Vader
Club Player

stevie wrote:why did he need to bounce the ball when he wasn't moving?
Probably didn't trust the umps. Who can blame him for that?