We need to talk about Paddy.

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

We need to talk about Paddy.

The number one draft pick tag is a noose for many. If you're expecting another Roo, can I save you a lot of heartache and tell you that based on 14 years in the recruiting game, a Roo or Judd comes along once in a generation for the whole competition, let alone for one club. The tragedy is we wanted Judd, but thought we'd pinch him at five. The WC outsmarted us and GT's obstinance beat us that day. But I digress.

Paddy is no Roo. Get over it. He's going to be very good and an adequate, if not complete replacement for the great man. He's got great hands, superb judgement and he's smart as a whip. Good over the first 20 like plugger. Downsides? Average endurance, average set shot for goal (a knock on him we were well aware of), and despite assurances, a type 1 diabetic, making him vulnerable to concussion, making it harder for him to heal and requiring careful management, meaning his endurance is affected. Having said that, when looking for someone to fill the massive void Roo will leave, Paddy was about as close as we could get. The others, including "two metre Peter" Wright were even further away.

Paddy will be a very good player. More Kosi like, if he hadn't have been destroyed by the cowardly snipe by that cowardly flog, Giansiracusa. Kosi would've been one of our best, if not for that fateful moment. As someone who has extensive experience of dealing with acquired brain injury, Kosi definitely was disabled to an extent by that hit. Even if it was only 5%, in an elite level sport, that is enough to ensure you don't fully fulfill your potential.

Paddy has already suffered 5 significant concussions if you include his last year of under 18's. As a diabetic, he will suffer greater damage and after effects than the average person. It is to do with the fact that effective sugar metabolism offers protection against trauma in neurons (nerve cells) of the brain. Go figure! Too much sugar, and your neutrons get destroyed. Alzheimer's is now known as diabetes type 3. Too little, and you lack protection and ability to heal. As the Buddhists have always told us, the middle path is always the way to go.

The Dee's had a super draft in 2014. That's because multiple early picks. They coudn't lose and on such drafts, if you get it right, an era can be built. Ours was 2001, even though we missed Judd. We got Ball, Dal Santo, Clarke, Montagna and Maguire. Not bad. Melbourne in 2014 got Petracca (gun), Brayshaw (gun), Neal-Bullen ( hyphenated surname fulfills Dee's need), McDonald, Billy Stretch and Jeffrey Garlett. All playing seniors now. All playing a valuable role.

So patience, grasshoppers. Billings ain't no Bont. Never will be. Paddy ain't no Roo. Never will be. By this stage of Paddy's career, Roo was a Rising Star winner, close to the B&F and a year away from the captaincy. Both will be very good players for us. We lament the fact that if we'd had Judd we would've saluted in 04-5, or 09-10. Maybe we would've, but we didn't. We had the players to win at least two in those eras. GT lacked tactical and injury management nous. Lyon lacked imagination and was too stubborn. Hopefully AR is not Lyon, GT 2.0. We have the material if we top it off with an outside beast and another accumulator. Paddy is the forward we can build a winning forward line around. Patience, grasshoppers. Patience.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Re: We need to talk about Paddy.

After 51 years, my patience is wearing a bit thin mate.

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote:After 51 years, my patience is wearing a bit thin mate.
So is mine mate, and I bet that of every long time Sainter. The WBs premiership only hurts us more. The bottom line is we are stuck with what we've got. All the wailing and gnashing of teeth will do nothing. If suffering counted, we'd have won 27 flags, not spoons. I'm hoping for just one. No dynasties, no three peats, just one. Then I can die happy.

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

White Winmar wrote:The WC outsmarted us and GT's obstinance beat us that day. But I digress.
I didn't think GT even attended draft day?

<warning for baiting>

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

WW thanks for the post it puts things in perspective, but I too have been waiting over 50 years how much longer should we be expected to be patient for?

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

Oh please. I was there. You weren't. We had strict instructions. What's wrong with you? You're carrying on like a half wit. Again. Still smarting after I smashed you last time? What a pathetic attempt to flame me. Unlike you, I couldn't care less what some anonymous loser on an Internet forum thinks of me. I'm only answering you to set the record straight.

Envy, stupidity, personality disorder, or are you just arguing for the sake of it? I suspect it's all four. I feel sorry for losers like you. Anonymous keyboard warriors who snipe, knowing they know nothing, have never done anything to help the club, and know they can't be brought to account. Again, you posted in the last thread I owned you in, that it was people who wanted to hijack threads and were <edited by mods> that annoyed you. You damn yourself with your own words. Do us all a favour. Stick to what you know, which I suspect is very little and keep <mods edited this clever play on words that is against the rules> your member, Johnny.

<warning for abuse / belittling etc etc>

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

I'm not expecting a superstar in Paddy, but I think we've snagged potentially a very good key forward. I'm happy with his progress. Set shots need some work and endurance, but those are both things that can be worked on.

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

Impatient Sainter wrote:WW thanks for the post it puts things in perspective, but I too have been waiting over 50 years how much longer should we be expected to be patient for?
well for me Im not quite sure what the point is ?
To tell us that Melbourne went to the well in 2014 and topped up with real talent
but when we went to the well we didnt get the real talent we should have got ?

David Carradine may have had patience to burn - but pretty certain he was the best kick arse kung fu 'ist going round to back it up.

Seeya
prwilkinson
SS Hall of Fame

White Winmar wrote:
saynta wrote:After 51 years, my patience is wearing a bit thin mate.
So is mine mate, and I bet that of every long time Sainter. The WBs premiership only hurts us more. The bottom line is we are stuck with what we've got. All the wailing and gnashing of teeth will do nothing. If suffering counted, we'd have won 27 flags, not spoons. I'm hoping for just one. No dynasties, no three peats, just one. Then I can die happy.
Sigh.... yep!

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

sunsaint wrote:
Impatient Sainter wrote:WW thanks for the post it puts things in perspective, but I too have been waiting over 50 years how much longer should we be expected to be patient for?
well for me Im not quite sure what the point is ?
To tell us that Melbourne went to the well in 2014 and topped up with real talent
but when we went to the well we didnt get the real talent we should have got ?

David Carradine may have had patience to burn - but pretty certain he was the best kick arse kung fu 'ist going round to back it up.
We did well in 2001. Should've delivered us a flag or two, but didn't. We seem cursed. From bounces, to toe pokes, to injuries, freak individual efforts from opposition players and no luck with the umpires, we've had our share of bad luck. Sigh! :(

fugazi
Saintsational Legend

If he can stay on the park, and get 10 games in a row we will start to see the footballer he can become.
If he can stay in football for 5-7 years and play the majority of games (and finals) - we stand a chance of winning a flag

With his medical history, I can't see either being a high probability.
The most likely outcome will be a frustrating on again, off again career, cut dreadfully short by concussion/diabetes.

Petracca will likely be a 10 year player, 200 games, averaging 30+ possessions and 30 + goals a year.

We all know that these are the likely scenarios

We all hope that it works out for the best

We all suspect we screwed up at the draft

We all feel that very familiar StKilda feeling

In the meantime, we will just have to back our guy in, and hope he continues to grow and improve.

He had a good game vs WEAGLES, he's young, he's on the right track.

Nee!
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Roo won the 2002 best and fairest

In his first full season at 19yo

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

Paddy will be good. Just not Roo standard.

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

Paddy will be good. Just not Roo standard.

BackFromUSA
Saintsational Legend

The key is that we tried to replace Roo and you can never replace a great - we tried for years to replace Winmar. It just doesn't work.

Paddy is going to be a good player. Maybe even better than good.

What we should be focused on is 3 talls that kick 30 to 50 goals each. And 3 smalls that kick 20 to 40 goals each.

Rather than 1 champion like Roo.

AwayInUSA no longer ... have based myself back in Melbourne for a decade of Saintsational Success (with regular trips back to the USA)

"Saintsational Player Sponsor 2007 - 2018"
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

will talking about Paddy change anything ?

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

Club is rubbish at picking marking forwards.
Plugger n Rooey just lucky.
Kosi unluckly.
Jason Heatley went OK but faded.
David Sierakowski did some good things but not quite there.
Fergus Watts...David Gamble from Cats, no good
Beau Maister couldn't hold any marks
Tom Lee didn't make it (watched those last 2 play for Claremont yesterday, did really well)
Bruce big year, then last year empty, so far this year just another honest battler
How we doin so far?

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
CURLY
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Roo won the 2002 best and fairest

In his first full season at 19yo
What does this have to do with Paddy? As far as I'm aware a 18 year old Roo wasn't available when we took Paddy.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Can we stop this myth that Gia ruined Kosi.
I don't like Gia now am I defending him but Kosi had zero peripheral vision.

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

What would you rather a cheap burger Paddy rushed out by Maccy D's or a gourmet Paddy that takes a bit longer but has proper substance. Its takes time to cook a big, juicy Paddy all the way through. I'm enjoying hearing him sizzling and popping on the grill (and some of the fat draining away). Now I really need a burger...I'm going to Maccas for a ROYAL WITH CHEESE

#gosaintas
Club Player

WellardSaint wrote:Club is rubbish at picking marking forwards.
Plugger n Rooey just lucky.
Kosi unluckly.
Jason Heatley went OK but faded.
David Sierakowski did some good things but not quite there.
Fergus Watts...David Gamble from Cats, no good
Beau Maister couldn't hold any marks
Tom Lee didn't make it (watched those last 2 play for Claremont yesterday, did really well)
Bruce big year, then last year empty, so far this year just another honest battler
How we doin so far?

You missed big Fraser. As usual, you're going poorly.

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

Buckets went ok.
G-Train was also handy.
Roo was ok when he filled in up forward.
Spider played some decent games in attack.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
Zed
SS Hall of Fame

WW - so in your opinion should we have picked Petracca over Paddy ?

Also, let's say for arguments sake we end up with 2 top 10 draft picks this year. Do we look to keep them both, trade 1 and keep 1 , or trade them both ?

Life is never more fun than when you're the underdog competing against the giants.
WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

Joffa Burns wrote:Buckets went ok.
G-Train was also handy.
Roo was ok when he filled in up forward.
Spider played some decent games in attack.
Gehrig was a nice big talented forward.
I did mention Rooey as "lucky" as we picked well.
But we won't get another Rooey for another 10 years unless we trade aggressively for one

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Curley,

I was correcting the OP that said Roo was nearly a b&f after three seasons... when in fact he'd won a b&f...

Maybe I should have quoted this time?

In his fourth (third really, missed first year with knee) season he was the best player in the afl