Sean Dempster might be quiting

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

loris
Saintsational Legend

Re: Sean Dempster might be quiting

Playon wrote:

Either way I hope he's good to go, he was supposed to play on next year as well
I think you'll find he's only contracted for this year 2017.

Playon
Club Player

loris wrote:
Playon wrote:

Either way I hope he's good to go, he was supposed to play on next year as well
I think you'll find he's only contracted for this year 2017.
Contracted yep..But another 12 months can always be added,, That was the rumor anyway, The club was looking to extend, taking into account that all things go well for him,

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

The club again reminded the community that Sean is a very private person.
Richo's presser a few weeks ago, he said that Sean had opted out of the selection process.
Unavailable.
Low key champion, didn't want a fuss. Quiet and classy, he's kept the club fully in the loop,
nothing said to outsiders, even tony74 didn't offer a sniff, to his credit.

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

WellardSaint wrote:The club again reminded the community that Sean is a very private person.
Richo's presser a few weeks ago, he said that Sean had opted out of the selection process.
Unavailable.
Low key champion, didn't want a fuss. Quiet and classy, he's kept the club fully in the loop,
nothing said to outsiders, even tony74 didn't offer a sniff, to his credit.
http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/st-kild ... 3e6c8b10bc
CONCERN about knocks to the head is the reason St Kilda defender Sean Dempster is considering retirement.

It is understood that Dempster is checking on the potential impact of further knocks or a concussion and that this has put his career on hold for the time being.

Sources have confirmed that there is no issue with the club or his non-selection, because the issue, as St Kilda indicated in a statement, is entirely medical.

That Dempster was considering retirement came as a surprise and in particular any suggestion that there was conflict, since he is renowned as one of the most professional players at St Kilda, an exceptional clubman and a model to younger teammate
s.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
lefty
Club Player

FML, having to watch Brown defender all year instead of Dempster :'(

satchmo
Saintsational Legend

lefty wrote:FML, having to watch Brown defender all year instead of Dempster :'(
Loudly?

*Allegedly.

Bring back Lucky Burgers, and nobody gets hurt.

You can't un-fry things.

Last Post
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Whatever he does - He is one of the all time greats of the club.

loris
Saintsational Legend

satchmo wrote:
lefty wrote:FML, having to watch Brown defender all year instead of Dempster :'(
Loudly?
What does:( mean?

St Lenny
Club Player

I just don't understand how there can be concern about concussion when he hasn't had concussion (this year). Why wasn't it an issue last year? Doesn't make sense to me.

bigred
Saintsational Legend

He copped a heavy one in the first preseason game.

He's had quite a few over the journey and they add up. Perhaps his recovery from the last one was really shabby.

He has the rest of his life to lead.

100% behind whatever decision he makes.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

St Lenny wrote:I just don't understand how there can be concern about concussion when he hasn't had concussion (this year). Why wasn't it an issue last year? Doesn't make sense to me.
He copped one in the head in JLT v Port.

loris
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
St Lenny wrote:I just don't understand how there can be concern about concussion when he hasn't had concussion (this year). Why wasn't it an issue last year? Doesn't make sense to me.
Sure did and PA player was given 1 week for it.

Sean is often his own worst enemy. Many a time over the years I have seen him wave the trainers away when he has received heavy knocks, not always to the head and tho suffering he soldiers on. Some of those knocks on the body can also give the head quite a shake. Too courageous at times. Geary is the same.

Two youngsters that have that same take the 'hit for the team' attitude & continue on when they maybe should come off and be properly assessed are Nat Wright & D.Mac. Those 2 need to be managed carefully, for their own future long term health IMHO.

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

loris wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:
Sure did and PA player was given 1 week for it.

Sean is often his own worst enemy. Many a time over the years I have seen him wave the trainers away when he has received heavy knocks, not always to the head and tho suffering he soldiers on. Some of those knocks on the body can also give the head quite a shake. Too courageous at times. Geary is the same.

Two youngsters that have that same take the 'hit for the team' attitude & continue on when they maybe should come off and be properly assessed are Nat Wright & D.Mac. Those 2 need to be managed carefully, for their own future long term health IMHO.
Yes, good call, Loris.
Would hate to see them suffer long-term, they have long lives ahead.
Bravery is one thing, but it's only a game in the end, just a game.

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
Country Kid
Club Player

Has had 3-4 of these (stretchered off) at his time at the Saints. Don't know at the Swans. I think it was in Perth where they had to administer oxygen to him before he could be taken off the ground. Like other players he would have played at times with various degrees of concussion.

Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

mullet wrote:
Bluthy wrote:SEN just said it was due to head knocks over his career
That is terrible for Sean.

So in fact the club is taking the greatest of care with Sean and not how Barratt portrayed us as not communicating with him and dropping him for no good reason.

What a pathetic individual that Barratt is. Seriously, he never gets anything right and either reports in such a broad way that it could mean anything or completely gets it wrong. I hope he gets the sack..... what a Moron
I don't think its just Barrett, its about time people woke up about journalists. Unfortunately I had to deal with them relatively regularly in a past life. They are inherently lazy, wannabe writers and hate complexity due to their aforementioned laziness & limited intelligence.

They approach a story with a pre-concieved narrative and too bad if the evidence doesn't turn out to support that narrative. If you refuse to talk to them or don't adhere to their narrative they'll get malicious, present theories as fact or just make facts up. Whether that be News Ltd. Fairfax or the ABC, they're just as bad as eachother.

In my experience I found that only journalists from SBS and AAP were interested in presenting straight facts.

Saint wagga
Club Player

I don't think the club or by proxy the player himself does any favours by putting out a press release with no detail and full of ambiguous and cryptic cliches! I mean seriously, if your trying to quash a rumour, why not just be explicit and say it's to do with repeat concussions and recurrent symptoms?!?! By not being clear about the 'injury' and then going on to emphasis there's no bad blood between player and club...I think all the club have done is increased speculation that all isn't as it seems...just my opinion fwiw

saintly
Saintsational Legend

Saint wagga wrote:I don't think the club or by proxy the player himself does any favours by putting out a press release with no detail and full of ambiguous and cryptic cliches! I mean seriously, if your trying to quash a rumour, why not just be explicit and say it's to do with repeat concussions and recurrent symptoms?!?! By not being clear about the 'injury' and then going on to emphasis there's no bad blood between player and club...I think all the club have done is increased speculation that all isn't as it seems...just my opinion fwiw
beucase as Richo said Dempster is a very private person and most likely would not want his concussion test or anything medical to be in the public sphere.

by the way this has happend before with Dempster a few years ago. where he wan't on the injured list and wasn't playing and the coach at the time had to come out and say that Dempster was wanting privacy due to injury oncerens or private issues. don't remember which.

Joe Bloggs
Club Player

[quote="St Lenny"]I just don't understand how there can be concern about concussion when he hasn't had concussion (this year). Why wasn't it an issue last year? Doesn't make sense to me.[/quote

Concussion is with you for life it can get worse without having head blows..He may be experiencing head aches..Or not sleeping or may be becoming forgetful. It's a brain injury.

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

Joe Bloggs wrote:
St Lenny wrote:I just don't understand how there can be concern about concussion when he hasn't had concussion (this year). Why wasn't it an issue last year? Doesn't make sense to me.[/quote

Concussion is with you for life it can get worse without having head blows..He may be experiencing head aches..Or not sleeping or may be becoming forgetful. It's a brain injury.
It would be scary when you think he's what 33? Could still be barely a third of his way through his life and may have a family and children to support. Things like depression, anxiety, memory lose, reduced awareness and movement can come with those sort of debilitating problems and come out of the brain damage. Clubs are possibly going to have to look at settlements for these sort of injuries. I guess you can say its the nature of the sport where they make so much money and no one forces them to do it. But have they got the full, proper, cautious approach from the clubs? if I was a lawyer that's what I would challenge.

Saint wagga
Club Player

saintly wrote:
Saint wagga wrote:I don't think the club or by proxy the player himself does any favours by putting out a press release with no detail and full of ambiguous and cryptic cliches! I mean seriously, if your trying to quash a rumour, why not just be explicit and say it's to do with repeat concussions and recurrent symptoms?!?! By not being clear about the 'injury' and then going on to emphasis there's no bad blood between player and club...I think all the club have done is increased speculation that all isn't as it seems...just my opinion fwiw
beucase as Richo said Dempster is a very private person and most likely would not want his concussion test or anything medical to be in the public sphere.

by the way this has happend before with Dempster a few years ago. where he wan't on the injured list and wasn't playing and the coach at the time had to come out and say that Dempster was wanting privacy due to injury oncerens or private issues. don't remember which.
Then say nothing at all! by responding to the half baked media speculation with a half baked response, it doesn't help the club or players cause imo

Saint wagga
Club Player

At what point do you think, and this is a serious question...will players be made to sign a waiver form with regards to their long term health from a concussion point of view? I dont mean open slather on management of conccussioon...i mean that despite best practice with regards to current evidence based medical model approach to concussion management, that if the player suffers long term cognitive impairment down the track the clubs/afl are not responsible...this makes sense to me and will put it back on the players to some extent that if they want the lucrative financial renumeration that comes with playing afl, they must take the inherent risk of long term cognitive impairment and weigh that descison up...what do people think??

shrodes
SS Life Member

Saint wagga wrote:
saintly wrote:

Then say nothing at all! by responding to the half baked media speculation with a half baked response, it doesn't help the club or players cause imo
I think they had to get out in front of it after Barrett on TFS. Journalists have no respect for privacy, even when it comes to medical issues.

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

Has anyone else considered that Sean has already made his mind up, he is going thru the medical (concussion) process to help out the club. As if he retires due to injury the club can upgrade a rookie eg Marshall.

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

Linton Lodger wrote:
mullet wrote:
Bluthy wrote:SEN just said it was due to head knocks over his career
That is terrible for Sean.

So in fact the club is taking the greatest of care with Sean and not how Barratt portrayed us as not communicating with him and dropping him for no good reason.

What a pathetic individual that Barratt is. Seriously, he never gets anything right and either reports in such a broad way that it could mean anything or completely gets it wrong. I hope he gets the sack..... what a Moron
I don't think its just Barrett, its about time people woke up about journalists. Unfortunately I had to deal with them relatively regularly in a past life. They are inherently lazy, wannabe writers and hate complexity due to their aforementioned laziness & limited intelligence.

They approach a story with a pre-concieved narrative and too bad if the evidence doesn't turn out to support that narrative. If you refuse to talk to them or don't adhere to their narrative they'll get malicious, present theories as fact or just make facts up. Whether that be News Ltd. Fairfax or the ABC, they're just as bad as eachother.

In my experience I found that only journalists from SBS and AAP were interested in presenting straight facts.
Good post, LL. Very similar to my professional dealings with them. They don't report the news, they make it. And make it up as well.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!