Billings and mccartin

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Billings and mccartin

Postby ROLS-LEE » Sun 09 Apr 2017 4:28pm

Are they playing?
ROLS-LEE
Club Player
 
Posts: 943
Joined: Tue 25 Sep 2007 3:45am

Re: Billings and mccartin

Postby White Winmar » Sun 09 Apr 2017 4:34pm

Apparently not. Very disappointing. They were our big hopes for major improvement. So far, they are struggling. Weren't they meant to have had super preseasons, especially JB. Rapidly turning into our versions of Watts and Tambling.
Winmar to LOCKETT!!!!!
White Winmar
Saintsational Legend
 
Posts: 4445
Joined: Tue 02 Jun 2009 10:02pm

Re: Billings and mccartin

Postby St.Roly » Sun 09 Apr 2017 5:07pm

I will preface this by noting that I watched the game streamed to my iPad in Phuket.

In the last quarter when Paddy took a low down chest mark, I am confident I heard an ironic cheer.

Very disappointed if it was Saints "supporters". Please, let's not be that type of club.
St.Roly
Club Player
 
Posts: 115
Joined: Mon 12 Sep 2011 6:08pm

Re: Billings and mccartin

Postby IluvHarvey » Sun 09 Apr 2017 5:17pm

St.Roly wrote:I will preface this by noting that I watched the game streamed to my iPad in Phuket.

In the last quarter when Paddy took a low down chest mark, I am confident I heard an ironic cheer.

Very disappointed if it was Saints "supporters". Please, let's not be that type of club.


Yep it was an ironic cheer and it was Saints supporters. Disgusting.
"It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress."
User avatar
IluvHarvey
Club Player
 
Posts: 1889
Joined: Fri 06 Jun 2008 4:51pm
Location: Melbourne

Re: Billings and mccartin

Postby BigMart » Sun 09 Apr 2017 5:20pm

Well perhaps he should work a bit hard

Maybe look at the 35yo with a rooted knee?!

No sympathy, he's meant to be an elite talent... pigs arse
BigMart
Saintsational Legend
 
Posts: 13108
Joined: Sat 22 Mar 2008 6:06pm

Re: Billings and mccartin

Postby whiskers3614 » Sun 09 Apr 2017 5:26pm

BigMart wrote:Well perhaps he should work a bit hard

Maybe look at the 35yo with a rooted knee?!

No sympathy, he's meant to be an elite talent... pigs arse


Maybe when we concede this season's over we could throw him into the backline for a while.
It worked for Barry Lawrence!
whiskers3614
SS Life Member
 
Posts: 3219
Joined: Thu 20 May 2010 11:49pm

Re: Billings and mccartin

Postby The Fireman » Sun 09 Apr 2017 5:27pm

:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:
User avatar
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend
 
Posts: 6117
Joined: Mon 08 Mar 2004 11:54pm

Re: Billings and mccartin

Postby ROLS-LEE » Sun 09 Apr 2017 5:31pm

Today would have been the perfect day for either one to shine. Against a young team they could have exploded. Billings does not look interested and while McCartin tries doesn't give anymore after his first effort.
Both need to spend time in the seconds.
ROLS-LEE
Club Player
 
Posts: 943
Joined: Tue 25 Sep 2007 3:45am

Re: Billings and mccartin

Postby ace » Sun 09 Apr 2017 5:33pm

McCartin
Too inaccurate a kick when he finally gets the ball.
Too slow to get any separation on the lead.
Too short making spoiling by the opposition easy.
Too short to out mark tall key backs.
Type 1 diabetes means he will never have a tank.
He will never be able to exhaust his opponents like Riewoldt.
Will never be able to apply defensive pressure.

I fear that unlike Jack Watts who eventually became an ordinary player at Melbourne when they finally stopped using him as a key forward, McCartin will never be able to play anywhere other than as a key forward due to the lack of a tank.

None of this is his fault and nothing he can do about it.
Many of us were not built to be elite footballers for various reasons.
He was an elite junior footballer, something I could never be.
Last edited by ace on Sun 09 Apr 2017 5:37pm, edited 1 time in total.
The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
User avatar
ace
Saintsational Legend
 
Posts: 6084
Joined: Sun 16 Dec 2007 3:28pm
Location: St Kilda

Re: Billings and mccartin

Postby St.Roly » Sun 09 Apr 2017 5:33pm

BigMart wrote:Well perhaps he should work a bit hard

Maybe look at the 35yo with a rooted knee?!

No sympathy, he's meant to be an elite talent... pigs arse


It has nothing to do with concern for Paddy's feelings. It is, to quote the club's marketing, about "how I want to be".

Hoping to publically humiliate one of your own players is not what I want St.Kilda Football Club to be about. Strength through loyalty should mean something.
St.Roly
Club Player
 
Posts: 115
Joined: Mon 12 Sep 2011 6:08pm

Re: Billings and mccartin

Postby SaintPav » Sun 09 Apr 2017 5:34pm

Draft busts...
User avatar
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend
 
Posts: 8756
Joined: Wed 16 Jun 2010 9:24pm
Location: Alma Road

Re: Billings and mccartin

Postby millarsaint » Sun 09 Apr 2017 5:39pm

LAME AND A BIT DEPRESSING.
Dr Stranger things will happen.
User avatar
millarsaint
Club Player
 
Posts: 1460
Joined: Thu 07 Jan 2010 8:33am
Location: the star man

Re: Billings and mccartin

Postby saints66 » Sun 09 Apr 2017 5:39pm

I read this board every so often I get the impression that the contributors want a premiership. Understandable but to get it you have to stop being sentimental and harden up.W
saints66
Club Player
 
Posts: 287
Joined: Wed 01 Dec 2004 9:04pm

Re: Billings and mccartin

Postby Joffa Burns » Sun 09 Apr 2017 5:45pm

Paddy McLardarse

Took the time to specifically watch Paddy today.
Being a young developing key forward, I do not expect dominance, bags of goals or big pack marks.
But I wouldn't mind seeing the team things such as :
- second efforts after initial contest
- decoy leads
- blocking for team mates
- defensive pressure such as tackling, harassing etc
- some gut running
- didn't see any of above

He is strong at the marking contest but as soon as it hits the ground he is little more than a chubby witches hat.
It's not Paddy's fault he was a no.1 pick, that's the saints issue but I'm tired of watching his lardarse effort or lack thereof.

Get him back to the twos until he can get his fitness and effort up to AFL standard.
User avatar
Joffa Burns
SS Life Member
 
Posts: 2905
Joined: Tue 09 Mar 2004 5:48pm
Location: ...Oh I love quartz, parchment, shears...

Re: Billings and mccartin

Postby saints66 » Sun 09 Apr 2017 5:48pm

I read this board every so often I get the impression that the contributors want a premiership. Understandable but to get it you have to stop being sentimental and harden up. We all love our players but you have to be ruthless and stop being so lovely dovey and sensitive. If you want a premiership you have to be Ok if you dont want to burn people then dont winge about not winning premierships.

It is a ruthless game, always has been

PS I was there in 1966 so I have no axe to grind
saints66
Club Player
 
Posts: 287
Joined: Wed 01 Dec 2004 9:04pm

Re: Billings and mccartin

Postby Joffa Burns » Sun 09 Apr 2017 5:50pm

Paddy McLardarse

Took the time to specifically watch Paddy today.
Being a young developing key forward, I do not expect dominance, bags of goals or big pack marks.
But I wouldn't mind seeing the team things such as :
- second efforts after initial contest
- decoy leads
- blocking for team mates
- defensive pressure such as tackling, harassing etc
- some gut running
- didn't see any of above

He is strong at the marking contest but as soon as it hits the ground he is little more than a chubby witches hat.
It's not Paddy's fault he was a no.1 pick, that's the saints issue but I'm tired of watching his lardarse effort or lack thereof.

Get him back to the twos until he can get his fitness and effort up to AFL standard.
User avatar
Joffa Burns
SS Life Member
 
Posts: 2905
Joined: Tue 09 Mar 2004 5:48pm
Location: ...Oh I love quartz, parchment, shears...

Re: Billings and mccartin

Postby Linton Lodger » Sun 09 Apr 2017 5:56pm

IluvHarvey wrote:
St.Roly wrote:I will preface this by noting that I watched the game streamed to my iPad in Phuket.

In the last quarter when Paddy took a low down chest mark, I am confident I heard an ironic cheer.

Very disappointed if it was Saints "supporters". Please, let's not be that type of club.


Yep it was an ironic cheer and it was Saints supporters. Disgusting.


I didn't hear it, but if true, utterly shameful and digusting from numpties that have no understanding of the game.

Sure Paddy was quiet today, yet I didn't see his opponent take too many marks (they rarely do) or rebound off him. In fact anytime the ball went near Paddy it came to ground. So even when he's having a quiet one, he's still an effective key forward. Then there's the one that fell in Bruce's lap for a goal, after Paddy almost pulled in a pack screamer.

By the way, any club that didn't have a full quota of key forwards on their list, would've taken him at No.1. You want to write him off as a Jack Watts. For a start the only issue with Jack Watts is between his ears. He should be a gun forward. Paddy's fine between the ears, he just needs 5 or 6 games in a row.
Linton Lodger
Club Player
 
Posts: 677
Joined: Mon 18 Aug 2014 2:07pm

Re: Billings and mccartin

Postby The_President » Sun 09 Apr 2017 5:58pm

Joffa Burns wrote:Paddy McLardarse

Took the time to specifically watch Paddy today.
Being a young developing key forward, I do not expect dominance, bags of goals or big pack marks.
But I wouldn't mind seeing the team things such as :
- second efforts after initial contest
- decoy leads
- blocking for team mates
- defensive pressure such as tackling, harassing etc
- some gut running
- didn't see any of above

He is strong at the marking contest but as soon as it hits the ground he is little more than a chubby witches hat.
It's not Paddy's fault he was a no.1 pick, that's the saints issue but I'm tired of watching his lardarse effort or lack thereof.

Get him back to the twos until he can get his fitness and effort up to AFL standard.


When he is deep forward & we're a kick away from home, he just stands still and points to where he wants the ball... but doesn't run.
It's like he wants the player to kick there before he starts running.

Riewoldt would just lead to the space and demand they kick it to him.
The_President
Club Player
 
Posts: 321
Joined: Sun 27 Mar 2016 8:05pm

Re: Billings and mccartin

Postby Linton Lodger » Sun 09 Apr 2017 6:13pm

ace wrote:McCartin
Too inaccurate a kick when he finally gets the ball.
Too slow to get any separation on the lead.
Too short making spoiling by the opposition easy.
Too short to out mark tall key backs.
Type 1 diabetes means he will never have a tank.
He will never be able to exhaust his opponents like Riewoldt.
Will never be able to apply defensive pressure.

I fear that unlike Jack Watts who eventually became an ordinary player at Melbourne when they finally stopped using him as a key forward, McCartin will never be able to play anywhere other than as a key forward due to the lack of a tank.

None of this is his fault and nothing he can do about it.
Many of us were not built to be elite footballers for various reasons.
He was an elite junior footballer, something I could never be.


Each one of your points are nonsense. What on earth are you basing your findings on?

* His kicking for goal hasn't been elite, yet not poor.

* He's actually lightning quick over the first few metres.

* He dropped a few today, but his hands have generally been very good. Yes he does lose the odd contest but NEVER decisively. His opponent rarely takes a mark, rarely gets possesion and runs away or rarely even punches clear of the contest. If Paddy doesn't mark it generally falls in the vicinty of his feet. Then his second efforts are really good.

*Too short, he's about the same height as Plugger. I'm confident that over the course of his career he will make a mockery of your assertion that he cannot outmark opponents. You've got to be joking?

* I'm sure the people running our club now are competent enough to have thoroughly done their due diligence on his medical issues.

I apologise, one of your assertions was spot on. He will never be able to run his opponents into the ground like Riewoldt. Just like most AFL players past and present. But I tell you what, he reads the ball in flight far better than Riewoldt and better than anyone I've seen since the almighty Plugger.
Linton Lodger
Club Player
 
Posts: 677
Joined: Mon 18 Aug 2014 2:07pm

Re: Billings and mccartin

Postby George27 » Sun 09 Apr 2017 6:19pm

Both lads the subject of this thread were very disappointing today, primarily with their lack of effort. Irrespective of where they were picked in the draft ( which is not their fault ), they did not contribute to the team performance today. No second efforts, no gut running. I get no joy from saying it, but in my opinion both must spend next week and beyond at Sandy. I was seated on the Docklands side just above the Saints interchange, and it was telling that both started the last quarter on the bench and remained there for long portions of the quarter.
George27
Club Player
 
Posts: 229
Joined: Tue 22 Dec 2015 7:59pm

Re: Billings and mccartin

Postby Griggsy » Sun 09 Apr 2017 6:22pm

I'd persist with mccartin for the time being, impact or not we are getting a great number of scoring shots so structurally something is right.

Billings was disappointing, even his skills were a let down today. Running through areas where the ball was 2 tackles and 14 disposals? Never on the end of the chain of handpasses. Can't explain what is going on, took a nice mark and for whatever reason gave it to dunstan in a similar position.
User avatar
Griggsy
SS Life Member
 
Posts: 2503
Joined: Mon 21 Jul 2008 1:41am
Location: WA

Re: Billings and mccartin

Postby sainters85 » Sun 09 Apr 2017 6:26pm

paddy will def be good for us in the long run but he will never be riewoldt. Probably more like josh kennedy. Billings on the otherhand needs to be traded. A HUGE mistake. Unfortunately, I never saw it in him and always thought he was overrated such as that bulldogs game where he apparently won the game off his own foot. Actually, in that game, the dogs were out of legs and he had lots of time and space which is the only time he can actually exhibit his "skills."
sainters85
Club Player
 
Posts: 253
Joined: Sat 14 Jun 2014 11:42pm

Re: Billings and mccartin

Postby perfectionist » Sun 09 Apr 2017 6:28pm

The_President wrote:When he is deep forward & we're a kick away from home, he just stands still and points to where he wants the ball... but doesn't run.
It's like he wants the player to kick there before he starts running.

Riewoldt would just lead to the space and demand they kick it to him.


Yep, we all saw it today. With Nick, not only will he lead into space once - he'll do it two or three times if he is ignored. And if that doesn't work, on the next forward move, he'll do it all again. I honestly believe that if he had Geelong (2007) or Hawthorn (2012/13) service, he could have kicked, and could still kick, well over 100 goals a year.
User avatar
perfectionist
Saintsational Legend
 
Posts: 6877
Joined: Mon 30 Jul 2007 3:06pm

Re: Billings and mccartin

Postby saynta » Sun 09 Apr 2017 6:32pm

Linton Lodger wrote:
ace wrote:McCartin
Too inaccurate a kick when he finally gets the ball.
Too slow to get any separation on the lead.
Too short making spoiling by the opposition easy.
Too short to out mark tall key backs.
Type 1 diabetes means he will never have a tank.
He will never be able to exhaust his opponents like Riewoldt.
Will never be able to apply defensive pressure.

I fear that unlike Jack Watts who eventually became an ordinary player at Melbourne when they finally stopped using him as a key forward, McCartin will never be able to play anywhere other than as a key forward due to the lack of a tank.

None of this is his fault and nothing he can do about it.
Many of us were not built to be elite footballers for various reasons.
He was an elite junior footballer, something I could never be.


Each one of your points are nonsense. What on earth are you basing your findings on?

* His kicking for goal hasn't been elite, yet not poor.

* He's actually lightning quick over the first few metres.

* He dropped a few today, but his hands have generally been very good. Yes he does lose the odd contest but NEVER decisively. His opponent rarely takes a mark, rarely gets possesion and runs away or rarely even punches clear of the contest. If Paddy doesn't mark it generally falls in the vicinty of his feet. Then his second efforts are really good.

*Too short, he's about the same height as Plugger. I'm confident that over the course of his career he will make a mockery of your assertion that he cannot outmark opponents. You've got to be joking?

* I'm sure the people running our club now are competent enough to have thoroughly done their due diligence on his medical issues.

I apologise, one of your assertions was spot on. He will never be able to run his opponents into the ground like Riewoldt. Just like most AFL players past and present. But I tell you what, he reads the ball in flight far better than Riewoldt and better than anyone I've seen since the almighty Plugger.


Plugger ......190CM


Roo........... 193CM


McCartin......194CM.
Last edited by saynta on Sun 09 Apr 2017 6:35pm, edited 1 time in total.
saynta
SS Life Member
 
Posts: 3909
Joined: Wed 10 Mar 2004 3:53pm

Re: Billings and mccartin

Postby SaintPav » Sun 09 Apr 2017 6:34pm

Plugger 190?

Errr..no...
User avatar
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend
 
Posts: 8756
Joined: Wed 16 Jun 2010 9:24pm
Location: Alma Road

Next

Return to Saintsational Fan Forum (open to all ages)

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], ROLS-LEE, saintbob, Sainter_Dad, Scoop, supersaints and 33 guests