Sean Dempster might be quiting

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

minneapolis
Club Player

Re: Sean Dempster might be quiting

Saint wagga wrote:At what point do you think, and this is a serious question...will players be made to sign a waiver form with regards to their long term health from a concussion point of view? I dont mean open slather on management of conccussioon...i mean that despite best practice with regards to current evidence based medical model approach to concussion management, that if the player suffers long term cognitive impairment down the track the clubs/afl are not responsible...this makes sense to me and will put it back on the players to some extent that if they want the lucrative financial renumeration that comes with playing afl, they must take the inherent risk of long term cognitive impairment and weigh that descison up...what do people think??
That's a very good point. But I am certain the Player's Association would roll out their lawyers and ensure that no player signed a contract that contained such a clause.

Not only would it be the first step on a very slippery slope, the PA would not be performing their legal duties and the person who allowed it would be removed from office.

Nothing better than a good Dad Joke.
saintly
Saintsational Legend

Saint wagga wrote:
saintly wrote:
Saint wagga wrote:I don't think the club or by proxy the player himself does any favours by putting out a press release with no detail and full of ambiguous and cryptic cliches! I mean seriously, if your trying to quash a rumour, why not just be explicit and say it's to do with repeat concussions and recurrent symptoms?!?! By not being clear about the 'injury' and then going on to emphasis there's no bad blood between player and club...I think all the club have done is increased speculation that all isn't as it seems...just my opinion fwiw
beucase as Richo said Dempster is a very private person and most likely would not want his concussion test or anything medical to be in the public sphere.

by the way this has happend before with Dempster a few years ago. where he wan't on the injured list and wasn't playing and the coach at the time had to come out and say that Dempster was wanting privacy due to injury oncerens or private issues. don't remember which.
Then say nothing at all! by responding to the half baked media speculation with a half baked response, it doesn't help the club or players cause imo
they have to say something, otherwise the media speculation is worse. people want to know. then it also looks like the saints are hiding things.

its a no win situation.

saintbob
SS Life Member

Well said Richo

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Impatient Sainter wrote:Has anyone else considered that Sean has already made his mind up, he is going thru the medical (concussion) process to help out the club. As if he retires due to injury the club can upgrade a rookie eg Marshall.
No, because it would not be the case.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

saintly wrote:
Saint wagga wrote:
saintly wrote:
Saint wagga wrote:I don't think the club or by proxy the player himself does any favours by putting out a press release with no detail and full of ambiguous and cryptic cliches! I mean seriously, if your trying to quash a rumour, why not just be explicit and say it's to do with repeat concussions and recurrent symptoms?!?! By not being clear about the 'injury' and then going on to emphasis there's no bad blood between player and club...I think all the club have done is increased speculation that all isn't as it seems...just my opinion fwiw
beucase as Richo said Dempster is a very private person and most likely would not want his concussion test or anything medical to be in the public sphere.

by the way this has happend before with Dempster a few years ago. where he wan't on the injured list and wasn't playing and the coach at the time had to come out and say that Dempster was wanting privacy due to injury oncerens or private issues. don't remember which.
Then say nothing at all! by responding to the half baked media speculation with a half baked response, it doesn't help the club or players cause imo
they have to say something, otherwise the media speculation is worse. people want to know. then it also looks like the saints are hiding things.

its a no win situation.
I just wonder if we were a bit sensitive to the concussion issue with what's happening with Paddy, our valuable no. 1 pick. Richo seems to get a bit prickly when Paddy's issues are brought up. We thought we could get away with a catchall of "respect Demps privacy" and didn't want the dreaded "c" word being associated with our club again. We've had issues with Ball, Kosi & Longer as well but all clubs will have a player or two battling this. Maybe they were just a bit panicked about being labeled the "concussion club" and how it might tie in with Paddy.

Alternatively did Demps say exactly what he was worried about? There does seem to be a possible communication gap between the club and Demps on this. Maybe Demps wanted to investigate it outside the bounds of the club to get an independent assessment. Particularly if he might pursue some sort of compensation/payout.

Certainly could have been handled better. In this day and age you have to give the media something of substance that will satisfy them enough. The reality is that coaches and clubs lie consistently about the state and behaviors of players and the media love to sniff out a scoop. Feed the media dog enough that it won't be starving and go poking around for juicy tidbits.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:
Impatient Sainter wrote:Has anyone else considered that Sean has already made his mind up, he is going thru the medical (concussion) process to help out the club. As if he retires due to injury the club can upgrade a rookie eg Marshall.
There is no conspiracy here.
Most likely he has had several bad concussions in the last decade. The one in 2014 v Freo was very bad.

He has probably spoken with a Dr and weighed up the risks of going on one more year and getting another head knock versus the next 50 years of his life with a kid.

There is much more information on concussion now and it isnt great. I think Sean is simply taking notice of current medical advice.

I dont understand why people cant grasp this.

mullet
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
saintsRrising wrote:
There is no conspiracy here.
Most likely he has had several bad concussions in the last decade. The one in 2014 v Freo was very bad.

He has probably spoken with a Dr and weighed up the risks of going on one more year and getting another head knock versus the next 50 years of his life with a kid.

There is much more information on concussion now and it isnt great. I think Sean is simply taking notice of current medical advice.

I dont understand why people cant grasp this.
People cant grasp it because the media (Barratt) tried to make a story from something that wasnt there. We as a club should be applauded for taking care of Sean. Instead they just wanted to turn it into a "bad old stkilda Kultcha" story. (the spelling is intended).
Meantime, why arent Richmond under the pump for letting Dusty out there with clearly an injury to the face. Oh yeah cos Dimma is under the pump and needs to win games.

stjohnc
Club Player

Probably not a concussion issue, more likely a neck problem

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

MG over on BigFooty is indicating that Demspter will be off and that he and the club just have to sort out payments etc.

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

saintsRrising wrote:MG over on BigFooty is indicating that Demspter will be off and that he and the club just have to sort out payments etc.
Well, if it's on BigFooty, then it must be true.
Is MG actually tony74 over on that forum?
:shock:

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
wally
Club Player

I think Sean was getting right into sports medicine so maybe he will stay on doing more of that.

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Notably Fox have the footage of him speaking to his team mates

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

well there you go- Damo was correct and they did the Self congratulate for breaking the news- Nothing about the angst and discomfort Sean felt.or that most of the facts were wrong. :roll:

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

WellardSaint wrote:
saintsRrising wrote:MG over on BigFooty is indicating that Demspter will be off and that he and the club just have to sort out payments etc.
Well, if it's on BigFooty, then it must be true.
Is MG actually tony74 over on that forum?
:shock:
It was not that it was on BigFooty. It was the source who is normally pretty accurate as an ITK.

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

at least someone pointing it out
http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/sean-d ... 560d59ae55
afl
Garry Lyon caught out as Sean Dempster forced to retire due to concussion fears

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Apparently it's all the Saints fault
To hard for Garry to say he was wrong because that would mean his mate Damo was wrong
So we will focus on the Saints messaging
Even when Sean explains their support

Garza can have 'Private' But heaven forbid any Saints player want it done quietly

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

does effective immediately mean effective immediately set in stone no more games

It would be good if he ran out 'one" more time at a home game

He has been been a good soldier: reliable, robust and resolute
He always had my respect and admiration

Seeya
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

discussion on Twitter from Mark Robinson who asked-
Mark Robinson‏Verified account
@Robbo_heraldsun
Who questioned Sean Dempster's character #missedit #who
Jonathan‏ @zoe230509
Replying to @Robbo_heraldsun
Your question has been answered by many. What is your response?

Mark Robinson‏Verified account @Robbo_heraldsun
Best they get the facts right before they rip someone a new one ... we all make mistakes, but is there any apologies forthcoming?

Jonathan‏ @zoe230509
Do you think the people mentioned should issue an apology? I think they should, clearly no one checked with Dempster & ran with a rumour.

Rowdy‏ @Rowdoss
Replying to @Robbo_heraldsun
To everyone saying LYON
He never did
He put a very big &
unmistakable
"IF"
in front of his comments.
That rarely matters to the outragers

Mark Robinson‏Verified account @Robbo_heraldsun
That means you can put an IF in front of any comment,. Still tee off as you would but add an IF. That make everything OK?

Rowdy‏ @Rowdoss
Nope not at all Robbo, I understand where you are coming from, but ppl that do what you're describing are usually pretty easy to pick.

Rowdy‏ @Rowdoss
think it's the right of media to theorise & speculate within reason.
Lyon didn't go unreasonably hard at a mistruth
Speculated on a report

I Must have missed the 'IF' in the online report on Garry's comments

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Playon
Club Player

Footy Classified last night Caro was saying something along the lines that purple was right and she had no doubts that Dempster would of played on had he of been selected for the seniors in round 1 Implying that Dempster was unhappy with the club. She said that Richo was just protecting his player and would of came out more forceful had the story been untrue.

Hutchy of course agreed with everything she said. Surprise Surprise, Hutchy looking after his footy show gig, and birds of a feather..

Honestly does anyone believe that crap?

Why is it that we need these journos on every show, Send them back to the papers. I've just about had enough of the 3 stoogers.

Then we see purple on every second afl website page, which I've already stopped clicking on.

Sorry I can find a link to it where you don't need to sign up

Griggsy
SS Life Member

Playon wrote:Footy Classified last night Caro was saying something along the lines that purple was right and she had no doubts that Dempster would of played on had he of been selected for the seniors in round 1 Implying that Dempster was unhappy with the club. She said that Richo was just protecting his player and would of came out more forceful had the story been untrue.

Hutchy of course agreed with everything she said. Surprise Surprise, Hutchy looking after his footy show gig, and birds of a feather..

Honestly does anyone believe that crap?

Why is it that we need these journos on every show, Send them back to the papers. I've just about had enough of the 3 stoogers.

Then we see purple on every second afl website page, which I've already stopped clicking on.

Sorry I can find a link to it where you don't need to sign up
Hutchy is the ring leader these days, CEO of Crocmedia and has a fair few football personalities under him (Barret is his pride and joy employee.)