Billings and mccartin

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Griggsy
SS Life Member

Re: Billings and mccartin

SaintPav wrote:Plugger 190?

Errr..no...

SuperSaint
Club Player

sainters85 wrote:paddy will def be good for us in the long run but he will never be riewoldt. Probably more like josh kennedy. Billings on the otherhand needs to be traded. A HUGE mistake. Unfortunately, I never saw it in him and always thought he was overrated such as that bulldogs game where he apparently won the game off his own foot. Actually, in that game, the dogs were out of legs and he had lots of time and space which is the only time he can actually exhibit his "skills."
That's exactly what I posted in the other Billings thread after the Melb game about his performance against the Bulldogs 'super' game. They had clearly run out of legs and there was stuff all pressure on him in that last quarter. Has had plenty of opportunities to show 'something similar' since then.

Like Con says, and copying an earlier post I made, Billings is a victim of the hype and expectation we place on the highly exposed private school football competition here in Vic, like Watts at Brighton Grammar. As I stated before, too much emphasis is placed on the kids that have affluent backgrounds who excel as juniors in a system that is geared to showcase talent within these inner circles. These kids get 'seen' and talked about more readily on a weekly basis by the influencial circles of the AFL, instead of the kids that have to be noticed in a tougher, harder surburban comp, where the physicality of the game is instilled early (rather than a 'basketball' type of play that the elite schools encourage inadvertently more these days). Your Lockett, Greg Williams type of player would not have been high draft picks in today's standards, as we all know. It's quite apparent too when you watch elite private school footy nowadays. The kids shine at this grade but don't transition as A graders when they are up against others who roam the footy ground like a pack of wolves circling their prey to get the footy. Pretty much skill set takes a back seat when you struggle to win your own ball.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote:Plugger 190?

Errr..no...
Okay sorry.

The official saints records say 191cm.

He was listed at 190 cm when he started playing. Must have grown a centremeter.

To say Paddy is too short is just plain crap.
Last edited by saynta on Sun 09 Apr 2017 6:47pm, edited 1 time in total.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

SuperSaint wrote:
sainters85 wrote:paddy will def be good for us in the long run but he will never be riewoldt. Probably more like josh kennedy. Billings on the otherhand needs to be traded. A HUGE mistake. Unfortunately, I never saw it in him and always thought he was overrated such as that bulldogs game where he apparently won the game off his own foot. Actually, in that game, the dogs were out of legs and he had lots of time and space which is the only time he can actually exhibit his "skills."
That's exactly what I posted in the other Billings thread after the Melb game about his performance against the Bulldogs 'super' game. They had clearly run out of legs and there was stuff all pressure on him in that last quarter. Has had plenty of opportunities to show 'something similar' since then.

Like Con says, and copying an earlier post I made, Billings is a victim of the hype and expectation we place on the highly exposed private school football competition here in Vic, like Watts at Brighton Grammar. As I stated before, too much emphasis is placed on the kids that have affluent backgrounds who excel as juniors in a system that is geared to showcase talent within these inner circles. These kids get 'seen' and talked about more readily on a weekly basis by the influencial circles of the AFL, instead of the kids that have to be noticed in a tougher, harder surburban comp, where the physicality of the game is instilled early (rather than a 'basketball' type of play that the elite schools encourage inadvertently more these days). Your Lockett, Greg Williams type of player would not have been high draft picks in today's standards, as we all know. It's quite apparent too when you watch elite private school footy nowadays. The kids shine at this grade but don't transition as A graders when they are up against others who roam the footy ground like a pack of wolves circling their prey to get the footy. Pretty much skill set takes a back seat when you struggle to win your own ball.

Didnt know that the under 18 AFL competition was a private schoolboy affair.

Thanks for the heads up.

:roll:

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

I got home and watched a bit of Carl/Ess

Weitering is a number 1 pick

Even in the driving rain he looked classy

sainters85
Club Player

saynta wrote:
SuperSaint wrote:

Thanks for the heads up.

the point is the hype surrounding draftees from elite private schools. Billings is the perfect example. On the other hand, theres Clayton Oliver
Last edited by sainters85 on Sun 09 Apr 2017 6:51pm, edited 1 time in total.

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Plugger .....190

Roo........... 193CM

McCartin......194CM.
Ridiculous logic!

Plugger played in an era when 190 was a tall KPP and a time when Mark and kick roles were the norm for a kpp
To even use McLardarse and Plugger in the same thread is an insult.
It's like comparing Billings and George Young

Roo is an aerobic beast, a great competitor and once in a generation player.

Mc Lardarse needs to go back to the twos and learn about team play and effort.
I feel for the kid but he is not up to AFL standard work rate or effort.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

perfectionist wrote:
The_President wrote:When he is deep forward & we're a kick away from home, he just stands still and points to where he wants the ball... but doesn't run.
It's like he wants the player to kick there before he starts running.

Riewoldt would just lead to the space and demand they kick it to him.
Yep, we all saw it today. With Nick, not only will he lead into space once - he'll do it two or three times if he is ignored. And if that doesn't work, on the next forward move, he'll do it all again. I honestly believe that if he had Geelong (2007) or Hawthorn (2012/13) service, he could have kicked, and could still kick, well over 100 goals a year.
You are spot on Pres, lack of work rate.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
suss
Club Player

Paddy might be a Hawkins I reckon - the kind of guy who takes a few years to get going but then becomes a monster. He has a mature head on his shoulders which is a good start.

Billings will be okay. I felt at the time it was wrong to use pick on a half forward flanker when we needed a mid field jet. The response was he could go into the midfield but can you really use such a high pick with evidence that he can? Not sure, but I wouldn't have taken the risk. He still could come good though. We just need to show a little patience.

I'm starting to think we might need to use both first round pick this year though on two mids. We just don't run deep enough to trade both out for one player.

fugazi
Saintsational Legend

I've been trying to defend Billings previously...but today there is no defence.
He's not up to it.

Dunstan was better today at least, but Ben Long for Billings next week, if JB can't show hunger for the fight when the side is under the pump, he can play Magoos.

Embarassing that Joey and Roo had to basically drag us over the line (again)

Jack Steele, also goes missing in the heat, by the way.

Nee!
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Roo 193

Don't reckon

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Really disappointed w these two today.

Reserves action unfortunately let's be honest.

Bring in Long, Sinclair, McKenzie or alike.

Proph3t of egan
Club Player

IluvHarvey wrote:
St.Roly wrote:I will preface this by noting that I watched the game streamed to my iPad in Phuket.

In the last quarter when Paddy took a low down chest mark, I am confident I heard an ironic cheer.

Very disappointed if it was Saints "supporters". Please, let's not be that type of club.
Yep it was an ironic cheer and it was Saints supporters. Disgusting.
Were you at the game?

there was cheer because we started getting some connection in our play and another chance at a goal, something which we were struggling to do.

Just thinking that makes you the 'disgusting' one

Fortius quo Fidelius means Strength through Loyalty. . . I think
saynta
Saintsational Legend

sainters85 wrote:
saynta wrote:
SuperSaint wrote:

Thanks for the heads up.

the point is the hype surrounding draftees from elite private schools. Billings is the perfect example. On the other hand, theres Clayton Oliver

What hype?

The kids get selected judged on their overall performances across all the competitions they play in.

Plus the testing in the draft camps.

The prejudice against private school kids is just that. Prejudice.

Pathetic really.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Anyone comparing MCartin to Roo or Plugger is kidding themselves.
McCartin would kick 150 goals in the Bellarine League every year.
But he isn't AFL standard.
Not a good pick one.
Last edited by Con Gorozidis on Sun 09 Apr 2017 9:55pm, edited 1 time in total.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:Anyone comparing MCartin to Roo or Plugger is entirely delusional.
McCartin would kick 150 goals in Bellarine League.
Big statement con.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Gee there are some clowns around. To suggest players aren't trying shows you know nothing. I watched MCCartin and in most contests he was against two and others three. Ball always came to ground and in dangerous spots. Billings is in between at the moment but should be either deep forward or behind the footy like v Collingwood last season when he destroyed them.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:Anyone comparing MCartin to Roo or Plugger is entirely delusional.
McCartin would kick 150 goals in the Bellarine League every year.
Not a good pick one.
You really do post some garbage.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

sainters85 wrote:
saynta wrote:
SuperSaint wrote:

Thanks for the heads up.

I know where you are going with this but for the record Clary is a Private Schol Boy!

saynta
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Roo 193

Don't reckon
Got any facts to back that up.

All official records, all, state that Roo is 193 cm.

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote:

Don't reckon

Roo can jump taking his reach and height well above 2.10 mt
Paddy can jump but only if these is no jam tin in front of him

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Joffa Burns wrote:

Roo........... 193CM

McCartin......194CM.
Ridiculous logic!

Plugger played in an era when 190 was a tall KPP and a time when Mark and kick roles were the norm for a kpp

English not your first language?

All that post contains are three names and their heights. no comparisons.

I posted that in answer to 2 posts, one saying that plugger and Paddy were the same height where clearly they are not.

The other post stated that Paddy was too short to be a full forward/key position player. Clearly he is not. Too short that is.

I also don't need a lecture from you re Roo's ability.

That's the second time you have used derogatory language to describe a post from me.

You on the other hand call yourself a supporter but use words like lardarse to describe a young Saints player.

I hope Paddy makes you and his other detractors eat their words.

In any event i will be reminding them

Disgraceful language imho and not to be soon forgotten or forgiven.
Last edited by saynta on Mon 10 Apr 2017 10:54am, edited 1 time in total.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Joffa Burns wrote:
saynta wrote:

Don't reckon

Roo can jump taking his reach and height well above 2.10 mt
Paddy can jump but only if these is no jam tin in front of him
He is still listed at 193cm so what's your point?

Another disgraceful comment in relation to Paddy.

What, did he cut your lunch or something?

The OtherThommo
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote:Gee there are some clowns around. To suggest players aren't trying shows you know nothing. I watched MCCartin and in most contests he was against two and others three. Ball always came to ground and in dangerous spots. Billings is in between at the moment but should be either deep forward or behind the footy like v Collingwood last season when he destroyed them.
Wise comments, Curls.

What stood out today was without Jack No 1 we're as slow as treacle. We had no-one to bust up the game.

We went early on our proximity to high performance, and thought we'd cement it it Brown and Carlisle in key defence posts. Having said that, Carlisle was good all day, and Brown, again, did what we acauired him to do.

But, what we've put around them is flair moderation, and now we look completely different to the 2nd half of last year, when we could turn the other sides around with speed and quick ball movement.

At the start of the last 1/4 today, it was clear we decided to kick long and deep from the midfield. And, they did.

But, for at least the first 5 forward entries, when we kicked deep, the players up forward were leading to places that said they were on another page.

There was FA cohesion for most of the day - jeeazarse it was frustrating to watch.

I appreciate people's frustrations about McCartin and Billings but, for criminey's sake, we and everybody else knows they can play, but they look lost. Who torched their football talent?

For mine, we look like a side who is currently celebrating 'apparent effort' for the sake of it, lack cohesion, the game plan seems all over the shop, and we're failing to recognise the reasons why.

If we're going to bring the likes of Carlisle and Brown on board, we have to put some speed and adventure around them - we haven't.

If we're going to bring in more hard bodied midfielders along, we have to consider the balance - we haven't.

At 5 consecutive centre bounces in the 3rd 1/4 we had no-one on the wing on the Victory Room side - but they did.

We're disorganised, generally, and who is responsible for that?

'I have no new illusions, and I have no old illusions' - Vladimir Putin, Geneva, June 2021
saint-stu
Club Player

saynta wrote:
Joffa Burns wrote:

Roo........... 193CM

McCartin......194CM.
Ridiculous logic!

English not your first language?

All that post contains are three names and their heights. no comparisons.

I posted that in answer to 2 posts, one saying that plugger and Paddy were the came height where clearly they are not.

The other post stated that Paddy was too short to be a full forward/key position player. Clearly he is not. Too short that is.

I also don't need a lecture from you re Roo's ability.

That's the second time you have used derogatory language to describe a post from me.

You on the other hand call yourself a supporter but use words like lardarse to describe a young Saints player.

I hope Paddy makes you and his other detractors eat their words.

In any event i will be reminding them

Disgraceful language imho and not to be soon forgotten or forgiven.
Have to agree with saynta here. Really poor calling a young player a name such as that.

And for those doubting the bronx cheer. I was at the game and it was very clear. Really classy some of our supporters.

1ac46a38