Jaeger. The one that got away?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

damienc
Club Player

Jaeger. The one that got away?

Whatever happens to us in 2017, our off season is going to be pretty interesting or not.

The 'or not' applies of course if we come up empty handed. Without a solitary big name free agent. And that is a possibility. Maybe even a probability.

But we are primed and ready as we will ever be to land a big fish who becomes a free agent at the end of 2017 and is eligible for recruitment.

Everyone on this forum knows who we are interested in and likely to chase. Landing them is going to be another story. And maybe a story without a happy ending for St Kilda.

We were supposedly into Jaeger in a big way but got cold feet after his medical assessment.

Hawthorn took the punt and bet the farm on Jaeger. Now it looks very much like their investment will pay off big time. Talent wise you would have to put Jaeger in the same bracket as Fyfe, Dusty and Kelly. I would.

No one who is fair minded likes to see a super talent unable to play to his potential because of injury. Jaeger seems to have put his injury behind him and is currently in superlative form.

I am not criticising the club for failing to recruit Jaeger. I personally just think it would have been great to see him win 30 plus touches and have a huge influence while playing in a St Kilda jumper.

The pressure is now on to well and truly land a big name. Let's all hope we do.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Re: Jaeger. The one that got away?

Hawthorn are 0 - 2 and have just lost Hill, Mitchell, Lewis, picks 14, 36, 54, 72, both first and second round picks for 2017.

O'Meara had 6 kicks & 1 tackle in his second game in 2.5 years.

damienc
Club Player

dragit wrote:Hawthorn are 0 - 2 and have just lost Hill, Mitchell, Lewis, picks 14, 36, 54, 72, both first and second round picks for 2017.

O'Meara had 6 kicks & 1 tackle in his second game in 2.5 years.

Yes. Six kicks and 30 handballs equals 36 touches. In the interests of accuracy.

Griggsy
SS Life Member

Perhaps but we already had our injury project player in freeman that many think we overpaid for. If we doubled down on the risk with jaeger there may have been a lynch mob down at seaford if it didn't work. Happy to have 2 1st rounders this year.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

When he's got through two or three season of high output without a serious knee related injury - then maybe it will be fair to say he's put his injury behind him. As it is - I'm very pleased he's not on our list.

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

Griggsy wrote:Perhaps but we already had our injury project player in freeman that many think we overpaid for. If we doubled down on the risk with jaeger there may have been a lynch mob down at seaford if it didn't work. Happy to have 2 1st rounders this year.
Big difference with Freeman tho who's basically been out of the game for three years
Freeman never had the runs on the board that jeager has
The deals hawthorn have made is not Jeager fault

And this is the biggy Jeager is actually playing in 2017.

Seeya
Playon
Club Player

st.byron wrote:When he's got through two or three season of high output without a serious knee related injury - then maybe it will be fair to say he's put his injury behind him. As it is - I'm very pleased he's not on our list.
Well he was definitely the player we needed, but was too much of a gamble, and one we couldn't afford to lose

samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

Playon wrote:
Well he was definitely the player we needed, but was too much of a gamble, and one we couldn't afford to lose
+1 Too risky, I agree.
Was Treloar a possible get? -- he's a player we could have used; one that carried much less of a risk.
He's been in stellar form.

Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

You should have heard Robert Walls' interesting assessment of O'Meara, he pointed out O'Meara's substantial preference to handball. So it appears that O'Meara is lacking confidence in his leg and perhaps is limited by it. Walls queried whether Hawthorn had picked up a young player with a 29 year old's body?

We were right into him and walked away for a very good reason.

Also, Walls' view was that not many of O'Meara's many possesions actually hurt the opponent.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

We could get a player that is better than all of the above without giving up a single pick this year, but apparently we're not interested. :shock:

Round 2 is probably a little too early to say if the O'Meara gamble has paid off, like byron said, let's see 2-3 years of A grade output first.

Treloar cost Collingwood two years of first rounders - 5 & 7, I hope we go to the draft with our 2 first rounders this year and grow a pair about free agency.

Playon
Club Player

samoht wrote: +1 Too risky, I agree.
Was Treloar a possible get? -- he's a player we could have used; one that carried much less of a risk.
He's been in stellar form.
Wouldn't of had the picks available, that was the year we got Carlisle and Gresham. Collingwood traded 2 1st rounders and 62. He also requested to be traded to the pies. We would've missed out on Gresham, plus we traded our future 2nd for freeman and was left with 14, 45, 68, 81, 99 and 117.

14 used for Gresham

samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

Playon wrote: Wouldn't of had the picks available (for Treloar) , that was the year we got Carlisle and Gresham.
Collingwood traded pick 8 plus a player. He also requested to be traded to the pies. We would've missed out on Gresham, plus we traded our future 2nd for freeman and was left with 14, 45, 68, 81, 99 and 117.
14 used for Gresham
Thanks for that, Playon.
I'm more than happy with Gresham for pick 14 - and Carlisle.

Playon
Club Player

dragit wrote:We could get a player that is better than all of the above without giving up a single pick this year, but apparently we're not interested. :shock:

Round 2 is probably a little too early to say if the O'Meara gamble has paid off, like byron said, let's see 2-3 years of A grade output first.

Treloar cost Collingwood two years of first rounders - 5 & 7, I hope we go to the draft with our 2 first rounders this year and grow a pair about free agency.
I don't know that Dusty is done and dusted yet. If were not interested we've already got something up our sleeve, otherwise why say no this early

Playon
Club Player

samoht wrote:
Playon wrote: Wouldn't of had the picks available (for Treloar) , that was the year we got Carlisle and Gresham.
Collingwood traded pick 8 plus a player. He also requested to be traded to the pies. We would've missed out on Gresham, plus we traded our future 2nd for freeman and was left with 14, 45, 68, 81, 99 and 117.
14 used for Gresham
Thanks for that, Playon.
I'm more than happy with Gresham for pick 14 - and Carlisle.
That was an earlier offer (re Treloar) it ended up being the 2 first rounders and 62

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

Jaeger 37 possessions . Freeman nil. We got it wrong. The defence rests.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

Mitchell and Jaeger got 75 possessions between them on the weekend in a losing side. How did our midfield go? If we'd got Mitchell, Jaeger and Vickery, we'd have creamed ourselves. Instead we got Steele, Brown and Stevens. It's why we have one flag and they have 13. They may have to wait a couple of years for their next one, but they are closer than we are,

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Jaegermeister is a spud.

30 handballs only 6 kicks. WTF???

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Beno88
SS Hall of Fame

This forum is becoming more comical by the day. I keep reading posts on here then looking out the window, but no, the sky isn't falling.

Griggsy
SS Life Member

saintspremiers wrote:Jaegermeister is a spud.

30 handballs only 6 kicks. WTF???
Yup, if that means you're destined to be a great player off the back of just one such performance then we had one of the true greats of the game in clint jones.

Griggsy
SS Life Member

sunsaint wrote:
Griggsy wrote:Perhaps but we already had our injury project player in freeman that many think we overpaid for. If we doubled down on the risk with jaeger there may have been a lynch mob down at seaford if it didn't work. Happy to have 2 1st rounders this year.
Big difference with Freeman tho who's basically been out of the game for three years
Freeman never had the runs on the board that jeager has
The deals hawthorn have made is not Jeager fault

And this is the biggy Jeager is actually playing in 2017.
Point was more that the risk would still exist for this club if we had two players that are coming back from very long term injuries. Hawks paid pick 10 and a future second rounder which could be a fairly high pick in that round. If we made a similar trade that would be 3 draftees missed combined between both with no guarantees that they deliver.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

O'Meara is a very good footballer, but so is Ablett and the Suns have already blown 6 million on a guy who has no loyalty and can't wait to escape Q'ld.

Bet they wouldn't do the deal if they had their time over.

Be very wary of mercenaries is my advice.

Also not sure we cooled on Jaeger or he cooled on us.

twirlyhair
Club Player

damienc wrote:Whatever happens to us in 2017, our off season is going to be pretty interesting or not.

The 'or not' applies of course if we come up empty handed. Without a solitary big name free agent. And that is a possibility. Maybe even a probability.

But we are primed and ready as we will ever be to land a big fish who becomes a free agent at the end of 2017 and is eligible for recruitment.

Everyone on this forum knows who we are interested in and likely to chase. Landing them is going to be another story. And maybe a story without a happy ending for St Kilda.

We were supposedly into Jaeger in a big way but got cold feet after his medical assessment.

Hawthorn took the punt and bet the farm on Jaeger. Now it looks very much like their investment will pay off big time. Talent wise you would have to put Jaeger in the same bracket as Fyfe, Dusty and Kelly. I would.

No one who is fair minded likes to see a super talent unable to play to his potential because of injury. Jaeger seems to have put his injury behind him and is currently in superlative form.

I am not criticising the club for failing to recruit Jaeger. I personally just think it would have been great to see him win 30 plus touches and have a huge influence while playing in a St Kilda jumper.

Nah, he got a lot of the ball but didn't hurt the opposition. Check out his inside 50s stats. Will come good, but yet yo be seen. Much rather have the draft picks up our sleeve like we do. Best rare deal ever for us.

twirlyhair
Club Player

damienc wrote:Whatever happens to us in 2017, our off season is going to be pretty interesting or not.

Nah, he got a lot of the ball but didn't hurt the opposition. Check out his inside 50s stats. Will come good, but yet yo be seen. Much rather have the draft picks up our sleeve like we do. Best rare deal ever for us.

Winmar
Club Player

I'd be happy if Freeman came in and had that many possessions, handballs or not. Still, when I heard the stat I did think it indicated he wasn't properly fit. I'd rather we went after someone whose body is in better shape.

stonecold
SS Life Member

Beno88 wrote:This forum is becoming more comical by the day. I keep reading posts on here then looking out the window, but no, the sky isn't falling.
Great post, how true that is!!!!!

'Cause StoneCold Said So'!!!!!

We will be great again once Billy is back playing!!!!!

The 'Last Post', it's the gift that keeps giving 📯📯📯📯📯