North Melbourne Looking to Cut in on Our Lunch

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

North Melbourne Looking to Cut in on Our Lunch

In terms of landing that big fish, I find this a little disconcerting. Can't stand the thought of them reeling in the one that got away for us and then we rue the day it happened years after.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/t ... 3a045d59da

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
shrodes
SS Life Member

Re: North Melbourne Looking to Cut in on Our Lunch

NORTH Melbourne is prepared to unlock a million-dollar war chest that could target the likes of Dustin Martin, Nat Fyfe or another big name free agent at season’s end.

As the Kangaroos gear up for the next chapter in their evolution against West Coast on Sunday, unveiling six new players, it has emerged the club has significant room in its salary cap to chase a massive target.

The decision to not renew the contracts of Brent Harvey, Drew Petrie, Michael Firrito and Nick Dal Santo last August has partly made this possible.

The Roos made an unsuccessful multi-million pitch for Sydney young gun Issac Heeney last year and the club is certain to look at other options at the end of this season.

Options include free agent Martin, who dominated for Richmond in Thursday’s season opener but wants more than the $800,000 the Tigers are currently prepared to pay him, and Fyfe, who is yet to commit to Fremantle, but will be hard to prise out of Perth.

Coach Brad Scott said this week that the club was prepared to be “aggressive” in improving its playing list for the future, but was loath to discuss specific targets.

“I think we are really well positioned,” Scott said of North Melbourne’s philosophy. “(Last year) we were really aggressive in making sure we explored every option, when we made a clear decision on the direction we were going.

“This year, we will (again) explore every single option, whether it is drafting, trading or free agency, and then we will sit down and see how it ties in with our stage of development.”

“There will come a point in time when people sort of think ‘OK, I have a better understanding of what North Melbourne are doing’, and we get that opportunity in 2017. Should we stagger things out, or (do we say) ‘no, we want to give these exciting youngsters an opportunity’ ... and then we will be in a great position going forward.”

On Thursday the Herald Sun revealed the latest list of 2017 free agents, headlined by Martin, Fyfe, Brisbane’s Tom Rockliff and Geelong’s Steven Motlop, with Hawthorn closing the door on Luke Breust this week after locking him to a four-year deal.

The Kangaroos take on one of their favourite sons, Drew Petrie, in his first game for the Eagles, with Scott wishing the big man every success, other than in this particular match.

“I would love to build up a bit of a spiteful clash, but I can’t,” Scott said. “Personally, I love Drewie, he is a terrific guy.”

“We hope Drew has 21 really good home-and-away game in 2017 (other than Round 1). He has been a genuine icon and champion of this footy club.”

He said the club was looking forward to seeing Jack Ziebell’s evolution as a captain; the unveiling of new Roos Nathan Hrovat, Marley Williams, Jy Simpkin, Declan Mountford, Mitch Hibberd and Brayden Preuss today; Todd Goldstein’s quest to assume the mantle as the game’s best ruckman again; and the club’s history-making game against Western Bulldogs on Good Friday.

Scott said he preferred to look to the future, and didn’t want to look back on a difficult year in 2016, which included the loss of his brother, Ben, in November, who died of anaphylactic shock due to an unusual nut allergy.

“It’s not something I am going to talk about in public,” he said. “I have worked hard over the journey to separate my public and my private life, and that certainly fits into the private life.”

St Loxton
Club Player

Pretty sure Fyfe was a Kangaroos supporter also before he was drafted.

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Let 'em go for it, I say. I would prefer we keep building from he ground up. let's not fall for the Chris Judd illusion

saynta
Saintsational Legend

cwrcyn wrote:Let 'em go for it, I say. I would prefer we keep building from he ground up. let's not fall for the Chris Judd illusion
plus one

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

cwrcyn wrote:Let 'em go for it, I say. I would prefer we keep building from he ground up. let's not fall for the Chris Judd illusion
I woudn't mind falling for something closer to the Dangerfield illusion on the hand.

saintbob
SS Life Member

JOSH KELLY

SemperFidelis
SS Life Member

Always loyal
meher baba
Saintsational Legend

At least Judd had a premiership medal. If Martin and Fyfe are such champions, why haven't their clubs done better in recent years? Some posters on this forum are too obsessed with the trading/drafting game: as if it is more important than what happens on the field.

From what I've seen so far this season, I reckon the best pickup of an established player from another club has been Jordan Lewis at the Dees. Perhaps we would have done better to go for him.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

SemperFidelis wrote:
saintbob wrote:JOSH KELLY
Crikey!

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/n ... vd33t.html
If true, that offer by NM is utterly insane and we shouldn't follow those idiots down such a desperate rabbit hole.

I thought GWS signed Kelly last year?

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

meher baba wrote:From what I've seen so far this season, I reckon the best pickup of an established player from another club has been Jordan Lewis at the Dees. Perhaps we would have done better to go for him.
Considering Hawthorn gave him away for virtually nothing, I reckon Melbourne have done very well out of that. He tore us to pieces in round 1. Seems to work very well with the other veteran mid in Nathan Jones. He's already 30 years old, but brings them a wealth of experience and leadership skills. I guess our priority was for an experienced defender, so we got Brown instead. Meanwhile, Lewis has to cool his heals for a weeks in serving a suspension.

suss
Club Player

Linton Lodger wrote:
SemperFidelis wrote:
Crikey!

If true, that offer by NM is utterly insane and we shouldn't follow those idiots down such a desperate rabbit hole.

For how many years (can't see - paywall)? If it's $9m for 9 years, I'd do that. This kid is well on the way to being absolutely elite. In 9 years time, it'll look cheap.

SemperFidelis
SS Life Member

suss wrote:
Linton Lodger wrote:
SemperFidelis wrote:
Crikey!

For how many years (can't see - paywall)? If it's $9m for 9 years, I'd do that. This kid is well on the way to being absolutely elite. In 9 years time, it'll look cheap.
Here you go:

"North Melbourne have made a Buddy Franklin, Tom Boyd-type nine-year $9 million contract offer for Greater Western Sydney midfielder Josh Kelly, according to former AFL club executive Brian Waldron.

Fairfax Media has confirmed that there is a nine-year contract on the table for Kelly."

Always loyal
suss
Club Player

SemperFidelis wrote:
suss wrote:
Linton Lodger wrote:
SemperFidelis wrote:
Crikey!

Here you go:

"North Melbourne have made a Buddy Franklin, Tom Boyd-type nine-year $9 million contract offer for Greater Western Sydney midfielder Josh Kelly, according to former AFL club executive Brian Waldron.

Fairfax Media has confirmed that there is a nine-year contract on the table for Kelly."
Ta.

Yeah, I think it's a go-er then. He's only 22. Would be 31 at the end of the deal. A risk I would take.

SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

While some may disagree with me, I think our midfield is a real worry. We're probably into year 5 of our rebuild and Jack Steven is still our best midfielder. Don't get me wrong, love Jack, but he's not quite an elite mid.

Frankly, post the GT era, I can't think of the last elite midfielder we drafted.

While the jury is still out on our rebuild, I think the midfield depth has been a disappointment, so if the club has a vision of playing for a premiership by 2020, I fail to see how we're going to do that without landing a proven big fish via free agency.

Obviously, we don't want to knee-jerk like we did with Lovett and if the asking price for a player is a mil to $1.5 mil, then the club needs to think very carefully before making such a commitment, but if a proven superstar like Fyfe is looking for a move to Melbourne, we'd be mad not to have a crack. If we don't, plenty of others will.

Until we have an administration that demands success and a playing group that bleeds for the guernsey, St. Kilda will just be a sh*tty football club.
ace
Saintsational Legend

SydneySainter wrote:
Obviously, we don't want to knee-jerk like we did with Lovett and if the asking price for a player is a mil to $1.5 mil, then the club needs to think very carefully before making such a commitment, but if a proven superstar like Fyfe is looking for a move to Melbourne, we'd be mad not to have a crack. If we don't, plenty of others will.
And there in lies the rub.
If a kid wants to return to WA a club only has to worry about one other who will probably go after someone else anyway.
But if you are Victorian club there may always be another Victorian club willing to pay way overs just to see off a pack of rivals.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

[quote="Sainternist"][quote="cwrcyn"]Let 'em go for it, I say. I would prefer we keep building from he ground up. let's not fall for the Chris Judd illusion[/quote]

I woudn't mind falling for something closer to the Dangerfield illusion on the hand.[/quote]
Mmmmmm........Dangerfield. Now that would be a dream outcome.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Nth Melbourne don't have 9 million dollars. Let them go broke.

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

Kelly should be our primary target, ahead of Fyfe or Martin, but a 9 year deal would be reckless lunacy. Let Nth Melb buggerr up their rebuild, if he goes there he may not see finals action for those 9 years. 5 years is as far as I'd go for Kelly. He is a gun and precisely what we need.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Linton Lodger wrote:Kelly should be our primary target, ahead of Fyfe or Martin, but a 9 year deal would be reckless lunacy. Let Nth Melb buggerr up their rebuild, if he goes there he may not see finals action for those 9 years. 5 years is as far as I'd go for Kelly. He is a gun and precisely what we need.
You can blame Shitney for these crazy deals. Personally I hope he stays at GWS and sends NM a nice old f*** you.

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
bigred
Saintsational Legend

We kinda need that guy....

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
stonecold
SS Life Member

Welcome to modern day footy folks, if you want the BigFish, you have to use the long-line!!!!!

'Cause StoneCold Said So'!!!!!

We will be great again once Billy is back playing!!!!!

The 'Last Post', it's the gift that keeps giving 📯📯📯📯📯
Griggsy
SS Life Member

Kangas done okay here, just have a look at all the players that GWS need to resign, something has got to give.. Made a lucrative offer that will set him up for life + Melbourne market with endorsement deals will probably being thrown in as a selling point. Whether he is 9year worthy, i dont know. I dont know much about GWS as i rarely bother watching them but that is a massive amount of time that sounds insane for a yound mid.

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

How much would you pay for Billings? That will give you an idea of what Kelly is worth, roughly speaking. Would you offer JB a nine year deal? I doubt it. Get Dusty. Or Nathan.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
dragit
Saintsational Legend

Dripping irony if we go after Kelly on these terms…

We take McCartin over Petracca on the premise that it would cost us too much to trade in a KPF… then give up 2 first rounders and a 9 year, 9 million $ contract for a mid.