How Important Is It To Beat WCE?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

damienc
Club Player

How Important Is It To Beat WCE?

Of course every game we play is important.

It's only round 2 and the season has a long way to go but......We really need to beat the Weagles or at least get mighty close.

If we're going to be serious contenders, we must be able to win interstate. Certainly last year, we couldn't and didn't. It was a major flaw in our game plan.

And fresh from taking a midfield hammering from the Dees we head to Perth which has traditionally been a graveyard for us.

Our season is not derailed if we lose.

I am not suggesting that for one moment

But my confidence in our abilities will be compromised if we lose and cop a hiding.

So we have every incentive (I would have thought) to go out and get the job done. Or if we can't quite get it done, show some fight and some purpose with a scoreline that reflects our endeavours.

Under those circumstances, losing would be no disgrace. Winning is better. Obviously. It could a defining moment and the kick start we need to get us back on track.

But if we lose, it will be a question of how we lost and whether it proves we still haven't figured out why we can't win away from Etihad.

This team has to give us a reason to believe. Well here is their chance. Let's all hope they don't drop the ball. On the road. Again.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Re: How Important Is It To Beat WCE?

how important is it not to get our hopes up and overate ourselves.

this way you will emotionally be able to cope with this weekend.

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

130 point loss on the cards.
The team is slow, undisciplined, unskilled and deflated.
Coaches are clueless, deluded, unimaginative and stubborn.

If the team had regrouped at halftime and reduced the damage, there would be hope.
Halftime is where you make a commitment.

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
longtimesaint
Club Player

WellardSaint wrote:130 point loss on the cards.

If the team had regrouped at halftime and reduced the damage, there would be hope.
Having "supporters" like you is the biggest liability the club has.
You live in WA -why don't you support wet toast and give as all a lift!

One year will be our year
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Contenders for what?

We won't win the flag this year. Well, it's highly unlikely- even prior to round 1.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

longtimesaint wrote:

As long as the club acts as a sheltered workshop for unskilled
no-hopers like Gilbert and Geary, they are doomed to failure.

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
longtimesaint
Club Player

WellardSaint wrote:
longtimesaint wrote:

As long as the club acts as a sheltered workshop for unskilled
no-hopers like Gilbert and Geary, they are doomed to failure.
It takes one to know one!

Choppa
Club Player

Wellardsaint is clueless, deluded, unimaginative and stubborn.

longtimesaint
Club Player

Choppa wrote:Wellardsaint is clueless, deluded, unimaginative and stubborn.
And that's his good points!

prwilkinson
SS Hall of Fame

Considering it's statistically important to be in the eight given it rarely changes after Round 8 it's kind of important. At this stage, I'm throwing it out there that we'll be 4-4 and banging on the door after round 8. Pretty much exactly where we're at. Hopefully we keep getting better as the season goes on.

SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

prwilkinson wrote:Considering it's statistically important to be in the eight given it rarely changes after Round 8 it's kind of important. At this stage, I'm throwing it out there that we'll be 4-4 and banging on the door after round 8. Pretty much exactly where we're at. Hopefully we keep getting better as the season goes on.
Having looked our fixture for the first ten rounds, I think we could very well be 2-8 by the bye.

Until we have an administration that demands success and a playing group that bleeds for the guernsey, St. Kilda will just be a sh*tty football club.
longtimesaint
Club Player

SydneySainter wrote:
prwilkinson wrote:Considering it's statistically important to be in the eight given it rarely changes after Round 8 it's kind of important. At this stage, I'm throwing it out there that we'll be 4-4 and banging on the door after round 8. Pretty much exactly where we're at. Hopefully we keep getting better as the season goes on.
Having looked our fixture for the first ten rounds, I think we could very well be 2-8 by the bye.
That would put us bottom four -don't you think that is an overreaction to the round 1 loss?

Saint wagga
Club Player

It's super important to win. West Coast aren't an unbeatable powerhouse and we should be thinking we can beat them, especially if we get some old school rebound after a rocket from the coach.

SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

longtimesaint wrote:
SydneySainter wrote:
That would put us bottom four -don't you think that is an overreaction to the round 1 loss?
It probably is, but I do think that we have one of weakest midfields in the comp and seeing as we're coming up against the Eagles, Cats, Hawks, Giants, Pies, Swans and Dogs prior to the bye, it's hard to see how our midfield will get on top, especially when the Dees have already exposed our blatant weakness.

Until we have an administration that demands success and a playing group that bleeds for the guernsey, St. Kilda will just be a sh*tty football club.
prwilkinson
SS Hall of Fame

SydneySainter wrote:
longtimesaint wrote:
SydneySainter wrote:
It probably is, but I do think that we have one of weakest midfields in the comp and seeing as we're coming up against the Eagles, Cats, Hawks, Giants, Pies, Swans and Dogs prior to the bye, it's hard to see how our midfield will get on top, especially when the Dees have already exposed our blatant weakness.
Yeah... all fair points. 4 - 4 from me is maintaining a positive outlook.... things could easily slip away after a couple of thumpings and zero confidence.

prwilkinson
SS Hall of Fame

No rooey or armo for this weekend... I'm going to be hiding under the couch cushions with one eye on the television watching this one. Does anyone know how many times St Kilda have beaten West Coast at Subiaco?

And another quick little winge.... Every F**KING season... 2 trips to Adelaide and Subiaco... How many times have we even played Port Adelaide in Melbourne since '97... 5???? Good old AFL.....

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

Realistically, we're at long odds. I'd even suggest that subconsciously, you'd look at the draw and conceded this one and hope to limit the damage. In practice, the coach can use this week as extra motivation. Poor showing last week, seemingly impossible task this week, externally written off, cokeheads a little overconfident perhaps. It is a bit of old-fashioned "us against them" psychology, but it is not entirely out of place. As long as the coaches determine what went wrong in the gameplan execution and tactics last week and work hard to correct it, I think we'll be competitive. If we lose, it's no biggy. 0-2 is not a disaster. Several other favourites for the finals could be facing the same scenario. With the filth and Brisbane to come at our home in the following fortnight, we should be able to balance the ledger by round 4.

As for being 2-8 at the bye, I sincerely doubt that will be the case. Remember, last year we were 4-7 at the half way mark and missed on percentage only. The competition will be very even this year, with only Brisbane and Carlton having no hope of making the eight. Twelve wins with a healthy percentage should be enough to get you in. I'd be rapt to get into the finals, get at least one under our belt and launch for 2018, which is when I think we'll be due. Anyway, way too early for some of this speculation. If we win on the weekend, we'll be back to dreaming of premierships, not doom. As I stated earlier, stay calm and carry on. At ease, as you were etc.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
longtimesaint
Club Player

SydneySainter wrote:
longtimesaint wrote:
SydneySainter wrote:
I don't think we have one of the weakest midfields in the comp which view was on the basis of one loss.
We were good enough to beat Cats, Pies, Dogs last year and should have beaten Hawks.
I am confident we will be 5-5 at the bye or better hopefully.

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

After losing the 8 point game to Melbourne, if we do not win this one we are in significant trouble I think. Not from a ladder position, that can be rectified, not from a 'tilt at the flag' position, that will come - but from a morale and supporters position. We are aiming at 42K members - if we are 2-2 after a month of football looking towards 2-8 we are going to be hard pressed to sell any more memberships.

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

I don't condone gambling but WCE are paying $1.16 for the win. That's a 16% ROI in less than a day.
Bank interest for a 3 month term deposit is around 2.5% p.a.
16% for WCE to win against a team that can't win interstate looks like a good option.

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

Sainter_Dad wrote:After losing the 8 point game to Melbourne, if we do not win this one we are in significant trouble I think. Not from a ladder position, that can be rectified, not from a 'tilt at the flag' position, that will come - but from a morale and supporters position. We are aiming at 42K members - if we are 2-2 after a month of football looking towards 2-8 we are going to be hard pressed to sell any more memberships.
Your point about membership, SD, is crucial in all this. Round one loss? Normally no biggie from a football position, with nine others in the same boat and five worse off than us. However, the damage to the momentum of your membership drive is a biggie. A solid win over a fellow finals rival, one who is supposedly on the same trajectory as ourselves, would've confirmed our hopes and sense of optimism. The phones would've been running hot in the membership department this week. A loss, especially in such an ordinary manner, will have the ones we want to capture, the bandwagon jumpers, backing away and hedging their bets. Losses like that can cost you 1-2K members. That translates into a lot of cash and has flow on effects into all sorts of other areas. Even a close, heroic loss wouldn't have been as much of a potential momentum killer.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
jays
Club Player

luv to get up but really a 30-40 point loss would be an ok result ImageImage
ImageImage

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

SydneySainter wrote:
eagles 5%
brisbane 85%
pies 50%
geelong 30%
hawthorn 40%
gws 20%
carlton 80%
sydney 30%
dogs 40%

i make us as favourites in two games and equal in one.
by percentage 38% so four wins a possibility. i'll go with three. be very happy with four.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
prwilkinson
SS Hall of Fame

White Winmar wrote:
Sainter_Dad wrote:After losing the 8 point game to Melbourne, if we do not win this one we are in significant trouble I think. Not from a ladder position, that can be rectified, not from a 'tilt at the flag' position, that will come - but from a morale and supporters position. We are aiming at 42K members - if we are 2-2 after a month of football looking towards 2-8 we are going to be hard pressed to sell any more memberships.
Your point about membership, SD, is crucial in all this. Round one loss? Normally no biggie from a football position, with nine others in the same boat and five worse off than us. However, the damage to the momentum of your membership drive is a biggie. A solid win over a fellow finals rival, one who is supposedly on the same trajectory as ourselves, would've confirmed our hopes and sense of optimism. The phones would've been running hot in the membership department this week. A loss, especially in such an ordinary manner, will have the ones we want to capture, the bandwagon jumpers, backing away and hedging their bets. Losses like that can cost you 1-2K members. That translates into a lot of cash and has flow on effects into all sorts of other areas. Even a close, heroic loss wouldn't have been as much of a potential momentum killer.
I was actually thinking about this during the match. Reminded me of Rooey's 300th. One of the VERY few times a half decent home crowd has shown up in 5 years and the players serve up that shite. It's not a good look.

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

30 degree heat, against a team with a superior midfield. No Riewoldt. The outcome is fairly obvious, I would think.