Jaeger. The one that got away?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Re: Jaeger. The one that got away?

He would've fitted in really well back in the 80's at the Saints Disco with the movie star looks and that hair that makes me so bloody jealous

He's a young man that seemed to have the commitment and the talent to win many best player awards. I think he was at the cusp of becoming one the most influential players in AFL a few years ago and probably one of the best midfielders. I hope the Hawks are still struggling, but for his sake I hope he gets back to the form that he had prior to his serious injury.

Vazelos
Club Player

It's trench warfare out there, I only care about Saints players. I have no interest in him what so ever.

ace
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote:
Vazelos wrote:
Sainter_Dad wrote:
Bluthy wrote:Finding it really ghoulish the way several people here are taking great delight in a young mans injury troubles. Like Freeman, why don't you be half decent and give him a couple of years to try and get back to full capacity before gloating so much.
It is not directed at Jaeger, it is directed at the Hawks fans - I had one at work who continually gloated about getting Jaeger and therefore, he would immediately get on the park with Mitchell and that they would take the place of Lewis and Mitchell, Hawthorn would contend for the 2017 flag, and "all would be right with the world" after all "We did it with Burgoyne whose knees were in worse shape than Jaegers". He has left the job - but I wish I could remind him of the claim when we use/trade their first rounder.

Hawks fans are outrageously arrogant & bullish, understandable being the Premier club in the last 50 years with 3 amazing eras of Premiership success.
This last era of 4 premiership successes required many things to go well & you need some luck as well.
Hodge & Franklin over looked at the draft by other clubs.
The punt on Burgoyne & his dodgy knee- Some Hawks supporters were crying that they had picked a crock.
Players like Brian Lake to become available when they were desperate to cover Trent Croad, perfect fit & whilst you may have the capacity to get such a player they need to be available when you need them.
I think they started thinking they were a little bullet proof & time will tell with O Meara.
If it comes off they will be lauded as geniuses once again.
I can understand people enjoying their current plight, 10 years on top takes its toll on others.

Hodge was the no1 draft pick. He wasn't overlooked by anyone.
Fremantle originally had pick 1 for the 2001 draft.
They traded away picks 1, 20 & 36 for Luke McPharlin and Trent Croad.
They gave Croad back to Hawthorn in return for pick 10 (Ryley Dunn) in the 2003 draft.

I think it is fair to say Fremantle overlooked 3 off Hodge, Ball, Judd, Bartel, Dal Santo, James Kelly, Maguire, Steve Johnson, Sam Mitchell and Montagna by trading away those draft picks. They took Graham Polak with pick 4 and then did not pick again until pick 52 (51st actual pick).
Early 2nd and 3rd picks may equate to McPharlin and Dunn.
They gave Hawthorn the choice of Hodge, Ball or Judd for nothing.

Overlooking is way too mild a word for what they did.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
saynta
Saintsational Legend

ace wrote:
saynta wrote:
Vazelos wrote:
Sainter_Dad wrote:
Bluthy wrote:Finding it really ghoulish the way several people here are taking great delight in a young mans injury troubles. Like Freeman, why don't you be half decent and give him a couple of years to try and get back to full capacity before gloating so much.
It is not directed at Jaeger, it is directed at the Hawks fans - I had one at work who continually gloated about getting Jaeger and therefore, he would immediately get on the park with Mitchell and that they would take the place of Lewis and Mitchell, Hawthorn would contend for the 2017 flag, and "all would be right with the world" after all "We did it with Burgoyne whose knees were in worse shape than Jaegers". He has left the job - but I wish I could remind him of the claim when we use/trade their first rounder.

Hawks fans are outrageously arrogant & bullish, understandable being the Premier club in the last 50 years with 3 amazing eras of Premiership success.
This last era of 4 premiership successes required many things to go well & you need some luck as well.
Hodge & Franklin over looked at the draft by other clubs.
The punt on Burgoyne & his dodgy knee- Some Hawks supporters were crying that they had picked a crock.
Players like Brian Lake to become available when they were desperate to cover Trent Croad, perfect fit & whilst you may have the capacity to get such a player they need to be available when you need them.
I think they started thinking they were a little bullet proof & time will tell with O Meara.
If it comes off they will be lauded as geniuses once again.
I can understand people enjoying their current plight, 10 years on top takes its toll on others.

Hodge was the no1 draft pick. He wasn't overlooked by anyone.
Fremantle originally had pick 1 for the 2001 draft.
They traded away picks 1, 20 & 36 for Luke McPharlin and Trent Croad.
They gave Croad back to Hawthorn in return for pick 10 (Ryley Dunn) in the 2003 draft.

I think it is fair to say Fremantle overlooked 3 off Hodge, Ball, Judd, Bartel, Dal Santo, James Kelly, Maguire, Steve Johnson, Sam Mitchell and Montagna by trading away those draft picks. They took Graham Polak with pick 4 and then did not pick again until pick 52 (51st actual pick).
Early 2nd and 3rd picks may equate to McPharlin and Dunn.
They gave Hawthorn the choice of Hodge, Ball or Judd for nothing.

Overlooking is way too mild a word for what they did.
I don't need a history lesson mate. I know all of that but face facts, Hodge was the no1 draft pick. To say he was overlooked by anyone is stretching things a bit far.

Yep, Freo swapped the no 1 draft pick but who that was going to be was left up to the Hawks.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

JOM has injured his Paetlla Tendon again!

"It's a new injury, different to what he had before," he said, referring to the injury that kept him out of the 2015 and 2016 seasons when he played for Gold Coast.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-06-20/n ... n-in-peril

Add that to his new bone bruising injury and it is along term pattern now of one new injury after another.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:JOM has injured his Paetlla Tendon again!

"It's a new injury, different to what he had before," he said, referring to the injury that kept him out of the 2015 and 2016 seasons when he played for Gold Coast.

Add that to his new bone bruising injury and it is along term pattern now of one new injury after another.
But who is to say that we could not have got it right - Collingwood stuffed it up with Freeman - we may have achieved better with JOM (not saying that I wanted him - the reward for us of him going to Hawthorn was far too high)

It is impossible to look at a sliding doors moment and know that we dodged a bullet.

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
Goose is king
SS Hall of Fame

Poor kid. What a shame, he could of been anything. Can anyone remember how long his contact was for and at what $?

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Goose is king wrote:Poor kid. What a shame, he could of been anything. Can anyone remember how long his contact was for and at what $?
$800,000 a year. Maybe 2 years. Wasn't long term.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Sainter_Dad wrote:

But who is to say that we could not have got it right - Collingwood stuffed it up with Freeman - we may have achieved better with JOM (not saying that I wanted him - the reward for us of him going to Hawthorn was far too high)

It is impossible to look at a sliding doors moment and know that we dodged a bullet.
Maybe but what are the odds? If he has a chronic structural problem with his knee then our medical team would not have been able to produce a miracle cure.
Chances are the exact same issue would have happened.
I think the hawks were delusional and started believing they were infallible miracle workers.
They have choked on their own bathwater imo.
Just classic hubris after a period of sustained success.

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
Sainter_Dad wrote:

Maybe but what are the odds? If he has a chronic structural problem with his knee then our medical team would not have been able to produce a miracle cure.
Chances are the exact same issue would have happened.
I think the hawks were delusional and started believing they were infallible miracle workers.
They have choked on their own bathwater imo.
Just classic hubris after a period of sustained success.
I feel sorry for JOM but not sorry for the dawks!

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!