How do they do it?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Saintlester
Club Player

How do they do it?

Living here in Adelaide we naturally get saturated with coverage of Port and Crows.

so just out of interest I looked at 4 of the Crows best players from Sunday, McGovern, Cameron, Laird and Atkins. Now I think that any of those four would walk into our side at the moment. But what interested me is where they were drafted and how good they have become in such a short time.

McGovern was Pick 43, Laird Pick 86(rookie upgrade), Cameron(rookie) and Atkins Pick 81.

Imagine the speed of Cameron in our midfield, the marking of McGovern up forward and the line break and delivery of Laird off half back.

Last Sunday Laird had 40 at 85%DE. Between these four they contributed 7 goals. Probably set up a few more.

So I wonder is it that they spot talent better, or is it that they have more money and resources to better develop their players? Or are we missing out somewhere in the development of our own players or not spotting the potential of players such as these?

I know it's Round 1 but these guys all produced pretty good seasons last year as well.

Anybody have any thoughts on this?

stevie
Saintsational Legend

Re: How do they do it?

Yeah I watched most of that game and it seemed like their newer players were the ones who set up the win. Sometimes the drafting by clubs hits the jackpot straight up. its a bit of a lottery I guess

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Throw in Milera as well.
They never went down. Got penalties over Tippet and their youngsters are better than our youngsters.

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

I think you'll find the crows are better resourced than us in the recruiting area. They have a whole state full of scouts who work for little or nothing, so don't come under any football department salary cap restrictions. Their setup has always been awesome, from the facilities to their networks. Green with envy, I am. While getting early picks really helps in getting obviously elite talent in, the development of what you get in is just as important. We've come a long way in both these areas in the last few years. We're closing the gap. Patience, grasshopper.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
Saint wagga
Club Player

I think this sort of debate might be better made towards the end of the home and away season - We have done very very well with some recycled players and lower draft picks, Weller, Membrey, Bruce, Steele all spring straioght to mind. Correct me if i'm wrong but i don't think a single member of our leadership group was a first round pick!! Correction Armo was but you get my drift.

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

That may also be seen as indictment on the quality of our first round selections, SW.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!