Hawks 1st round pick watch

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Re: Hawks 1st round pick watch

Postby ace » Fri 21 Apr 2017 11:12am

jays wrote:hawkes will 100% finish bottom 5 we killed thiss deal ImageImage
Image
ImageImage


Don't forget we only got this pick because we gave up our 2016 first rounder pick 10.
If we had kept that pick we would have been picking player 12 in the 2016 draft.

So far we have got Ben Long and Josh Battle out of the deal.
Now all we have to do is implement in 2017.
If we have one of the top 5 picks we need to get one of the best 5 players.
If we get a dud all we have for our 2016 first rounder is Long & Battle.
Last edited by ace on Fri 21 Apr 2017 11:13am, edited 1 time in total.
The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
User avatar
ace
Saintsational Legend
 
Posts: 6450
Joined: Sun 16 Dec 2007 3:28pm
Location: St Kilda

Re: Hawks 1st round pick watch

Postby MC Gusto » Fri 21 Apr 2017 11:13am

Would be funny to swap it back for jaeger!!
#1 Acres fan
User avatar
MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend
 
Posts: 4260
Joined: Tue 09 Mar 2004 8:29am

Re: Hawks 1st round pick watch

Postby saynta » Fri 21 Apr 2017 12:32pm

st.byron wrote:
saynta wrote:
st.byron wrote:
markp wrote:
Effectively, he could not have said no.

I remember Ball, Max, Roo crying after losing games.

Funny that you went and cried to the mods about being called a dill.. didn't you post something about school prefect types the other day?

And really sad that calling someone a dill is deemed deserving of a warning (then having it edited out like something truly vile was said).


Damned if we warn and damned if we don't. Where exactly is the line?
Agree it's a very soft warning. Agree I /we don't always get the balance exactly right. Can't please everyone.
Am very wary of giving warnings for something like calling someone a dill as it sets a pretty tight precedent. Maybe I got it wrong this time, especially as there was content after that setting out the poster's knowledge.
By the book though, it's a rule breach. By the book is not necessarily the best way to go though IMO. Context, history, humour all need to be taken into account. Happy to accept that was a very soft warning and in this case a PM to the poster would have been better.

Saintmatt, apologies.


:roll:


So, calling someone a dill is now okay.

What about calling someone a moron?

I would have thought the rules prevented any personal attack. Not so evidently.

Then u compond your error by apologising.


Like I said, can't please everyone. There will be people reading I'm guessing who feel a warning in that context was over the top and happy that I said so.
It's all about context. Calling someone a dill is hardly an earth shattering insult. But yes, it's derogatory and by the book, against the rules.
The best course of action, in hindsight, would have been to send Saintmatt a PM letting him know he'd stepped over the line and a PM to yourself letting you know that had been done. Everyone would have probably been satisfied with that and we'd move on.
Moderating, IMO, is not about just about strictly applying the rules. The post needs to be considered in context and the history of the poster needs to be considered. Sometimes, it's just a clear warning, sometimes there's grey and it's not just B&W.
In this case, on reflection, I felt I was a bit hasty and zealous. Didn't give due consideration because I did it when in a hurry. When I looked at his post and use of "dill" again, he did back it up with some decent arguments and didn't just play the man. And it was at the very soft end of the spectrum of possible insults.

The reason I backtracked is because I'm wary of setting a precedent of warning for every minor slight. Trying to find a balance with that.
Clearly, this is not my finest hour as a mod. Sorry. I'm human and vulnerable to stuffing up from time to time.



No worries mate.

s
saynta
Saintsational Legend
 
Posts: 4539
Joined: Wed 10 Mar 2004 3:53pm

Re: Hawks 1st round pick watch

Postby Joffa Burns » Fri 21 Apr 2017 1:30pm

BigMart wrote:Isaac Smith is a seagull


Agree, but it is very handy to have a couple of fast seagulls on the outside who can run and break the lines come finals time. I'll happily take a seagull who gets 25 touches and kicks 3 in a GF. 8-)
Last edited by Joffa Burns on Fri 21 Apr 2017 1:43pm, edited 1 time in total.
'Doesn't mean that much to me, to mean that much to you'
User avatar
Joffa Burns
SS Life Member
 
Posts: 3231
Joined: Tue 09 Mar 2004 5:48pm
Location: I stand 196mm and speak in a high pitch voice like a jockey!

Re: Hawks 1st round pick watch

Postby Con Gorozidis » Fri 21 Apr 2017 1:33pm

I am enjoying this thread and story unfolding :-)
User avatar
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend
 
Posts: 21947
Joined: Thu 19 Jun 2008 4:04pm

Re: Hawks 1st round pick watch

Postby st.byron » Fri 21 Apr 2017 3:30pm

saynta wrote:
st.byron wrote:
saynta wrote:
st.byron wrote:
markp wrote:
Effectively, he could not have said no.

I remember Ball, Max, Roo crying after losing games.

Funny that you went and cried to the mods about being called a dill.. didn't you post something about school prefect types the other day?

And really sad that calling someone a dill is deemed deserving of a warning (then having it edited out like something truly vile was said).


Damned if we warn and damned if we don't. Where exactly is the line?
Agree it's a very soft warning. Agree I /we don't always get the balance exactly right. Can't please everyone.
Am very wary of giving warnings for something like calling someone a dill as it sets a pretty tight precedent. Maybe I got it wrong this time, especially as there was content after that setting out the poster's knowledge.
By the book though, it's a rule breach. By the book is not necessarily the best way to go though IMO. Context, history, humour all need to be taken into account. Happy to accept that was a very soft warning and in this case a PM to the poster would have been better.

Saintmatt, apologies.


:roll:


So, calling someone a dill is now okay.

What about calling someone a moron?

I would have thought the rules prevented any personal attack. Not so evidently.

Then u compond your error by apologising.


Like I said, can't please everyone. There will be people reading I'm guessing who feel a warning in that context was over the top and happy that I said so.
It's all about context. Calling someone a dill is hardly an earth shattering insult. But yes, it's derogatory and by the book, against the rules.
The best course of action, in hindsight, would have been to send Saintmatt a PM letting him know he'd stepped over the line and a PM to yourself letting you know that had been done. Everyone would have probably been satisfied with that and we'd move on.
Moderating, IMO, is not about just about strictly applying the rules. The post needs to be considered in context and the history of the poster needs to be considered. Sometimes, it's just a clear warning, sometimes there's grey and it's not just B&W.
In this case, on reflection, I felt I was a bit hasty and zealous. Didn't give due consideration because I did it when in a hurry. When I looked at his post and use of "dill" again, he did back it up with some decent arguments and didn't just play the man. And it was at the very soft end of the spectrum of possible insults.

The reason I backtracked is because I'm wary of setting a precedent of warning for every minor slight. Trying to find a balance with that.
Clearly, this is not my finest hour as a mod. Sorry. I'm human and vulnerable to stuffing up from time to time.



No worries mate.

s



Cheers.
User avatar
st.byron
Saintsational Legend
 
Posts: 7542
Joined: Tue 14 Jun 2005 7:04pm
Location: Mullum

Re: Hawks 1st round pick watch

Postby st.byron » Fri 21 Apr 2017 3:31pm

MC Gusto wrote:Would be funny to swap it back for jaeger!!


Speaking of which, he's again not selected this week. Very expensive car to have sitting in the garage not being used.
User avatar
st.byron
Saintsational Legend
 
Posts: 7542
Joined: Tue 14 Jun 2005 7:04pm
Location: Mullum

Re: Hawks 1st round pick watch

Postby saintsRrising » Fri 21 Apr 2017 3:34pm

Ch7 and Foxtel I assume must be happy with saints fans boosting the viewing numbers for Hawks games :wink:
Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
User avatar
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend
 
Posts: 26245
Joined: Mon 15 Mar 2004 11:07am
Location: Off to St Kilda Scotland in 2018

Re: Hawks 1st round pick watch

Postby Enrico_Misso » Fri 21 Apr 2017 10:53pm

Typical Caaaaaarlton scum putting in a surge for #1 pick.
"Understand that you are all custodians of the St Kilda Football Club...you are responsible for making the difficult decisions to make this Club great. Those decisions will not always be popular, for popular decisions are easily made - but those that will truly make us great are those that challenge us most." - Allan Jeans as told to Chris Pelchen 2012.
User avatar
Enrico_Misso
Saintsational Legend
 
Posts: 9332
Joined: Tue 13 Jun 2006 12:11am
Location: Moorabbin Chapter of The Royal Society of Hagiographers

Re: Hawks 1st round pick watch

Postby Bluthy » Fri 21 Apr 2017 11:44pm

st.byron wrote:
MC Gusto wrote:Would be funny to swap it back for jaeger!!


Speaking of which, he's again not selected this week. Very expensive car to have sitting in the garage not being used.


How is Freeman going?
Bluthy
Saintsational Legend
 
Posts: 4068
Joined: Wed 29 May 2013 8:05pm

Re: Hawks 1st round pick watch

Postby suss » Sat 22 Apr 2017 4:55pm

Any chance the lions pip the dogs? That would be delish ...
suss
Club Player
 
Posts: 1529
Joined: Sun 22 May 2005 11:42pm

Re: Hawks 1st round pick watch

Postby saint3d » Sat 22 Apr 2017 5:40pm

Bluthy wrote:
st.byron wrote:
MC Gusto wrote:Would be funny to swap it back for jaeger!!


Speaking of which, he's again not selected this week. Very expensive car to have sitting in the garage not being used.


How is Freeman going?


He's played as many games as the kid Collingwood got with the pick we traded for him. But we can pretend we sold the farm for him if you like.
User avatar
saint3d
Club Player
 
Posts: 731
Joined: Thu 23 Aug 2007 8:34pm
Location: M14

Re: Hawks 1st round pick watch

Postby Rosco » Sat 22 Apr 2017 11:42pm

saint3d wrote:
Bluthy wrote:
st.byron wrote:
MC Gusto wrote:Would be funny to swap it back for jaeger!!


Speaking of which, he's again not selected this week. Very expensive car to have sitting in the garage not being used.


How is Freeman going?


He's played as many games as the kid Collingwood got with the pick we traded for him. But we can pretend we sold the farm for him if you like.


freeman is a camry and he needs a bit of love and attention. he's not a ferrari that's missing an axle.
User avatar
Rosco
Club Player
 
Posts: 1922
Joined: Tue 14 Jun 2011 5:40pm
Location: Hughesdale

Re: Hawks 1st round pick watch

Postby Sainter_Dad » Sun 23 Apr 2017 8:26am

Rosco wrote:
freeman is a camry and he needs a bit of love and attention. he's not a ferrari that's missing an axle.


I am hoping Freeman is at least a WRX - but point taken about the Ferrari
“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes
Sainter_Dad
SS Hall of Fame
 
Posts: 2473
Joined: Thu 05 Jun 2008 1:04pm

Re: Hawks 1st round pick watch

Postby saintspremiers » Sun 23 Apr 2017 9:07am

The Swines are continuing to push hard for a good pick also
i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend
 
Posts: 23253
Joined: Tue 01 Feb 2005 4:25pm
Location: Trump Tower

Re: Hawks 1st round pick watch

Postby Kate » Sun 23 Apr 2017 9:53am

Disappointed that Sydney and North both lost. Was hoping for a bit of a buffer.
User avatar
Kate
Club Player
 
Posts: 1044
Joined: Wed 07 Jul 2004 1:58pm
Location: Emerald

Re: Hawks 1st round pick watch

Postby BackFromUSA » Sun 23 Apr 2017 9:58am

So now we have to barrack for Sydney, North, Brisbane and Carlton (ok that last bit is impossible) until they have enough wins to stay on top of Hawthorn???
AwayInUSA no longer ... have based myself back in Melbourne for a decade of Saintsational Success (with regular trips back to the USA)

"Saintsational Player Sponsor 2007 - 2012"
User avatar
BackFromUSA
SS Life Member
 
Posts: 3679
Joined: Tue 09 Mar 2004 12:38am

Re: Hawks 1st round pick watch

Postby SaintPav » Sun 23 Apr 2017 10:30am

Hawks won't finish on the bottom. It will end up being a pick 5-8 or thereabouts.
User avatar
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend
 
Posts: 9211
Joined: Wed 16 Jun 2010 9:24pm
Location: Alma Road

Re: Hawks 1st round pick watch

Postby saint3d » Sun 23 Apr 2017 1:15pm

Sainter_Dad wrote:
Rosco wrote:
freeman is a camry and he needs a bit of love and attention. he's not a ferrari that's missing an axle.


I am hoping Freeman is at least a WRX - but point taken about the Ferrari


I agree. Maybe we bought a Camry thinking it was a WRX, but that's not the same as clearing out the Lamborghini and the Maserati to make room for the Ferrari.
User avatar
saint3d
Club Player
 
Posts: 731
Joined: Thu 23 Aug 2007 8:34pm
Location: M14

Re: Hawks 1st round pick watch

Postby desertsaint » Sun 23 Apr 2017 2:21pm

saint3d wrote:
Sainter_Dad wrote:
Rosco wrote:
freeman is a camry and he needs a bit of love and attention. he's not a ferrari that's missing an axle.


I am hoping Freeman is at least a WRX - but point taken about the Ferrari


I agree. Maybe we bought a Camry thinking it was a WRX, but that's not the same as clearing out the Lamborghini and the Maserati to make room for the Ferrari.

we bought a wrx, hoping we could fix it's blown engine, now we're hoping the cheap camry engine we've replaced it with will get it up and running again.
"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
User avatar
desertsaint
Saintsational Legend
 
Posts: 6740
Joined: Sun 27 Apr 2008 2:02pm
Location: out there

Re: Hawks 1st round pick watch

Postby Goose is king » Sun 23 Apr 2017 7:12pm

If the Eagles don't want to be called flat track bullies anymore they better get into gear and win for us
Goose is king
Club Player
 
Posts: 1557
Joined: Sun 27 Jan 2008 9:05am

Re: Hawks 1st round pick watch

Postby Fidelis » Sat 29 Apr 2017 5:34pm

If the Roos get up against the suns tonight, Hawks slide to #17!
Faithful Even Unto Death
Fidelis
Club Player
 
Posts: 242
Joined: Sun 07 Jan 2007 12:35am

Re: Hawks 1st round pick watch

Postby SuperDuper » Sat 29 Apr 2017 5:39pm

Fidelis wrote:If the Roos get up against the suns tonight, Hawks slide to #17!


I still recon the Swans will end up winning a few as well and leapfrog Hawks...
although they have more insentive to tank

Hawks clearly a bottom 4 side though... Hope we get a gun!
SuperDuper
Club Player
 
Posts: 841
Joined: Sun 25 Mar 2012 9:45pm

Re: Hawks 1st round pick watch

Postby WellardSaint » Sat 29 Apr 2017 5:42pm

Banner:
"Our Jacks Will Be Nimble
Our Jacks Will Be Quick
Saints Say Thanks
For The First Round Pick"

hahahahaha

Better than the Bulldogs banners!!!
We need new assistant coaches.
The current ones are underperforming. "Player development" is a phrase that means nothing at Seaford.
Who has developed? Who has gone backwards this year?
User avatar
WellardSaint
SS Life Member
 
Posts: 3710
Joined: Sat 26 May 2012 11:25am
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

Re: Hawks 1st round pick watch

Postby The Fireman » Sat 29 Apr 2017 5:47pm

Is fighting your guts out for a number one pick an oxymoron ?
User avatar
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend
 
Posts: 6478
Joined: Mon 08 Mar 2004 11:54pm

PreviousNext

Return to Saintsational Fan Forum (open to all ages)

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider], Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], L.A. Saint and 3 guests