Round 2 Team v Weagles

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Re: Round 2 Team v Weagles

I think Lonie just got caught up in the general frustration caused by the selection committee

Acres' non-selection frustrated many and unfairly for Lonie... he was the face of it

Eyespy

Bring on Acres

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

skeptic wrote:I think Lonie just got caught up in the general frustration caused by the selection committee

Acres' non-selection frustrated many and unfairly for Lonie... he was the face of it
Richo apparently talks to each player after selection to say what he expects of the guy...and the ones not in seniors are told what they need to work on.
So Lonie, Sinclair, DMac, White would know where they stand.
Acres would be confused when he sees Gilbo being first picked and then playing with all the skill of a 9 year-old and wonder what the.

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Bring in Longer and Sinclair!!!!

It's small but Longer busing names emergency twice in a row is a small statement, at least to him.

Feel like by the end of the year, the three in the emergencies will be best 22. Bold prediction.

Griggsy
SS Life Member

Saint wagga wrote:Good team, really happy with it!! Where has this Lonie negativity come from?? I can't believe it! He had 15 posi's and kicked 1:1. That nearly twice the no pf posi's that wright got!! Lonie is a ripper, a real team man and I think he'll be our small forward for our next premiership tilt! Plus he does well when going thru the midfield!
Probably wasn't our worst but does it really count as a goal if you picked it up in the goal square on top of an advantage from free kick.

MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

All this talk on lonie being lucky I think savage is the lucky one

#1 Ryder fan
barneyboyz
Club Player

Long Term Injury wrote:
Saint wagga wrote:Good team, really happy with it!! Where has this Lonie negativity come from?? I can't believe it! He had 15 posi's and kicked 1:1. That nearly twice the no pf posi's that wright got!! Lonie is a ripper, a real team man and I think he'll be our small forward for our next premiership tilt! Plus he does well when going thru the midfield!
Agreed, and just read was ninth past round for competition wide pressure points, which is obviously valued highly internally. There is a lot of upside with Lonie, he is incredibly smart with ball in hand, and hopefully as the pressure goes up he can become even more composed.
Put a lot of pressure on in that early part of the game, and found himself in some good spots. It's not his fault that our entire forward line (except Roo of course) was as ineffective as glad wrap in a microwave oven. Deserves a run at it I think

St. Kilda Football Club. Going strong, since 1960 :wink:
saynta
Saintsational Legend

WellardSaint wrote:
skeptic wrote:I think Lonie just got caught up in the general frustration caused by the selection committee

Richo apparently talks to each player after selection to say what he expects of the guy...and the ones not in seniors are told what they need to work on.
So Lonie, Sinclair, DMac, White would know where they stand.
Acres would be confused when he sees Gilbo being first picked and then playing with all the skill of a 9 year-old and wonder what the.
That's only your opinion and your post should state that.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Griggsy wrote:
Probably wasn't our worst but does it really count as a goal if you picked it up in the goal square on top of an advantage from free kick.
Gave a couple of gift goals to the Dees. A sloppy tackler.

Saints43
Club Player

MC Gusto wrote:All this talk on lonie being lucky I think savage is the lucky one
+1

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

So if you think of it as back to our preferred forward line, then Acres basically takes Rooey's wing role and we trade a midfielder Armo, for Joey on the backline. That's quite a lot of backline firepower with Carlisle, Brown, Webster, Savage, Robbo, Gilbo, Joey, Gears & Savage. Joey could play on ball I guess if they think we need his leadership and ball winning in there without Armo. Webster could push up to the wing. Gilbo could play more midfield with his size to replace Armo but I haven't seen that as a huge success so far. Will be interesting to see the initial set up and what moves Richo makes.

Lonie was ok last week so like the others deserves another crack. But he's got to work his arse off to be that link up player from the back half to the forward half we desperately need. He can land some nice little passes and be creative when he's on but he's not doing enough of it. When he first started he seemed to have a great connection with Paddy so hoping he can get that going again. WE've got lots of others who are gunning to do that sort of link up/small fwd role - Sinclair, Minch, NOK, Long, Phillips. Lonie is getting first shot at it - he needs to grab with it everything he's got.

Webster needs to stand up big time (literally and figuratively). Was again disappointed with his strength and kicking after a good preseason. We've got some really good young halfbacks knocking the door down and only a great performance from him will let him keep his spot I reckon.

Likewise Ross needs to be the man for us onball to support Steven without Armo. IF its going against us he needs to step up and take control - win some hard footy, make a big play that sets up a goal. We can't let them get too much momentum in front of their rabid home crowd.

And of course Acres needs to run both ways and kick well. IF he misses one pass or stops to pull up his socks one time he'll be out of the team for schizzle.

shrodes
SS Life Member

Mackenzie and Jetta out for WCE.
https://thewest.com.au/sport/eric-macke ... b88431702z

Paddy, Bruce and Membrey could be in for a decent game hopefully.

Also big Giles at his fourth club gets a game in place of Petrie, hope Hickey can come out and have a blinder.

BringBackMadDog
Club Player

Bluthy wrote:So if you think of it as back to our preferred forward line, then Acres basically takes Rooey's wing role and we trade a midfielder Armo, for Joey on the backline. That's quite a lot of backline firepower with Carlisle, Brown, Webster, Savage, Robbo, Gilbo, Joey, Gears & Savage. Joey could play on ball I guess if they think we need his leadership and ball winning in there without Armo. Webster could push up to the wing. Gilbo could play more midfield with his size to replace Armo but I haven't seen that as a huge success so far. Will be interesting to see the initial set up and what moves Richo makes.

Lonie was ok last week so like the others deserves another crack. But he's got to work his arse off to be that link up player from the back half to the forward half we desperately need. He can land some nice little passes and be creative when he's on but he's not doing enough of it. When he first started he seemed to have a great connection with Paddy so hoping he can get that going again. WE've got lots of others who are gunning to do that sort of link up/small fwd role - Sinclair, Minch, NOK, Long, Phillips. Lonie is getting first shot at it - he needs to grab with it everything he's got.

Webster needs to stand up big time (literally and figuratively). Was again disappointed with his strength and kicking after a good preseason. We've got some really good young halfbacks knocking the door down and only a great performance from him will let him keep his spot I reckon.

Likewise Ross needs to be the man for us onball to support Steven without Armo. IF its going against us he needs to step up and take control - win some hard footy, make a big play that sets up a goal. We can't let them get too much momentum in front of their rabid home crowd.

And of course Acres needs to run both ways and kick well. IF he misses one pass or stops to pull up his socks one time he'll be out of the team for schizzle.
Wouldn't be surprised to see Gilbo take a spot in the midfield, he has the tank and aggression we will need in the centre plus he can also rotate forward and provide an option

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

I remember last year when we started playing some good football in the second half of the year and we went into a few games thinking that we'd get monstered against teams with 2 tall forwards. We actually ended up winning those games and forumites were calling Richo a genius...WTF happened to his thinking? I know he's a nice guy but...why did we recruit N Brown?

Of course everyone thinks it makes sense to play 2 talls against the Eagles, but I reckon we need Gilbo and Robbo alongside Carlisle. Or...play Carlisle as ruck/forward if you want Brown in the team.

Glad Acres is in. Glad Paddy is in. Would like to see more young guys rotated in the team and be given experience. Ben Long, DMac, White and Sinclair come to mind.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: That's only your opinion and your post should state that.
Followed directly by...
saynta wrote:Gave a couple of gift goals to the Dees. A sloppy tackler.
In reference to Lonie

Ummm...

yallingup saints
Club Player

Spot on Scollop. No match up for Brown this week. Kennedy and Darling too mobile. Sinclair and DMac in Lonie out as appears to be one dimensional at moment. Need flexibilitlity to play mid for forward to beat the cheats.

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote:
saynta wrote: That's only your opinion and your post should state that.
Followed directly by...
saynta wrote:Gave a couple of gift goals to the Dees. A sloppy tackler.
In reference to Lonie

Ummm...
thanks for having my back :D

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
saint6709
Club Player

I would love to see Sinclair play - I think its potentially a 1 off opportunity for him to run with Sam Mitchell -he is virtually a body clone. Richo should say - run with him all day and watch how he goes about it - Sinclair will no doubt never be as good as Mitchell but if he could learn from him and close the gap over the next few years it would be a massive bonus

kp83
Club Player

Dave McNamara wrote: However, I would have left Paddy out.
- Last week showed we need more blokes who can run.
- His form and fitness don't fully warrant selection IMHO.
- But my biggest issue is that I reckon Subi is the worst (= longest) ground to be playing Paddy on.
I disagree with your last point. I reckon the bigger grounds mean that there will be more times when you need a bail out kick down the line. If Paddy can compete in these situations and hopefully pluck a few it will be invaluable. As long as he's fit enough to keep presenting in these situations (where I do agree with you and feel he might not be yet).
Basically we need more than one option (Bruce) as a marking player at half forward on these bigger grounds.

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

Griggsy wrote:
From memory the ball came over the back and he was in the right spot. It would have been a goal if the free wasn't paid. I think he also got at least one assist.

But I don't think he has enough tricks for a bloke that small. I'd have Sinclair ahead of him.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend

Late change.
Freeman came over on the plane, and is replacing Jack Steven, who has withdrawn.

suss
Club Player

WellardSaint wrote:Late change.
Freeman came over on the plane, and is replacing Jack Steven, who has withdrawn.
Surely not ...

suss
Club Player

WellardSaint wrote:Late change.
April Fools Day stuff ends at midday you know.

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

He posted that from Perth.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend

kosifantutti wrote:He posted that from Perth.
:mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Yep, I slept in and should have posted it before 9:00 am my time :roll: :shock: