How Important Is It To Beat WCE?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Re: How Important Is It To Beat WCE?

WellardSaint wrote:
longtimesaint wrote:
WellardSaint wrote:130 point loss on the cards.
The team is slow, undisciplined, unskilled and deflated.
Coaches are clueless, deluded, unimaginative and stubborn.

If the team had regrouped at halftime and reduced the damage, there would be hope.
Halftime is where you make a commitment.
Having "supporters" like you is the biggest liability the club has.
You live in WA -why don't you support wet toast and give as all a lift!
As long as the club acts as a sheltered workshop for unskilled
no-hopers like Gilbert and Geary, they are doomed to failure.
Geez don't get too positive on us

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
DJ Higgins
Club Player

We were not expecting to win this game so not that important. We are honestly going to be on the end a massive hiding simply because west coast is better. A lot better, Josh Kennedy is a gun that will kick a tonne unless Carlisle gets rid of the ring rust in a hurry. Mitchell has found a new gear and just when we got Gawned now we are going to get NicNaced. I hope Richo uses this week to send a message to the team and makes a lot of changes. Last weeks effort wasn't good enough and I literally mean effort.

loris
Saintsational Legend

DJ Higgins wrote:We were not expecting to win this game so not that important. We are honestly going to be on the end a massive hiding simply because west coast is better. A lot better, Josh Kennedy is a gun that will kick a tonne unless Carlisle gets rid of the ring rust in a hurry. Mitchell has found a new gear and just when we got Gawned now we are going to get NicNaced. I hope Richo uses this week to send a message to the team and makes a lot of changes. Last weeks effort wasn't good enough and I literally mean effort.
I'm sure they won't be selecting Nic Nac this week - amazing recovery if they do :shock:

DJ Higgins
Club Player

loris wrote:
DJ Higgins wrote:We were not expecting to win this game so not that important. We are honestly going to be on the end a massive hiding simply because west coast is better. A lot better, Josh Kennedy is a gun that will kick a tonne unless Carlisle gets rid of the ring rust in a hurry. Mitchell has found a new gear and just when we got Gawned now we are going to get NicNaced. I hope Richo uses this week to send a message to the team and makes a lot of changes. Last weeks effort wasn't good enough and I literally mean effort.
I'm sure they won't be selecting Nic Nac this week - amazing recovery if they do :shock:

My bad. I forgot he was injured. :oops: Just wanted to use the term nicnacked :D :roll:

loris
Saintsational Legend

DJ Higgins wrote:
loris wrote:

My bad. I forgot he was injured. :oops: Just wanted to use the term nicnacked :D :roll:
Well they have been 'nicked' of ruckmen of late. Drew Petrie was injured last week. I don't know if Lycett (? spelling/name) is over his injury & playing yet, so they might be (k)nackered to find a ruckman of any decent skill........ me hopes!!

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

It is probable, certainly possible, that we will face WC without Roo, Armo, Joey and Shinna. A chance to see what the near future will look like. Who will step up?

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

The coaches seem to hate promoting guys unless someone is injured. For some reason.
Tony74 mentioned last month that "nobody will play more than 20 games" because there will be lots of rotations.
Didn't happen last year, don't think it will happen.
Don't expect Acres to play until Rd 5 or 6.
They like players to sweat in the VFL forever and just keep them hungry.

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
wasaintsfan
Club Player

DJ Higgins wrote:
loris wrote:

too bad he isnt playing nic nac could've been paddy whacked =D

in seriousness though eagles supporters over here are already talking flags, its round 2. Good thing though as i put the annual workplace bet down, so confident on a WCE victory they bet 10 Cartons to my 1. I know it really is a long shot however would really be nice to go collect on monday.

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

cwrcyn wrote:30 degree heat, against a team with a superior midfield. No Riewoldt. The outcome is fairly obvious, I would think.
Rooey only missed the last 6 minutes of the match which was all over anyway. :roll:

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend

Is it too much to ask for the West Cokes players to bet a few grand on us at $5.50,
then throw the game?
"Come on, West Coke, it happens in rugby, you need to catch up with the bottom sniffers!
Imagine how much nose candy your guys could buy with the winnings"

:shock: :o :lol:

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

Jacks Back wrote:
cwrcyn wrote:30 degree heat, against a team with a superior midfield. No Riewoldt. The outcome is fairly obvious, I would think.
Rooey only missed the last 6 minutes of the match which was all over anyway. :roll:
Cwrcyn was referring to this weekend - not last, hence the use of the future term is as opposed to was.

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

So forecast is 29 now. But game starts at 4.35PM.

So the sting should be out of the syn by then and the average temp not too bad??? What do the Perth locals think?

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
loris
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:So forecast is 29 now. But game starts at 4.35PM.

So the sting should be out of the syn by then and the average temp not too bad??? What do the Perth locals think?
Yes temp revised down from 31 to 29 now.

On the positive side sRs - there have been cool winds coming in each night this week, and then the night time temp drops rather quickly........ infact it's been quite chilly after some balmy days, with the cooling winds. winds.

I was only thinking earlier today - what to wear Saturday night? They sit us opposition supporters staring into the glaring sun and it gets very warm indeed, sitting on plastic seats in a concrete stand. The sun won't be down behind the stands completely until possibly after 6pm. Though half the ground will be in shade from possibly just after 5pm. So that should give players some relief.

Then once the sun goes down, and IF the breeze comes in as it has been all this week it may get quite chilly. Which should give good playing conditions, though the ground & ball may be a little slippery. Need to wait & see what the humidity reading will be for that evening.

I guess, it all depends on how Saints have pulled up after that energy sapping humidity of last week. I hope all players have been very responsible with keeping up with their hydration regimes throughout the week. That's most important.

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

Sainter_Dad wrote:
Jacks Back wrote:
Cwrcyn was referring to this weekend - not last, hence the use of the future term is as opposed to was.
:oops: :oops: :oops:

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

I don't think it matters that much honestly. A loss this week and if we beat Brissy we've got a winnable game against Collingwood game and could be 2-2 which they wouldn't be that unhappy about. It's a long season and hard to get a read on all the teams form lines yet. A big loss would be a serious issue. Need to be competitive and not let them kick a big score.

spert
Saintsational Legend

You get in the finals by winning enough games, and every game you drop, is one less chance. I would hate us to miss the finals by one game (last week's rubbish loss). WCE are a hard task at home, but we will have a chance if we move the ball fast and run hard, as they are strong but not that quick.

shrodes
SS Life Member

spert wrote:You get in the finals by winning enough games, and every game you drop, is one less chance. I would hate us to miss the finals by one game (last week's rubbish loss). WCE are a hard task at home, but we will have a chance if we move the ball fast and run hard, as they are strong but not that quick.
Saw an analysis of this a couple of days ago - based on ELO model
http://www.espn.com/espn/feature/story/ ... on#StKilda

If we win, our estimated chance at finals jumps from 25% to 45%, if we lose it drops to around 20%.

SAAD
Club Player

Saints by 2 goals in a generation defining game!!!! :P :P :P :P :P :P :P

Billings 27 touches 2 goals
J Bruce 2 goals
T Membrey 2 goals
Blake Acres 67 disposals at 94 % efficiency

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

damienc wrote:Of course every game we play is important.

It's only round 2 and the season has a long way to go but......We really need to beat the Weagles or at least get mighty close.

While a win would be fantastic, what we really need to do is to play very well to set us up for the remainder of the year.

If we want to play finals then we will need 11 or more wins. Some years it has been as few as 10 wins, and other years you need 12 or more.

Our draw is harder than last year, and we have already lost to the Dees who we beat last year.

So to play in the finals we are going to need to win against some teams that we lost to last year like North while hanging on again teams that will have improved in the Dons and Tigers.

I think there are 12 odd games where we area good chance, but we need to win all of them unless we snag wins against others. I actually think that we have very few "gimmee" games and will probably have to have some wins against say the Hawks in Tassie to make up for some of the wins below that we do not achieve.

With respect to the WCE, if we win I will view it as a bonus. If we lose, then we need to lose by still playing well as otherwise it could be looking very ugly by the end of Round 11.

STK v MELB LOSS
WCE v STK
STK v BL WIN 1
COLL v STK WIN 2
STK v GEEL WIN 3
HAW v STK
STK v GWS
STK v CARL WIN 4
STK v SYD
WB v STK
ADEL v STK
NMFC v STK WIN 5
STK v GCFC WIN 6
FRE v STK WIN 7
STK v RICH WIN 8
STK v ESS WIN 9
SYD v STK
PORT v STK
STK v WCE
MELB v STK WIN 10
STK v NMFC WIN 11
RICH v ST WIN 12

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
suss
Club Player

I'll be looking forward to see how our backline goes. Kennedy always towels us up - can Jake shut him down?

If we make the game hard, we are in with a chance, coz they're massive downhill skiers over there.

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

Might be a bit generous with my odds of a Saints win, but overall it gives an idea at this point in time.
880% rounds up to nine wins for the year. I reckon that'll be around the mark, give or take. 8-10 wins for the year.

WCE v STK 5%
STK v BL 85%
COLL v STK 50%
STK v GEEL 30%
HAW v STK. 40%
STK v GWS. 30%
STK v CARL 75%
STK v SYD 30%
WB v STK 40%
ADEL v STK 15%
NMFC v STK 50%
STK v GCFC 30%
FRE v STK 60%
STK v RICH 50%
STK v ESS 50%
SYD v STK 20%
PORT v STK 30%
STK v WCE 40%
MELB v STK 50%
STK v NMFC 50%
RICH v ST 50%

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend

Umpires.
From a post in May 2016 after we got belted at Subi: (frees 12 us, 23 West Coke)
"WEST Coast is the most protected team in the AFL.
The Eagles have won a staggering 349 more free kicks than they have conceded in the past five years — a differential three times bigger than their nearest rival.
But it’s at Subiaco, at the aptly nicknamed “House of Pain”, where West Coast gets the biggest advantage from whistleblowers."
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/t ... cedb3bd45c

Priddis and his ducking mates will get lots of head-high.
And in front of their goal, when our guys are caught holding, or our defenders grab high (Lonie!) or push them.
Centre and around the ground bounces- frees because of our inability to deal with the no third man rule.

I noticed Brown and Jake the Snake get in front of their opponents, nicely, but got used as stepladders.
It's gonna happen again, boys and girls.

Free kicks will crucify the sainters

saint64
Club Player

WellardSaint wrote:Umpires.
From a post in May 2016 after we got belted at Subi: (frees 12 us, 23 West Coke)
"WEST Coast is the most protected team in the AFL.
The Eagles have won a staggering 349 more free kicks than they have conceded in the past five years — a differential three times bigger than their nearest rival.
But it’s at Subiaco, at the aptly nicknamed “House of Pain”, where West Coast gets the biggest advantage from whistleblowers."
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/t ... cedb3bd45c

Priddis and his ducking mates will get lots of head-high.
And in front of their goal, when our guys are caught holding, or our defenders grab high (Lonie!) or push them.
Centre and around the ground bounces- frees because of our inability to deal with the no third man rule.

I noticed Brown and Jake the Snake get in front of their opponents, nicely, but got used as stepladders.
It's gonna happen again, boys and girls.

Free kicks will crucify the sainters
From memory we got even fewer frees against them in 2015. Didn't we get the lowest for the year of any team in any game?

saint64
Club Player

Just looked it up - it was 23 to 6 frees in 2015!

saint64
Club Player

Here we go - a table of least frees in a game:

http://afltables.com/afl/stats/teamshi.html#l12