Billings and mccartin

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Re: Billings and mccartin

BigMart wrote:As expected, not much between them... maybe CP slightly ahead

But then again, MAV is 4 years and 70 games his senior.... at the same age, no comparison... as the case will be when CP is 25
Not quite sure what point you are trying to make here… Mav was de-listed, overooked by all 18 clubs for a main list position and was thrown a rookie lifeline… he isn't good enough to play midfield and is borderline best 22 of an average side at 25.

Petracca is going to be very good as I said initially, but you of all people should see how unaccountable he is at present.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Are we down playing MAV now? A guy in our leadership group??

If CP trends up from 2 goals per game and 20... accountability will be the problem of his opponents

dragit
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Are we down playing MAV now? A guy in our leadership group??

If CP trends up from 2 goals per game and 20... accountability will be the problem of his opponents
BigMart wrote:Mav is a long way from established, he's been a good role player but has not consistently contibuted during games, although has had good games, and made an impact forward of the ball, and tagging the year prior.

I think Mav would have hoped to be a mid, but is not quite good enough.
Petracca was talked up as a once in a generation player, so I have no idea why you would be drawing comparison to a guy that you don't rate as being good enough to play midfield at AFL level at 25 years of age… of course Patracca is going to be a better player… but at the moment he is breezing around packs looking for cheapies.

stonecold
SS Life Member

BigMart wrote:I just did a player comparison between CP and Paddy

Same age, both generally played forward... both played 20 games.... one has done a knee, the other had concussion and other injuries.

As a saints fan, probably don't go and have a look, it's not great reading.
Jesus BigMart, for a bloke that likes to blow his own trumpet, you have no f****** idea, on one hand your talking Paddy down on the other taking Jack Watts up,.carnt have your cake and
Eat it too!!!!!

I think we all know by now that you hate Paddy, fine, but.for the sake of everyone else, move on, Mr Veitnam!!!!!

'Cause StoneCold Said So'!!!!!

We will be great again once Billy is back playing!!!!!

The 'Last Post', it's the gift that keeps giving 📯📯📯📯📯
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

I hate Paddy?

Cmon man, get a grip? I don't even know the fellow??

I make comments purely on football output.... why are you so outraged when someone makes a footy related critique of a professional footballer who plays at the club then support?? It's not personal, it's football!!

Perhaps phone the club and abuse AR for dropping him, obviously he wasn't happy with Paddys output?!

Jack Watts???

Oh, because I said he took a few contested marks... therefore I called him a gum
Hmm, ok... fair enough

Btw
Were Melbourne supporters fair enough to criticise Jack early doors?
As did every other supporter

stonecold
SS Life Member

Your either a PaddyWhacka or you just love Christian too much!!!!!

You've made your point and right to do so, but for f*** sake, move on and bring some positivity like a true saint would!!!!!

Strength through loyalty, remember that at all?????

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

True saint???

FFS

A true saint follows the club through thick and thin, buys a membership, and wants them to win...

But is also free to comment on reality, I don't buy into believing what is not the case... hopefully the coaches and players don't either?

It is laughable that you suggest I'm not a loyal supporter. I started supporting Stk in their darkest days.... and been a consistent poster here since 2001
I am as hardcore a supporter as you get, ask my wife.... who hates Football, StK and during games - ME!!!

stonecold
SS Life Member

Don't know your wife, but can feel her pain!!!!!

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

What you hate StK too??

satchmo
Saintsational Legend

stonecold wrote:Don't know your wife, but can feel her pain!!!!!

*Allegedly.

Bring back Lucky Burgers, and nobody gets hurt.

You can't un-fry things.

Last Post
stonecold
SS Life Member

satchmo wrote:
stonecold wrote:Don't know your wife, but can feel her pain!!!!!
+1

stonecold
SS Life Member

BigMart wrote:What you hate StK too??

There you go again, Assuming, not good for your health my friend!!!!!

Joe Bloggs
Club Player

Can someone post the Paddy article by Mark Robinson. Please. tonight's Herald sun .

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Oh, you hate me... please no, not a stranger I've never met, never will... who doesn't like me...

But I need validation from you.... you're simply that important!

Question
You really have strong feelings about an anonymous person, you know nothing about... other than he's disappointed in the current output of a young key forward (and Billings whom you don't mention?)

You need to consider that... me, I don't care what you think, and really what you say
I'll debate it, because it's easy... but it doesn't bother me..

You are irrelevant to me

saynta
Saintsational Legend

stonecold wrote:
BigMart wrote:I just did a player comparison between CP and Paddy

Same age, both generally played forward... both played 20 games.... one has done a knee, the other had concussion and other injuries.

As a saints fan, probably don't go and have a look, it's not great reading.
Jesus BigMart, for a bloke that likes to blow his own trumpet, you have no f****** idea, on one hand your talking Paddy down on the other taking Jack Watts up,.carnt have your cake and
Eat it too!!!!!

I think we all know by now that you hate Paddy, fine, but.for the sake of everyone else, move on, Mr Veitnam!!!!!
Tut tut Stoney. I before e except after c.
Yeah yeah, there are some exceptions but Vietnam is not one of them.

satchmo
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Oh, you hate me... please no, not a stranger I've never met, never will... who doesn't like me...

But I need validation from you.... you're simply that important!

Question
You really have strong feelings about an anonymous person, you know nothing about... other than he's disappointed in the current output of a young key forward (and Billings whom you don't mention?)

You need to consider that... me, I don't care what you think, and really what you say
I'll debate it, because it's easy... but it doesn't bother me..

You are irrelevant to me

*Allegedly.

Bring back Lucky Burgers, and nobody gets hurt.

You can't un-fry things.

Last Post
Playon
Club Player

Joe Bloggs wrote:Can someone post the Paddy article by Mark Robinson. Please. tonight's Herald sun .
Paddy McCartin is yet to deliver at AFL level but did the Saints err in picking him No.1
MARK ROBINSON, Herald Sun
April 15, 2017 6:00pm
Subscriber only

PADDY McCartin and St Kilda would be thinking that maybe this is not turning out as it should.

Two years and four games into his career, the No.1 draft pick was axed for Sunday’s clash against Collingwood.

When they drafted McCartin, the forward, ahead of Christian Petracca, the midfielder, the hope was he would be a weapon for the Saints in games like this, not a player huddled in the grandstand looking on. Not two years on.

Saints coach Alan Richardson didn’t have choice other than to boot McCartin from this week’s team after a lacklustre performance in a winning team the week before.

In fact, Richardson clearly was disappointed in McCartin’s output against the Lions.

McCartin spent 26 minutes on the ground in the second half last week, the fewest by any non-injured player in a half this year.
Paddy McCartin in action for Sandringham. Picture: Mark Dadswell

As a result, the biggest positional change was Nick Riewoldt. Riewoldt spent 64 per cent of game-time on the wing in the first half and 79 per cent of game-time forward in the second half.

Not for the first time, Richardson went for St Nick ahead of St Pat in the forward line.

It’s not an emergency situation with McCartin, for he is 21 in a week and played just 19 games.

But there is a sense of impatience despite the awareness of McCartin’s concussion history.

That comes with expectation as the No.1 draft pick. Because if McCartin was taken at pick No.46, this column would not be written.

But he is No.1. And the Saints took him ahead of Petracca.

And the Saints took Jack Billings (No.3) ahead of Marcus Bontempelli (No.4) in the 2013 national draft.

And if we wanted to be blunt, the Saints have McCartin and Billings when they could’ve had Bontempelli and Petracca.
Paddy McCartin has had his issues with concussion.

That argument, while thought-provoking for Saints fans, is a little premature in regards to McCartin.

In many aspects, he is a carbon copy of Geelong’s Tom Hawkins at the same time. Big bodied. Good hands. Average tank. Struggled early.

At the same time of their careers, McCartin’s numbers are not as strong as Hawkins’ numbers, but as the Cats did with Tommy, the Saints will do with Patty.

That’s be patient.

Not everyone is. Danny Frawley, who also happens to work at St Kilda, says McCartin doesn’t compete hard enough. “He’s got to get more competitive, it’s as simple as that,” Frawley said. “That’s his DNA - compete.”

Former Saints midfielder Nick Dal Santo said: “He hasn’t shown enough for me. I’d like to see more progress in his game.”

The move from unders to senior football is akin to walking normally through airports and walking on moving walkways at airports.

Everything is the same, but it’s a step too quick and it’s one of the reasons why less-athletic key forwards struggle for possessions early in their careers. That an inexperience.

The point is rookie mids can latch on to some easy ball. Rookie key forwards rely on their hands.

It just doesn’t come easy.

At Geelong, when the coaches were wanting more young a young Hawkins, Cameron Mooney would urge patience. He could see the talent. It eventually worked out as Hawkins was able to grow and develop into a largely stay-at-home forward who marked the ball.

Former coach Terry Wallace likes the comparison.

“For every knock on where he is at the moment, you can sit there and ask: ‘Was Tom Hawkins that far ahead of him at the same time’? Was Jack Watts that far ahead of him at the same time?

“But that doesn’t come with a money-back guarantee that he becomes Tom Hawkins.’’

Back to the draft, and this is not helpful for the Saints or McCartin, but already questions are being asked about McCartin ahead of Petracca.

One argument is McCartin would be needed to replace Riewoldt and that if they took another midfielder, how in the hell would they get a key forward down the track. The Bulldogs paid $6 million for Tom Boyd. What would the Saints pay if they had to pay for one?

Anyhow, history tells us gun key forwards are secured with early draft picks and that with Billings taken the year before, it was wise to go with McCartin with pick No.1.

The other argument is the Saints got it wrong.

“I always do phantom drafts and that year I could not believe St Kilda picked him ahead of Christian Petracca,’’ Wallace said. “I could not believe with the power Petracca had, where he sat, I thought comfortably Petracca was the No.1 in the national draft.’’

Still, Wallace said the securing of a key position avoided a situation where the Saints would have to ‘’sell the farm’’ to recruit one, ala Boyd.

That McCartin was dropped this weekend adds another layer to the pressure on him - and Richardson.

The Saints want him to get fitter, want him to lose weight, and last week against the Lions, he was ordinary.

Richardson needs to lay down the law and at the same time offer encouragement, and will have to ask question after question over the coming weeks about whether Patty is playing or not.

The pressure grows as does the impatience, and if they continue to grow, so will the argument about McCartin v Petracca.

As always, time will tell who is the winner
Last edited by Playon on Sat 15 Apr 2017 11:06pm, edited 1 time in total.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Cmon saynta

apparently I hate Paddy? He can abuse me regardless of how he spells it?!

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Joe Bloggs wrote:Can someone post the Paddy article by Mark Robinson. Please. tonight's Herald sun .
Why. He doesn't say anything that hasnt been said on here.

Anyway he is a fat baldheaded dropkick and not a saints fan in any shape or form.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Cmon saynta

:lol:

I have a ruler, anytime you guys want to flop it out, I will be ready.

I like both of you by the way. :D

stonecold
SS Life Member

saynta wrote:

Anyway he is a fat baldheaded dropkick and not a saints fan in any shape or form.
Maybe he's user is BigMart?????

<<<...MOD EDIT. POSTER WARNED FOR BAITING...>>>

stonecold
SS Life Member

saynta wrote:
BigMart wrote:Cmon saynta

:lol:

I have a ruler, anytime you guys want to flop it out, I will be ready.

I like both of you by the way. :D
Offered him a challenge, but he won't except!!!!!

saynta
Saintsational Legend

stonecold wrote:
saynta wrote:

Maybe he's user is BigMart?????
I wouldn't think so.

Dispite what you think, BM posts some intelligent thoughts on football.

Something that would be foreign to Robbo.

stonecold
SS Life Member

Haha, Robbo talks himself down too, not like the other Bloke!!!!!

Myron Gaines
Club Player

Let's be honest. Paddy is overweight, lacks the athletic requirement for professional sport & is dwindling away in the reserves. He looks like a country ammos footballer ffs. That's enough for me to be disappointed.

I reckon the only bloke in Australia that would've picked Paddy at number 1 is Trout & he convinced the club to pick him & overlook the clear best talent in the draft - Pettraca. Not Paddy's fault but Trout is lucky to hold his job.